Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Manos

De Ligt is a world class player already and has a decade ahead of him. He's the De Gea of defending and any funds we have should be spent on him. While I like Toby, his injury record will only get worse as he gets old. Not sure about this one.
De Ligt world class :lol::lol::lol:

On what possible grounds has he deserved that ranking already???

VanGaalyTime

The next Koeman in about 5 years, maybe. He's nowhere near the same quality.
Yes, exactly. That's what next means. He's at a good level now at 19 but in 5 years he'll be a superstar. And if he goes to Spurs or City, you're looking at a 200m player.

onemanarmy

Yes, exactly. That's what next means. He's at a good level now at 19 but in 5 years he'll be a superstar. And if he goes to Spurs or City, you're looking at a 200m player.
Because every 19 year old who has high potential becomes a superstar right? You are vastly exaggerating his current level. He might be a future star, but we need players that can improve us now.

This place has gone fecking stupid, that's what has happened. We already have young CBs in Bailly, Lindelof. We need a CB in his peak right now.
It's beyond ridiculous. The FM generation at it's best.

VanGaalyTime

I understand what you're saying, he's 18 and there's no way of knowing what will happen in future. To a point, you're right. Ronaldo could have been injured at 20 and never record his form, likewise Messi. But their talent was clear and they were obviously destined to be worldclass by 18 years old. Defenders are harder to predict, but I believe De Ligt and Sule at Bayern are the two leading candidates. And if United can snap one up, they should rather than persisting with Smalling, Jones or Rojo next season.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
De Ligt could become the next best defender in the world or could be your next Nastasic/Mangala etc. We have enough young CBs ourselves, problem is our experienced CBs in Rojo and Smalling are gonna be both 29 this season and neither have been able to put out a consistent run of good performances. Smalling has done well overall this season but he always has a mistake or two in him.

Alderweireld is not only a top defender himself but most importantly he can organize a backline (which is where we are sorely lacking right now considering how many soft goals we've let in). Just take a look at this and you'll understand perhaps why Jose wants him and not the next infant.

He has 3 informs on FIFA this year, perhaps that's why :lol:

VanGaalyTime

Because every 19 year old who has high potential becomes a superstar right? You are vastly exaggerating his current level. He might be a future star, but we need players that can improve us now.
Not every 19 year old. But definitely this one. What's so hard to understand about that? We can't magically go to the future and see but his talent is pretty obvious now. Let's see what happens.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't think anyone's saying too old. Just that you could buy a player with similar quality for about the same price, who also happens to be 10 years younger. De Ligt isn't your usual 'looks good in Holland but can't hack it elsewhere' player. He's probably Ajax's best young player for a decade or more. And a lot of Dutch fans see him as the next Koemen.
I am all for buying great talents, but we really need someone who is a top class right away and there are absolutely no guarantees how De Ligt will handle that transition to the top club and a new league. Especially since we don't have that type of defender besides whom he will learn. Smalling was our most consistent defender this season, Jones is injury prone and now Bailly also missed half a season.

If the situation was different, if we were in a phase like Ferguson was with Ferdinand and Vidic than yes I would target talented youngsters like he did at the time.

Reyoji-Utd

We really need experience, calm, composed, good-pass defender to help organize our defense. Even with our good defense records, I always feel that once we’re pressed or in panic mode, we always going to concede.

We really do not have any leader at the back. Smalling supposed to be that person but he’s not. He’s superb when pair with any who can organize so that he can do his thing (defend).

We need security, stability, organization and some passing from back (bonus). And Alderweireld gives us that. I think if Jose trust that the defense can hold themselves 100%, he might let loose his midfield and attack a bit more.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why not buy both Alderweirald AND De Ligt? An experienced leader alongside one of the world's best young players. It's not as if any of our current lot are much good!

Suv666

I forget sometimes how nuts this place can be. Alderweireld too old :lol: And we need a top class CB.

As for De Ligt if he wasn't mentioned in that tweet nobody would bring him up.
Its the FIFA and FM generation. Apparently every 19 year old who shows promise will turn out to be the next Ballon D'or winner.

El-Manos

I understand what you're saying, he's 18 and there's no way of knowing what will happen in future. To a point, you're right. Ronaldo could have been injured at 20 and never record his form, likewise Messi. But their talent was clear and they were obviously destined to be worldclass by 18 years old. Defenders are harder to predict, but I believe De Ligt and Sule at Bayern are the two leading candidates. And if United can snap one up, they should rather than persisting with Smalling, Jones or Rojo next season.
I'm all for buying young talent but as others have highlighted, we need a leader now. We have a few young defenders at our club, bringing in another at this moment in time is not exactly what we need. Alderweireld would bring leadership and instant quality. I'd have no problem with us buying both and ship out Blind, Rojo and Jones but that obviously won't happen.

Suv666

I don't think anyone's saying too old. Just that you could buy a player with similar quality for about the same price, who also happens to be 10 years younger. De Ligt isn't your usual 'looks good in Holland but can't hack it elsewhere' player. He's probably Ajax's best young player for a decade or more. And a lot of Dutch fans see him as the next Koemen.
Similar quality really? Right now Toby and De Light are on different levels mate

onemanarmy

Seeing as you are from Belgium, what's your opinion on Toby?
Excellent defender, better than Vertonghen for instance, still has lots of years in him, but he's not the leader people make of him. He's more the silent type actually. Very likeable and down to earth character.

