Television Tiger King (Netflix Documentary)

Sylar

Theres gonna be a new episode / reunion type episode (official date not said, but looks like it could be this month)?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Of course Joe's campaign manager sold him ammo at Walmart. 'Murica. :lol:

Ivor Ballokov

My question to that is why can’t her cats go to that place in Colorado or similar? 1200 square feet with occasional holidays in 1-2 acres is terrible no matter how you look at it.

https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/
I'm not defending her or the sanctuary, i'm merely trying to make sure the criticism is heading in the right directions if it is warranted.

I don't know the answer to your question to be honest, are there lots of places like these that have lots of room for all the cats that need rescuing? Maybe these places think BCR is the lesser of two evils and look to save animals from worse situations. None of it is ideal, humans are pretty terrible.

Rick88

The CCTV footage was a hard watch. It was 30 seconds of showing someone react the way to such an incident in a brutal and in your face manner. Had I been in Joshua's (the campaign manager) place, pretty sure my reaction would have been the same.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trying to figure out who's the creepiest, Doc Antle, Carole or Carole's husband.
Doc Antle may be the smartest of them all. Creepy guy though for sure.

I'm 5 episodes in but so far I find Jeff Lowe to be the sleaziest of them all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What about the moment when Jeff and his wife were choosing baby sitters? Creepy as fock.
Yeah that was fecked. He clearly just sees women as something that should be seen and not heard, cretin. Baffles me aswell how some people (his girlfriend) will allow themselves to be treated like that for money/exotic animals.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Aren’t they in an open relationship, though? Or at least invite other women into their bed? That behaviour and attitude towards women is probably par for the course for those two.

Classical Mechanic

Aren’t they in an open relationship, though? Or at least invite other women into their bed? That behaviour and attitude towards women is probably par for the course for those two.
She’s pretty obviously his partner in crime and was in on the scam all along if you ask me. She certainly didn’t come across as a victim at any point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol: Trump just asked if he's planning on pardoning Joe Exotic at his presser.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Does she? I've asked this a few times without getting an answer.

They claim to be a non-profit, also it seems that they do pay some staff, having a mix of volunteer and salaried staff is not uncommon for non-profit/charities.

The average CEO of a non-profit makes $120k a year. Some make far higher, making bank while making your people work for free is highly unethical. Especially when those people are working full time and not like they're helping out for a few hours a week. She used to breed big cat cubs herself, she leases them out for photoshoots, she offered people a volunteer slot they had to pay $3k for saying they could pet tiger if it was sedated for a medical procedure, she's no different to the rest of them she just takes tigers from one cage and puts them in her own, makes money from them and then plays woe is me for the camera.

Last edited:

Bojan11

:lol: Trump just asked if he's planning on pardoning Joe Exotic at his presser.

New York post reporter too.

People dying in his City, but nope I’d ask about a racist shit bag who treated everyone like shit including his animals to get a pardon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
New York post reporter too.

People dying in his City, but nope I’d ask about a racist shit bag who treated everyone like shit including his animals to get a pardon.
I should've known when he complemented the ratings for Trump's pressers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I didn't enjoy it at all. Stopped watching after 10 mins of episode 2. Why glorify these despicable dickheads?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The thing with the defence of Carol of "Oh but she only used to do that, now she is nice" is that, ok fine, perhaps she is a changed person having seen the error of her ways and she now no longer is engaged with abusive practices of animals, but her past abuses should provide sufficient concern as to prevent her current involvement with animals.

You wouldn't stand an orphanage sponsored by Gary Glitter regardless of his claims to character reformation.

Edit: Although still didn't feed hubby.

Classical Mechanic

I think Joe is the only protagonist in the series that’s hard to square. He founded the zoo in honour of his deceased brother and ironically it started out as what big Carol Baskins’s big cat rescue ended up as, whilst she started out doing what Joe became in the end.

Somewhere along the way through his substance abuse and narcissistic tendencies he got lost but I think his primary motivation was always to keep the zoo going in honour of his brother GW.

Thats not to say he doesn’t deserve to serve some time in prison for his transgressions but I do t think that there‘s a good person in there somewhere. I couldn’t really say that for the likes of Doc Antle, Jeff Lowe and the other various deplorables in the show.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Joe is the only protagonist in the series that’s hard to square. He founded the zoo in honour of his deceased brother and ironically it started out as what big Carol Baskins’s big cat rescue ended up as, whilst she started out doing what Joe became in the end.

Somewhere along the way through his substance abuse and narcissistic tendencies he got lost but I think his primary motivation was always to keep the zoo going in honour of his brother GW.

Thats not to say he doesn’t deserve to serve some time in prison for his transgressions but I do t think that there‘s a good person in there somewhere. I couldn’t really say that for the likes of Doc Antle, Jeff Lowe and the other various deplorables in the show.
Meth, tigers and a healthy dose of narcissism - what could possibly go wrong.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I actually didn't think it was that entertaining.

The format seemed to largely be:

1. Joe threatens / mocks / abuses Carole
2. A documentary participant comments on how much Joe hates Carole
3. Rebuttle from Carole (or sometimes her husband to mix it up)
4. Repeat

Carole potentially killing her husband was interesting. Seems a lot like she did it.

