Title Race 22/23

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly, if you take away the name value of Arsenal (for whatever it means now anyway), this is basically a Leicester City level of shocks this season. Leicester City didn't have anywhere close to this level of quality opposition to contend with as Arsenal do now, but both have upset all the odds and just keep it going, deservedly, game after game. Fair play to them, it's only half way into the season but I don't think they drop this. They can ignore every single cup and just focus on the league which others can't do.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Arsenal is surprisingly consistent, didn’t think they had it in them .

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Arsenal is surprisingly consistent, didn’t think they had it in them .
Pressure isn’t really on yet. Not enough people are recognising this. Half a season is an incredibly long way to go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Honestly, if you take away the name value of Arsenal (for whatever it means now anyway), this is basically a Leicester City level of shocks this season. Leicester City didn't have anywhere close to this level of quality opposition to contend with as Arsenal do now, but both have upset all the odds and just keep it going, deservedly, game after game. Fair play to them, it's only half way into the season but I don't think they drop this. They can ignore every single cup and just focus on the league which others can't do.
Was just thinking the same

Rojofiam

Funny how this is almost the general consensus on this forum.

They are one of the best teams in Europe and on par with recent City and Liverpool teams. The sooner you all realize it the less embarrassing it's gonna be in the long run.

charlenefan

They are one of the best teams in Europe and on par with recent City and Liverpool teams. The sooner you all realize it the less embarrassing it's gonna be in the long run.
Ridiculous take

They’re nowhere near that level yet

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I mean, they aren't near that level until they show it in Europe, but fair enough they are playing brilliantly in the league. And the thing that I am saying is how well they are performing from the point they were at, and how big of a jump they made, against the quality of opposition they have in the league. It's a fantastic achievement. Let's chill before saying they are as good as the best Prem teams of the past decade.

RomfordRed75

I still think City will take 6 points off Arsenal.
Such a long way to go though. Pretty much still half a league season to play in just under 4 months plus all the cup games, teams will drop points all over the place in the second half of the season.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Pressure isn’t really on yet. Not enough people are recognising this. Half a season is an incredibly long way to go.
It just becomes harder and harder to see how they could feck this up, they're building a decent cushions to fall back on and don't seem really daunted by it all, very out of the blue seeing this mentality from arsenal.

BluesJr

It just becomes harder and harder to see how they could feck this up, they're building a decent cushions to fall back on and don't seem really daunted by it all, very out of the blue seeing this mentalities from arsenal out of all the teams.
If they lose 2 games then lead is done. There are 20 games left. It’s not hard to see them fecking it up at all because it’s still way too early to be talking about races and titles.

Wilt

Leicester won it with only 81 points ….it was a perfect storm with all the top clubs massively underperforming.

charlenefan

Leicester won it with only 81 points ….it was a perfect storm with all the other top clubs massively underperforming.
Sounds like what's happening this season

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
On paper, United are a nightmare match up for Arsenal. Strong defensively, with pace and nous on the counter. Its a massive game next week. Win it and we are in the title race. Lose or draw and we'll be looking at consolidation top four and going after a cup.

BluesJr

When was the last time we beat them in the league there?

BorisManUtd

It's definitely Arsenal's to lose now. City haven't looked great this season, their loss against us is another blow, while we have improved obviously but I don't think we have enough in ourselves to actually challenge properly for title this season, took a lucky break to turn the game around yesterday.

When was the last time we beat them in the league there?
December 2017, 3-1 with De Gea having probably a game of his life. Since then we've struggled at Emirates even against weaker Arsenal sides.

Chairman Steve

Technically we’re at the half way point of the season this weekend. Most teams have been playing their 19th league games this weekend, so there’s still a considerable way to go for everyone. I don’t think any team can dream of Title, Top 4, Europe or doom themselves on missing out on those things or thinking about relegation at this point.

Arsenal are 8 points clear but they have to face City twice in the league, they have to go to Anfield and St.James too. Liverpool are very average this season but I guarantee they get right up for it against the big boys at Anfield. Newcastle are shithouse incarnate this season and as you saw the other week, they made Arsenal lose their shit at the Emirates by frustrating them.

