g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Top 4 race 2016/17

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Right, ignoring the WUM that is Treble and getting back to the original topic, something occurred to me that I'd like the input from some Spurs' supporters on. Wouldn't it actually be better for Spurs to finish fourth this season instead of third? That way Alli is suspended for the two legs of the qualifying round and one group match as opposed to the whole first half of the group stage. I say this because Spurs are still likely to get a tough draw being a lower seeded team, and will be favourites to get through any qualifying match but will need Alli much more in the group in all probability.

Granted, the downside is you make that nervy first home and away tie dicier, but they could well draw a team from Cyprus or something and waltz through anyhow. Thoughts?
I can definitely see where you're coming from but I'd still definitely rather finish 3rd. It makes such a huge difference. It means you can plan both financially and player acquisition wise knowing you're definitely in the CL for the season. For us as a club, it would be a good sign of progress to finish in the top3 again for 2 seasons in a row considering ourn league performances have historically not been much to write about. And knowing us, we'd probably end up getting knocked out in the qualifiers anyway!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I can definitely see where you're coming from but I'd still definitely rather finish 3rd. It makes such a huge difference. It means you can plan both financially and player acquisition wise knowing you're definitely in the CL for the season. For us as a club, it would be a good sign of progress to finish in the top3 again for 2 seasons in a row considering ourn league performances have historically not been much to write about. And knowing us, we'd probably end up getting knocked out in the qualifiers anyway!
Makes sense! You're absolutely right, finishing 3rd is the lower-variance option so it is probably more sensible all things considered. Looking around Europe at the moment, there are some scary potential teams that could be drawn there as well-Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, PSG, and Napoli all conceivably could have to go through that qualifying round :eek:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People convinced Arsenal in top 4 just because it's "what they do" is such a childish thought process. They aren't getting top 4 as the pressure will never be off, they look completely lost and leaderless. They don't ever look likely of beating any team they play, they're massively overrated.

Claude Makélélé

What the heck are you on about? Eva and Fearn (a male doctor) both heeded the referee's summons to go treat Hazard which went against Mourinho's wishes. They were completely in their rights as the club's medical staff. Mourinho is not a medical expert. He was angry about losing the game and took it out on them and the ref instead of Hazard (at least publicly). It's not the first time Mourinho has misbehaved so I really don't know why you're trying to defend it. It's been part of his character for all his career but if he keeps it to a minimum like he has so far at United then I couldn't care less.

On the subject of Mourinho's eventual falling out with United, it's possible but note that he left Porto and Inter of his own accord with no ill-feelings. At Chelsea the first time he was sacked for finishing 2nd after back to back championships, and at Real Madrid for dropping Casillas who was also dropped again by Ancelotti upon his arrival at the club. So it's hardly like his career has been dominated by conflicts with the dressing room.
That's the same man who said that Conte should have been hired as Jose's assistant after his failure with Italy last Euro, that 12 points below Chelsea at the moment is only a slim gap and Jose can till give United the title, and that all Chelsea this season success must thank Jose's foundation, despite of Conte's new formation and series of changes in his squad. He apparently blamed Chelsea for letting Lukaku, Bruyne go and praised Jose for giving Rashford a chance but he didn't notice that Jose was the man who let Bruyne and Lukaku left Chelsea years ago and Van Gaal - not Jose - was the man who gave Rashford a chance at Old Trafford first.

So, you should either ignore his posts or accept the fact that his love for Jose is "as deep as an ocean". I have followed Jose for 14 years, supporting his Inter, Real sides (I just can't support United because of recent domestic rivalry) after he left Chelsea but I have to admit I am not able to love him that deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akshay

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
People convinced Arsenal in top 4 just because it's "what they do" is such a childish thought process. They aren't getting top 4 as the pressure will never be off, they look completely lost and leaderless. They don't ever look likely of beating any team they play, they're massively overrated.
Wenger has never finished outside the Top 4. This season won't be different. Expect the likes of Ozil & Giroud to turn it on eventually.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I agree. I think they're in real danger of missing out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wenger has never finished outside the Top 4. This season won't be different. Expect the likes of Ozil & Giroud to turn it on eventually.
The exact thought process I'm talking about.

