Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Douglas Costa, Willian, Fernandinho, Mkhitaryan were all at same age or older when they moved to top league, IIRC same with Thiago Silva and Falcao.
How many players had done well after leaving the Ukrainian league though.

Anyway my point is simple. Fred represent a high risk signing. He's Brazilian (we've yet to sign one who was a success to us) who had never played in a decent league before.

AR87

He's 25 and has yet to play in a top tier league. I hope he succeed but lets not hype the guy too much.
Was somebody hyping him up in this thread for you to make that comment.....again? Most of the comments on Fred I've seen are optimistic but short of claiming he's going to be some world beater who elevates us to the title by himself.

devilish

Was somebody hyping him up in this thread for you to make that comment.....again? Most of the comments on Fred I've seen are optimistic but short of claiming he's going to be some world beater who elevates us to the title by himself.
I was assessing our transfers so far. I think he's a high risk signing whom at best can be considered as a squad player at least in his first year. I hope I am wrong though.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

Anyway my point is simple. Fred represent a high risk signing. He's Brazilian (we've yet to sign one who was a success to us) who had never played in a decent league before.
That's different argument and has nothing to do with your initial point.

All the players I mentioned have done well after leaving the league and there will be few more too.

devilish

That's different argument and has nothing to do with your initial point.

All the players I mentioned have done well after leaving the league and there will be few more too.
of course it does. Our best signing is a player who did well in a fifth rated league who had produced 1 WC player in all its history. He's also Brazilian and we all know our track record with such players. All you have mentioned are mere exceptions of the case not the rule.

I think its unfair to pin such responsibility on him. The guy will need time to settle down and can be thrown in the spotlight like that. We know very well the pressures Fellaini had to pass from when he was in that same position and we're talking here of an EPL proven player here.

Old Ma Crow

It's quite clear to every man and his dog that Martial wants out. He's also pining for Spurs. He'd jump at the chance to play under Poch and get regular football. It's mental to think he wants to waste his career away as a bit part player at United like he is currently.

You won't be able to wait it out and get Toby anyway. It's a whole season away. Plus when he is available for £25 million I'm sure it won't just be United after him next summer. Anyway Levy may be banking on interest from Spanish clubs later this window and we will just sell him there.

The only thing I’ll remember about this transfer deadline! Classic!

Reactions: Ødegaard

buckooo1978

reckon we will sign him in the last hour for about 50m

Woody holding off to create a bit of excitement

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seems that all this talk about Alderweireld these past few months was a load of tosh anyway.
Perhaps he was on Mourinho's list but according to Pochettino in the Metro......

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says the club did not receive any offers from Manchester United for defender Toby Alderweireld.
Reports in The Times even suggested the Belgium international’s agent was on his way to England on Thursday morning to secure a deadline day deal.
However, Pochettino has rubbished those suggestions and insisted not a single bid was made for the 29-year-old’s services over the summer.

AR87

Seems that all this talk about Alderweireld these past few months was a load of tosh anyway.
Perhaps he was on Mourinho's list but according to Pochettino in the Metro......

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says the club did not receive any offers from Manchester United for defender Toby Alderweireld.
Reports in The Times even suggested the Belgium international’s agent was on his way to England on Thursday morning to secure a deadline day deal.
However, Pochettino has rubbished those suggestions and insisted not a single bid was made for the 29-year-old’s services over the summer.
You can negotiate for a player without making an official offer. Poch saying this doesn't mean anything.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Can't see how we can possibly go without signing Alderweireld or a similar CB but at the same time it can't be long now before the inevitable "Manchester United have given up on a CB, they say they're very happy with their squad and their business this year including the irrepressible Lee Grant, and are more than confident of winning a Premier League and Champions League double".

AndyJ1985

Can't see how we can possibly go without signing Alderweireld or a similar CB but at the same time it can't be long now before the inevitable "Manchester United have given up on a CB, they say they're very happy with their squad and their business this year including the irrepressible Lee Grant, and are more than confident of winning a Premier League and Champions League double".
Why is everyone so desperate for a CB all of a sudden? Before the summer everyone agreed we needed full backs and a RW. Now there's talk of it being a disaster if we don't sign a DB on deadline day.

Patrick08

Why is everyone so desperate for a CB all of a sudden? Before the summer everyone agreed we needed full backs and a RW. Now there's talk of it being a disaster if we don't sign a DB on deadline day.
We need to play out from the back with better transition and stop leaking in big games as Jose does not force the issue.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Because one world class leader at the back can patch everything together and inspire confidence throughout the team.

BarstoolProphet

Because despite having a tonne of defenders at our disposal we're still about as solid as the Maginot Line.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

You can negotiate for a player without making an official offer. Poch saying this doesn't mean anything.
Indeed we probably called Spurs, got an indication on what the price would be and went elsewhere

AndyJ1985

Because despite having a tonne of defenders at our disposal we're still about as solid as the Maginot Line.
Our defensive record last season was quite good. Yes De Gea was largely to thank, but De Gea hasn't gone anywhere so who cares. It's our attack that is piss poor. A defender isn't going to be the difference between challenging City and not challenging City.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Most of the top players from that league have done very well after they moved to top European leagues.

