Gaming Top 100 games of all time ranked by GQ

hobbers

GTA5 shouldnt be anywhere near the top 20. Or top 50. Vice City should be though, obviously.

Also MGS2 was the best MG game, no question.

Chairman Steve

Strange to find no StarCraft, Quake or Diablo 2 on that list anywhere. Three games that were the most popular when online gaming became a thing.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
League of Legends deserves to be on it, just for putting food on my table :)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Any list that doesn't have at least one Sid Meier title in the top 20 isn't worthy of being taken seriously

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The last of us as just a "game" is pretty shit. Although the impact it has made on the popular culture with it's storyline has earned it a spot in the list.
Terrible shout.

Everyone has opinions but you can obviously see when a form of art is good even if it's not for you. I personally can't stomach Skyrim, fall out, elder scrolls etc but I recognise and accept they're fantastic games that I personally don't enjoy. They're games that should certainly be on the list.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Out of that lot, Witcher 3 would be my no 1. But more importantly where the feck is Deus Ex? Renders the list disqualified

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sims, Animal Crossing and Candy Crush should all make it.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The last of us as just a "game" is pretty shit. Although the impact it has made on the popular culture with it's storyline has earned it a spot in the list.
I agree. Story, atmosphere and graphics are all top notch, but gameplay is just "okay", it has nothing many other games havent done better.

But on the other side im happy to see Disco Elysium in there that has even less spectacular gameplay.

Tetris and Maas Effect so high seem a bit odd.
I would also definitely have Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 above Mario 64 and Super Mario World.
You could argue that those games were even more groundbreaking in their time but with that logic Ocarina of Time should be ahead of BOTW.

Im also missing GTA Vice City or San Andreas and Super Metroid or Metroid Prime 1.

And lastly I would have Shenmue 1/2 somewhere in there, but I know that im in the minority here.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Shit list. SFII not even in the top 20 - in fact not a single fighter in the top 20 renders the whole thing redundant.

PSV

Tony Hawk is done dirty. I would probably put at least 3 of the games in (2/3/4). 2nd one has a case for top 10.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Shit list. SFII not even in the top 20 - in fact not a single fighter in the top 20 renders the whole thing redundant.
Strategy (Age of Empires or Civilization), racing (Forza or Gran Turismo) and sports (Tony Hawk 2) are also missing.

The list is almost 90% RPGs or Action Adventures.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Hollow Knight not top 50
Street Fighter not top 20

feck GQ and their stupid list.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
TLOU is a good game and the tv show has elevated it's status but I wouldn't even have it top 10.

Herman Toothrot

GTA San Andreas has to be on that list. I’d also say Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as well.
As @Sweet Square pointed out, how can you compare these things? For me, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the best platformer of all time, but if you sat down ten people with no nostalgic connection to either game and asked them to play Sonic 2 or Mario 64, they'd almost certainly say Mario 64 is better because it is so much more advanced.

It's the same with GTA, I sunk years into San Andreas, I loved it, but after playing GTA5 for ten years, it's hard to go back. It is really small and basic, it just didn't feel that way at the time. Same with Goldeneye, was great at the time and nice for a console to finally have a playable FPS, but its mechanics in 2023 are just dismal.

I have to disagree. The Last of Us is an incredible game. It's not just about gameplay, it's the experience and this is up there with Red Dead Redemption 2 (another game with, arguably, quite dated gameplay mechanics) as the very best. I'd also include Part II which might be, don't hit me, even better. Another example is Hellblade, very simple mechanics, but what a sense of dread and wonder.

You can argue all day about these things, but there's no definitive answer, a lot will depend on your circumstances and where you ended up spending the most time. I sunk days into the original GTA on PC, Syndicate and Championship Manager on the Amiga, Batman on the Spectrum and Super Monico GP 2 on the Megadrive but they'd be such personal picks.

The omission of any Monkey Island, Far Cry or Sonic game, Alien Isolation and Duke Nukem 3D seems kind of ridiculous to me, but it's subjective.

Herman Toothrot

Breath of the wild taking #1 spot? Piss off
Hardcore Nintendo fans find it hard to really look beyond Nintendo. I like there games, but it feels like a **** at times for kids who never got a chance to play on PC. Being a fanboi of a brand is the worst type of fanboi.

