Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

freeurmind

weak willed
West Ham have been dogs**** most of this season. Win that game by 3 or 4 and we effectively kill this thing off.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A narrow 1 goal win vs Westham leaves us very vulnerable. Any defeat to Leiester would then see us out unless Chelsea implode.

Need to be aiming for a 3 goal winning margin midweek and that means even if we lose 2-1 or 3-2 at Leicester we are still fine.
1 goal win and a draw against West Ham are basically the same in the context of outcome needed from our game against Leicester.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
1 goal win and a draw against West Ham are basically the same in the context of outcome needed from our game against Leicester.
True but winning away at Leicester on paper is tougher game. Might not work that way in reality we shall see. Rather win comfortably this midweek and not have to stress.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A three-goal win means we can lose to Leicester by one goal, a five-goal win means we can lose to Leicester by two.
I don't think that's right, were on level GD at the mo however Leicester have scored more.

If we score 3 we go to plus 31, and they'd be on plus 28.

So if they beat us 1-0 it would be 30, 29 to us.

My head hurts now.

Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read.

Last edited:

Doracle

I don't think that's right, were on level GD at the mo however Leicester have scored more.

My head hurts now.
You just repeated exactly what he said, whilst purporting to disagree with him .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

My head hurts now.
No you added 2 to them and subtracted 2 from us. Any goal is a 2 goal swing on GD, which means we need to win by an odd number vs West Ham, number being more than double what Leicester beat us by. So 3-0 means we can lose 1-0, 5-0 means 2-0 is fine, 7-0 means 3-0.

There's hope for the win by 3 situation. That's it though imo.

MadMike

I'd take any win against WHU and would prefer a good performance too, but don't care about the score. Feeling very nervous about how we're stumbling over the line, fatigue is evident and performances have declined.

We need to go in the final game with a bit confidence. If we lose against WHU we're going to Leicester on the back of 2 defeats (1 win in 4) looking for a win. They're shit too, but they'll be getting their tails up and feeling hopeful. Even a draw would be demorilising for a team that has too often failed to capitalise on advantages recently and it will be playing on our minds.

If we get a 2-0 lead we should look to lower the tempo, preserve it and see the game out comfortably. WHU will be on holiday mode and won't be pressing for anything at that point. Rather that than bust a gut for a chance at taking an extra goal advantage to Leicester. Fatigue could well come into play in the final game when both teams will be desperate and throwing everything they have.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

I can see Chelsea losing to Liverpool and drawing against Wolves therefore requiring us only to beat West Ham! They put a lot of energy in to yesterday’s game whereas we seemed to be playing at 25%

Reynoldo

Some of you guys live in fantasy land picking ideal numbers out of the air. Any type of win against West Ham will do, we have no idea how that game is going to pan out so getting the win can be the only target. However yes if we are in complete control then of course we shouldn't take the foot off the gas and try to score as many as we can but for now getting the 3 points should be the only concern for the team.

theklr

I can see Chelsea losing to Liverpool and drawing against Wolves therefore requiring us only to beat West Ham! They put a lot of energy in to yesterday’s game whereas we seemed to be playing at 25%
Yeah this is the most important part of the West Ham game tbf. If Wolves win today which they should, they are in competition for a EL spot while having 2 more rest days than Chelsea after playing L'Pool (and us before that).

I'd really hope this will be the scenario after reading r/chelseafc. The amount of arrogance and shithousery against us there is staggering. Guess they are just hurt after us beating them over and over though.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Chelsea will lose to Liverpool, we'll trounce West Ham 4-0, then we'll draw our game with Leicester 1-1 and Chelsea will lose to Wolves 2-1 on the final day with Rudiger scoring a 93rd minute own goal, thus missing out on GD.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just cant see Chelsea dropping 3pts in either of their last two games.
Liverpool look like they're on Bournemouth beach for starters.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Not quite. A victory 1-0 victory over Westham will put us above Chelsea. Therefore leaving Chelsea needing a win against Liverpool or Wolves.

Berbasbullet

No you added 2 to them and subtracted 2 from us. Any goal is a 2 goal swing on GD, which means we need to win by an odd number vs West Ham, number being more than double what Leicester beat us by. So 3-0 means we can lose 1-0, 5-0 means 2-0 is fine, 7-0 means 3-0.

There's hope for the win by 3 situation. That's it though imo.
Yes that's what I said, I got myself confused though and disagreed with someone who agreed with me :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It isn't. Win against WH and then Chelsea have to beat either Pool or Wolves to go ahead of us, assuming we lose at Leicester. Two draws for them won't be enough.

