Title Race 22/23

meamth

City’s biggest concern is Guardiola. Should he leave, it doesn’t matter which players are entering their prime or in decline, they won’t be as ruthlessly efficient in garnering 90+ points season after season, IMO. He’s the key to their continuing success, not the squad per se.
I'm not seeing any hint of him quitting, so I might be right with City in the next 2-3 years will be in the mix as well.

Unless....point deduction :devil:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Let's see, City's core players are KDB - declining, Rodri - prime, Haaland - prime, Ederson - prime, Kyle Walker - Declining, Ruben Dias - prime.

I think City has another 3 years minimum as they already signed replacements for those players.

But I agree, Arsenal and United looking great to be the next title contenders.
Sold Jesus, Zinchenko and Sterling. Cancelo bombed out on loan with option.

This summer Gundagon out of contract. Laporte not happy. Bernardo has wanted a move to Spain for a couple of years now. Mahrez 32 now. Stones still picking up injuries.

I don't see them free falling like Liverpool, but they are certainly in transition for me. We don't need them to fall off a cliff anyway, just a 5/10% drop seems them coming back in the pack, and I think we've already seen that this season.

When it's 97-100 point leagues, that makes things very very difficult unless you are a machine like they were. If it's more 85-90 point leagues, then that opens it up more.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sold Jesus, Zinchenko and Sterling. Cancelo bombed out on loan with option.

This summer Gundagon out of contract. Laporte not happy. Bernardo has wanted a move to Spain for a couple of years now. Mahrez 32 now. Stones still picking up injuries.

I don't see them free falling like Liverpool, but they are certainly in transition for me. We don't need them to fall off a cliff anyway, just a 5/10% drop seems them coming back in the pack, and I think we've already seen that this season.

When it's 97-100 point leagues, that makes things very very difficult unless you are a machine like they were. If it's more 85-90 point leagues, then that opens it up more.
This season is similar to how they did when Liverpool won the title. Arsenal is not as ruthless, the league was out of question by December back then I think. Still, City cleared 80 points.

Huge question marks over their midfield as you have mentioned. Gundogan, Bernando, KDB... Foden and Grealish could probably move into midfield but that leaves them light up front. Either way there's a window of transition the likes of Arsenal and United can exploit if they get their bearings right.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I can see the wheels falling off for one of city or arsenal, but not both. FA Cup and Europa should be our focus for me. As much as I want to smash the scousers, it’s not actually a priority if we accept the league is just a little bit out of reach for this season.
Ye come to think of it I agree. Think we’ll finish comfortably in top 4 anyway even if we don’t beat the scousers. Another trophy will do this team the world of good. Think we have a great chance at the Europa. We’ve already knocked out the favourites to win it.

lex talionis

I don't think so, based on their trajectory, young squad and playing style, there's no way they will slow down next season. What we're seeing now is the birth of a new title challenger.

I hate Arsenal, but credits where credits due.

Like ETH said, end of an era. Next season we're seeing City, United and Arsenal challenging again, with Newcastle getting closer and closer.
Every season writes a new story, but when you look at this Arsenal side you definitely have to give them credit for holding onto to the top spot for so long. But if end in the end they drop to City or especially United, it cannot not be a massive disappointment — if that’s even the right word to describe it — for the players and manager.

With the other top six clubs — apart from United who are performing ahead of expectations — all having disappointing seasons, this is the season Arsenal need to win the trophy. If they don’t, I’m afraid the window will have passed them by, for exactly the reasons you’ve articulated.

GMoore23

Arsenal's league fixtures from 9th April to 13th May:

Liverpool
West Ham
Southampton
Man City
Chelsea
Newcastle
Brighton

This run will make or break them so we have to make sure we're within 6 points by April 9th.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't think we have much chance of winning the league this season really. The bookies have us at less than 10% chance, and that feels right. Toss up between Arsenal and City, I think.

RuudTom83

Arsenal’s fixtures for March look very winnable, but April could be full of banana skins with them having to face Liverpool and then City/Chelsea in the same week.

I hope for the league it’s a 2.5 horse race for a least until mid April.

erikcred

Every season writes a new story, but when you look at this Arsenal side you definitely have to give them credit for holding onto to the top spot for so long. But if end in the end they drop to City or especially United, it cannot not be a massive disappointment — if that’s even the right word to describe it — for the players and manager.

With the other top six clubs — apart from United who are performing ahead of expectations — all having disappointing seasons, this is the season Arsenal need to win the trophy. If they don’t, I’m afraid the window will have passed them by, for exactly the reasons you’ve articulated.
If Arsenal end up below United, that's absolutely a massive disappointment. Forget about the title. I don't even think they'll finish above us again in the near future at the rate we are developing. It's basically a Leicester-like now or never situation.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It's a tall order. Arsenal can get out to a 14 point lead before our next match which is Anfield away. If we win that, we have a slim chance but drop points and our nascent title challenge may be over quickly. It will give Arsenal an extra confidence boost too

We have played 19 matches since the WC, compared to Arsenal's 12. That will catch up eventually.

Edit 19 matches not 20

Last edited:

marktan

If Arsenal end up below United, that's absolutely a massive disappointment. Forget about the title. I don't even think they'll finish above us again in the near future at the rate we are developing. It's basically a Leicester-like now or never situation.
Mignt turn out to be true but I think that's not giving Arsenal enough credit. They have a young team that's just as good as ours, and have shown they'll spend money to improve the squad. I can see them being up there in forthcoming seasons.