And the fire was so obviously Joe's doing.

Overall, it was alright. Can't say I quite see all the fuss.

Ivor Ballokov

The average CEO of a non-profit makes $120k a year. Some make far higher, making bank while making your people work for free is highly unethical. Especially when those people are working full time and not like they're helping out for a few hours a week. She used to breed big cat cubs herself, she leases them out for photoshoots, she offered people a volunteer slot they had to pay $3k for saying they could pet tiger if it was sedated for a medical procedure, she's no different to the rest of them she just takes tigers from one cage and puts them in her own, makes money from them and then plays woe is me for the camera.
The general ethics of CEO of a non-profit taking a salary while other people volunteer is up for debate, you said she 'profits massively' but haven't actually proven that.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm not trying to defend her, some of your other points are valid (albeit some appear to be historic).

The thing with the defence of Carol of "Oh but she only used to do that, now she is nice" is that, ok fine, perhaps she is a changed person having seen the error of her ways and she now no longer is engaged with abusive practices of animals, but her past abuses should provide sufficient concern as to prevent her current involvement with animals.

You wouldn't stand an orphanage sponsored by Gary Glitter regardless of his claims to character reformation.

Edit: Although still didn't feed hubby.
People are capable of change. I don't think that comparison stands up to any kind of scrutiny either.

Alabaster Codify7

It was entertaining! Just finished it. There was only likeable/sound person on the show though for me, the zoo manager with no legs. Can't remember his name. He seemed like a reasonably alright guy in comparison to menagerie of horrors he was surrounded by.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why is Jeff Lowe's girl still with him? Why are Doc Antle's women still with him?

Classical Mechanic

Why is Jeff Lowe's girl still with him? Why are Doc Antle's women still with him?
They’re sociopaths. They see themselves as highly powerful and important people and project that onto those that may have a weaker sense of self. I mean if you took a tiger to the local pub and made it behave whilst people petted it, do you‘d pull?

Zarlak

The general ethics of CEO of a non-profit taking a salary while other people volunteer is up for debate, you said she 'profits massively' but haven't actually proven that.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm not trying to defend her, some of your other points are valid (albeit some appear to be historic).

People are capable of change. I don't think that comparison stands up to any kind of scrutiny either.
You offered up that she was a non profit as a reply to my saying that she profits, my post was pointing out that that's irrelevant because the average CEO of a non profit makes between double to triple the average salary in the US. It's not a defence to say that she's a non profit.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I didn't enjoy it at all. Stopped watching after 10 mins of episode 2. Why glorify these despicable dickheads?
They do anything but glorify them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You offered up that she was a non profit as a reply to my saying that she profits, my post was pointing out that that's irrelevant because the average CEO of a non profit makes between double to triple the average salary in the US. It's not a defence to say that she's a non profit.
From what little I watched she seemed to be running a zoo with maybe slightly larger enclosures? Trying to stop mass cat breeding and the shopping center shows is good but being less despicable than the others in that show is a very low bar.

Zarlak

From what little I watched she seemed to be running a zoo with maybe slightly larger enclosures? Trying to stop mass cat breeding and the shopping center shows is good but being less despicable than the others in that show is a very low bar.
Yup she absolutely runs a zoo, she literally has an AR zoo right now you can go do - https://bigcatrescue.org/ar-zoo/ with - get this - a poster you can point your camera at that says 'want to pet a tiger cub?'.

They spend the show bemoaning that the culture of petting tiger cubs is wrong and then encourage it, albeit in digital form. You'd think they'd want nothing to do with the association but no. Like it was said in the show, their marketing is incredible. From breeding cats themselves, to offering people the chance to pet a tiger if they pay $3k for a 'volunteer slot' and even recently mooting the idea on Facebook that they could open a Bed & Breakfast on site so people can pay to be closer to the animals - they're just pretending at this point that they're an animal rescue and they're just using the cats to make money. They aren't rescuing the cats from anything, they're just moving them from one location to another.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I enjoyed it. They're all terrible people, but I did take a liking to Joe for whatever reason during the first couple of episodes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They make them seem like kooky eccentrics (or did until the point we stopped watching).
Even within the first two episodes we see Joe more concerned about his finances than the wellbeing of his employee that had her arm ripped to shreds. Doc is seen as someone who coerces vulnernable women to join his harem of silicone pumped sex slaves, while Carole, well, Carole is a hypocritical murderer. Not a single person (expect maybe the longhaired keeper who doesn't seem to give a feck about anything) come off well.

Ivor Ballokov

You didn't say she profits, you said she "profits massively", my pointing out it is registered non-profit was more to say if she is taking all this money out then wouldn't somebody have noticed?

It basically boils down to this

You: Carole makes massive profits.
Me: Prove it.
You: The average CEO makes...

This doesn't actually answer my main question at all. Again, I'm not defending her, my pitchfork is sharpened and ready for action, I just would like to see some evidence.

Giggs86

Trying to figure out who's the creepiest, Doc Antle, Carole or Carole's husband.
Carole's husband is way more creepier than all of them combined.

Doc Antle is not a creep, he's just the typical cult leading orgy loving dude.

Jeff is probably the biggest scumbag piece of shit on TV.

And Joe is just the Michael Scott version of a zoo instead of the office.