Title Race 22/23

SinNombre

Kin ell, this post could age really well.

Why would you lose games? Because it’s fecking football man, it’s not a game played on paper.
Beating United was a massive result for you but if, as I predicted, you lose both games to City (already lost the Cup game), your lead is gone and City will lead by 1 point, and this despite that brilliant result vs. United. If nerves kick in after a first City loss,

Don’t count your chickens, Arsenal still have a lot to do and like feck it’s as simple as “Only an injury crisis will derail us, keep the first 11 fit and its our title.” :houllier:

I hope Arsenal beat City to it, but posts like this do make you think “feck me, some fans do get what they deserve”.
Is this the first time you have seen an Arsenal fan?

The majority of their fan base was like this during the Wenger years, despite collapsing constantly in Feb.

In their minds, they would be the favorites for a treble at the start of Feb and then be out of all competitions by the end of it.

Gazautd18

Why would we lose both games against Man utd and Everton. Once again the city game is in the cup.
All these mental Arithmetics, way too many ifs, and all assuming that united and city win the rest of their games.
Not only are we top by 8 points, but its not like we are squeezing through games, we have looked like the best team all season, and the other teams look far more likely than us to drop points against the smaller sides. Only an injury crisis will derail us, keep the first 11 fit and its our title.
Cant believe some arsenal fans are talking about top 4 still, do you even watch our games, chalk and cheese from last season. Its pretty much an entirely different animal the team now. Look at away at Spurs as an example.
Keep talking mate :lol:

Is this the first time you have seen an Arsenal fan?

The majority of their fan base was like this during the Wenger years, despite collapsing constantly in Feb.

In their minds, they would be the favorites for a treble at the start of Feb and then be out of all competitions by the end of it.
Aye, I know how they are, but it still amazes me when they failed so many times previously. It’s amazes me even more when everyone saw the run Liverpool recently went on, winning an absolutely outrageous amount of games in the run in only to still lose the title to Peps annoying as feck machine.. twice!!

The two City games aside, Arsenal still have some extremely tough fixtures against Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and the odd Everton-esque banana skin thrown in to boot.

JustinC00

if citeh wins their next 2 matches and arsenal draws with brentford they'd both be level on points going into their match, would have to put my money on citeh from there to win the title.

RuudTom83

New manager bounce killed Arsenal today, plus the defeat in the cup...nervous times ahead for the Gunners!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
if citeh wins their next 2 matches and arsenal draws with brentford they'd both be level on points going into their match, would have to put my money on citeh from there to win the title.
I think Man. City will drop a decent amount of points themselves in the run in personally, from what I'm seeing most weeks they're not that good compared to previous years and are winning many games based just on reputation. And of course four weeks ago they couldn't beat Everton either.

Considering the trouble they had in their home games I can see Man. City dropping points away to a Brentford or Fulham if it's between two CL legs.

Not even certain they'll win tomorrow if Spurs take the lead.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Guess you missed their last match vs Spurs
That was at home though when in a flick of a switch they can shoot 2-3 goals past a team in quick succession.

Man. City are certainly not like that away from home this year. Against Man. City, Leicester Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool they only scored 4 goals so more of a grind it out on the road this season. And in the cup at Southampton they didn't even have a shot on target with a pretty strong 11.

If Spurs low block to death I think they'll get a draw tomorrow.

croadyman

Important win with rivals dropping points,so frustrating we aren't within 5 though isn't it

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What we hoping for tomorrow? I’d much rather a spurs win as I know they’re most likely to drop points again, where as city can go on long runs the more confidence they get.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
What we hoping for tomorrow? I’d much rather a spurs win as I know they’re most likely to drop points again, where as city can go on long runs the more confidence they get.
Yeah, Spurs win preferably but a draw would be good too. We don’t need to concern ourselves with being caught at the moment, we have bigger fish to fry!

Plant0x84

Maybe not mathematically. But the squad is too weak. First team ok.

Can't see Arsenal winning. City's title to lose.
I think ETH has plugged gaps with the loans we have bought in, it’s not too bad. Dalot and Sancho are back too, and Martial might make it onto a game soon too.

I agree Arsenal won’t see this out, if we stay close to City we give ourselves a great chance later in the season.

cyberman

I think ETH has plugged gaps with the loans we have bought in, it’s not too bad. Dalot and Sancho are back too, and Martial might make it onto a game soon too.

I agree Arsenal won’t see this out, if we stay close to City we give ourselves a great chance later in the season.
We’re doing well now I honestly believe we’ll be a lot better when Sancho comes back. Every time Rashford has played through the middle this season he’s been outstanding. We are a miles better side with him as a 9 but we need Jadon to step up to make the Rashford move inside worthwhile. If he does I honestly believe we have more of a chance than it looks

Wilt

Think 80+ points ….not enough to win but looking good for top 3

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Need to beat Leeds on Weds and get gap down to 5,yes I know they will have two games in hand but at least keeps them honest.
You could say their two games in hand are basically both against City.

Those silly dropped points vs Palace and then conceding the winner so late against Arsenal were the killer blows. We’re 5 points worse off than Arsenal just because of those two late goals.

Anyway the 3 points we lost last match were won back today. We just have to keep our heads down and slowly chirp away the gap. See where it leads us.

Plant0x84

Those silly dropped points vs Palace and then conceding the winner so late against Arsenal were the killer blows. We’re 5 points worse off than Arsenal just because of those two late goals.

