Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

United58

We should beat West Ham, even with our shocking tiredness, but I can't see us beating Leicester :( Hope I'm wrong

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A draw would have been enough in 2016 against West Ham. Didn't go well.
At that time we didn't know draw was enough. We needed win as City were one point ahead after 36 games, they drew vs Arsenal so they were 2 points ahead having played 37th game. So when we played West Ham we needed win.

roonster09

Scout
Chelsea will draw with Liverpool and beat Wolves on the final day. We are Wolves bogey team and theyre not in the best of forms to take a win from us.
Since they came back, Wolves played Chelsea 2 times, results are 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss. Somehow Chelsea are Wolves' bogey team?

theklr

We should beat West Ham, even with our shocking tiredness, but I can't see us beating Leicester :( Hope I'm wrong
I dont understand how everyone look at Leicester as some pushover. They pressed Spurs quite good and had some decent chances.

We have seen how well we cope with high press lately.

Goku23

We need to beat West Ham 3-0 at least then a small defeat against Leicester wont matter as long as its by one goal 2-1 or 1-0 or something

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
People do make me laugh... 5-0 win against West Ham to allow us to lose 2-0 to leicester...

If we hit form enough beat West Ham 5-0... we're not losing 2-0 to Leicester 4 days later :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A draw would have been enough in 2016 against West Ham. Didn't go well.
Not comparable at all. That West Ham side was a different beast. Payet was pulling rabbits out of the hat every game. They were fighting for Europe and more importantly it was the last ever game at Upton Park, the ground was buzzing and it was pretty much their cup final. We couldn't buy a goal at the time either so I'm not sure how we managed to score twice.

This game has nothing on the line for them, they're safe, have the fourth worst defence and it will be played in an empty stadium. Apart from a couple of dodgy periods within games we've mostly been free flowing with 18 goals in the last 6.

At that time we didn't know draw was enough. We needed win as City were one point ahead after 36 games, they drew vs Arsenal so they were 2 points ahead having played 37th game. So when we played West Ham we needed win.
Draw wouldn't have been enough anyway. City would have beaten Swansea on the final day if they needed to.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People do make me laugh... 5-0 win against West Ham to allow us to lose 2-0 to leicester...

If we hit form enough beat West Ham 5-0... we're not losing 2-0 to Leicester 4 days later :lol:
I think its one of those where fluke 1-0's are always prone to happening so its nice to not be freaking out if its a tied game late on. And Leicester are a good side despite the form so you don't want to get fecked over!

roonster09

Scout
Draw wouldn't have been enough anyway. City would have beaten Swansea on the final day if they needed to.
Yeah I meant after final table, with hindsight draw was enough but at that time we didnt know that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dont understand how everyone look at Leicester as some pushover. They pressed Spurs quite good and had some decent chances.

We have seen how well we cope with high press lately.
Leicester have 3 of their back 4 out, have Maddison out, and even have their 2nd choice left back out.
They're on a woeful run.

While we shouldn't take them too lightly, they're not the Leicester of early season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Logic would suggest not, but football doesn't always work to logic.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Not comparable at all. That West Ham side was a different beast. Payet was pulling rabbits out of the hat every game. They were fighting for Europe and more importantly it was the last ever game at Upton Park, the ground was buzzing and it was pretty much their cup final. We couldn't buy a goal at the time either so I'm not sure how we managed to score twice.
Saw a star the other day. Since Payet joined West Ham no player has created more chances for them, despite him leaving 3 and a half years ago, and not even being there for long.

Samid

Better to have that safety net than not having it imo.

3 goal margin win here should be enough. Leicester will have to attack and we'll sucker punch their makeshift defence.

Siorac

Yeah I meant after final table, with hindsight draw was enough but at that time we didnt know that.
Fair enough but the point still stands: we're more than capable of fecking it up. Just like how we lost to West Ham back then, we can easily lose to Leicester this time.

roonster09

Scout
Their recent history against us is 8 wins for Chelsea, 2 wins for Wolves and 1 draw.
That's not relevant for this Wolves team. They are completely different team with lot of investment. Its like someone using middlesbrough's 8-1 result against this City and come up with middlesbrough are somehow favorites as they smashed City 8-1.

sewey89

I think its one of those where fluke 1-0's are always prone to happening so its nice to not be freaking out if its a tied game late on. And Leicester are a good side despite the form so you don't want to get fecked over!
Logic would suggest not, but football doesn't always work to logic.
Better to have that safety net than not having it imo.

3 goal margin win here should be enough. Leicester will have to attack and we'll sucker punch their makeshift defence.
Oh I know, I certainly think a big win against west ham is possible and is what we should be going for.

