Timewasting in football; featuring Newcastle's timewasting

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Reading that they were at it to ridiculous levels again tonight against Arsenal. A mere 5 minutes were added on.

They were a disgrace against us also. I can't remember how much was added on but it wasn't enough.

One of their biggest tricks is having Pope amble out 40 yards to pass a free kick one yard to a defender after a foul/offside. That's just one of their tricks.

Something needs to be done about them. I can't ever remember seeing a team as bad for time wasting.

Swedish_Plumber

Reading that they were at it to ridiculous levels again tonight against Arsenal. A mere 5 minutes were added on.

They were a disgrace against us also. I can't remember how much was added on but it wasn't enough.

One of their biggest tricks is having Pope amble out 40 yards to pass a free kick one yard to a defender after a foul/offside. That's just one of their tricks.

Something needs to be done about them. I can't ever remember seeing a team as bad for time wasting.
You’d think they’d learn their lesson after being punished for it against Liverpool, but obviously haven’t quite escaped their minnow mentality yet.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You have to get an early goal against them otherwise you're fecked.

They're even worse than atletico for gods sake.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wasn't that bad tonight, has been way worse in other games

arnie_ni

Do you reckon its coached? Like they take an hour a week and practice it? :lol: They've perfected it.

CallyRed

Think Eddie Howe must have spent time with Atletico when he was out of work.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
They can do as they please, as long as United twat them for it I don't care.

Goes to show why they have drawn eight games this season and lost only the once, shithousery works if it's done right.

If they don't turn those draws into wins they may suffer for it by missing out on the top 4.

RedDevilRoshi

Nothing new with that lot. They literally are the Atletico Madrid of the PL with their antics.

mu4c_20le

They can do as they please, as long as United twat them for it I don't care.

Goes to show why they have drawn eight games this season and lost only the once, shithousery works if it's done right.

If they don't turn those draws into wins they may suffer for it by missing out on the top 4.
This. It also shouldn't take away the excellent job Howe is doing. They were very well organized today and Arsenal struggled with them from start to finish.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They are a year ahead of their 'project' but apparently so are the brown envelopes.

Amazing Santos

The whole game was a waste. They made it a scrappy game with foul after foul with players surrounding the referee.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Wasn't that bad tonight, has been way worse in other games
wasn't that bad tonight??

literally every free kick took a minute, because the played it long with every player up front. they were on the ground nearly all 5 minutes with some another injury. Pope took years for every goal kick.

sadly the refs accepting this with giving only 5 minutes extra time

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't the PL just enforce world cup timekeeping?

Timewasting largely stopped when 18 minutes were getting added on.

Andy_Cole

literally every free kick took a minute, because the played it long with every player up front. they were on the ground nearly all 5 minutes with some another injury. Pope took years for every goal kick.

Sounds like our game. Need to implement World Cup added time rules.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Of course the Arsenal thinks it was bad, I could have said they were way worse against us but I didn't

Ole'sattheWheel

Can't get this one situation out of my head at OT when we had a throw in near their box and Dalot went to take it quickly to one of our players who was free in the box. Dan Burn literally just slapped it out of his hand mid throw and the newcastle team just passed it around on the pitch for 20 seconds while they all got back into position.

Ref did nothing. Infuriating

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They’ve had 8 draws this season. They just suck the life out of every game they play and shithouse themselves up the league.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And of course the only time their blatant time-wasting is punished is at Juanfield.

Typical shite

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Of course the Arsenal thinks it was bad, I could have said they were way worse against us but I didn't
In todays game, the ball was in play for 43 minutes out of a 90 minute match. Thats mental.

They really need to apply the WC timekeeping to stamp this out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pope such an ideal keeper for them in these scenarios.

He'd constantly re-spot the ball at goal kicks even when the side he needed to take it was obvious when he was at Burnley.

I'm surprised they still time waste to such extremes given they lost in 98th minute at Liverpool but guess Howe is calculating on probabilities and since then they've got excellent 0-0s at Man. United and Arsenal so made up that lost point.

Some sides are worse than others but all teams will time waste hugely in a season when they're on the brink of a huge result away from home.

