Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

Oranges038

I don't get why signing a player from Leipzig is great scouting (Szoboszlai) but signing a player from Leipzig is terrible scouting (Werner)
Probably because we already know what Werner is like, given that has already been tried and failed in the PL.

YikesSchmeics

Probably because we already know what Werner is like, given that has already been tried and failed in the PL.

I'm not saying I want Werner, or that he would be a success at United, but that logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The same could have been, and was, said for Salah and De Bruyne. Systems and fit matter. Ironically both failed at Chelsea And people learn and grow from failure.

ti vu

Additional loan, maybe yes because we need the numbers in. How many forwards (that are decent, play, have the right attitude etc..) do we currently have? But permanent signing, no.

But, our scouting system seems pretty poor.You have teams picking up decent players from across Europe, South East Asia, Africa... we don't even seem close to being on that level and I have no idea why? It's like ETH has a closed mind to sourcing players. Werner is a hard-working player, brings pace and will stretch teams.. but there must be a few players like that.

Man Utd seem such a closed place for transfers... we over pay for players, or we get people in, while we are panicking. It's extremely disappointing. Look at Doku at City. He's not a 'new emerging' talent. Szoboszlai too. That's just good scouting. We don't seem to be on that page and that's an ETH thing. He's too stubborn.
Neither those players are unknown. Szoboszlai slipped away to Leipzig from Arsenal grasp a couple seasons back for further development purpose. Liverpool triggered Szoboszlai's release clause and paid the fee in one go. Our financial restrain prevented us to do such deal.

Doku unlikely chose us where he had a clearer pathway to become starter for a better team after City sold Mahrez and Palmer.

Last edited:

JogaBonitoRooney

I'm not saying I want Werner, or that he would be a success at United, but that logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The same could have been, and was, said for Salah and De Bruyne. Systems and fit matter. Ironically both failed at Chelsea And people learn and grow from failure.
neither failed. they chose to leave instead of waiting or fighting for a spot for a littlr bit. it's not the same as flopping. chelsea's fault too for not fighting hard enough to keep them or give them opportunity. mourinho likes to play it safe fielding established players and getting instant results instead of developing raw talent.

ti vu

Salad and KDB were killing it in their new clubs in the new league. Werner is currently relegated to the bench. Sound like damaged good.

If it's just a loan to help easing up the burden on Hojlund, it maybe worth trying, since we know better not to rely on Martial staying fit for too long.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Would be a terrible deal for you. He’s not even first choice for Leipzig. I don’t believe he has what it takes for a club of that magnitude. I believe clubs like Leipzig are basically his limit.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Yes he's exactly what we need, another attacking player that doesnt score many goals. Will fit right in.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
With his off the ball movement, he'll create lots of chances. Bruno will be launching through balls every second.

I'd take him on a loan with option to buy.

Brophs

The One and Only
Don’t think I’ll ever get this song out of my head

Imo Erner ist kein Urensohn
Imo Einer ist kein Urensohn
Imo Einer ist ein Urensohn
Imo Einer ist ein Urensohn
Ikke Hüftgold ist ein Urensohn

Oranges038

They didn't fail. They weren't given the chance to fail, so they left and worked hard on getting better and came back and we all know how good they've been.

Werner hasn't done that, he came in, failed and was sent packing, he's even worse now than he was when Chelsea signed him first time round.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's a pressing machine, his confidence and finishing totally went whilst with us. So many narrow offsides as well. Not sure of he's had other issues going on.

Before we signed him his finishing was always pretty good.

OmarUnited4ever

I don't think he fits what EtH needs and he isn't a better striker than Hojlund or Martial, nor is he better than Rashford and Garnacho at LW, and I have not seen him as RW or AM

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
I don't get why signing a player from Leipzig is great scouting (Szoboszlai) but signing a player from Leipzig is terrible scouting (Werner)
Are you serious? That's a ridiculous argument. Do you think (re-)signing a RB from Leverkusen (Timothy Fosu-Mensah) would be as great a scouting as signing one of their CB (Tapsoba) or AMs (Wirtz)? Just because they play for the same team?

In case of Leipzig: Maybe because one was one of their best players before leaving, is currently 23 thus can be developed and has hit the ground running in the EPL. Whereas the other is 27, failed at Chelsea and is currently warming the bench at a team that is sitting in 5th place in Bundesliga.

jadajos

Supports
Football
A few days ago there where some reports about Real Madrid being interested in him (due to Vinicius Junior's injury), so United doesn't seem to be the only big club at least thinking about signing him
Or maybe that's just a busy agent dropping many big names to guarantee his client a good salary in negotiations with Brentford, West Ham and AS Roma.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Are you serious? That's a ridiculous argument.
The guy I responded to complained that United doesn't sign players from all over the world like Liverpool do. Szoboszlai was just a bad example to support that point. Of course there is a significant difference between signing him or Werner. So it was a more provocative than serious answer :angel:

jadajos

Supports
Football
The guy I responded to complained that United doesn't sign players from all over the world like Liverpool do. So it was a more provocative than serious answer :angel:
Gotcha, sorry!

RedUnited86

Who at the club saw him struggle at Chelsea and Leipzig this season and thought to themselves "ooohhh this guy is the answer!"?

Honestly, this club will be the death of me. An absolute fecking shit show.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Awful player, one of the reasons he wanted to go back to Germany is because he found the PL too difficult.
Complaining the PL defenders were all so strong and fast.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Awful player, one of the reasons he wanted to go back to Germany is because he found the PL too difficult.
Complaining the PL defenders were all so strong and fast.
Apparently Bundesliga is too difficult as well for him, because he has been crap ever since he came back.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently Bundesliga is too difficult as well for him, because he has been crap ever since he came back.
Yeah but he was once very good in that league.
He was never good in the PL. Struggled to out pace 37 year old Ivanovic.

GameOn

Yeah but he was once very good in that league.
He was never good in the PL. Struggled to out pace 37 year old Ivanovic.
That is just not true.

He was good for one single season in the BL.

Outside of that he has always been mediocre at best and a complete one-trick pony. His pace has been his one and only calling card (and he is really fast, make no mistake).

Those limitations are why he barely gets any minutes for Leipzig nowadays, why he isn't even called up to the national team anymore (despite their lack of strikers) and why everyone that followed the BL said that this was a terrible transfer for Chelsea when it happened.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
That is just not true.

He was good for one single season in the BL.

Outside of that he has always been mediocre at best and a complete one-trick pony. His pace has been his one and only calling card (and he is really fast, make no mistake).

Those limitations are why he barely gets any minutes for Leipzig nowadays, why he isn't even called up to the national team anymore (despite their lack of strikers) and why everyone that followed the BL said that this was a terrible transfer for Chelsea when it happened.
Didn't look that fast at Chelsea, not slow but also not that quick.

SER19

I might be in a minority, but i wanted him when chelsea got him, and thought hed be very good for us when leipzig got him. Ive no real justification other than a gut feeling, I just think he'd do well at United.