Anyway the 3 points we lost last match were won back today. We just have to keep our heads down and slowly chirp away the gap. See where it leads us.
This is exactly it. I’m hoping we creep up on the top 2 unnoticed!

Vapor trail

City will definitely lose games. Performance levels signify this and losing Cancelo can't aid their team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How did Arsenal still have a game in hand? bollocks.
They play every 5-7 days as well. Sneaky bastard topping the league when they aren't in CL.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Arsenal may well have bottled the title in the transfer window by paying Cheslea 12m for their past-it reject, instead of getting Caisedo.

I still want Arse to win the whole thing ahead of City but hopefully it's on one of the last days of the season, so they can sweat.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal may well have bottled the title in the transfer window by paying Cheslea 12m for their past-it reject, instead of getting Caisedo.

I still want Arse to win the whole thing ahead of City but hopefully it's on one of the last days of the season, so they can sweat.
We tried with Caceido but Brighton wouldn't budge, despite the player himself seemingly pushing for the move. If we paid 80-90mil+ everyone would be saying we overpaid (which I think we would have). Think the criticism on Jorginho after the Everton match is a bit uncalled for. He's coming in as backup to Partey, not to start and deals are hard to do in Jan. The whole team, not just one or two players, looked off the pace against Everton. Jorginho didn't do any better or worse than Partey, who I think wasn't 100% fit after City game.

We were never going to run away with it, if we even win it. Still 5 points ahead with the same games played. We also have 10 of our remaining games at home and 8 away - City have the reverse (10 away, 8 at home). Might make a big difference.

croadyman

Yeah Palace one hurt much more because 6 point gap rather than 8 is just enough to be within punchers distance. Ah well just gotta take things game by game. You just know by March 4 that scousers will have got some injured players back.

Dr Foo

I think we only have an outside chance if we weren't also still 4 comps.. not sure if we will need to prioritise some competitions at a certain stage

croadyman

I think we only have an outside chance if we weren't also still 4 comps.. not sure if we will need to prioritise some competitions at a certain stage
Think we will find it tough to KO Barca

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Dycheball!

There's still a part of me that thinks City won't get their act together, despite today's result. The game at Arsenal will be huge but Arsenal still have to go to Anfield and St James Park and get something. City's hardest away fixtures left will probably be Brighton and Everton.
Jinx:D

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I still haven't come to accept that small clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Fulham and Spurs are where they are.
:lol: :lol:

The table does make for some interesting reading that's for sure.

I still think we'll fall short of challenging this season but if we can end this campaign and be within 10 points of the winner I'd say next season we're in with a chance.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's quite clear by now that the boss prioritises whatever game is next and to be honest i love that about him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Getting knocked out to Barca could help us. Will give us more free weeks to train and rest. Obviously we’re gonna try and beat them because we want to win every competition but I wouldn’t be upset if we got knocked out of the Europa. We’re looking nailed on for top 4 anyway plus we have a final to look forward to. It would be a different scenario if we was 5th chasing 4th. We’d of had to decide wether we prioritised the Europa to get back into the CL.

sideshowbob

Looking back I can’t believe how unlucky we were to have Brighton and Brentford as our first two games.

Everyone can see now that outside the usual big 6 these are probably the 2 toughest teams to play this season.

If the fixtures went another way, I reckon we’d have more chance at the title but those 2 games may prove costly. Can’t afford to give rivals a head start.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Keep talking mate :lol:
This is absolutely hilarious, like me going back to every post made by a United fan saying you’ll be level on points with us after you win 3 times and we lose twice and laughing in their face.

United fans calling Arsenal fans deluded for claiming to be title favourites in a thread called “the title race” where most posts are saying United are still in it based on predictions of ifs and what’s.
with no hint of irony!
8 points behind us having played a game more. If we thought we were in a title race in a position like this we’d get laughed out of town. Seriously this is brilliant lack of awareness.

Last edited:

Gazautd18

This is absolutely hilarious, like me going back to every post made by a United fan saying you’ll be level on points with us after you win 3 times and we lose twice and laughing in their face.

United fans calling Arsenal fans deluded for claiming to be title favourites in a thread called “the title race” where most posts are saying United are still in it based on predictions of ifs and what’s.
with no hint of irony!
8 points behind us having played a game more. If we thought we were in a title race in a position like this we’d get laughed out of town. Seriously this is brilliant lack of awareness.
Yeah.
Find my post that says that an you can laugh in my face then. :lol: :lol::lol:
For context I'd prefer you to win it than City.
You were saying "way to many ifs" but sure you're going to win the league.
Bless

ForeverRed1

Who we routing for today City or Tottenham? I think I’m with Tottenham as I want us to keep as close to the top 2 as physically possible.

CM

Looking back I can’t believe how unlucky we were to have Brighton and Brentford as our first two games.

Everyone can see now that outside the usual big 6 these are probably the 2 toughest teams to play this season.

If the fixtures went another way, I reckon we’d have more chance at the title but those 2 games may prove costly. Can’t afford to give rivals a head start.
Even if we didn't lose those games, we're still too thin in key areas to go and win the league. We're hugely light in midfield and we're relying on Wout Weghorst in most games because Martial can't stay fit.

We probably wouldn't have been so aggressive in the transfer market at the end of the summer window if the poor start to the season didn't happen, either.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Who we routing for today City or Tottenham? I think I’m with Tottenham as I want us to keep as close to the top 2 as physically possible.
I’m looking forward to enjoying a good old fashioned 0-0 snoozefest.