Acole9

Outstanding
He would be an excellent signing. The last thing we need is a young up and coming centre back.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
You could sell Kane to Chelsea tomorrow, Eriksen to Arsenal and Alli to Liverpool, and you would all still claim it was your decisions - Poch's decision, Levy's decision - and never the simple fact that a player wants to leave for a bigger club with higher chances of winning trophies, getting paid more by doing so. You don't decide where Alderweireld goes, you're not that kind of club. He goes wherever he wants to go if a bid is matched.
Calm down deary. Spurs absolutely do decide where we sell our players. If you don't think that's the case I suggest you get in the real world.

Reyoji-Utd

People wants to have young fullbacks and young defender bought to be our backlines and expect us to catch up to City who buy only ready made players with their endless funds.

I don’t want us to become Arsenal.

VanGaalyTime

People wants to have young fullbacks and young defender bought to be our backlines and expect us to catch up to City who buy only ready made players with their endless funds.

I don’t want us to become Arsenal.
Sane, Sterling, and Gabriel Jesus weren't ready made. But were pretty close. This is the type of player United needs to be buying to catch up with City.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Said it before, this just makes too much sense. Will therefore never happen.

Trizy

The comments... I have never heard of De Ligt on this forum since that tweet and all of a sudden he's rated as the Messi or CBs ffs :lol:.

I'm out of touch with the world of football in recent years due to lack of time to watch football and play fifa, but seriously.. how many of you have actually watched De Ligt play? Youtube and FUT Informs don't count.

Reyoji-Utd

Sane, Sterling, and Gabriel Jesus weren't ready made. But were pretty close. This is the type of player United needs to be buying to catch up with City.

Yes, but city still has their world class Aguero to help bed Jesus in. Sterling was there few years before Sane came and also Pep went ahead and buy B. Silva and was looking to add Sanchez too.

I understand you don’t want to miss on the talent of De Ligt but in this moment we need experience defender come in to help organize our defense.

If Jose decide to sell couple defenders to help get both then be perfect but that looks unlikely. So the BEST possible choice is to buy Alderweireld if we can.

Ekeke

De Ligt could become the next best defender in the world or could be your next Nastasic/Mangala etc. We have enough young CBs ourselves, problem is our experienced CBs in Rojo and Smalling are gonna be both 29 this season and neither have been able to put out a consistent run of good performances. Smalling has done well overall this season but he always has a mistake or two in him.

Alderweireld is not only a top defender himself but most importantly he can organize a backline (which is where we are sorely lacking right now considering how many soft goals we've let in). Just take a look at this and you'll understand perhaps why Jose wants him and not the next infant.

He has 3 informs on FIFA this year, perhaps that's why :lol:
I mean first its Ajax. Doesnt really say anything. They've had the best defensive record for the past 6 years... and conceded 1 more goal than AZ else the record would go back further. So you can pretty much ignore up to 12/13

Southampton did well with their defensive record that season sure. 1 of those 2 Spurs seasons they were equal with us and they are 3rd this season without him only featuring 14 times.

In fact Spurs have conceeded just 1 more goal this season than they did that season, largely without Alderweireld and even when he has played he hasnt been that good.

I think Alderweireld would be a good signing at a reasonable price as he is better on the ball than our CBs, but I also think this place overrates him and that screen is very misleading because only the Southampton season and 1 of the Spurs seasons really say much at all about him.

el3mel

De Light is more suited for a team like Barca not us. Alderweireld is better for us.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

I'm all for buying young talent but as others have highlighted, we need a leader now. We have a few young defenders at our club, bringing in another at this moment in time is not exactly what we need. Alderweireld would bring leadership and instant quality. I'd have no problem with us buying both and ship out Blind, Rojo and Jones but that obviously won't happen.
Why not buy both, and loan De Ligt back to Ajax for a year, get rid of one of Rojo/Jones this year, get rid of the other next year, prevents the disruption of adding potentially 3 new starters in defence in one go.

Sb_16

Not against this signing, however looking at how we're buying a third CB in three consecutive summers to add to our whole lot of CB collection does not paint our recruitment policy in good light. In fact most of our investment each window has been in the same positions. Anyway, third times the charm.

P.S. Those expecting Smalling to be replaced are most probably gonna be disappointed. He's our most reliable CB in terms of availability and performance.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Would be very happy with Alderweireld.

Bailly, Alderweireld, Jones and Lindelof next season? Injury central though :nervous:

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
What about that Bailly fella? I hear he's pretty good. C'mon guys.. Get Alderweireld in, we need money for many other positions you know.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The comments... I have never heard of De Ligt on this forum since that tweet and all of a sudden he's rated as the Messi or CBs ffs :lol:.

I'm out of touch with the world of football in recent years due to lack of time to watch football and play fifa, but seriously.. how many of you have actually watched De Ligt play? Youtube and FUT Informs don't count.
Did you not watch the Europa League final when he played against us?

Eredivisie is on Sky Sports every week as well. He's not playing football on the moon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Eredivisie is on Sky Sports every week as well. He's not playing football on the moon.
Yes but its still ridiculous

cyberman

If you are not from Holland then you're not watching the Dutch league, I don't care if its on primetime BBC.
Is there even a Dutch league thread on this forum?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes but its still ridiculous
How so? He's very good. He impressed throughout the Europa League last season, including against us. He was better than his partner Sanchez who ended up leaving for big money. He's continued to be impressive this season.

Club captain now at only 18 too.

If you are not from Holland then you're not watching the Dutch league, I don't care if its on primetime BBC.
Is there even a Dutch league thread on this forum?
I'm not Dutch and I watched both Ajax's league games against Feyenoord on Sky, and their game home to PSV in a bar in Amsterdam.

Regardless, to say that no one here has even watched him play is madness, since he played against us in a cup final - and played very well, so I'd wager just about everyone on this forum has seen him play at least once. Many in the matchday thread for that final were praising him much more so than Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.