Title Race 22/23

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Form city are in they’ll probably win the treble this season.
it’ll help us if they go deep in CL, at some stage it might distract, a cup final against United too, every little helps.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
it’ll help us if they go deep in CL, at some stage it might distract, a cup final against United too, every little helps.
Their fixture list is really piling up. It's a real shame they've got a walk over FA Cup semi as that'll help a lot and be a heavy rotation job.

But we have the huge hope Europe finds them out again.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
False dawn.

You just know City will find a way to mess it up.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Treble my ass. WE will take the FA Cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m looking at the coming weeks and City play four games between 12th and 22nd including two against Bayern and one FA cup semi final before their game against your lot. And then Fulham away two days after that. Which is 6 games in 18 days.

How many do Arsenal play in that period? As the Bayern games if they’re close could be physically very very demanding. This is the period Arsenal should look to gain control of the title race. I understand City have a joke of a squad and the freedom to cheat their way to having it but still.

ti vu

I’m looking at the coming weeks and City play four games between 12th and 22nd including two against Bayern and one FA cup semi final before their game against your lot. And then Fulham away two days after that. Which is 6 games in 18 days.

How many do Arsenal play in that period? As the Bayern games if they’re close could be physically very very demanding. This is the period Arsenal should look to gain control of the title race. I understand City have a joke of a squad and the freedom to cheat their way to having it but still.
They played Shefield U. They can afford to rotate, and still favorite to win. This is the key where as there is no spacing advantage of the schedule from Southampton to their game against Chelsea.

That's why I was hoping Man City would have got us or Brighton in semi. Increase the chance to mess their ambition up having play 3 consecutive potential winner deciding high profile games in a row. But they have abit of luck of the draw with Shefield U game.

iKnowNothing

it still sounds
City fixtures:

Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (A)
West Ham (H)
Leeds (H)
Everton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Brentford (A)

Arsenal fixtures:

West Ham (A)
Southampton (H)
City (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)
Brighton (H)
Forest (A)
Wolves (H)

City have the more straightforward fixture list but they need to be perfect, more or less.

That run of City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton for Arsenal will make or break them.

Given City’s fixture congestion, I just don’t see them not dropping points in the league. Other than City, Newcastle might be the only clear game where Arsenal drop points. Unless they completely bottle it, they’re still in a very very good position to win the league.

ti vu

it still sounds

Given City’s fixture congestion, I just don’t see them not dropping points in the league. Other than City, Newcastle might be the only clear game where Arsenal drop points. Unless they completely bottle it, they’re still in a very very good position to win the league.
If both of them winning the next two games and Arsenal continue their terrible record away to Pep City (gain no point), then it likely would put more pressure on Arsenal when they're level on points.

It would be a test of mentality strength. Having more rest between games only help you as much when you're the chaser. Arsenal had been excusing themselves dropping out of other competitions to focus on PL, and see where they're now! At one point they could have double digit point gap, and now the game in hand may as well be where City get level on point with them.

Arsenal deserved to be seen as a proper title contender this season. However, the way they losing the point gap and most recently how they bottled the two goal lead and let their bad Anfield record remain just doesn't reflect well about their mental fortitude.

Getting past semi final then the schedule is not that congested for City. It's a Saturday/Sunday and Tuesday/Wednesday which top club is well accustomed over the year. Man City has the squad for it.

The most congested period of the season is usually at the latter stage of League Cup where early round of FA Cup kick in especially for teams in EL and ECL that have an extra play off round. Playing Thursday, Sunday and the odd Monday game is what made it difficult.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Draw against Liverpool at Anfield , who just smashed United 7 nil...is a fine result. Too much dramatization about this.
Even if it’s a point at anfield and not a bad result in the scheme of things, they were seconds away from taking all 3 points and got pegged back. I was mostly referring to the title being back in city’s hands though - win the rest of their games and the title is theirs which must give you a massive boost.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
it still sounds

And they’ve got the points in the bag for one additional game and could get a draw at City. People are just assuming Cuty will win those two. Only once they do that is it small advantage City

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
If both of them winning the next two games and Arsenal continue their terrible record away to Pep City (gain no point), then it likely would put more pressure on Arsenal when they're level on points.

It would be a test of mentality strength. Having more rest between games only help you as much when you're the chaser. Arsenal had been excusing themselves dropping out of other competitions to focus on PL, and see where they're now! At one point they could have double digit point gap, and now the game in hand may as well be where City get level on point with them.

Arsenal deserved to be seen as a proper title contender this season. However, the way they losing the point gap and most recently how they bottled the two goal lead and let their bad Anfield record remain just doesn't reflect well about their mental fortitude.

Getting past semi final then the schedule is not that congested for City. It's a Saturday/Sunday and Tuesday/Wednesday which top club is well accustomed over the year. Man City has the squad for it.

