Gaming Top 100 games of all time ranked by GQ

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Here's the link to the site: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/best-video-games-all-time

I’m not going to list all 100 games here, but here are the top 20. Needless to say, the list has caused a bit of controversy as all these lists do.

20. Elden Ring (2022)
19. Doom (1993)
18. Super Mario 64 (1996)
17. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
16. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
15. Red Dead Redemption II (2018)
14. Super Mario World (1990)
13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
12. Disco Elysium (2019)
11. Resident Evil 4 (2005)
10. Half-Life 2 (2004)
9. Dark Souls (2011)
8. Portal 2 (2011)
7. Metal Gear Solid (1998)
6. Mass Effect 2
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)
4. Bloodborne (2015)
3. Tetris (1985)
2. The Last of Us (2013)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
All the usual suspects really, except for Disco Elysium, which is deserving of a spot that high. Great game.

Abizzz

Next we'll have top 100 greenkeepers brought to you by momsnet.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
No GTA in that top 20 is criminal.
Shit yeah, I didn't notice that. Crazy considering how hyped those games are. Just looked now, and the highest a GTA game got was 48! And that was GTA V

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Clicked on this thinking it was the top 100 greatest football matches ever.

Ainu

Yup, it's definitely a list with games on it. Mostly great games, so whatever order works for me. I have to say though, Bioshock Infinite has absolutely no business being in the top 100 best games ever.

There is also a surprising lack of classic Western RPGs on that list. No Planescape Torment and neither of the Baldur's Gate games getting into a top 100 is almost insane. A grand total of one RTS game as well. For a list assembled by 300 people from across the games industry, these genres feel seriously under-represented.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think Bloodborne and Elden Ring definitely deserve their place that high. Bloodborne for sure
I don't. Not top 20 of all time. Dark Souls warrants its place as it was a new concept and did it very well in 2.

But neither Bloodborne or Elden Ring brought anything new to the genre. Just better graphics and slightly more polished gameplay.

Moby

Dick
Yup, it's definitely a list with games on it. Mostly great games, so whatever order works for me. I have to say though, Bioshock Infinite has absolutely no business being in the top 100 best games ever.

There is also a surprising lack of classic Western RPGs on that list. Planescape Torment and neither of the Baldur's Gate games getting into a top 100 is almost insane. A grand total of one RTS game as well. For a list assembled by 300 people from across the games industry, these genres feel seriously under-represented.
Hollow Knight made it around the half way mark which is cool.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't. Not top 20 of all time. Dark Souls warrants its place as it was a new concept and did it very well in 2.

But neither Bloodborne or Elden Ring brought anything new to the genre. Just better graphics and slightly more polished gameplay.
Wow, I completely disagree with everything you say there, but whatever! That's the trouble with these lists. Nobody is ever going to agree.

AaronRedDevil

It's not a half bad list. There's no game on there where I'm like "really?" Which is a first for me. Except maybe Tetris. I get it but eh. No other MGS game is criminal though. 3 was a through masterpiece even though I like 4 more.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

There is also a surprising lack of classic Western RPGs on that list. Planescape Torment and neither of the Baldur's Gate games getting into a top 100 is almost insane. A grand total of one RTS game as well. For a list assembled by 300 people from across the games industry, these genres feel seriously under-represented.
Bioshock Infinite's story is amazing though. Played it recently again and although the gameplay near the end gets a little repetitive, the world building, story, characters and voice acting is excellent. I had a lot of fun replaying it.

Agree with the lack of Baldurs Gate 2, that should always be in a top 100 list.

Ainu

Bioshock Infinite's story is amazing though. Played it recently again and although the gameplay near the end gets a little repetitive, the world building, story, characters and voice acting is excellent. I had a lot of fun replaying it.

Agree with the lack of Baldurs Gate 2, that should always be in a top 100 list.
I thought Bioshock Infinite's world was incredible boring. All style, zero substance. Especially compared to the excellence that was Rapture, both the world and the enemies were completely characterless. Same for it's gameplay systems. I'll admit I probably hate it more than the average person. :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The way you approach Dark Souls and Bloodborne is night and day. Forget other things, just the rally in BB itself made it an entirely new game.
Wow, you think rally makes it an entirely new game? Jesus. Clearly a fan of genre, BB I found extremely tedious. Didn't bother finishing it.

Elden Ring was more enjoyable, but I don't think it lived up to the hype. I found Hades a much more enjoyable game. But give it 3/4 years and I wouldn't even think of them in Top 50.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I thought Bioshock Infinite's world was incredible boring. All style, zero substance. Especially compared to the excellence that was Rapture, both the world and the enemies were completely characterless. Same for it's gameplay systems. I'll admit I probably hate it more than the average person. :lol:
I played Infinite before I played Two, so that might be why I preferred it. I didn't have the excitement leading up to the game. I had no problems with the gameplay, thought it was fun and at least they didn't have any of those damn hacking puzzles.

Moby

Dick
Wow, you think rally makes it an entirely new game
Not just what I think. They literally took elements of Dark Souls and divided them into Bloodborne and Sekiro while doubling down by adding mechanics to aid those playstyles further. You went from blocking and playing hitless to not even having a shield and extreme hack and slash. I mean you will genuinely lose in seconds if you try playing Dark Souls like Bloodborne.

miked99

I'm raging at the cruel and just plain wrong omission of Superman 64 :mad:

Nickosaur

Really enjoyed my time with Witcher III but not sure I consider it one of the all time greatest gaming experiences.

Zen

Heavy 2023 influence in the top part of that list... a film, a tv show, a direct sequel and a remake.

But I find it mad how Ocarina is dropping now, purely due to the fact people don't want to vote for 2 Zelda games in their top 2-5, despite the fact they previously had it above the other games in their voting.. this kind of ranking/voting seems strangely exclusive to gaming.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Video game criticism is so odd. It’s like a mix of Amazon product reviews and art criticism. How can anyone decide the difference in artistic quality between Tetris and The Last Of Us.

Bebe

Just had a quick scroll through the list and honestly, there's not much I would blatantly disagree with which is a surprise given how shite lists like this usually are.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Here's the link to the site: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/best-video-games-all-time

I’m not going to list all 100 games here, but here are the top 20. Needless to say, the list has caused a bit of controversy as all these lists do.

20. Elden Ring (2022)
19. Doom (1993)
18. Super Mario 64 (1996)
17. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
16. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
15. Red Dead Redemption II (2018)
14. Super Mario World (1990)
13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
12. Disco Elysium (2019)
11. Resident Evil 4 (2005)
10. Half-Life 2 (2004)
9. Dark Souls (2011)
8. Portal 2 (2011)
7. Metal Gear Solid (1998)
6. Mass Effect 2
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)
4. Bloodborne (2015)
3. Tetris (1985)
2. The Last of Us (2013)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Mass effect 2 at number 6?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
GTA San Andreas has to be on that list. I’d also say Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as well.

Scottynaldinho

The last of us as just a "game" is pretty shit. Although the impact it has made on the popular culture with it's storyline has earned it a spot in the list.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
The last of us as just a "game" is pretty shit. Although the impact it has made on the popular culture with it's storyline has earned it a spot in the list.
I thought it was a brilliant game and story.