g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

crossy1686

career ending
He's not the sort of manager to come in and wait 2-3 years whilst we build a squad he needs a team ready to go to be effective. In fact when his side isn't in absolute prime position to challenge he's a bang average manager that gets fired after falling out with half the players and board

Anybody wanting Tuchel to come in and babysit a squad overall is fecking clueless
Every single manager in a job has a priority to win games and improve the team, that stands for United all the way down to Preston North End. If Tuchel is the man that can best get the most out of this squad then he should be hired, if he's not then he shouldn't. We absolutely should not be hiring anyone who is under the impression they have to wait years to start winning games of football on a regular basis.

Reyoji-Utd

We dont need manager to be like SAF to lead us to glory, we just need the manager to come in and be competent tactically and training wise, and be part of the team. The structure and Ineos should be the backbone of the parth back to glory not the saviour we looking for in manager.

We have to give away the thinking that we have to have a second SAF. The new structure is the ones to build the squads, evaluate the progress and performance of managers and players. You look at the most winning teams in the world and you see that most of their owners or top management teams are ruthless and conduct things in business manners and dont over compensate with emotions. Real, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea (under Ambramovich) are ruthless with managers and always go for the best in class and if they not performing, gone they are.

Gone are the days that we should pin our hope in one man to lead us back to glory, managers and coaches should be one of the cogs in a well run machine.

idek2346

How does anybody look at that team and genuinely think this is the manager to guide United in the long term?

He is an absolute coward and doesn't represent what this club stands for. Instead of giving new youth players a chance he chooses to play a half-crocked Jonny Evans and Eriksen Both players will be off in the summer anyways. Coward.

Roboc7

We shouldn’t just be looking for an upgrade on ETH though. We need someone who can come in with good man management, good tactically. Can build a squad and improve us consistently. I guarantee if we get Tuchel we’ll be looking for another manager in 2 years time. We need someone to lead us into this new era… whoever that may be will be lucky as it will be the first ever time we have actual football people running things above.
But whoever we bring in is likely to be gone within 2-3 years and the manager isn’t going to building the squad.

I actually don’t think whoever comes in now is going to be lucky because there is still more to be done in terms of the structure and it will take time before start reaping the real benefits. But the expectations won’t reflect that, and it will longer be an excuse for the manager. It’s probably luckier to get the job in 2-3 years time.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Because that's the only success story he has in a big league. He effectively bombed just now with Bayern too.
Defends ETH ruthlessly, despite a horror show of a season.

Claims Tuchel bombed because he's lost out to an unbeaten team in the league, but is still in the Semi Finals of the CL, where they were the better team in the first leg.

OK then.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Defends ETH ruthlessly, despite a horror show of a season.

Claims Tuchel bombed because he's lost out to an unbeaten team in the league, but is still in the Semi Finals of the CL, where they were the better team in the first leg.

OK then.
My views on Tuchel has feck all to do with ten hag. Stop trying to crowbar ten hag into every debate, you're obsessed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Get him in if they lose on Wednesday, promise we'll give them a good deal on our dynamic and exciting manager.

Tuchel can have a holiday during the euros.

Pscholes18

Should of jumped on Nagelsmann when they had the chance. I really only see Tuchel as a stop gap......his football isn't all that exciting.....only thing he would do is not take any diva shite from some of these playerrs.

ManRed

Get Tuchel, I want to be excited for the weekend and want results now. Not give excuses to build a team over 3 seasons.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Every single manager in a job has a priority to win games and improve the team, that stands for United all the way down to Preston North End. If Tuchel is the man that can best get the most out of this squad then he should be hired, if he's not then he shouldn't. We absolutely should not be hiring anyone who is under the impression they have to wait years to start winning games of football on a regular basis.
Now days it's all about style of play, gone are the days you bring in "winners". You basically at the DOF level decide your style of play and get a coach that can implement it effectively and results will follow - that's the theory anyway. It's on the recruitment and technical team to generate the pipeline from purchases and the academy to make sure the squad is fit for purpose. The manager interviewing will have to agree with the style of play we're looking to implement and then assess with the football hierarchy what's needed to implement it effectively. I think Tuchel the most likely to get us winning quickly and available. I kind of have no idea if he's a long term fit as we still don't really know what the long term vision is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just pointing out double standards.
There are no double standards - why don't you actually read my posts :lol:.
My qualms with Tuchel is he was most dominant with a 5 at the back system that may not suit the way we want to play + he's highly combustible as a character. I think he's obviously a very well established coach outside of that.

I tipped Xavi or Enrique ahead of him, but with neither available he'd probably be chosen out of lack of options. That managerial open market has nothing to do with Ten Hag.

Lee565

At least he knows how to get the best out of mount, that is one thing going for him.

Plus he has the charisma that is needed at this club

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
My qualms with Tuchel is he was most dominant with a 5 at the back system that may not suit the way we want to play + he's highly combustible as a character. I think he's obviously a very well established coach outside of that.