The most congested period of the season is usually at the latter stage of League Cup where early round of FA Cup kick in especially for teams in EL and ECL that have an extra play off round. Playing Thursday, Sunday and the odd Monday game is what made it difficult.
we’ve won 7 and drawn 1 of our last 8 league games. It’s only because city never drop points that the title isn’t done and dusted. Normally that type of run wins the title. It’s different when city are chasing.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Even if it’s a point at anfield and not a bad result in the scheme of things, they were seconds away from taking all 3 points and got pegged back. I was mostly referring to the title being back in city’s hands though - win the rest of their games and the title is theirs which must give you a massive boost.
Agreed, huge boost for city, I feel if we don’t get something at city they win the league.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’m coming round to the feeling that I’d be surprised if City don’t win it. It was only last season Arsenal lost 5 of their last 7 from a position they wanted to be in for months to missing out (in that case top 4). I don’t trust them at all in a close race like this.

They needed a wider gap and the hope that City keep dropping points. Unfortunately now they’ve dropped points and the gap has closed, with City in that unstoppable run-in mode where they look like they may not drop a single point.

Rojofiam

City are a level above Arsenal.

In Emirates against City, Arsenal were blown away just like today.

They are still a young team.

In Etihad Arsenal won't get so many lifelines like today, they will be blown away if they play an open game. City will press them to oblivion like they did in Emirates.

Arteta has to force a draw in that game through tactics.

But now it's in City's hands.

Etihad game is a 6 pointer. Must win for City.
If City are a level above them, then why are they trailing them by a few points after 30 matches played?

I do think Arsenal are overperforming, but both teams are among the 5 best teams in the world currently. City being a level above Arsenal is just nonsense. They are close to each other in terms of quality.

Witchking

Arsenal will win the title unfortunately. City are not the team they were a couple of seasons ago.

The game at city will be a draw. Do not think city has it it them to get the job done.

They are equally capable of dropping silly points elsewhere.

marktan

it still sounds

City have a big squad though, it's why they do so well in the league. Players like £50m Kalvin Phillips barely gets a kick about.

It all depends on the Arsenal game, which sadly for Arsenal I can see City winning as they usually do well in the head to head big games. After that it's a formality, City will win the remaining 7 or so games with ease knowing that it'll bring them the title.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Arsenal will win the title unfortunately. City are not the team they were a couple of seasons ago.

The game at city will be a draw. Do not think city has it it them to get the job done.

In a way, adding that monstrous Haaland actually made them seem more vulnerable in a long campaign. Madness.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
City have a big squad though, it's why they do so well in the league. Players like £50m Kalvin Phillips barely gets a kick about.

It all depends on the Arsenal game, which sadly for Arsenal I can see City winning as they usually do well in the head to head big games. After that it's a formality, City will win the remaining 7 or so games with ease knowing that it'll bring them the title.
They had a huge difference in depth maybe in the first 2-3 years with Pep, now a days there depth isn't much different to most other top teams.

For instance City bench last game had

Walker, Silva, Phillips, Laporte, Alvarez with Foden out

United Bench had

Eriksen, Varane, Martial, Fred, Lindelof with Casemiro, Van Deek and Shaw out

Chelsea bench

Auba, Chilwell, Pulisic, Mudryk with Silva, Kante, Mount, Ziyech out

Liverpool

Firmino, Thiago, Nunez with Diaz, Chamberlain and Keita out

Aresnal bench

Tierney, Jorginho, Trossard, Fabio and Saliba out

Arsenal and Liverpool have the shortest end of the stick here. Chelsea, City and United are all stacked when it comes to depth, City are just using there options better.

marktan

They had a huge difference in depth maybe in the first 2-3 years with Pep, now a days there depth isn't much different to most other top teams.

For instance City bench last game had

Walker, Silva, Phillips, Laporte, Alvarez with Foden out

United Bench had

Eriksen, Varane, Martial, Fred, Lindelof with Casemiro, Van Deek and Shaw out

Chelsea bench

Auba, Chilwell, Pulisic, Mudryk with Silva, Kante, Mount, Ziyech out

Liverpool

Firmino, Thiago, Nunez with Diaz, Chamberlain and Keita out

Aresnal bench

Tierney, Jorginho, Trossard, Fabio and Saliba out

Arsenal and Liverpool have the shortest end of the stick here. Chelsea, City and United are all stacked when it comes to depth, City are just using there options better.
It's the attacking depth that's been there biggest edge over the last 4 or so years, which you can see on the benches you've provided.

Liverpool last year were quite a bit behind in the league, but then they signed Diaz in Jan to rotate Mane/Jota/Salah who were playing 3 games a week and they went on a great run.