Josh 76

It's a tall order. Arsenal can get out to a 14 point lead before our next match which is Anfield away. If we win that, we have a slim chance but drop points and our nascent title challenge may be over quickly. It will give Arsenal an extra confidence boost too

We have played 20 matches since the WC, compared to Arsenal's 12. That will catch up eventually.
Utd have to win at Anfield to have any chance. If they do, there is no way Arsenal are picking up 6 points from City and Liverpool away.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are gonna destroy Everton tonight.
I get your probably putting something similar everytime we play as a hopeful jinx but unless we get our final ball going again I can't see anyone getting destroyed. Not many teams better set up to play a super low bloke as well as Everton and we been struggling against such teams recently. Hopefully the red makes them think they're playing Liverpool in which case it would be easy .

Mignt turn out to be true but I think that's not giving Arsenal enough credit. They have a young team that's just as good as ours, and have shown they'll spend money to improve the squad. I can see them being up there in forthcoming seasons.
Careful, don't think you are meant to give Arsenal or Arteta any credit on here. We are only doing well because of fixtures and no injuries (if you ignore injuries)

RuudTom83

March is not the month to catch Arsenal...the fixtures are very favourable!

April will be the month City overtake them IF they can take all 3 points in the head-to-head.

romufc

March is not the month to catch Arsenal...the fixtures are very favourable!

April will be the month City overtake them IF they can take all 3 points in the head-to-head.
The problem is come April, they could be 8-12 clear so even if they drop points in 2/3 games in April, it wont really matter.

For the sake of the title race, Arsenal hopefully need to drop points in the next 2 games.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I get your probably putting something similar everytime we play as a hopeful jinx but unless we get our final ball going again I can't see anyone getting destroyed. Not many teams better set up to play a super low bloke as well as Everton and we been struggling against such teams recently. Hopefully the red makes them think they're playing Liverpool in which case it would be easy .
Behave. You smashed them.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Our January signings seem very shrewd so far, though we haven't seen Kiwior yet. Both Trossard and Jorginho have really given us more options and Arteta can really rotate now. They've both slotted in seamlessly and giving Martinelli a bit of a rest seems to have kicked him back into gear, that's 4 goals in last 3 games now from him. Jesus is not too far away either. Dare I say it, we've actually strengthened in January. :eek:

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Another fantastic performance especially in the second half. Great atmosphere, just currently walking home buzzing. It’s a great feeling to watch your team play great football. No matter where we end up. We’ve got some brilliant players in that side. Probably the best place to watch football this season the emirates.

Reactions: Invictus

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Why are there so many Arsenal fans giving post match views on here, find it bizarre.

*Not saying you can't do it, just weird.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
It's a shame we won't be getting any posts this week about how @The Corinthian and his friend Nostradamus were right all along about the impact of not taking the FA cup seriously

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Why are there so many Arsenal fans giving post match views on here, find it bizarre.

*Not saying you can't do it, just weird.
There was rakes of Leicester fans on here up until last year.

For some reason they all seem to have disappeared now though :lol: :D

Hoof the ball

April/May is coming for Arsenal hard.

Liverpool away, City away, Fulham away this month, Chelsea, Newcastle away, Brighton. These are treacherous games to protect the lead.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal

Liverpool away, City away, Fulham away this month, Chelsea, Newcastle away, Brighton. These are treacherous games to protect the lead.
City don’t have a game in hand

Josh 76

Another fantastic performance especially in the second half. Great atmosphere, just currently walking home buzzing. It’s a great feeling to watch your team play great football. No matter where we end up. We’ve got some brilliant players in that side. Probably the best place to watch football this season the emirates.
Finishing second will be a disaster now. I don’t care what you lot say!

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Behave. You smashed them.
Behave, we both know what you were trying.

First half was actually pretty awful and just what I expected, they sat deep and we just passed around whilst creating nothing, thankfully Saka scored with our first shoot on target and then they gifted us the second. XG was o.6 something for both sides at ht. Everton's was actually slightly better.

Second half is exactly what would've happened to Leicester is they tried to play open attacking football like posters on here wanted them to do. Everton had to try and play and got ripped apart.

City got Newcastle on Saturday morning which a couple months ago would've been tough but Newcastle been awful for ages and didn't even turn up for a cup final so I'm expecting no favours.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

Have to hope that Liverpool are still playing for something at that point. They can easily get turned over by this Arsenal side in its current form, especially if their heads are down. And if Arsenal get 3pts at Anfield just before City away, they'll be on such a high. Fingers crossed the pressure gets to them eventually but a lot has fallen in place for them to get it done this year. Which, fair fecks, they've capitalized on so far.

lex talionis

Despite the game in hand, it's still a good bet the City will finish ahead of Arsenal on the final day of the season.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Finishing second will be a disaster now. I don’t care what you lot say!
Disaster is a bit much, but a huge disappointment for sure. That’s been the case for a long time. We should still be proud of how the team developed this season, but to lead the table all season and then not win it, I’d be gutted, don’t care how good city are. It’s 13 games left now and well within our grasp, even if our run in is very tricky, it’s a league title, they don’t come easy.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, edited it for accuracy. Point still stands. Arsenal have much tougher run in.
Agreed , but also have a 5 points lead. So it’s finely balanced. City have the title winning experience, but they also have CL to contend with while we won’t be taking the EL as seriously in terms of team selection.
United are the form team but too far behind , there’s just not enough games for you to close the gap because we haven’t collapsed in the way you need us to and you’ll just run out of league games, I imagine towards the end with CL secured you might turn your attention to the cups and rotate in the league.

Partridge

Arsenal’s fixtures for March look very winnable, but April could be full of banana skins with them having to face Liverpool and then City/Chelsea in the same week.

I hope for the league it’s a 2.5 horse race for a least until mid April.
If we are the .5 , which half of the horse are we? The legs or the remainder?