Toni Kroos | Retiring after Euro 2024

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Brilliant player. Always like to see a player of his quality play in the PL for a bit though.

Why was it Bayern sold him all those years ago?
Disagreed about his wages. He wanted to become one of their highest paid players, they did offer less.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Do you think he'll go into management?

Midfielders seem to make the best managers
Somehow I don't see it. He just doesn't give the vibe that he does want to be involved in daily football business. Think he'll enjoy retirement and possibly just do a bit of punditry (he already produces a regular podcast about football stuff together with his brother, it's quite well done).

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Somehow I don't see it. He just doesn't give the vibe that he does want to be involved in daily football business. Think he'll enjoy retirement and possibly just do a bit of punditry (he already produces a regular podcast about football stuff together with his brother, it's quite well done).
Oh so you go around judging people by how they look?

Disgusting

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I like the podcast a lot, but now Toni retires, not sure it will continue for long.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should send Luis Van Gaal a gift. Probably saved his career from being mediocre.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
5 CL's (likely 6 by the end of the season)
3 Bundesliga's
4 La Liga's
1 WC

What a career.

tomaldinho1

I think he's someone people will appreciate more in a few years. He's always discounted when talking about top midfielders but there are very few better, I remember a few years ago Real fans played guess the heat map on reddit and his was basically the whole pitch. People think of his as a passer only but he covers a huge amount of ground and i would say his only real 'weakness' was not being that fast.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He will be retiring after an amazing season, no matter if he wins the CL or not, and after an extraordinary career. An absolute legend of the game.

I feel we'll be in trouble in the future as this guy is irreplaceable :( Hope I get this wrong, but I really don't think so.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Will be very hard to replace, one of the all-time greats, not a bad decision to retire at the top though, even though wish he was here one more year

Wonder how we will set up next season, don't think anyone we have in the midfield can quite do what he does.

RoyH1

Will be very hard to replace, one of the all-time greats, not a bad decision to retire at the top though, even though wish he was here one more year

Wonder how we will set up next season, don't think anyone we have in the midfield can quite do what he does.
Nor is there anyone that plays the way Kroos does. You cannot do a one on one change. You're just going to have to set up differently.

I suppose that with Mbappé coming you'll go more to a classic 4-3-3 with Valverde, Bellingham and Camavinga/Tchouameni? With Modric doing the last 15/20 minutes here and there?

GlasgowCeltic

Nor is there anyone that plays the way Kroos does. You cannot do a one on one change. You're just going to have to set up differently.

I suppose that with Mbappé coming you'll go more to a classic 4-3-3 with Valverde, Bellingham and Camavinga/Tchouameni? With Modric doing the last 15/20 minutes here and there?
Without Kroos it looks even more of a team reliant on moments/transitions, especially if Bellingham moves back to CM

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Next to Lahm, he was the best German outfield player I’ve seen. Legend.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Sounds like a midfield that will struggle against deep-sitting teams, but yeah, the set up will have to be different, hope it works out.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Where does he end up in the pantheon of all-time Real Madrid legends? Top ten?

fps

:nervous:
Yep, I’m no football genius. That was a load of shit.
Haha fair play! I wonder how many of our current players are similarly just not in the right set-up/ not properly settled right now, but could be brilliant....

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I know. In hindsight, I was wrong about them not being able to play together but he was struggling at the time.
Unless my memory is failing me, he was doing fine and it was clear Modric/Kroos was an upgrade on the Alonso-Khedira duo. Starter right away playing from that deep midfield role. His first season 14/15 we were on a high with him playing that role but then at the end the team kinda collapsed partly due to injuries.

Doesn’t matter anyway. Absolute legend and we’ll miss him dearly. Won’t be able to replace him 1:1, but we didn’t do that with Modric either and he’s been mainly on the bench this season.

Still hurts :(

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Man, now I actually have to root for the German NT in the Euros because it would just feel plain wrong having Kroos end his career on crashing out in the group phase or RO16 and getting crapped on in the media along with the rest of the team, as was my expectation for them until now. That would be an undeserving finish to such a career as his.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Where does he end up in the pantheon of all-time Real Madrid legends? Top ten?
Top ten with certain ease imo.

