Top 4 race 2016/17

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Still just can't picture Arsenal finishing outside the top 4. Battle of the Manchester clubs for that 4th spot.
City have a decent run in, and players who will do better when the sun is shining. Would expect them to finish well unless they get hit by injuries.

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
How are you working out the predicted points for these because those totals seem awfully low. If the greens are wins shouldn't City be 67.
I didn't even get that far. I'm still wondering how both Liverpool and Arsenal will gain 0 points from that game

Treble_Winning

because it is Jose aswell! Go ask Iker Casillas, go ask some other madrid players, chelsea players, even inter. People didnt invent this "3rd season and it falls apart" syndrome for Jose, they see it with their own eyes. He falls out with players and others. The Eva stuff was absolutely appalling, utterly disgraceful

Players didnt stop playing just because they woke up and suddenly decided Jose should go. These managers give players reason to stop liking them etc And when you start fallin out with players, what do you honestly expect?
Ok but let's not pretend that Fergie didn't do similar stuff. The incident with Beckham and the flying boot was very controversial and if it was Mourinho who had done that, the media would have made a far bigger deal out of it. The difference is that clubs like United back their managers 100% and don't allow player power revolts. The players don't even bother speaking to the board or the owners because they know it will go nowhere. Real Madrid, Chelsea and a lot of other clubs don't back their managers 100% and if it is a stalemate between the players and the manager - it is the latter who is sacked.

That is why United is a perfect platform for someone like Jose, he will get full backing and full control. That is why Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Memphis etc didn't even bother raising a fuss because they know it won't work.

Early in his career Jose had a big problem with Adrian Mutu even though the player was a fan favourite. Chelsea sacked Mutu and they won the title. Too bad they didn't give Jose their backing with regards to the Eva Carneiro situation. Their loss is our gain. Besides, what the hell is wrong with a manager swearing at their subordinate for rushing onto the pitch or demoting them for disobeying his instructions. Is that really so fecking bad. Football is a man's game so Eva should have toughened the feck up.

As United fans why don't we back our manager more, we have got the best manager in the world, why is there a need to scrutinize every single incident in his past and take a contrarian (anti-Jose) view of what happened. Casillas and Hazard behaved very badly too. Why don't they get the blame?

Treble_Winning

who? Leicester? Agree
I was referring to Liverpool. We dispatched Leicester rather handily. We should have beaten Liverpool too and I am very disappointed that we didn't. I am also disappointed that those bottlers lost to Southampton because we would have made an example of them at Wembley on a big cup final stage. In the end Southampton gave us a good game, probably better than Liverpool would have. Their defence is clownish and against Leicester they looked punch drunk. Even Carragher who is one of their club legends called them a disgrace openly on TV, and he doesn't even try to hide who he supports.

Minimalist

This home game against Bournemouth is huge. Shouldn't be but it is as we've messed up so many home matches this season. Not confident at all.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Ok but let's not pretend that Fergie didn't do similar stuff. The incident with Beckham and the flying boot was very controversial and if it was Mourinho who had done that, the media would have made a far bigger deal out of it. The difference is that clubs like United back their managers 100% and don't allow player power revolts. The players don't even bother speaking to the board or the owners because they know it will go nowhere. Real Madrid, Chelsea and a lot of other clubs don't back their managers 100% and if it is a stalemate between the players and the manager - it is the latter who is sacked.

That is why United is a perfect platform for someone like Jose, he will get full backing and full control. That is why Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Memphis etc didn't even bother raising a fuss because they know it won't work.

Early in his career Jose had a big problem with Adrian Mutu even though the player was a fan favourite. Chelsea sacked Mutu and they won the title. Too bad they didn't give Jose their backing with regards to the Eva Carneiro situation. Their loss is our gain. Besides, what the hell is wrong with a manager swearing at their subordinate for rushing onto the pitch or demoting them for disobeying his instructions. Is that really so fecking bad. Football is a man's game so Eva should have toughened the feck up.

As United fans why don't we back our manager more, we have got the best manager in the world, why is there a need to scrutinize every single incident in his past and take a contrarian (anti-Jose) view of what happened. Casillas and Hazard behaved very badly too. Why don't they get the blame?
I don't know why I bother replying to you, but here it is. Mourinho is not the perfect manager and a wonderful human being that you're constantly trying to make him out to be. What he is though, is a proven winner, a top quality manager with great pedigree and impressive resume. There's probably no-one better in the world when it comes to short term success. If you have resourses and want to win trophies fast, Jose's your man. He is, however not a long term option, and that's also been proven on many occasions. Something happens after two-three years of his reign that creates tensions and problems within the club wherever he's at. Maybe his methods that work so fast in the beginning backfire after a certain time, or it's his personality, I don't know. But it does happen. And it will happen at United, it's just a matter of when, not if.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Said every runner up ever. ;)
Real would have had more league titles too!

But yeah, they were unfairly good weren't they.
Not really, the fact remains that they shouldn't even be in the final in 2009. I'm sure Chelsea fans remember the gross incompetence of Ovebro.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Can't wait for the season to finish and hopefully with Arsenal out of top 4(like I'm half way expecting).

Talks and resignations about Arsenal ending up top 4 regardless of current form and such just because they've done it in previous years are tedious.

Every other team get doubted when their form is down but Arsenal get given a free pass because they did it before despite being in awful form at the moment.

Let's just ignore all the changing circumstances and pretend that it's a certainty Arsenal will make it. Spurs are looking more likely to end up above Arsenal and yet no one can remember them ever being above Arsenal at the end of a league campaign.