It all depends later down the line who the relegation threatened teams are going to be too. I couldn’t think of many worse fixtures than having to face a team like West Ham or Everton in April and they’re towards the bottom 3, when they likely have changed managers and got their shit together.

Last edited:

Leonzo1

On paper, United are a nightmare match up for Arsenal. Strong defensively, with pace and nous on the counter. Its a massive game next week. Win it and we are in the title race. Lose or draw and we'll be looking at consolidation top four and going after a cup.
A draw definitely keeps us in the title race. if We beat Palace and draw at the emirates Arsenal will be 6 points ahead of us and will still need to play City twice. Even if we lose it's far from over but It will, of course, be much more difficult.

Shark

@NotShark
We have actual leaders on the pitch too. Varane and Casemiro in particular. Only City boast that kind of leadership and experience. Honestly hope Arse go into Sunday a bit cocky after today because we'll be ready for them if we get past Palace.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A draw definitely keeps us in the title race. if We beat Palace and draw at the emirates Arsenal will be 6 points ahead of us and will still need to play City twice. Even if we lose it's far from over but It will, of course, be much more difficult.
Ah. But what if we win eh. Then United could be genuine contenders.
But really. It is a bit early to be even thinking that.
We are still a bit away from being a team that can win the PL. But then.... this is a strange season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Don't forget we would have played a game more still if any of that occurs. We have to win to stand any kind of chance I think. Need to beat Palace first anyway, that won't be easy.

Jacko21

It’s the middle of January.

Just keep the team at the top of the table honest and see what happens.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete

It can't be a Leicester level of shocks when Arsenal have won the league already. They've not won it in a long time but they're a huge club that has won the league (also unbeaten) already. Leceister winning the league and Arsenal winning it aren't the same in terms of shock value, only if you're probably 15 to 20 years old.

charlenefan

It can't be a Leicester level of shocks when Arsenal have won the league already. They've not won it in a long time but they're a huge club that has won the league (also unbeaten) already. Leceister winning the league and Arsenal winning it aren't the same in terms of shock value, only if you're probably 15 to 20 years old.
You didn't read what he posted did you

Roboc7

I think Arsenal will win the League fairly comfortably, keep hearing they have to face City twice but City are nothing like as good as previous seasons and I think Arsenal will win one of those games.

I think the game against Palace is but disadvantage going into next weekends game, be tough to get a result.

Rojofiam

I mean, they aren't near that level until they show it in Europe, but fair enough they are playing brilliantly in the league. And the thing that I am saying is how well they are performing from the point they were at, and how big of a jump they made, against the quality of opposition they have in the league. It's a fantastic achievement. Let's chill before saying they are as good as the best Prem teams of the past decade.
Show what in Europe? Other than Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, there isn't anyone they need to prove something against.

Rojofiam

And you'll likely be no where to be found when they don't
Mark my words. United and Arsenal are the next superteams of the Premier League, amassing 90+ point campaigns season after season whilst both being genuine contenders for the CL year after year. Both ten Hag and Arteta will get the praise they deserve.

CM

Annoying Spurs have put up such little resistance in both matches against Arsenal, but they are looking a good team right now. 4 points from the next two would still be respectable, we just can't lose at the Emirates.

HypeMerchant

Leicester had barely escaped relegation the season before they became champions. Arsenal had become a meme in the last few years but they are still a big 6 club most seasons.

Whilst I get where you’re coming in that this is an impressive season from Arsenal but clubs that finish 4-th-8th are just 1 great manager away from potentially winning the league. Leicester’s win was once in a lifetime.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Far too early for title race talk with regards to anyone, it’s certainly not arsenals to lose already. They’re on a good run and have shocked me to be honest with how well they’ve done but there’s half a season left.

Man City are still the favourites for me, they can lose and bounce back, lets See what happens if arsenal lose a couple and the momentum from them goes or even if it’s close at the end how will arsenal cope with that.

im just hoping we keep getting results and consistently being in the top four position and then see what happens from there.