SuperiorXI

Hardcore Nintendo fans find it hard to really look beyond Nintendo. I like there games, but it feels like a **** at times for kids who never got a chance to play on PC. Being a fanboi of a brand is the worst type of fanboi.
I appreciate the game but no way is it the best ever. Personally I found it a bit bland. I got bored after a few hours.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
GTA San Andreas has to be on that list. I’d also say Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as well.
Sonic definitely should be on there. That game was huge. It's crazy that the highest a GTA game got on that list is 48, when you consider how impactful, influential and hyped those games are.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Witcher 3 should be 1st and botw lower down the list. I know old games creep into this list but Tetris really isnt anything special at all anymore.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
As @Sweet Square pointed out, how can you compare these things? For me, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the best platformer of all time, but if you sat down ten people with no nostalgic connection to either game and asked them to play Sonic 2 or Mario 64, they'd almost certainly say Mario 64 is better because it is so much more advanced.
I don't think this is necessarily true.

I don't have nostalgic connection at all to the original StarCraft or Street Fighter (N64 was my first console) and I'd much rather play those games than many of the modern "great" titles in the genre.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Too high or too low? I don't like Mass Effect, so I wouldn't have it in the top 100 personally. But i can see why it's there.
I loved the original trilogy but the 2nd is most certainly not the 6th best game ever made.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
TLOU is a good game and the tv show has elevated it's status but I wouldn't even have it top 10.
TLOU was an excellent game but it’s never in my top 10/20s list due to the basic gameplay. I personally rate part II higher as it’s combat is bloody brilliant.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I loved the original trilogy but the 2nd is most certainly not the 6th best game ever made.
Yeah, I bloody love Mass Effect - probably my favourite gaming trilogy ever...

But Mass Effect 2 definitely isn't the 6th greatest game ever made.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
TLOU was an excellent game but it’s never in my top 10/20s list due to the basic gameplay. I personally rate part II higher as it’s combat is bloody brilliant.
Agreed. Part 2 is the better game. Both story and gameplay are superior

Sara125

Pokémon gold and silver is on there (the full list) but not the remakes??? The same remakes that are widely considered the best Pokémon games in the entire franchise???

Sara125

On another note, I found mass effect 2 very meh back when I had it on my 360.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The fact that there's not one sports game on the list is absurd. You can criticize what sports games are now, but there's no doubt there were some absolute bangers back in the day. Genuinely excellent games.

Revan

Assumptionman
I will die claiming that Mass Effect is better than Mass Effect 2.

Herman Toothrot

Agreed. Part 2 is the better game. Both story and gameplay are superior
I've about three hours left and I'm sure there's a thread for it where I can talk spoiler-free when I've finished, but wow did they make some big choices?! At first, I didn't even want to carry on as the second POV player, but it wins you over. Anyway, no spoilers here and especially not until I've finished it.

I only played the Part I remake, which I think is in the Part II engine, did they update the combat for the remake? Feels similar to Part II. I've oddly gone from a gorgeous PC version of the first one to a PS4 copy of Part II which doesn't look as good and the frame rate took some getting used to.

I didn't play the first one until the PC game came out at the end of March, finished that, watched the TV series then bought a second-hand PS4 to finish part II. It's been a very infected-heavy month and a half.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I've about three hours left and I'm sure there's a thread for it where I can talk spoiler-free when I've finished, but wow did they make some big choices?! At first, I didn't even want to carry on as the second POV player, but it wins you over. Anyway, no spoilers here and especially not until I've finished it.

I only played the Part I remake, which I think is in the Part II engine, did they update the combat for the remake? Feels similar to Part II. I've oddly gone from a gorgeous PC version of the first one to a PS4 copy of Part II which doesn't look as good and the frame rate took some getting used to.

I didn't play the first one until the PC game came out at the end of March, finished that, watched the TV series then bought a second-hand PS4 to finish part II. It's been a very infected-heavy month and a half.
Yeah, I won't say much here as you haven't completed it and it's not the thread for it, but yes, they go places and I love it. The game is way more bold and ambitious than the first one, and for that, I like it way more.

They did update the combat for the remake somewhat, but not to the degree that you see in Part 2

Herman Toothrot

Yeah, I won't say much here as you haven't completed it and it's not the thread for it, but yes, they go places and I love it. The game is way more bold and ambitious than the first one, and for that, I like it way more.

They did update the combat for the remake somewhat, but not to the degree that you see in Part 2
I'll report back over the weekend!

I've not noticed much of a change in the combat, I shall maybe go back and revisit. I tend to keep to stealth, the strangling is still strangling! I think Resident Evil 2 made me so conscious of resource management that it has forever changed my play style, I never used the flamethrower in the first one in case I needed it later!