Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
1. I believe they've stayed at the same pressurisation throughout so there is no issue with what you'd get as a scuba diver, where you do decompression stops to negate the affects.

2. You'd be crushed, imagine the force of the water would literally enter your body.

Not the same but extreme pressure on the body, it's grim; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

Medical investigations were carried out on the remains of the four divers. The most notable finding was the presence of large amounts of fat in large arteries and veins and in the cardiac chambers, as well as intravascular fat in organs, especially the liver.[3]: 97, 101  This fat was unlikely to be embolic, but must have precipitated from the blood in situ.[3]: 101  The autopsy suggested that rapid bubble formation in the blood denatured the lipoprotein complexes, rendering the lipids insoluble.[3]: 101  The blood of the three divers left intact inside the chambers likely boiled instantly, stopping their circulation.[3]: 101  The fourth diver was dismembered and mutilated by the blast forcing him out through the partially blocked doorway and would have died instantly.[3]: 95, 100–101 

Coward, Lucas, and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Investigation by forensic pathologists determined that Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the crescent-shaped opening measuring 60 centimetres (24 in) long created by the jammed interior trunk door. With the escaping air and pressure, it included bisection of his thoracoabdominal cavity, which resulted in fragmentation of his body, followed by expulsion of all of the internal organs of his chest and abdomen, except the trachea and a section of small intestine, and of the thoracic spine. These were projected some distance, one section being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.[3]: 95 

Bear in mind, this was the pressure of 9-1 of air pressure. So 900m to 0 pressure change instantly did that. Cannot imagine what it was with several hundreds times more pressure with a denser medium.
That is quite the story.

Zen86

I know. They’re also an engineering marvel of the ancient world.

Some folks, like me, appreciate and visit them for both reasons.

I’m sure many people do. But I doubt people would visit them if they were built with a crane by some bloke in 1972. People visit them because they were built by thousands of slaves in an ancient civilisation, for grand pharaohs to travel to the afterlife. If you’re not bothered by any of that though, I’m not here to tell you what you should and shouldn’t be interested in.

crossy1686

career ending
Anybody that’s in the queue to do this now is even more mental than those that just went.

but there will always be someone I guess
Unfortunately this just raises awareness and attracts more people. They'll be two 'Titan's' this time next year. It's like all those people who have died on Everest this year has just made more people sign up for next year.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Anybody that’s in the queue to do this now is even more mental than those that just went.

but there will always be someone I guess
In the future, any riders all need to sign a waiver that they will not be getting any assistance if there is a catastrophic event like this one. Foolish to waste & endanger assets to come to the rescue of five more dilettante rich feckers.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
After all of this, I wouldn't be surprised if the lone piece of the debris surviving was the Logitech controller. Dem yokes do be built like 3210s

HTG

Supports
Bayern
In all seriousness IF it did implode, chances are that it was the window which wasn’t certified for that depth?
So they were killed by the one thing most likely to kill them? How ironic.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Apparently the landing frame and a hatch have been discovered close to titanic in debris field. Hull still not found.
Reports from Sky News...

Last edited:

mitChley

Yeah but surely they had equipment that could reach that depth otherwise death is definitely coming at some point.
The whole thing was uncertified. I'm sure it must have had some equipment that was certified to the depth, but key items like the port hole was only certified to about 30% the depth they needed, and the body wasn't at all.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: :lol:didn't you read the thread ? The whole thing was uncertified and tourists had to sign a waiver.
Yeah but you have to sign a waiver when you have surgery so that kind of shit is mandatory for anything with the slightest bit of risk. But I mean surely the thing was certified to go to the depths they were going? It's like putting shelves up that have a weight capacity of 20kg then stacking 50kg on them and being surprised when they come crashing down.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So what does a hull implosion look like? Would they have just been squashed instantly?
It's kind of the equivalent of dropping a car on a sealed plunger with air inside it, but replace car with a cylinder of water reaching as high as Mount Fuji and as wide as the submersible. Heavy as feck.

The force of the water compresses the air in the submersible so fast that it creates a shock wave (a thin layer of air through which violent and sudden physical and chemical changes can happen) and large increases in air temperature and pressure. So you simultaneously boil, have your eardrums and soft membranes ruptured (internally and externally), and get ripped apart (blunt force trauma) due to the heated pressurized air, the shock wave, and the force of the water that is now entering this relative vacuum.