Di Stefano, Ronaldo are first and second respectively.

Gento, Puskas, Modric, Ramos, Kroos, Benzema, Raul and Roberto Carlos also belong to my top ten, but in no particular order.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sad day for football. Among all the great German midfielders since 2000, he stands out to me. I believe he deserves to be mentioned alongside the absolute best of his generation like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric and Pirlo.

From a German perspective, the saying "you never know what you've got till it's gone" applies to his career pretty well. Bayern underrated him completely so he found his luck in Madrid. He was scapegoated for the bad results of Germany and called "sideway-pass Toni" by German media, fans and pundits alike but after he retired from the national team, the performances detoriated even further. Until he finally returned under much applause. If he wins his sixth UCL with Madrid, making him the lone record holder, and manages to win an EC in Germany, he could even finish his outstanding career with a Ballon d'Or.

Todd

Great footballer, great person, great haircut.

Does surprise me a bit he's walking away right now, but maybe there's something to be said about knowing to quit while you're ahead rather than pull a Ronaldo.

RoyH1

Does surprise me a bit he's walking away right now, but maybe there's something to be said about knowing to quit while you're ahead rather than pull a Ronaldo.
Let's not get carried away, shall we? :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Sad day for football. Among all the great German midfielders since 2000, he stands out to me. I believe he deserves to be mentioned alongside the absolute best of his generation like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric and Pirlo.

From a German perspective, the saying "you never know what you've got till it's gone" applies to his career pretty well. Bayern underrated him completely so he found his luck in Madrid. He was scapegoated for the bad results of Germany and called "sideway-pass Toni" by German media, fans and pundits alike but after he retired from the national team, the performances detoriated even further. Until he finally returned under much applause. If he wins his sixth UCL with Madrid, making him the lone record holder, and manages to win an EC in Germany, he could even finish his outstanding career with a Ballon d'Or.
Just for the record, he would share it with four more people, which is still extraordinary.

Last edited:

JogaBonitoRooney

Retiring too early. Should go make bank somewhere else. Maybe America since he's hated in Saudi.

Is planning to coach? Not sure why else to retire early.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Retiring too early. Should go make bank somewhere else. Maybe America since he's hated in Saudi.

Is planning to coach? Not sure why else to retire early.
He often said he wants to retire while still at his best, he doesn't want to grind out more years with an increasingly broken down body and a slowly fading role in the team. He isn't like Modric in that regard who offers flashes of class in short minutes, Toni Kroos either is the beating heart of a team or he isn't part of it. When he feels that he can't fulfill that role any longer it's time for him to go (btw I am very sure that this is also the reason why he left the national team and now returned - now he's got assurances that the team will be built around him).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's hyperspecialized. He's fantastic at what he does well, one of the best ever, but brings literally nothing else and is an actual liability defensively. What this means is that you have to build the team around him, play at his pace, and surround him with players who can both complement his strenghts and make up for the weaknesses....and it's not easy to do that, i don't think, and you have to wonder whether he's worth it when you could get somebody who brings ~ 80% of what he does without conditioning team building and team play as much....
What a dumb fecking post. What a fecking idiot. Change sport. To begin with 80% of Kroos means you're talking about one of the top 10-15 midfielders of all time.

And YES. OF FECKING COURSE HE'S WORTH IT. DID YOU MISS THE 4 CL - COULD BE 5 IN 2 WEEKS????

You should never be allowed to talk football again. Moron
1. Gündogan
2. Kroos
3. Schweinsteiger
4. Kimmich
5. Ballack
!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This...this is right. This is the correct opinion. Well, Gundogan and Kroos should be more like 1A 1B, but still, close enough

al.gabiru

For me, Modric and Kroos were a better duo than Xavi and Iniesta. Especially in terms of defensive contribution and versatility to adapt to different schemes.

Xavi and Iniesta's advantage was that they played together at Spain NT and they were better for that style of possession.

If I had to choose a duo, it would be Modric and Kroos.

It's a good discussion.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I get dizzy, I need a chair. I didn't expect it. A list of signings to put in my vein please