Toni Kroos

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
He didn't, he wanted to keep him. It was a mix of Kroos wanting to leave/demanding very high wages which the board at Bayern never were willing to give him. Kroos was never loved at Bayern nor did he really love the club. It was a very odd relationship and many Bayern fans claim we wouldn't have won the CL in 12/13 if Kroos didn't get injured, which forced Heynckes to start Robben and play Ribery, Müller, Robben behind Mandzukic. I disagree with that strongly but I'm definitely in the minority with that opinion.
I see, nice info. Surprising or perhaps presumptuous on my part that a German midfielder would want to stay at Bayern under Pep. So money and not loving the club, not Bavarian then? I thought he looked a good fit for you guys whenever I saw him

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I see, nice info. Surprising or perhaps presumptuous on my part that a German midfielder would want to stay at Bayern under Pep. So money and not loving the club, not Bavarian then? I thought he looked a good fit for you guys whenever I saw him
No, he's from Greifswald, which is at the Baltic sea right at the border to Poland, so really far far away from Bavaria. He moved to Munich as a 16 year old.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Every time I watch him I sit there wondering what he actually does.
Yeah, use him like we used Scholes in 06/07, 07/08 next to someone holding, like Carrick, and he's amazing IMO. Can spray those passes, dictate the game and he has a very good long range shot on him. Probably closest player out there to "that Scholes of 06/07" currently playing.

Problem for him at Madrid is, he's predominantly used as a Alonso type holding player next to Modric. He's too slow and not defensively strong enough for that position. No surprise Benitez started using Casemiro in midfield, but the fans/president all want a more attacking style - which culminated in the Barca shambles.

This is all IMO of course. But yeah, hes definitely been a tad underwhelming recently. Started his Madrid career well though.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hopefully he'll develop some sort of Ibrahimovic mentality and be transfered soon again. I'd wish United or another club with enough money to splash will go after him.:drool:
My club needs money and a Kroos transfer is the easiest way to get some extra income.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
A remarkable interview with Toni Kroos. He is very blunt in saying that Klingsmann had nothing to do with Germany winning the World Cup and Pep being the best manager he had. He also says that van Gaal's ideas (I guess in terms of plan) make him a top coach but the team is not necessarily able to implement that idea.
Whoever understands german, it's worth a read.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If no team can properly implement your idea, then you're not a top coach. That's for another thread though.

hubbuh

Agree. A coach who is able to devise a plan/tactic based off of the abilities and strengths of his players would be a top coach.
Yeah. With that in mind, would someone like Pep be the best choice given how our squad looks at the moment? Sure he could bring in who he wants, but he is someone with very particular ideals and it'd take a while for this team to adapt in my opinion.

Undoubtedly still my first choice to replace van Gaal at the earliest opportunity though (sorry Louie).

izec

That part about Louis is correct. He implements his idea in every team, if it suits them or not. Plus he wont change his style/philosophy, no matter what. Either it works and we will be succesful, or it all goes to shit.

Woodzy

I'd like to point out that I also have an idea for a style of football philosophy that will surely bring major trophies to whichever club is willing to take me on. Can't guarantee that the team will be able to implement the idea however, but they can't afford to take that risk.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Wow that is a great interview, especially considering that it's quite short.
Straight to the point, not trying to dodge questions and brilliant comments regarding Klinsmann :lol:
If anyone has time to translate it in English, its really well worth the read.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Great interview. I quite like Kroos. Keeps it simple, direct and to the point. Both on and off the pitch, it seems.

Doesn't seem to have a high opinion of Klinsmann as a coach but, then again, who does?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I can't be arsed to translate everything. Quite a lot of it is about him as a person and not about football, anyway. Here's what might interest you though:

On what makes a great manager:
First of all, he should have a clear idea of how to play football. A game plan/idea. Secondly, he must be able to manage the different characters in a team, so that they could implement his idea of football but also maintain a good atmosphere in the team. And thirdly - he must have success.

If I had to decide between a game plan/idea and motivation - I'd drop the latter.

A world class manager must be able to read the game in such a way, that allows him and his team to react to different situations throughout the match.

On Heynckes:
My most important coach. Many had seen that I was talented. However, he was the first one to have the courage to give me regular playing time and to forgive me one or two bad games.

On LVG:
When it comes to the game plan / idea, he's an absolutely top coach. Whether this philosophy has always suited the team, I'd leave that open. But he has a concrete concept, vision and he definitely sticks by it.

On Löw:
For him, as a national coach, applies the same as it did for Heynckes, as a club coach: I always knew where I stood in his eyes (I knew what his opinion of me was). This is not the only reason why I appreciate him so much - he is also unbelievably knowledgeable when it comes to football.

On Pep:
When it comes to playing ideas, game plan, playing solutions and how to play against and beat a specific opponent - Pep was the best coach that I had.

On Ancelotti:
He could best mix the requirements for success - the tactical idea and the human relations - something that is not so simple in Real Madrid. When he left, everyone was sad. Even those who hadn't played much and had a reason to criticize him. I can't think of anything negative to say about him. This is remarkable.

Adisa

I have never heard anyone say a bad word about Ancelotti. For someone that has been managing for so long, that is quite an achievement.

Adisa

But he doesn't say that no team can properly implement it, does he? He says that if the team can't properly implement it, it doesn't work.
Then I read his comments wrong. What I though he was saying is that LVG has great ideas, which make him a top coach but his ideas are difficult to implement.

Sir A1ex

Then I read his comments wrong. What I though he was saying is that LVG has great ideas, which make him a top coach but his ideas are difficult to implement.
They may be difficult to implement, but that doesn't make them wrong / bad. It's all down to whether he can make a team overcome that difficulty... a question which as far as I can see Kroos leaves open.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He actually says (implies, rather) that he has great ideas and vision and he sticks by them, no matter what. They are, however, not always suitable for the team (doesn't say it exactly, but his words suggest it).

Adisa

Him and Sanches would be a good summer for our midfield.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I personally feel Madrid underutilise Kroos.

Adisa

I personally feel Madrid underutilise Kroos.
For most of his time there he's been used as a DM, with most of the defensive responsibility. All because James or Isco had to play.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For most of his time there he's been used as a DM, with most of the defensive responsibility. All because James or Isco had to play.
Agree, and I feel we've forgotten how good he can be further forward. But it's almost too late now, anyone buying him is buying him for a deeper role.

Kag

In the words of Fergie, not a "top, top player."

Kroos is a bloody good one, but I wouldn't go out my way to bring him here.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Do you think Mourinho would be buying him as a #10? Heck, even van Gaal wouldn't.
I suppose i interpreted it as DM which is probably not correct. I'd have him as one of the CM's in a 4-3-3 with license to support attacks, utilizing his passing range and long shot ability. Never #10.

m1y2

He's certainly a good passer but his absolute lack of mobility and stamina makes him ineffective in more and more games these days, even MOdric works harder than him and would look much better next to someone who can actually run and put in a tackle, certainly would prefer someone like Sanches over Kroos

Adisa

The thing is we need a passer. Someone that can dictate a game from deep, a tempo player. I don't think there are any better than him on the market.