Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
This would be a fecking fantastic signing, wow. If we get Alderweireld and Sandro our defence is really shaping up, especially with de Gea (hopefully :nervous:) behind them.

cyberman

So thats 90m for Toby and Sandro?
Add in 2 midfielders and (hopefully) a RB which could be a 250m outlay without signing an attacker.
Thats quite the overhaul

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Buy De Ligt instead. He will be worth triple his fee now in 3 years. He is already a very good CB with massive potential.
I agree that de Ligt would be a great buy, but we need a leader at the back. Alderweireld would be first choice and, hopefully, part of a settled back 4.

Ahsan_6386

Surely if we get him it means one defender gonna be sold ? Rojo or Jones ?
I think Rojo will go. I always believed that we got him to sign a new contract just so that we could get a better price . I remember PSG were interested around the time when he signed the contract . Wouldn't surprise me a club offering over 20 million for him considering he is in his prime years and earns around 70k I think . I feel United will avoid selling Jones or Smalling since Jose seems to trust them more plus they are both English and we need to keep our English quota intact because Shaw will most probably leave this summer .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Jones, Rojo, Bailly or Smalling.

All are injury prone and not particularly good.
Bailly is going nowhere. Rojo just signed a new contract. I'd suspect it would be between Jones and Smalling. Then there was this speculation with Lindelof going on loan. But we can't have 5 centre backs if we are playing four at the back. That's without even thinking about Tuanzebe.

Kapardin

I agree with going for Di Ligt instead.
Why, we already have young inconsistent CBs and old inconsistent one (Smalling). We don't need another young, potentially inconsistent CB. Let Spurs have the Dutch Delight.

We need a leader to get our group of knucklehead CBs to deliver consistent performances on a regular basis. Our current crop is not without talent, but all of them are brainless often when it comes to crunch situations. Alderweedy (?) is perfect if he doesn't get injured all the time, rotate the others with him.

redpatron

Toby is very injury prone, class player but let's call it as it is.
Injury prone? Phil jones is injury prone.

He had one major hamstring issue and he’s injury prone. Redcafe darling Chris smalling has more injuries than he does and nobody labels that garbage injury prone.

Trizy

Yes.
Our defenders are a huge reason our attack is shit.
Well to be fair, our defense is kinda shit at times regardless of the stats.

Can't fault the price tag. He's better than VVD who is only 2 years younger and cost £75m. Obviously the contract remaining has reduced the price. We'll easily get £20-30m for Jones, Smalling or Rojo making the Toby deal look like very good business.

Both Rojo and Smalling are 28 years old. Not exactly replacing them with an oldie given Toby is only 29.

Shark

@NotShark
We have enough young CBs we need a top player to lead the defence and now
Yep, Rojo, Bailly and even Jones is still relatively young for a CB. For a CB, 29 isn't anywhere close to old anyway, even Vidic and Rio who had their share of injuries later on in the careers lasted well into their 30's.

Sanche7

Man, many people on here would prefer infants playing for us at the back.
We need a starting CB, our straying CBs are meh or injury prone. That's not the case with spurs, they have a very well settled CB pairing in Sanchez and Jan, which allows them to slowly integrate youngsters into the team instead of throwing them in the deep end. We don't have that luxury, we can't afford any more feck ups, especially in defense where we have spend so much on average players.

Mourinho is a pragmatic coach, he needs his defense to be top class, only then would he give freedom to the attackers. Right now we have lots of meh CBs and we have two young CBs in Lindelof and Bailly. Plus we have Tuanzebe coming back. TFM too can play as CB or is better at CB.
Why do we still need another young CB.
I agree that De Ligt is really good but we need a leader right now, not another kid with promise who blows hot and cold.

AndyJ1985

We need a starting CB, our straying CBs are meh or injury prone. That's not the case with spurs, they have a very well settled CB pairing in Sanchez and Jan, which allows them to slowly integrate youngsters into the team instead of throwing them in the deep end. We don't have that luxury, we can't afford any more feck ups, especially in defense where we have spend so much on average players.

Mourinho is a pragmatic coach, he needs his defense to be top class, only then would he give freedom to the attackers. Right now we have lots of meh CBs and we have two young CBs in Lindelof and Bailly. Plus we have Tuanzebe coming back. TFM too can play as CB or is better at CB.
I agree that De Ligt is really good but we need a leader right now, not another kid with promise who blows hot and cold.
Not just at the back. If some people had their way our teams average age would be 20.

I agree 100% - we need a consistent leader at the back if we want to challenge for the title next season, Toby will give us that.

Infra-red

Alderweireld would bring leadership and the ability to play the ball out from the back - a combination which none of our existing CB options possess.

Reyoji-Utd

Maybe it’s because Jose doesn’t fully trust our defense to hold their own that we see Matic/Pogba/Herrera has to be deep to protect them and collect the ball to play forward.

Maybe with Alderweireld, Jose trust him to organize and deliver some passes up without much help from our midfielders all the time. At around 40mil and if not hindering any of our other signings then it’s good that we buy him.

iHicksy

An 80 year old for 95 million? No thanks. Wages alone will be 500k a week. We should target that young fetus from Ajax nursery.

Status
Not open for further replies.