Idxomer

Yep, it was pathetic and as bad as it was against United.

There's barely any football gets played in most of their games, especially in those 2nd halves.

PoTMS

The cnuts had the cheek to complain about Leeds timewasting against them on Saturday when they are by far the worst team in the league for it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
In todays game, the ball was in play for 43 minutes out of a 90 minute match. Thats mental.

They really need to apply the WC timekeeping to stamp this out.
They did a really good job to disrupt the flow of the game, and Arsenal did not have the tool to break them down. It is what it is.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Still hurting about that Odegaard thread i see :lol:

nufc-forever

Supports
newcastle
They’ve had 8 draws this season. They just suck the life out of every game they play and shithouse themselves up the league.
Redcafe logic #1- Newcastle play boring- while the fact is we scored more than man utd and conceded less.

Redcafe logic #2- Newcastle bought their success - while the fact is we spent a bit more than Nottingham Forest while our record signing played only 3 games, while man utd themselves spent fortune and have one if not the highest wage bill in world football.

Redcafe logic #3- ETH is amazing manager. While he is a decent manager, with the money you spent it would be criminal not to finish top 4.

The one thing I completely agree (with most of members) is since Ronaldo left you became a much better side and top 4 place is for you to lose.

I would appreciate if someone will explain me why your fans hate the glazers, for the average football fan the only thing that matters is how much the owner is spending in the 2 windows and they spent the most in world football, why are they so hated? and sorry for my english.

Brunsama

Think Eddie Howe must have spent time with Atletico when he was out of work.
Funnily enough that’s exactly what Howe did! He spent a lot of time with Atletico during his break, which many are crediting his improved management to.

Mind you the thought of Simeone teaching a masterclass in shithousery is equal parts hilarious and depressing.

doomza

Think alot of people don't watch this Newcastle team much which is fair but at least just say that rather than making daft comments. I'm at Uni there so watch more of their games than anyone else bar United and they are generally a very aggressive, high pressing attacking team. Their defence is rock solid but don't have much creativity or quality in attack hence the high number of draws. They struggle against low blocks and when sides sit back like Leeds in the second half, or Palace and Bournemouth. They tend to drop points against the weaker sides not because they are anti football or timewasting but mainly because half their squad is championship standard. It's personally why I don't think they're ever a threat to top 4 this season unless they make a couple big signings in January.

We were unlucky not to beat them but Arsenal shouldn't have any complaints. Think they made the keeper make one decent save but other than that offered very little and had the ref massively in their favour. Ref had a bit of a stinker all-round being honest.

Newtonius

Correct time should be added on in the case of free kicks and what have you otherwise they are well within the rights to play the game however they like its up to the opposition to stop them doing it. Remember United timewasting for 20 minutes at Blackburn to win the league? Im sure nobody were complaining then a team do what they must to succeed.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

The whole game was a waste. They made it a scrappy game with foul after foul with players surrounding the referee.
Much of their games are revovled around this. They don't play cohesively as well as others in the league for example but they have intensity. It's the intangible elements of the game they thrive at. The comparison with Ath Madrid is in this respect an accurate one.

AJ VII

Worst team in the league. In our game against them they timewasted from the first second. Shocking that the referees just stand there like a zombie allowing them to do so. If I was a referee it would give me great pleasure booking them and letting the game go on in soft situations against them.

It seems like they have studied Atletico and tries to emulate their blueprint for success. If this isnt stopped every PL team will start doing this and it would be horrible for the entertainment of the league.

caid

Theres easy and obvious solutions to time wasting. Stopclock or World Cup rules.
It doubt it'll pay off in the end. Its hard to go from playing at a snails pace against Arsenal to showing some urgency against Bournemouth or whoever. 8 draws in 18 isn't a good record.
They should address it because its boring as feck to watch.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It is a genuine problem and just not adequately addressed at all by the league or its referees.

The average PL match has the ball in play around 55 minutes, which is already too low. This match had the ball in play 43 minutes 40 seconds, so literally less than half the match.

It's just stupid when one side can use a tactic that effectively shortens the match by 20%. Bad from a sporting perspective, even worse from an entertainment perspective.