MadMike

I'm gonna go find out how much the bookies give it, because I got a strong feeling that they won't be in it this time and I want to put some money behind it. Spurs are looking far more clinical than last year against the small teams and have easier fixtures in the run in. Then there's us being in better form and the better team I believe. I reckon City will be in there too.

It would also be poetic if they did finish 4th, but we end up winning the EL and they miss out on CL because of that. I wouldn't mind my bet not paying off at all in that scenario :lol:

Treble_Winning

That's it, people are getting a bit happy at the "demise" of Liverpool, ignoring firstly that they're still actually above us, and secondly, just overtaking Liverpool is just bragging rights and not that valuable, we still need to overtake someone else!
Indeed, overtaking Liverpool is no big deal at all. But it would be wonderful to stick it in the faces of the unbearable scouse fans who for months tormented us and proclaimed themselves as champions elect. When I pointed out that their defence was shambolic, they claimed that it was in fact equal with ours, because at the time they had conceded only 2 goals more than us. Well I guess quality does catch up with you.

Liverpool's "demise" actually began in late December and it is no surprise at all to anyone except Liverpool fans.

Even Carragher has branded them a disgrace and rightfully so. Joke of a club, living in the past, totally deluded about their place in the footballing world today. Very soon Everton will overtake them.

tangent

Supports
chelsea
Not sure why everyone expects Chelsea to be sure top 4. As "treble winner" tells us they are about to implode (again and again).

ruskyline

I'm gonna go find out how much the bookies give it, because I got a strong feeling that they won't be in it this time and I want to put some money behind it. Spurs are looking far more clinical than last year against the small teams and have easier fixtures in the run in. Then there's us being in better form and the better team I believe. I reckon City will be in there too.

It would also be poetic if they did finish 4th, but we end up winning the EL and they miss out on CL because of that. I wouldn't mind my bet not paying off at all in that scenario :lol:
The 4th place only misses out on CL if and only if Man Utd wins the EL AND Leicester/City wins the CL.

Eire Red United

Next 5 league fixtures :

United: Bournemouth, Boro, West Brom, Everton, and Sunderland.

City: Sunderland, Stoke, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea

Spurs: Everton, Palace, Southampton, Burnley, Swansea

Arsenal: Liverpool, West Brom, Man City, West Ham, Palace

Liverpool:
Arsenal, Burnley, Man City, Everton, Bournemouth

Chelsea: West Ham, Stoke, Palace, Man City, Bournemouth

Both us and Chelsea should have a game in hand i believe....
Big big few weeks coming up for City. If they manage to win 3 or 4 of those gsmes then fair play to them, really hope we can pick up maximum points or close to it and avoid stupid draws.

MadMike

The 4th place only misses out on CL if and only if Man Utd wins the EL AND Leicester/City wins the CL.
Que? Why would Leicester winning the CL have anything to do with it? UEFA only accepts a set number entries per country for the CL. If United finish 5th and win the Europa League my understanding is the 4th team drops out. Otherwise there would be 5 EPL teams in the CL. I don't think UEFA would allow that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Big big few weeks coming up for City. If they manage to win 3 or 4 of those gsmes then fair play to them, really hope we can pick up maximum points or close to it and avoid stupid draws.
Yep. Conversely, if they drop points against Sunderland or Stoke, then they will be in deep crap.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Que? Why would Leicester winning the CL have anything to do with it? UEFA only accepts a set number entries per country for the CL. If United finish 5th and win the Europa League my understanding is the 4th team drops out. Otherwise there would be 5 EPL teams in the CL. I don't think UEFA would allow that.
That's been changed since Spurs were booted. Five teams from a single country is now allowed, Europa league winner comes in during the fourth round qualifying stage along with whoever finishes fourth in England.