This happens in milliseconds.

crossy1686

career ending
The whole thing was uncertified. I'm sure it must have had some equipment that was certified to the depth, but key items like the port hole was only certified to about 30% the depth they needed, and the body wasn't at all.
Holy shit, that's insane. So why would you get in it then? It's fecking stupid in fact.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Yeah but surely they had equipment that could reach that depth otherwise death is definitely coming at some point.
On Jan. 18, 2018, OceanGate employee David Lochridge forwarded to the company's leaders an engineering report he had authored that was critical of OceanGate's research and development process for the Titan, according to lawsuits Lochridge and OceanGate filed against one another that year.

In particular, Lochridge was concerned about the materials used in the hull and a lack of testing performed on the hull to measure its ability to withstand the intense pressures of deep waters.

The company called a meeting the next day to discuss Lochridge's concerns, according to the lawsuits. At the conclusion of the meeting, Lochridge stated he could not accept OceanGate's design decisions and would not authorize any crewed voyage without further testing. He was then fired.

OceanGate filed a lawsuit against Lochridge in June and July of 2018 alleging he had discussed confidential information with at least two other people. Lochridge countersued in August 2018, denying that and claiming that OceanGate's lawsuit was an effort to discourage "whistleblowers from coming forth with quality control issues and safety concerns that threaten the safety of innocent passengers."

OceanGate did not respond to requests for comment. Lochridge, through his lawyer, said he had no comment. Kohnen said his letter was not based on Lochridge's complaints.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Where have you been?

The whole craft was uncertified. No one was willing to sign it off as safe, and the mad bloke that built it wore that as a badge of honour as he saw himself as an innovator and thought rules would just slow his "innovation" down.

It was a can with a window, controlled by an ancient PC gamepad, with a milk carton behind a curtain for a toilet, and a couple of shit benches for "comfort".

crossy1686

career ending
It's kind of the equivalent of dropping a car on a sealed plunger with air inside it, but replace car with a cylinder of water reaching as high as Mount Fuji and as wide as the submersible. Heavy as feck.

The force of the water compresses the air in the submersible so fast that it creates a shock wave (a thin layer of air through which violent and sudden physical and chemical changes can happen) and large increases in air temperature and pressure. So you simultaneously boil, have your eardrums and soft membranes ruptured (internally and externally), and get ripped apart (blunt force trauma) due to the heated pressurized air, the shock wave, and the force of the water that is now entering this relative vacuum.

This happens in milliseconds.
So you're essentially liquidised within a couple of seconds? Jesus that's grim but still better than waiting 4 days to die and knowing you're going to die.

I knew they would have been crushed but I didn't know the other stuff so thanks for that.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
And that's just a vacuum at 1 atmosphere. The pressure differential 4km down would surely be orders of magnitude greater than that. If it imploded I think it would have been literally and instantly obliterated. I don't think they'd have any time to feel pain, or possibly even notice.

The Firestarter

Yeah but you have to sign a waiver when you have surgery so that kind of shit is mandatory for anything with the slightest bit of risk. But I mean surely the thing was certified to go to the depths they were going? It's like putting shelves up that have a weight capacity of 20kg then stacking 50kg on them and being surprised when they come crashing down.
In one of the videos shared the waiver was read out loud partially. You are signing that you are boarding a vessel that is not certified in any official way.

mitChley

So you're essentially liquidised within a couple of seconds? Jesus that's grim but still better than waiting 4 days to die and knowing you're going to die.

I knew they would have been crushed but I didn't know the other stuff so thanks for that.
They wouldn't even survive a couple of seconds, it's basically instant death.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Sadly I'm pretty sure it's in pieces buy now. It must have been since they lost contact. The materials Lochridge was concerned about obviously didn't hold up. The depths of the ocean is a force you don't take lightly or mess with.

crossy1686

career ending
Where have you been?

The whole craft was uncertified. No one was willing to sign it off as safe, and the mad bloke that built it wore that as a badge of honour as he saw himself as an innovator and thought rules would just slow his "innovation" down.

It was a can with a window, controlled by an ancient PC gamepad, with a milk carton behind a curtain for a toilet, and a couple of shit benches for "comfort".
Tried to avoid the story, a bit macabre to think about a bunch of people sitting on the ocean floor with no chance of rescue just waiting to run out of oxygen and die. Now I know they're dead I'm interested in the post mortem of what went wrong.

But yeah, capitalism right?