But my point was that there seems to be people who think we're capable of smashing west ham but the same ones aren't sure that we can get a result against an injury hit Leicester whose only wins since the restart have been against an awful Crystal Palace and an awful (on the day) Sheffield United

roonster09

Scout
Fair enough but the point still stands: we're more than capable of fecking it up. Just like how we lost to West Ham back then, we can easily lose to Leicester this time.
Yeah, I won't be surprised if we somehow feck it up too.

Samid

Their recent history against us is 8 wins for Chelsea, 2 wins for Wolves and 1 draw.
Your overall record against them is 42 wins, 27 draws, 39 losses. 17 of those wins came in 30 or so games before WW2. In modern history they have the upper hand against you.

Nickelodeon

No matter how favorable the situation is, we would remain pessimistic till the time we have it.

Lee565

A Leicester side that has been thumped by spurs and Bournemouth lately and has a ton of their first team players out injured?

Shark

@NotShark
Understandable but I view us as their bogey team due to recent history. We can tend to disagree and not make an argument out of it. I never feel threatened by Wolves, I like playing against them.
Lose to Liverpool and I'd say you''ll be going into that Wolves game bricking it and Wolves will smell blood. Important you get a result vs Pool.

rotherham_red

Can't believe I have to state the obvious, but anything that is pre Wolves' Chinese takeover is not recent.

This Wolves team is a different beast entirely to the one which was a yo-yo team and would be routinely embarrassed in it's PL seasons...

Samid

Can't believe I have to state the obvious, but anything that is pre Wolves' Chinese takeover is not recent.

This Wolves team is a different beast entirely to the one which was a yo-yo team and would be routinely embarrassed in it's PL seasons...
cnuts were game raisers even back then. They ended our unbeaten start to the season in February. Think it was right after Arsenal had bottled a four goal lead, didn't even get to enjoy that properly. That one stocky defender would be piss poor for 36 games but turn into peak Maldini when he played us.

Those were the days. Defeats were so rare that I would be depressed for days whenever we lost. These days I'm back to normal 5 mins after full time :lol:

rotherham_red

cnuts were game raisers even back then. They ended our unbeaten start to the season in February. Think it was right after Arsenal had bottled a four goal lead, didn't even get to enjoy that properly. That one stocky defender would be piss poor for 36 games but turn into peak Maldini when he played us.

Those were the days. Defeats were so rare that I would be depressed for days whenever we lost. These days I'm back to normal 5 mins after full time :lol:
:lol: Yep, I remember those days well...

cyberman

Liverpool and Wolves have the huge rest advantage going into their games v Chelsea
Its criminal how this is working out. Just another week added would have solved so much

United58

A Leicester side that has been thumped by spurs and Bournemouth lately and has a ton of their first team players out injured?
I'm hoping it's just the pessimism in me, Leicester are always very good when they play us. We've a few out and a shattered squad too

sewey89

Liverpool and Wolves have the huge rest advantage going into their games v Chelsea
Its criminal how this is working out. Just another week added would have solved so much
It really would’ve done. Or just do the FA Cup how the Europa have done it.. 3 fixture rounds over a week-10 days at the end of the season

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Aside from the West Ham game, which surely we can't lose, any of the other key fixtures this week could go either way. Leicester seem to be struggling but I'd never write off any team that has their entire season riding on one game.

It'd be fantastic to put 5 past West Ham. Obviously that's a long shot but it would effectively get us there. Additionally if Liverpool beat Chelsea - which is the most likely result - it puts massive pressure on them in the final game and Wolves are a really awkward team to play against.

Fascinating week of football ahead

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

LCFC beat Soton 9-0 and we drew with them twice this season. By that logic, we should be 20 points behind LCFC.

I'd say your logic is a lot more flawed than the one you're laughing at.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Your overall record against them is 42 wins, 27 draws, 39 losses. 17 of those wins came in 30 or so games before WW2. In modern history they have the upper hand against you.
Post you're quoting is nonsense but since they've come up we're 1-1-1 against them - 7 goals for Chelsea, 5 for Wolves. We also played them in the FA Cup in 2017 which was post-takeover and won 2-0, but including that is a stretch.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Chelsea will draw with Liverpool and beat Wolves on the final day. We are Wolves bogey team and theyre not in the best of forms to take a win from us.
Youve lost one, drawn one and won one since Wolves returned to the PL, that's 1 win in 3, how are Chelsea their bogey team?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Utd to beat West Ham
Chelsea to lose to Liverpool
Chelsea to beat Wolves
Utd to beat Leicester is what will happen IMO

Gasolin

Utd to beat West Ham
Chelsea to lose to Liverpool
Chelsea to beat Wolves
Utd to beat Leicester is what will happen IMO
I hope you don't beat Wolves though. They might have a keeper who's not lacking confidence, you know.