Eire Red United

They are allowed a maximum of 5 teams in the champions league next year. If we win the Europa league and finish 5th then 5 teams qualify. Same if City or Leicester were to win the CL and not get top 4, the top 4 and the CL winner eould qualify. The only way anyone loses out on a place in the Champions League is if the winners of the CL and the Europa League both finish outside the top 4, say for we come 6th and win Europa and City come 5th and win the CL, then the team in 4th will miss out. It's very very unlikely to be fair.

Eire Red United

That's been changed since Spurs were booted. Five teams from a single country is now allowed, Europa league winner comes in during the fourth round qualifying stage along with whoever finishes fourth in England.
I thought the Europa League winner got straight into the group stages?

MadMike

They are allowed a maximum of 5 teams in the champions league next year. If we win the Europa league and finish 5th then 5 teams qualify. Same if City or Leicester were to win the CL and not get top 4, the top 4 and the CL winner eould qualify. The only way anyone loses out on a place in the Champions League is if the winners of the CL and the Europa League both finish outside the top 4, say for we come 6th and win Europa and City come 5th and win the CL, then the team in 4th will miss out. It's very very unlikely to be fair.
Ah shit. However funny it would be for Arsenal to finish 4th and get booted, I think City winning the CL (no way Leicester win it) would not be a good trade off.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I thought the Europa League winner got straight into the group stages?

Nope they go into the qualifying stage just before the group stages. The previous Champions League winner goes straight into the group stage.

EDIT: All of the above is technically correct but not really true in practice. The Europa league winners only go into qualifying if the previous Champions League winners fail to qualify for the Champions League via their domestic performance. Sorry for any confusion everyone, in particular @Eire Red United

Last edited:
Reactions: Akshay

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What about if they've already qualified for the group stage?
Actually, I've got this wrong. The Europa league winner DOES go straight into the group stage assuming the previous Champions League winner has qualified for the Champions League based on their league performance. Obviously this is almost always the case, my mistake for misreading the rules!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Actually, I've got this wrong. The Europa league winner DOES go straight into the group stage assuming the previous Champions League winner has qualified for the Champions League based on their league performance. Obviously this is almost always the case, my mistake for misreading the rules!
Yeah I thought that was the case as Sevilla went straight to group stage

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Arsenal and Spurs are such a waste of space in the top 4 ... really hope they lose out. What's the point of qualifying if you're going to get spanked year in year out
Reckon we are on a good roll here... March will be crucial - need to put some distance between us and the others here and reckon with our fixtures we stand a chance
How can we get spanked in the CL every year when we have qualified twice? First time with a quite impressive campaign. Feel free to critisize Spurs for their bad CL campaign, but 1 does not equal 'year in year out'.

And it's not like City, Chelsea and yourself get it right every year either. In fact, English teams have been underwhelming in Europe for some time without Spurs' help.

If someone else wants CL they should show they are good enough by finishing above us in the league.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
How can we get spanked in the CL every year when we have qualified twice? First time with a quite impressive campaign. Feel free to critisize Spurs for their bad CL campaign, but 1 does not equal 'year in year out'.

And it's not like City, Chelsea and yourself get it right every year either. In fact, English teams have been underwhelming in Europe for some time without Spurs' help.

If someone else wants CL they should show they are good enough by finishing above us in the league.
You'll shit the bed in the CL next year if you get in. You don't have Bale beating down a drunk post Mourinho Inter Milan anymore. You even got knocked out by Gent in the EL ffs. I hope the top 4 ends up as Chelsea, City, United & Liverpool. Liverpool may be wobbly atm but at least they know how to get up for Europe.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
You'll shit the bed in the CL next year if you get in. You don't have Bale beating down a drunk post Mourinho Inter Milan anymore. You even got knocked out by Gent in the EL ffs. I hope the top 4 ends up as Chelsea, City, United & Liverpool. Liverpool may be wobbly atm but at least they know how to get up for Europe.
I see, so because Spurs are Spurs they will lose? That's your argument? Can't argue with that.

