Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanche7

why not both? But actually I agree - we have other positions which are more critical - and De Ligt looks immense.
Yeah I would love it if we could buy Sandro + Tierney for LB and Toby + De Ligt for CB.
But the problem is that we have many other weaknesses.
We need CM × 2,RB,RW to complete the squad.
De Ligt would probably cost 40 mill plus, Tierney 30 mill which would mean 2 CB + 2 LB would cost us a total of 160 mill plus.

Why don't we sell some of our deadwood you ask?
The problem is you can't sell half your team, add 10 new players and expect them all to click straight away.
We will have to integrate them into the squad, which would need senior players like Smalling and Young.
So we can't sell them all, we can't buy them all,i wish there was a way, but there isn't.

Sanche7

An 80 year old for 95 million? No thanks. Wages alone will be 500k a week. We should target that young fetus from Ajax nursery.
Should build a time machine and kidnap De Ligt the second he pops out of his mother's belly.

Infra-red

why not both? But actually I agree - we have other positions which are more critical - and De Ligt looks immense.
I can see the argument for two new CBs (none of the current lot can be relied upon). Unfortunately, we simply have too much work to do in the market to sort out midfield and the fullback positions to be able to blow £80m+ on centrebacks.

If we can only sign one, we should prioritize proven quality, leadership and the ability to play out from the back. Alderweireld ticks those boxes.

Morpheus 7

Now I've seen it all. He's had one bigger injury in his 11 years as a professional footballer. Jezus Christ.
Would you calm down, he's missed a lot of football this season and struggling to get his fitness back. Yeah he's had problems with the new contract but hardly played this year. He's missed a chunk of the last 3 seasons with hamstring and knee injuries. Ok I'll rephrase it, he's been out a good bit in the the last three seasons. I rate him and think he would be class at United.

AgentP

We need an expreienced head like Alderweireld at the back. Most of our CBs are the combative type. So pairing them with his calm presence and brilliant passing will bring a better balance to our backline.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Only concern I have is his hammy. Hope he's fully over that and hasn't had any reoccurrence?

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I agree 100% - we need a consistent leader at the back if we want to challenge for the title next season, Toby will give us that.
When you look at the players that Mourinho supposedly had a falling out with: Shaw, Martial, Pogba....
The cause isn't likely to be about ability or potential, its about application.

The mentality & professionalism of some players in our squad can probably be questioned, but you won't have those question marks over Alderweireld.
What you get is a leader, a commander and experienced head, and we have a lack of that type of character.

For me, this transfer would be such a good signing by Jose.

El-Manos

We need an expreienced head like Alderweireld at the back. Most of our CBs are the combative type. So pairing them with his calm presence and brilliant passing will bring a better balance to our backline.
He'll be our Luke Skywalker

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As good as he is, he's injury-prone and 29. We seem to be building a team for next year and that's it.

VanGaalyTime

De Ligt is a world class player already and has a decade ahead of him. He's the De Gea of defending and any funds we have should be spent on him. While I like Toby, his injury record will only get worse as he gets old. Not sure about this one.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I'm not saying he is not good enough, i just think it would be best if we focussed on our fullbacks first.

Also there is the small task of dealing with Levy so it is best we keep away from that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The actual feck? De Ligt over Alderweireld? What the hell is the matter with this place.

dove

What's up with this obsession with age? He just turned 29, we can't buy only 20-21 year olds. £40M is a bit too much IMO knowing that he is on the last year of contract and is being frozen out of Spurs squad as he wants to leave but no doubt he would be a quality signing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cant believe this is even a debate

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
De Ligt is a world class player already and has a decade ahead of him. He's the De Gea of defending and any funds we have should be spent on him. While I like Toby, his injury record will only get worse as he gets old. Not sure about this one.
A bit presumptuous to say world class already but the sentiment is entirely logical. Why aid Spurs’ defensive overhaul? Just cut the chase and get De Ligt ourselves.

As much as it pains me to say it, Blind could even be used to facilitate the move and result in very little expense.

If we have to go for a Spurs player, it should be Dier.

goober88

Youth players and a strong first team/squad is the best way things could be done but to sacrifice the latter for the sake of the former is absurd. Choosing an EIGHTEEN year old De Ligt over a proven Alderweireld would be a laughable decision. Real Madrid brought in Varane when he was eighteen but they already had the established partnership of Pepe and Ramos.

Reactions: KM

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The actual feck? De Ligt over Alderweireld? What the hell is the matter with this place.
This place has gone fecking stupid, that's what has happened. We already have young CBs in Bailly, Lindelof. We need a CB in his peak right now.

cyberman

As good as he is, he's injury-prone and 29. We seem to be building a team for next year and that's it.
Building for the future is a myth on here.
We bought 18 year old Ronaldo, suffered through his inconsistencies to get what? 3 years of excellent football?
We went through the same thing with DDG with a fax machine saving the day.
Spurs built a young side yet here we are with Young, Smalling and Valencia outlasting Toby, Rose and Walker.
You can only really build really long term around acadamy graduates who have so much love for the club that they don't follow through on wanting to experience different leagues etc.
A signing that gives you 3/4 good years is the new long term imo

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I forget sometimes how nuts this place can be. Alderweireld too old :lol: And we need a top class CB.