City have Silva, Alvarez, Foden to rotate with Grealish, Haland and Mahrez. Nobody comes close to that. Last season they had Jesus and Sterling, Sane the year before.

United had what, a half injured Martial? We've overplayed Rashford and Bruno badly because of a lack of options. Arsenal ditto before Trossard hard nobody.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It's the attacking depth that's been there biggest edge over the last 4 or so years, which you can see on the benches you've provided.

Liverpool last year were quite a bit behind in the league, but then they signed Diaz in Jan to rotate Mane/Jota/Salah who were playing 3 games a week and they went on a great run.

City have Silva, Alvarez, Foden to rotate with Grealish, Haland and Mahrez. Nobody comes close to that. Last season they had Jesus and Sterling, Sane the year before.

United had what, a half injured Martial? We've overplayed Rashford and Bruno badly because of a lack of options. Arsenal ditto before Trossard hard nobody.
Agree, it's the attacking depth where City are a cut above and I think is why they are probably favourites now. They're looking imperious and other teams are rolling over for them.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

Isn't that more or a credability to Pep in coverting his midfielders into attackers? Grealish and Silva are midfielder who play in front 3 when needed too, it's like United using Bruno or Erikson in that role from time to time or Aresnal using Fabio as an attacking options. Pep is probably the best attacking managers out their I feel many player will benefit from his set up, but that doesn't translate elsewhere, anyone else having this option doesn't mean their attack would be functional just look at England Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Saka, Foden, Grealish, Toney.

marktan

Isn't that more or a credability to Pep in coverting his midfielders into attackers? Grealish and Silva are midfielder who play in front 3 when needed too, it's like United using Bruno or Erikson in that role from time to time or Aresnal using Fabio as an attacking options. Pep is probably the best attacking managers out their I feel many player will benefit from his set up, but that doesn't translate elsewhere, anyone else having this option doesn't mean their attack would be functional just look at England Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Saka, Foden, Grealish, Toney.
Grealish was a LW at Villa. Bernardo can do both but he's played as a RW for Portugal.

Of course no one is denying that Pep is a top attacking manager too. Just for instance of Pool had the same resources as City to build the same depth City had then I feel Pool would have more than just the solitary PL to show for the era just gone by. They played Mane Salah and Firmino pretty much every game in the league and CL, whereas Pep rarely ever plays the same attackers midweek and on the weekend.

England - don't get me started on Southgate haha.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Southgate really isn't fit in the same sentence as Pep.

justsomebloke

City are a level above Arsenal.

In Emirates against City, Arsenal were blown away just like today.

They are still a young team.

In Etihad Arsenal won't get so many lifelines like today, they will be blown away if they play an open game. City will press them to oblivion like they did in Emirates.

Arteta has to force a draw in that game through tactics.

But now it's in City's hands.

Etihad game is a 6 pointer. Must win for City.
If City wins at Etihad and both teams win their remaining games (or otherwise take an equal number of points), it'll come down to goal differential. Those were two really crucial points dropped by Arsenal on Sunday. Also, they have Newcastle away left to play, with no comparably difficult fixture for City.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If City wins at Etihad and both teams win their remaining games (or otherwise take an equal number of points), it'll come down to goal differential. Those were two really crucial points dropped by Arsenal on Sunday. Also, they have Newcastle away left to play, with no comparably difficult fixture for City.
I suppose its how you class Brighton or Brentford away.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
City fixtures:

Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (A)
West Ham (H)
Leeds (H)
Everton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Brentford (A)

Arsenal fixtures:

West Ham (A)
Southampton (H)
City (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)
Brighton (H)
Forest (A)
Wolves (H)

City have the more straightforward fixture list but they need to be perfect, more or less.

That run of City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton for Arsenal will make or break them.
You should perhaps add the cup fixtures into City's fixtures, because they could become a factor.

Bayern (H)
Leicester (H)
Bayern (A)
Sheffield Utd - FA Cup Semi (N)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (A)
West Ham (H)
Leeds (H)
Champions League Semi Final 1
Everton (A)
Champions League Semi Final 2
Chelsea (H)
Brentford (A)
FA Cup Final
Champions League Final

Brighton Away game still to be arranged as well.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
City are annoyingly close to doing the treble. If they reach the cl final it's theirs to win. Anyone wanting them to win the title over Arsenal needs their head checked.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Business end of the season now . I could see City losing a CL game or possibly an FA Cup final but not the league. Arsenal will struggle at City and Newcastle.

Witchking

Business end of the season now . I could see City losing a CL game or possibly an FA Cup final but not the league. Arsenal will struggle at City and Newcastle.
Let's hope you are right. Need Arsenal to finish trophyless. Also do not want City to win anything other than the league. They are in line for a treble at this point. Need them to be out of the cups.