Anyway, we also beat AC Milan ;)

ruskyline

I see, so because Spurs are Spurs they will lose? That's your argument? Can't argue with that.

Anyway, we also beat AC Milan ;)
Spurs don't have the winning mentality. Chelsea does, Man Utd does, but Spurs doesn't. They can't elevate them selves for the big games like the way Soton did last weekend against us. They totally didn't deserve to loose to say the least and as far as I remember, all the pundits and media were saying United will walk it. Well they didn't and that's not because United are a bad team, that's b/c Soton played their best game of the season against us.

Spurs are GREAT in England, but they're pretty bad in Europe. They beat the all mighty Pep's Man City team when everyone thought Man City already won the league after 10 games and they stopped Chelsea's winning streak. But in Europe for some weird reason they never perform. Could it be because they lack a strong squad? Idk, maybe..

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs don't have the winning mentality. Chelsea does, Man Utd does, but Spurs doesn't. They can't elevate them selves for the big games like the way Soton did last weekend against us. They totally didn't deserve to loose to say the least and as far as I remember, all the pundits and media were saying United will walk it. Well they didn't and that's not because United are a bad team, that's b/c Soton played their best game of the season against us.

Spurs are GREAT in England, but they're pretty bad in Europe. They beat the all mighty Pep's Man City team when everyone thought Man City already won the league after 10 games and they stopped Chelsea's winning streak. But in Europe for some weird reason they never perform. Could it be because they lack a strong squad? Idk, maybe..
Historically Chelsea and Manchester United have won lots of stuff, but also had a much much much stronger squad than Spurs. And yeah, winning the FA cup last year, and the League cup this year is good, compared to the level you have played at. However, I think it's unfair to level this criticism based on one bad European run with this current group of players and manager who have seen constant improvement.

If we analyse this year, we lost / drew a few games where we were the better team, and based on overall play we shouldn't have been out. But truth is, we didn't perform where it mattered, in front of goal. It should also be said that this was at the time when we had lots of injuries, and weren't playing well in the league either. Regarding Gent, we absolutely dominated them in both legs, even with 10 men, I can't believe they won on away goals, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm not trying to make excuses here; but throwing in such intangibles as 'winning mentality' based on very little evidence just seems lazy to me.

Guess time will tell :)

I remain an optimist and hope for a top 3 finish, and we're not far away from a FA cup final either. Our season can still be very good.

ruskyline

Historically Chelsea and Manchester United have won lots of stuff, but also had a much much much stronger squad than Spurs. And yeah, winning the FA cup last year, and the League cup this year is good, compared to the level you have played at. However, I think it's unfair to level this criticism based on one bad European run with this current group of players and manager who have seen constant improvement.

If we analyse this year, we lost / drew a few games where we were the better team, and based on overall play we shouldn't have been out. But truth is, we didn't perform where it mattered, in front of goal. It should also be said that this was at the time when we had lots of injuries, and weren't playing well in the league either. Regarding Gent, we absolutely dominated them in both legs, even with 10 men, I can't believe they won on away goals, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm not trying to make excuses here; but throwing in such intangibles as 'winning mentality' based on very little evidence just seems lazy to me.

I remain an optimist and hope for a top 3 finish, and we're not far away from a FA cup final either. Our season can still be very good.
Agree with everything you said :D
I personally rate Spurs more than Arsenal and Liverpool at this very moment (not historically) and I would put them on the same level as City.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Agree with everything you said :D
I personally rate Spurs more than Arsenal and Liverpool at this very moment (not historically) and I would put them on the same level as City.
:)

Finishing above Arsenal would make me happy, and with your current form this might mean that they finish 5th. And if they do I think they might find it difficult to bounce back, especially if Sanchez leaves. Gonna be an interesting run in!