Draw against WH and loss at Leicester means Chelsea only need one point from two games.

Chelsea are underdogs at Anfield. Wolves are always a pain in the arse. They're playing tonight so will have 48h extra rest compared to Chelsea who will be running empty at Anfield on Wednesday. Not to mention they're chasing EL spot. They need to finish 6th to guarantee EL. 7th doesn't guarantee it with Arse being in the cup final.

Draw and 1 goal win win against WH aren't the same. But 1 goal and 2 goal wins against them are the same.

Pav1878

Calling all numberwangers, is their any scenario where Chelsea will need us to beat Leicester ?

I would love for them to miss out on CL after yesterday

Siorac

Oh yeah I misread :lol: tbf the post he quoted of mine is exactly what i meant.
You said that if we win by 5 we have a three goal cushion which I found misleading, it seemed to imply that we can lose by three and still qualify. Just wanted to clarify that.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Calling all numberwangers, is their any scenario where Chelsea will need us to beat Leicester ?

If we beat West Ham and they lose to Liverpool and if they are losing to Wolves on the final day, yes they would need us to be beating Leicester.

Or even if they draw at Liverpool and are losing to Wolves, they'd be hoping we either win or draw.

Or if they lose to Liverpool and are drawing against Wolves, they'd be hoping Leicester are not winning.

Basically, they need a win from their last 2 games to guarantee a spot.

Siorac

Only if they lose both of their games. If they get a single point, then Leicester will have to beat us to finish ahead of Chelsea.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

If we beat West Ham and they lose their last 2, the only way they get CL is by us beating Leicester.

If we win on wednesday and they lose, they will 100% be rooting for us to win.

Berbasbullet

You said that if we win by 5 we have a three goal cushion which I found misleading, it seemed to imply that we can lose by three and still qualify. Just wanted to clarify that.
I know I worded that really badly, I've had a shocker I'll bow out in shame.

Pav1878

Thanks guys, this is getting very interesting! Just hope we can get our job done!

Sarni

It isn't. Win against WH and then Chelsea have to beat either Pool or Wolves to go ahead of us, assuming we lose at Leicester. Two draws for them won't be enough.

Draw against WH and loss at Leicester means Chelsea only need one point from two games.

Chelsea are underdogs at Anfield. Wolves are always a pain in the arse. They're playing tonight so will have 48h extra rest compared to Chelsea who will be running empty at Anfield on Wednesday. Not to mention they're chasing EL spot. They need to finish 6th to guarantee EL. 7th doesn't guarantee it with Arse being in the cup final.

Draw and 1 goal win win against WH aren't the same. But 1 goal and 2 goal wins against them are the same.
Didn't really look at it with Chelsea on mind. I'm pretty confident they are going to beat Wolves on the final day to be honest.

theklr

Didn't really look at it with Chelsea on mind. I'm pretty confident they are going to beat Wolves on the final day to be honest.
They should, but it is always nice to have another out.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
If I were Westham and Moyes, I'd be looking at the biggest scalp there is to claim after the shit season they've had. With Westhams new found form and United’s tired and prone to mistakes XI, should make for a pretty interesting game. If Westham could hold on against an early barrage I the first 30mins I could see them causing an upset.

We not getting a win against Liverpool so I'm fully on a Westham train come Wednesday. Come on game raising, shitfeckers, wankfesting feckham!

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just trash WH 4-0 or 5-0, even if we lost 2-0. We would still be in Top 4. Chelsea might not points in the last 2 games. Wolves is capable of an upset.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
A Chelsea draw or loss against Liverpool is the same outcome for us now. As long as we win against West Ham they could only overtake us with a win against Wolves and us losing to Leicester.

Get anything out of the West ham game and we need minimum of a draw, without going into the GD debate which I feel will be mute with how shattered we look.

theklr

Feck, already dreading the amount of nerves I'm gonna have for that game.

Anybody's Guess

Any win against West Ham and a draw against Leicester is enough. If we can't achieve that then it's the same as any of the other previous years - we did not deserve to be in the Champions League.

Sarni

Any win against West Ham and a draw against Leicester is enough. If we can't achieve that then it's the same as any of the other previous years - we did not deserve to be in the Champions League.
So is a draw against West Ham and a draw against Leicester. As long as we don't lose either game we'll be top 4.

zenith

It sounds so simple when you put it like that :lol:
Two draw's are what we need and that too against teams that are either wretched or injury ravaged.

This should really not be causing so much anxiety

Siorac

Two draw's are what we need and that too against teams that are either wretched or injury ravaged.

This should really not be causing so much anxiety
A draw would have been enough in 2016 against West Ham. Didn't go well.