Patrick08

Our defensive record last season was quite good. Yes De Gea was largely to thank, but De Gea hasn't gone anywhere so who cares. It's our attack that is piss poor. A defender isn't going to be the difference between challenging City and not challenging City.
Defenders contribute in attack who can pass the ball forward and help in transition.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Unless we're playing De Bryune in defence it'll make no difference.
We hoof the ball so much. You watch teams like Madrid, Bayern, and Juve it's a stark contrast to how confident their defenders are by being able to play out from the back. We'll never be able to do it if we have Smalling in the team, along with Young at LB who has to check inside to his right foot everytime before passing.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It does make a lot of difference actually.
With a confident ball playing CD bring the ball out of defence, it allows your midfield to push on rather than dropping deeper to collect the ball.
This has a knock on effect, because your team retains its shape and your midfield have greater licence to influence your attacks.

AndyJ1985

We hoof the ball so much. You watch teams like Madrid, Bayern, and Juve it's a stark contrast to how confident their defenders are by being able to play out from the back. We'll never be able to do it if we have Smalling in the team, along with Young at LB who has to check inside to his right foot everytime before passing.
Alderweireld will hoof the ball too. He might be more accurate with it but that's still what will happen. One defender will never transform an attack. A good RW and a couple quality full backs would bring so much more to our team.

AndyJ1985

It does make a lot of difference actually.
With a confident ball playing CD bring the ball out of defence, it allows your midfield to push on rather than dropping deeper to collect the ball.
This has a knock on effect, because your team retains its shape and your midfield have greater licence to influence your attacks.
Lindelof is supposed to be a ball playing CB and he has made literally zero difference, so sorry but I disagree that a defender will make any difference to the way we attack.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Lindelof is supposed to be a ball playing CB and he has made literally zero difference, so sorry but I disagree that a defender will make any difference to the way we attack.
He's a bit shit defensively, so it negates any positive impact the guy can make.

Sing you a song

What a royal cock up we have made of this window. We have 19 points and 40 goals to make up to challenge city.It was widely agreed that the priorities were 2 top wing backs / full backs another top class Centre mid and a right winger. We also hoped we would sell Darmian,Blind and either Rojo or smalling or Jones and get a top CB. We also hoped we would finally get rid of Fellaini
Throughout the window we have been strongly linked with a number of game changing top players with at times some of them looking nailed on
Bale
Perisic
Willian
Maguire
Toby
Sandro

And we end up with Fred, a young kid and a 3rd team goalie !!

We got rid of Blind but Darmian and the 2nd rate centre backs are still here and not only is Fellaini still here he has a new bloody contract

Biggest club in the world !! We’r a laughing stock

Patrick08

It will make enough difference to get the ball forward a lot quicker than what we do with Smalling and Jones while defensively being better in the box.

Big Andy

Bloke
What a royal cock up we have made of this window. We have 19 points and 40 goals to make up to challenge city.It was widely agreed that the priorities were 2 top wing backs / full backs another top class Centre mid and a right winger. We also hoped we would sell Darmian,Blind and either Rojo or smalling or Jones and get a top CB. We also hoped we would finally get rid of Fellaini
Throughout the window we have been strongly linked with a number of game changing top players with at times some of them looking nailed on
Bale
Perisic
Willian
Maguire
Toby
Sandro

And we end up with Fred, a young kid and a 3rd team goalie !!

We got rid of Blind but Darmian and the 2nd rate centre backs are still here and not only is Fellaini still here he has a new bloody contract

Biggest club in the world !! We’r a laughing stock
We’re only a laughing stock because the media are telling you we are...

We’ve replaced Carrick with Fred, we’ve got a back up for Valencia/Young.

Do we need a centre back? I’d say no...play Lindelof and Bailly, players that Jose himself bought, for £65m, and let them build up a partnership and understanding over a number of games without chopping and changing...

Then if they don’t perform, buy a new CB next year...

Do we need a centre back? I’d say no...play Lindelof and Bailly, players that Jose himself bought, for £65m, and let them build up a partnership and understanding over a number of games without chopping and changing...

I’m really not sure why people continue to believe what the media spout. In addition, the drama queens on here wouldn’t be happy whatever we did.

I thought we would get in a couple more players, but everyone should get some perspective - look at what’s happening at the majority of clubs in the PL, nothing. Too many clubs just don’t have to sell, and so there’s no point in just throwing millions of pounds on any old crap. Utd, City, Chelsea and Spurs have barely bought anyone, it’s not as if it’s just us.

At least we can now concentrate on the actual football, no-one ever got any prizes for winning the transfer window. Come on Utd.

Nico87

The problem with that is both are weak in the air, add to that De Gea who's only real weakness is he doesn't come to claim crosses and you have a tactic that's many English clubs like to use that would make us vulnerable, even to players as limited as Andy Carroll.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The problem with that is both are weak in the air, add to that De Gea who's only real weakness is he doesn't come to claim crosses and you have a tactic that's many English clubs like to use that would make us vulnerable, even to players as limited as Andy Carroll.
Plus Bailly is always injured and that's not Jose's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.