As for De Ligt if he wasn't mentioned in that tweet nobody would bring him up.

Alabaster Codify7

Definitely would take him. He'd be light-years ahead of our options. Toby and Smalling to start as 1st choice pairing (I've always felt, that, alongside a Vidic/Rio/Stam type leader, Smalling would improve greatly - he's just got no leadership skills himself and needs guidance).

Bailly, Lindelof and Jones to provide competition. Hopefully, Bailly would eventually ease Smalling out.

Sell Rojo, loan Tuanzebe again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not saying he is not good enough, i just think it would be best if we focussed on our fullbacks first.

Also there is the small task of dealing with Levy so it is best we keep away from that.
Signing a CB doesn't stop us from signing fullbacks .

onemanarmy

Would you calm down, he's missed a lot of football this season and struggling to get his fitness back. Yeah he's had problems with the new contract but hardly played this year. He's missed a chunk of the last 3 seasons with hamstring and knee injuries. Ok I'll rephrase it, he's been out a good bit in the the last three seasons. I rate him and think he would be class at United.
Ok, let's get to the facts.

This season he's missed 29 games because of a hamstring injury. In 16-17 he missed 9 games, in 15/16 he wasn't injured at all. That's 38 games in total. So that's an average of about 12 games a season for the past 3 years, which is skewed by the injury of this season. He's the opposite of injury prone if you ask me.

Wanna compare the same stats for Jones, Bailly, Rojo? Jones has missed 69 games in the same period, Rojo 59, Bailly 44.

Jacko21

This place has gone fecking stupid, that's what has happened. We already have young CBs in Bailly, Lindelof. We need a CB in his peak right now.
If it were up to this place, we’d be in a permanent state of planning for the future.

We’d be the club equivalent of England.

We need ready-made, hired guns. We’re not in a position to p*ss about with prospects.

Red_toad

Buy De Ligt instead. He will be worth triple his fee now in 3 years. He is already a very good CB with massive potential.
Fully agree. We can ease him into the team, as we’ve got lots of experienced defenders. De Ligt will be an exceptional defenders in the near future. But I’d say Jose is going to have to challenge for PL and CL next season! Club really needs a director of football, so we don’t need to splurge on players approaching 30.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not just at the back. If some people had their way our teams average age would be 20.
Everyone wants players for next 6-7 years. Nobody realizes that situation changes very quickly these days in football and short term contracts are beneficial for both parties.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Signing a CB doesn't stop us from signing fullbacks .
We haven't got endless funds....anyhow it would be tragic if we ended up with young and valencia as our fullbacks next season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

I usually hate us dealing with Levy, but because of Alderweireld's contract, he will have to sell. And not for the price he would like to. 40million in this market isn't big money for a top defender.

If he wants to come here, it's a no-brainer.

VanGaalyTime

I forget sometimes how nuts this place can be. Alderweireld too old :lol: And we need a top class CB.

As for De Ligt if he wasn't mentioned in that tweet nobody would bring him up.
I don't think anyone's saying too old. Just that you could buy a player with similar quality for about the same price, who also happens to be 10 years younger. De Ligt isn't your usual 'looks good in Holland but can't hack it elsewhere' player. He's probably Ajax's best young player for a decade or more. And a lot of Dutch fans see him as the next Koemen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Exactly and we need to not do what we were discussing in the transfer tweets thread and actively block paths to the first team. That’s exactly what buying de ligt would do for tuanzebe.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I usually hate us dealing with Levy, but because of Alderweireld's contract, he will have to sell. And not for the price he would like to. 40million in this market isn't big money for a top defender.

If he wants to come here, it's a no-brainer.
I think Levy will make it impossible for us to buy him and will probably end up going abroad.

AP88

Supports
Man City
United are about to sign the best defender in the league and arguably Europe, in his prime with 5 years ahead of him at least due to his intellectual approach to defending.....and you have small minds having tantrums because they’d rather sign a defender from a pub league, who’s subject to hyperbole because he’s physically advanced for his age, based on YouTube videos and eventual FIFA potential. What a time to be alive.

onemanarmy

I don't think anyone's saying too old. Just that you could buy a player with similar quality for about the same price, who also happens to be 10 years younger. De Ligt isn't your usual 'looks good in Holland but can't hack it elsewhere' player. He's probably Ajax's best young player for a decade or more. And a lot of Dutch fans see him as the next Koemen.
The next Koeman in about 5 years, maybe. He's nowhere near the same quality.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Fully agree. We can ease him into the team, as we’ve got lots of experienced defenders. De Ligt will be an exceptional defenders in the near future. But I’d say Jose is going to have to challenge for PL and CL next season! Club really needs a director of football, so we don’t need to splurge on players approaching 30.
Assuming you wouldn’t sign Lewandowski if he was available then?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Totally agree with this. If Alderweireld is available for a decent price then it's a no-brainer for me.

dove

And how do you know? Do you know how many 'next Messi, next Ronaldo, next Koeman' we have every year? Percentage who actually live up to their potential is very very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.