I tipped Xavi or Enrique ahead of him, but with neither available he'd probably be chosen out of lack of options. That managerial open market has nothing to do with Ten Hag.
I'm just referring to you saying that he's 'bombed', nothing about his tactics etc. I just thought it was a bit rich given your defence of ETH over the course of this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just referring to you saying that he's 'bombed', nothing about his tactics etc. I just thought it was a bit rich given your defence of ETH over the course of this season.
I think Ten Hag bombed this season too. What's your point? There's nothing hypocritical, nor is there any double standards about my view.

STYLOISRED

My qualms with Tuchel is he was most with a 5 at the back system that may not suit the way we want to play + he's highly combustible as a character. I think he's obviously a very well established coach outside of that.

Tuchel didn't play the back 5 until Chelsea.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tuchel didn't play the back 5 until Chelsea.
Yes, and I've addressed this. He looked most dominant playing this and it was great. However it was 5 at the back and not suited to how we play.

His 4 at the back systems have been underwhelming with Bayern, and he did well with PSG in the silo of the French League. But that's about it.

I actually don't mind him too much after more thought, but I do worry about his character & ability to live up to the style we want.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes, and I've addressed this. He looked most dominant playing this and it was great. However it was 5 at the back and not suited to how we play.

His 4 at the back systems have been underwhelming with Bayern, and he did well with PSG in the silo of the French League. But that's about it.

I actually don't mind him too much after more thought, but I do worry about his character & ability to live up to the style we want.
Also reached the UCL final. The only manager in the history of the club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

He also had Dortmund play their strongest possession football ever with a 4231 system after he took over from Klopp. They were actually dominating games, much more than his Chelsea team.

Gfooty

He also had Dortmund play their strongest possession football ever with a 4231 system after he took over from Klopp. They were actually dominating games, much more than his Chelsea team.
Ah yes possession football. Where have we seen that before which worked out like a charm.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Also reached the UCL final. The only manager in the history of the club.
Can't remember their route, think it was vs Leipzig and Atalanta at the hardest to get there. He got sacked when they were 3rd in the league after (no surprise), falling out with the higher ups. Like with Dortmund, like with Chelsea, like now with Bayern. That's my worry.
Sorry - forgot Dortmund, I agree he did well there.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can't remember their route, think it was vs Leipzig and Atalanta at the hardest to get there. He got sacked when they were 3rd in the league after (no surprise), falling out with the higher ups. Like with Dortmund, like with Chelsea, like now with Bayern. That's my worry.
Also eliminated Dortmund. And topped the group with Real Madrid.

But yes, I think it might well be that his best is past him. And realistically speaking, we want someone better than peak Tuchel. But he is superior to EtH in virtually every aspect of the game.

I definitely would have gone for someone unknown and promising. The likes or Iraola, McKenna, de Zerbi (but he would cost a lot), Michel or so.

Baxquux

Also eliminated Dortmund. And topped the group with Real Madrid.

But yes, I think it might well be that his best is past him. And realistically speaking, we want someone better than peak Tuchel. But he is superior to EtH in virtually every aspect of the game.

I definitely would have gone for someone unknown and promising. The likes or Iraola, McKenna, de Zerbi (but he would cost a lot), Michel or so.
I could see a 2+1 deal with Tuchel (short contract for highish wage and big bonuses) and the club provisionally making contact with a few coaches of the kind you're describing (ala City's practice, where they tapped Pep 2 years early, then apparently sounded out De Zerbi's interest in taking over when Pep leaves. though maybe plans changed now given how season has gone) to potentially take over for a longer-term project in 2026. We know Ireola and McKenna are both on club's radar.

Revan

Assumptionman
Actually LVG was obsessed with possession football
There is nothing wrong with possession football, or any brand of football, if implemented correctly. Heck, even catennacio can be entertaining if done right.

Also, I wouldn't call Tuchel a possession-football manager, same as I wouldn't call Klopp. But on modern football, keeping the ball quite a lot is very important, which is why most top managers prioritize keeping the ball even if they are not as strict as it as say Pep.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
There is nothing wrong with possession football, or any brand of football, if implemented correctly. Heck, even catennacio can be entertaining if done right.

Also, I wouldn't call Tuchel a possession-football manager, same as I wouldn't call Klopp. But on modern football, keeping the ball quite a lot is very important, which is why most top managers prioritize keeping the ball even if they are not as strict as it as say Pep.
I mentioned it and it's a fact that Tuchel massively improved Dortmund's possession play when he took over (an urgently needed change at the time as their previous setup was found out). Nonetheless I agree that he isn't dogmatic towards it, it's just what he did there.

Gfooty

People seem to forget he got sacked from his last 4 jobs. All that comes to mind when I think of him is boring football and shades of a crazy man (I'm sure you can fill in some moments).

Might as well get Jose back or LVG. They've both gotten trophies for their teams which is argument #1 for getting Tuchel in.