Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Potentially some good news, BBC reporting that sonar has picked up 'banging sounds' in the search area, which have not stopped for the several hours since they were first detected.

Likely the occupants know that rescue vessels are looking for them and are doing everything they can to be heard.

If found, the hard part of bringing them to the surface is yet to come.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
That's... Crass...

In some 3rd world country you lot are by their standards more than wealthy your basic citizen benefits can worth a couple months of their salary. Doesnt make it less of a tragedy and joke worthy if you died while taking a skiing trip or a hot air balloon trip they deemed a luxury
100%

To most of the world, westerners, even the less well off ones, live decadent lavish lives; some people have no appreciation for the fact that they're doing pretty damned well if the'yre able to sit in a warm home, well fed, and post on an internet connected device about how terrible the rich are.

I don't really see how people being wealthy makes the victims of any tragedy any less worthy of sympathy, regardless.

...and also, these guys aren't all just playboys going on a jolly. One is an ex-French navy diver and Titanic fanatic, two more are experienced submariners. I just don't get the angst about the fact that they have money.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Settle down you lot. This isn't the general and despite the bizarre tweets from the step son please post appropriately. I've deleted a huge number of posts but from now on we will be thread banning and warning people, and we would much rather not have to do that.

Toblerone92

While some of the comments I’ve seen online are disgusting, I find it equally obscene that the coverage of 5 billionaires going missing gets ten times the coverage that the boat sinking in the Mediterranean got last week, which had hundreds of people on board.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
While some of the comments I’ve seen online are disgusting, I find it equally obscene that the coverage of 5 billionaires going missing gets ten times the coverage that the boat sinking in the Mediterranean got last week, which had hundreds of people on board.
Certainly where I am there was a huge amount of coverage of the refugee boat sinking. And we knew almost straight away that they weren't going to be finding people alive much after the fact.

News isn't only interesting and newsworthy based on one factor and something as iconic as the Titanic being involved in something so dramatic, where the outcome is both uncertain and stretched over a number of days, is bound to be reported. It would be weird if it wasn't. Whoever was onboard this would be a major story. If it is a bigger story because a few rich people are onboard, I'd say that people gloating/finding it funny that rich people are "getting their comeuppance" is more a reason rather than because we find them more important that others less fortunate.

I've done recreational things that poor people couldn't and some of them involved more danger than sitting at home watching TV but I don't think I deserved to die or that my death would be a comedic event. Not that I'd have cared of course. Being dead. But it might have been rather unnecesary and cruel on my family.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
[Mod Edit comment]

in all seriousness I keep hearing why is it so difficult to find them when they are tethered
The vessel is not tethered. The launch platform is tethered to the support boat but once the dive commences the submersible operates independently.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65942426

This was top story on the BBC both online nationally and internationally and on TV on the day the BBC broke it, a huge amount of work would have gone into this.

This tragedy has not been ignored at all and the fact that we all know immediately which story you are referring to, shows it also got and will continue to get significant coverage.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What is the significance of the banging sounds?
They are regular and could not be made naturally, therefore the assumption is, the people in the sub are making them to try and help people find them.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don’t get it. How can they hear banging sounds and not see the thing? Or do sounds travel hundreds of miles under water?!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That's horrific. I'm surprised something like that could be picked up at all.
Sound travels a long long way underwater and the people on the sub would know that sonar (which works using sound waves) is the main tool being used by the rescuers.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don’t get it. How can they hear banging sounds and not see the thing? Or do sounds travel hundreds of miles under water?!
Because water is denser than air, a sound wave will travel much faster and further underwater and appear louder.

wr8_utd

:'(
What is the significance of the banging sounds?
Underwater noises have been detected by a Canadian aircraft in the search area for the missing submersible, the US Coast Guard’s Northeast District has announced.

Searches yielded negative results but will continue.
Might not be that promising.

prateik

If its underwater, its quite likely all the way at the bottom, right?

How are they going to send something down and pull this out anytime soon?

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
That's... Crass...

In some 3rd world country you lot are by their standards more than wealthy your basic citizen benefits can worth a couple months of their salary. Doesnt make it less of a tragedy and joke worthy if you died while taking a skiing trip or a hot air balloon trip they deemed a luxury
That's.....not the point I was making.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

100%

To most of the world, westerners, even the less well off ones, live decadent lavish lives; some people have no appreciation for the fact that they're doing pretty damned well if the'yre able to sit in a warm home, well fed, and post on an internet connected device about how terrible the rich are.

I don't really see how people being wealthy makes the victims of any tragedy any less worthy of sympathy, regardless.

...and also, these guys aren't all just playboys going on a jolly. One is an ex-French navy diver and Titanic fanatic, two more are experienced submariners. I just don't get the angst about the fact that they have money.
Totally missed the point, like almost deliberately, not sure what "westerners" has got to do with anything I posted.

