Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Why wouldnt it be true anyhow.. He's been doing great on all of his loan moves, could well be one to look out for next season along with Welbeck

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Decent against Villa yesterday. Won the ball brilliantly prior to Wigan's goal and generally passed it around well. Struggled in one-on-one situations with Walker though. All in all, I think he's looked a little bit jaded lately, guess the season's beginning to take it's toll.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's been playing wide left for them hasn't he? Unfortunately that's not a position we're lacking in.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's been playing wide left for them hasn't he? Unfortunately that's not a position we're lacking in.
It's a position he could get games in for us though. Similar to how Park plays it for us. Obviously he won't be at the head of the queue but I don't see why he wouldn't get a decent amount of games for us next season. Certainly in the first half of the season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's a position he could get games in for us though. Similar to how Park plays it for us. Obviously he won't be at the head of the queue but I don't see why he wouldn't get a decent amount of games for us next season. Certainly in the first half of the season.
This.

We'll need cover eventually in midfield.Some of our players are approaching their peak and we don't need a Chelsea scenario where there doesn't seem to be any competition from younger players

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Good first half against West Ham. Kept taking up positions and making runs, used the ball well. Definitely didn't deserve to be taken off, but desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
From the extended highlights I saw, he actually looked very good. He had the beating of the RB every time, to use a cliche.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
From the extended highlights I saw, he actually looked very good. He had the beating of the RB every time, to use a cliche.
Wasn't he taken off quite early on. That would indicate I didn't have the best of games. I've seen nothing of that game yet though.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Taken off at HT yes, but as Elliot points out, that may have been more down to the demands of the situation than his performance.

Devil may care

Wigan winger Cleverley confident Man Utd boss Ferguson rates him | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

Wigan Athletic winger Tom Cleverley is confident of a future at parent club Manchester United.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has spoken of involving Cleverley in next season's squad.

Asked if he would be part of Ferguson's plans next season, Cleverley told Sky Sports: "Yes, from what he's been saying. I feel fully part of the team there and the squad, and hopefully I can just hit the ground running in pre-season and play my way into the team.

"That is what the plan has been for the last few years. I went out in League One, the Championship and now the Premier League, so it has been building up to next season when hopefully I can start featuring for the side and that will save the club from going out and having to buy another midfielder."

Laphroaig

That is what the plan has been for the last few years. I went out in League One, the Championship and now the Premier League, so it has been building up to next season when hopefully I can start featuring for the side and that will save the club from going out and having to buy another midfielder.
Muppet killer!

prateik

Carrick+Fletch+Ando+Gibson(fergie mentioned him after we won the league) are not going anywhere
If Hargreaves signs a new contract, there is a very good chance we wont sign another central midfielder. The reaction here is going be brilliant :D

humdinger

Carrick+Fletch+Ando+Gibson(fergie mentioned him after we won the league) are not going anywhere
If Hargreaves signs a new contract, there is a very good chance we wont sign another central midfielder. The reaction here is going be brilliant :D
Caf meltdown!!

humdinger

I like Cleverley, good attitude.
I agree, seems to be a really good, dedicated lad who is desperate to do well for us. Plus he's a decent player. This year hasn't gone quite as well as we'd hoped, but the chance of him taking the premier league by storm the way he did in the championship was always going to be small. He's got some good experience now though, so hopefully by bringing him back and having him train with our first team his progression will accelerate again.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I agree, seems to be a really good, dedicated lad who is desperate to do well for us. Plus he's a decent player. This year hasn't gone quite as well as we'd hoped, but the chance of him taking the premier league by storm the way he did in the championship was always going to be small. He's got some good experience now though, so hopefully by bringing him back and having him train with our first team his progression will accelerate again.
What makes you say that?

twitter thread suggester
He hasn't been quite the revelation as someone like Welbeck, Sturridge or Wilshere last season, but I'd still say he's done better than "ok".

Ringo 07

He hasnt done worse than Wilshire did at Bolton last year but with superior players ahead of him in the team and a possible arrival of another winger, he will become very close with Gibson,Berbatov, O'Shea and Evans next season from spending a lot of time on the bench with them!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
he says through a vail of tears....:p

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Well it hasn't, look at Wigan for a start. And is it a coincidence that Wigan's turnaround at the weekend coincided with Cleverley being taken off at half time?

He's done "ok" at Wigan, nothing more.
your basing it on one game? really? :angel:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well it hasn't, look at Wigan for a start. And is it a coincidence that Wigan's turnaround at the weekend coincided with Cleverley being taken off at half time?

He's done "ok" at Wigan, nothing more.
They took off two midfielders and replaced them with two strikers so no, it's not a coincidence that Wigan posed more of an attacking threat after he went off.

That's no reflection on Cleverley, any more than it was on McCarthy (a player who is having an excellent breakthrough season in the PL but got the hook alongside Cleverley at the weekend)

humdinger

What makes you say that?
It hasn't been a stand-out season from him like it was last year, but I did also say that it was unlikely as it's a massive step up from the championship. I wasn't criticising him - he's done fine and been quietly efficient at Wigan racking up plenty of games. He's got 29 appearances (5 as sub) and 4 goals under his belt though, so that's been very beneficial for him. Also the fact that Wigan have been involved in a relegation scrap and the associated pressure is probably a good thing for a youngster like him to experience.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
“Wasup, he isn’t ready to play at united yet, great technique and good defensively. But he lacks pace for a winger, imo would be better suited to play more central. Puts a shift in every game and he’s a team player, think he’d be better off moving to a mid-bottom table team and getting regular football then being a reserve at united. At 21 he’s got the potential to be a very good player in a couple seasons.”