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea

You don't get it. Even in the Europa League, Spurs have been toothless. It's not just about the CL. When we got knocked out of the group stages of the CL in 12/13 and got into the Europa League, we consoled ourselves by winning the damn thing. Spurs keep getting kicked out of the EL by lightweight teams. As I said, I'm not judging based off this season's CL alone. I'm judging based on the last 5 or 6 years of Spurs being in Europe. You've had just one good run.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
You don't get it. Even in the Europa League, Spurs have been toothless. It's not just about the CL. When we got knocked out of the group stages of the CL in 12/13 and got into the Europa League, we consoled ourselves by winning the damn thing. Spurs keep getting kicked out of the EL by lightweight teams. As I said, I'm not judging based off this season's CL alone. I'm judging based on the last 5 or 6 years of Spurs being in Europe. You've had just one good run.
The EL have (often wrongly in my opinion) been a competition to play reserves / weakened teams while the focus was on the league. This season was different, but generally the EL has not been a priority (last season Poch thought we could catch Leicester and played a weak team against Dortmund). Sure, European form is relevant to a degree, but what I'm saying is that this group of players and manager have been continuing to improve, it's not like City got it right straight away, or Fergie for that matter.

Mistakes were made, that does not mean that they will necessarily continue to happen. Before Pochettino we were an incredible flaky team, we lacked that grit and determination to see out results, and could suddenly concede 3 goals in 10 minutes. We went from that to a situation where we arguably have the best defense in the league. Our squad depth is also improving, last year our depth was almost non-existent, now we have players such as Son, Winks(and Lamela when fit) outside the current starting 11.

What I am saying is that Rome wasn't built overnight, and stating that Spurs (who only recently have been breaking into the top 4, with a total of 2 CL runs, and without the financial power to buy established stars) are doomed to never improve on this aspect because we are Spurs is quite frankly lazy. If we stagnate and make the same mistakes again and again, sure, then that criticism is fair, but it's just too early to draw conclusions on winning mentality or European form imo.

Last edited:

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
The EL have (often wrongly in my opinion) been a competition to play reserves / weakened teams while the focus was on the league. This season was different, but generally the EL has not been a priority (last season Poch thought we could catch Leicester and played a weak team against Dortmund). Sure, European form is relevant to a degree, but what I'm saying is that this group of players and manager have been continuing to improve, it's not like City got it right straight away, or Fergie for that matter.

Mistakes were made, that does not mean that they will necessarily continue to happen. Before Pochettino we were an incredible flaky team, we lacked that grit and determination to see out results, and could suddenly concede 3 goals in 10 minutes. We went from that to a situation where we arguably have the best defense in the league. Our squad depth is also improving, last year our depth was almost non-existent, now we have players such as Son, Winks(and Lamela when fit) outside the current starting 11.

What I am saying is that Rome wasn't built overnight, and stating that Spurs (who only recently have been breaking into the top 4, with a total of 2 CL runs, and without the financial power to buy established stars) are doomed to never improve on this aspect because we are Spurs is quite frankly lazy. If we stagnate and make the same mistakes again and again, sure, then that criticism is fair, but it's just too early to draw conclusions on winning mentality or European form imo.
Spurs have actually imploded in the Europa league last 3-4 seasons. They have always had a squad for going into the deep stages if Europa...atleast till semis. But, the team have never shown the mentality. Ponch has not improved the mentality one bit in the European games. I agree Europa league is for rotation but that does not mean you change the whole playing 11 which Ponch actually does. He treats Europa worse than Leauge cup too. Just look at Chelsea and learn how to actually win the Europa.

PS - You guys were down to 10 men due to Alli's own fault. He is like a caged animal in decisive games and has a nasty streak.

Eire Red United

Not this season though as Leicester will win the CL ;)

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
They have never failed to qualify and people have been saying that for nearly 20 years so its understandable people think like that.