People's online sympathy, especially in situations like this is, comes across sometimes as vapid virtue signalling, highlighting that you care so much, especially when their ire is on other forum users rather than say, the idiot who built a Xbox controller submarine and ignored safety legislation.

When people make light of a situation through gallows humour or joking about some absurdities, there's a huge group of moralising hall monitors who see an opportunity to show everyone how much "better" they are by lambasting people who see the humour in a bleak and grim situation.

I guarantee that in a different and perhaps worse crisis, such as the migrant boat in the Med, no one will be cracking jokes but also crucially, none of the people here criticising other posters will really be expending any effort to discuss or talk about that in detail.

Feel this tweet hits the nail ont he head.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If its underwater, its quite likely all the way at the bottom, right?

How are they going to send something down and pull this out anytime soon?
I think that's the huge issue, finding them is only the first step, getting them upto the surface safely is a huge issue especially when you've only got limited time before the oxygen runs out.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think that's the huge issue, finding them is only the first step, getting them upto the surface safely is a huge issue especially when you've only got limited time before the oxygen runs out.
Given there's 30 hours of Oxygen left and just finding them also seems an incredibly difficult task, I just don't see how this ends well.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

If they can locate it, it might just be a case of connecting the tether and reeling them back. Easier said than done but hopefully they're found.

Mainly so the CEO can face prosecution, be sued and go out of business.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Totally missed the point, like almost deliberately, not sure what "westerners" has got to do with anything I posted.

People's online sympathy, especially in situations like this is, comes across sometimes as vapid virtue signalling, highlighting that you care so much, especially when their ire is on other forum users rather than say, the idiot who built a Xbox controller submarine and ignored safety legislation.

When people make light of a situation through gallows humour or joking about some absurdities, there's a huge group of moralising hall monitors who see an opportunity to show everyone how much "better" they are by lambasting people who see the humour in a bleak and grim situation.

I guarantee that in a different and perhaps worse crisis, such as the migrant boat in the Med, no one will be cracking jokes but also crucially, none of the people here criticising other posters will really be expending any effort to discuss or talk about that in detail.
Have seen a few people make this type of comment.

I find it surprising that given people feel so strongly about this, why they haven't created a thread to talk about that incident, rather than join one discussing something that they feel is obscene that it is getting so much attention.

I actually think the sinking of the migrant boat had a lot of coverage on the news (and rightly so). The fact that there seems to be a coverup involved in that on the part of the Greek authorities makes it likely it will continue to do so. Actually, my first thought about the sinking of that boat was how utterly crazy it is that the incident had 1/3 of the fatalities of the Titanic disaster, yet one is a tragedy that has been talked about and remembered for 111 years, whilst the other is sadly the latest tragedy in a long line of tragedies of people losing their lives seeking a better, safer, or more peaceful life. And whilst it is getting media coverage, it will ultimately be replaced by the next such tragedy.

But that incident does not change the newsworthiness of the submersible that has gone missing.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Because water is denser than air, a sound wave will travel much faster and further underwater and appear louder.
Still don’t get it. With that logic wouldn’t they be hearing all sorts of sounds from all angles?

Also wouldn’t the sub be made of pretty thick steel? Struggling to see how much sound banging on those walls would make in the first place.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Still don’t get it. With that logic wouldn’t they be hearing all sorts of sounds from all angles?

Also wouldn’t the sub be made of pretty thick steel? Struggling to see how much sound banging on those walls would make in the first place.
Because the water is denser so noise underwater is many magnitudes "louder" than when you bang it in air.

This is why, in films, people in submarines stay silent, because other submarines hunting them, can hear the tiniest noise and use this to detect/locate them underwater

Likewise, marine mammals and fish have echolocation.

https://dosits.org/animals/use-of-s...ar systems on,use echolocation to locate food.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The reason this story is getting so much live coverage is that it's a race-against-time story. It's just like the boys in the cave incident, it's unfolding hour by hour and people get invested in the "will they, won't they" aspect of it. It's also a unique situation, and sadly migrants dying at sea is something that's happening on a depressingly-regular basis.

The boys in the cave rescue was front page news for ages, with coverage everywhere. This will be the same, until there's a resolution either way.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Yes to the angles, because the speed travels faster it is more difficult to work out the origin, as for the steel by the same logic as water being denser than air, speed travels through a solid even more quickly!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I can assure you if I saw posts in here mocking and laughing about migrants dieing in a boat disaster then I'd be saying exactly the same thing I have said about this. I didn't see that however but unfortunately I did see you and others making light of the likely deaths of these poor souls so I called it out. Your reaction to this says a lot about you to be honest and it's not a good look. Your moralising, attempts to make you out to be the good guy and deliberately ignoring my point just makes your response even more repugnant.

fergosaurus

His Twitter profile is quite something.
He seems to have some mental deficiencies (wearing a full baseball kit with socks pulled up to his knees in his 30s for one) so I hope he's not trolled too hard.

fergieisold

It’s to do with fact it’s a submarine and more close to a horror movie than the other. Nothing to do with this group of people vs the other.