“Cleverly has done well to be honest, wasnt too sure on him at first but he definately has something about him. His passing is strong and he can pull off some good shots, pretty comfortable on the ball as well.
As for him refreshing the United midfield; i dont think he is good enough yet, abit more experience at a team like us and I dont see why not in 2 or 3 seasons.”

“Hey i think he is defitnley a player for your future. But i dont think he is a player who will burst on the scene for you in a blaze of glory. He is more likely to just slowly come onto the scene. He shows moments of absolute class, but he also looks pretty normal at times. But he is only young and the is no reason why he can’t keep improving. He is defintley not a a Valencia or palacious, but he is defo good enought to play regular first team football, in the prem. An defintley worth you men keeping hold of him for another season or two and see how much he does improve.”

“A player for their future ? He’ll be 22 by the time the start of next season comes and still hasnt made a single senior first team appearance. I hear that Fergie rates him but i wonder how much he rates him. I cant think of a single player to come through the United ranks in the last 20 years who by 22 hadnt made a first team appearance, yet went on to become a regular for them.”

“His lack of pace will always limit how far he goes in the game. I don’t think he’s shown consistently for us how good he can actually be but that comes down to the manager’s use of him. He’s never a winger and should be playing where Watson does for us. His ability on the ball is without question, we just don’t give it to him in a position where he can do anything with it.”
Wigan's fans view on Cleverley this season.

I'm always right

They took off two midfielders and replaced them with two strikers so no, it's not a coincidence that Wigan posed more of an attacking threat after he went off.

That's no reflection on Cleverley, any more than it was on McCarthy (a player who is having an excellent breakthrough season in the PL but got the hook alongside Cleverley at the weekend)
But Cleverley is an attacking player and he wasn't ripping up trees in the first half hence why he was pulled.

I'm a fan of Cleverley but we're really stretching the truth to make out that he's had anything more than an "ok" season for Wigan. It's so typical of the caf to jump onto a poster's back just because he's trying to calm expectations.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I wonder what Bolton fans' opinion of Wilshere was a year ago? Personally, I thought he did well on loan there, but no better or worse than Cleverley at Wigan. I was surprised by Wilshere's mature performances in 2010/11, put it that way.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But Cleverley is an attacking player and he wasn't ripping up trees in the first half hence why he was pulled.

I'm a fan of Cleverley but we're really stretching the truth to make out that he's had anything more than an "ok" season for Wigan. It's so typical of the caf to jump onto a poster's back just because he's trying to calm expectations.
I guess that depends on your definition of "ok". When you look at how previous PL loans have gone for talented young players like Guiseppi Rossi, I would say that Cleverley establishing himself as a regular starter is actually a good outcome.

Here's what Martinez said about him in November:

“He’s only 21, but you look at his performances against Liverpool and West Brom recently and you can see the huge, huge potential. His tactical awareness is not normal for such a young man. I don’t think we have seen many cases like him before."
Didn't help that he had a long-term injury mid-season but I would say his loan has been a success overall (i.e. better than "ok")

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I guess that depends on your definition of "ok". When you look at how previous PL loans have gone for talented young players like Guiseppi Rossi, I would say that Cleverley establishing himself as a regular starter is actually a good outcome.
Agreed. He played regularly. That, I reckon, is the goal of loaning a player out.

Now he's got nearly an entire season of PL experience under his belt in a no-pressure situation. That's very important.

Decotron

Unfair to compare him to Wilshere who's in a different league currently. Wigans midfield has been changed so often this season it been difficult for any of them to really establish themselves in one position. Ive always had him as more of central midfielder than a winger. He's a very intelligent player as his name sort of suggests!

I'm always right

I guess that depends on your definition of "ok". When you look at how previous PL loans have gone for talented young players like Guiseppi Rossi, I would say that Cleverley establishing himself as a regular starter is actually a good outcome
Yeah I'd agree with that, personally I rated Cleverley so high that I expected more.

He's certainly had a better loan move than Robbie Keane :)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
granted I have not seen Wigan that often. But whenever I have seen Cleverly, he ozzes class.

He will end up in Central midfield for sure imo.

His passing and attacking instincts bodes very well for us.

comparisons to Wilshire are not unwarranted.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wonder what Bolton fans' opinion of Wilshere was a year ago? Personally, I thought he did well on loan there, but no better or worse than Cleverley at Wigan. I was surprised by Wilshere's mature performances in 2010/11, put it that way.
It is also a huge difference what players you have around. At Arsenal, it is quiet different to Bolton, same goes for Cleverley and United. He might make a huge step forward once in the United set up. Here's hoping (same goes for Welbeck)

SATA

The way he plays and style looks abit like Jenas to me, the lad at Spurs. Good passer, capable of a goal here and there but not physically imposing enough to take a game by storm

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does he definitely play in the middle of the pitch then? I've always seen him as a more skilfull version of Park, plays kind of on the wings, good with both feet.

Robbie Boy

He has had a good loan spell at Wigan, he obviously wasn't going to hit the heights he did at Watford last season but all things considered it was a productive spell with some really good individual performances.

He will be a handy squad player to have as he can play in the centre or out wide. I always thought he was going to be a central player though, seems to have played the majority of his games on the wing at Wigan, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.