Many strong teams tossing out for top 4, a completely and vastly different scenario to previous ones for Arsenal.

None of the top teams around Arsenal looking like collapsing beside Liverpool.

Shez

Arsenal and Spurs are such a waste of space in the top 4 ... really hope they lose out. What's the point of qualifying if you're going to get spanked year in year out
Reckon we are on a good roll here... March will be crucial - need to put some distance between us and the others here and reckon with our fixtures we stand a chance

Akshay

Staff
Too bad they didn't give Jose their backing with regards to the Eva Carneiro situation. Their loss is our gain. Besides, what the hell is wrong with a manager swearing at their subordinate for rushing onto the pitch or demoting them for disobeying his instructions. Is that really so fecking bad. Football is a man's game so Eva should have toughened the feck up.
What the heck are you on about? Eva and Fearn (a male doctor) both heeded the referee's summons to go treat Hazard which went against Mourinho's wishes. They were completely in their rights as the club's medical staff. Mourinho is not a medical expert. He was angry about losing the game and took it out on them and the ref instead of Hazard (at least publicly). It's not the first time Mourinho has misbehaved so I really don't know why you're trying to defend it. It's been part of his character for all his career but if he keeps it to a minimum like he has so far at United then I couldn't care less.

On the subject of Mourinho's eventual falling out with United, it's possible but note that he left Porto and Inter of his own accord with no ill-feelings. At Chelsea the first time he was sacked for finishing 2nd after back to back championships, and at Real Madrid for dropping Casillas who was also dropped again by Ancelotti upon his arrival at the club. So it's hardly like his career has been dominated by conflicts with the dressing room.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Their loss is our gain. Besides, what the hell is wrong with a manager swearing at their subordinate for rushing onto the pitch or demoting them for disobeying his instructions. Is that really so fecking bad. Football is a man's game so Eva should have toughened the feck up.
If you can't see what's wrong then you're either totally immature or a misogynistic idiot. She had a duty of care and it doesn't matter what Mourinho said or did she's a qualified doctor and if a player is injured then it doesn't matter what the manager thinks when the ref signals for the medical staff to come on the field of play.

Football isn't a man's game either, tell my daughter or wife that and they'd tare you a new one, just bloody well grow up

Reactions: SteveJ

Eire Red United

Its nice to win it, but hardly heartbreaking if you dont. Same as charity shield, and super cup.

Losing an FA cup final, or the 2 big European ones, even EFL cup to an extent (for clubs like Soton etc), can be gutting and really heartbreaking. I would 100% rather lose to Mamelodi Sundowns in the CWC, than not win the FA Cup.

You ask any Spurs fan, Arsenal fan, City fan, chelsea fan, Liverpool fan how much theyd like to see their side win the CWC,,, wont be many fans

and also the "Best club in the world" for winning CWC, is not an official title, its just an opinion.
I reckon any of them would bite your hand off.

ruskyline

Man utd:
Bournemouth H, Soton A, Boro A, WBA H, Everton H, Blunderland A, Chelsea H, Burnely A, Swansea H, Arsenal A, Spurs A, Palace H, City A 48+37= 85

Feck all you pessimist. We'll beat all the teams ahead of us including Chelsea at Home because we already beat them away in the FA so we can just repeat the same performance. Burnely is over rated in their home, Arsenal and Spurs away are very doable. They aren't that great anyway. I can honestly see Pep giving us some hard time and we'd nick it in the extra time.

85 points, called it first. We'll finish second less than 5 points away from Chelsea.

Edit: Ran out of my post limits for today but why you guys don't have the ability to see us win 12 of our 13 EPL games? Chelsea won 13 in a row this year and Arsenal won like 14 in a row I believe while back. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side :rolleyes:

Last edited:

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
On the subject of Mourinho's eventual falling out with United, it's possible but note that he left Porto and Inter of his own accord with no ill-feelings. At Chelsea the first time he was sacked for finishing 2nd after back to back championships, and at Real Madrid for dropping Casillas who was also dropped again by Ancelotti upon his arrival at the club. So it's hardly like his career has been dominated by conflicts with the dressing room.
He spent two-and-a-half years at Porto and two years at Inter. He left both clubs on a high, taking them as far he could but had he stayed at either place a bit longer it would have been the same story like his problems in London and Madrid. Jose is simply not suited for a long term job in the same club.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Man utd:
Bournemouth H, Soton A, Boro A, WBA H, Everton H, Blunderland A, Chelsea H, Burnely A, Swansea H, Arsenal A, Spurs A, Palace H, City A 48+37= 85

Feck all you pessimist. We'll beat all the teams ahead of us including Chelsea at Home because we already beat them away in the FA so we can just repeat the same performance. Burnely is over rated in their home, Arsenal and Spurs away are very doable. They aren't that great anyway. I can honestly see Pep giving us some hard time and we'd nick it in the extra time.

85 points, called it first. We'll finish second less than 5 points away from Chelsea.
I think you've crossed the line between optimism and insanity.

Akshay

Staff
He spent two-and-a-half years at Porto and two years at Inter. He left both clubs on a high, taking them as far he could but had he stayed at either place a bit longer it would have been the same story like his problems in London and Madrid. Jose is simply not suited for a long term job in the same club.
He likely wouldn't have replicated his CL success at either club but I doubt it would have been expected either. I think Inter would have dealt with the growing threat of Juventus much better had he stayed. The dressing room there adored him. If the issue is burn-out then the same thing could be said about Guardiola leaving Barcelona and Bayern. The difference being that Pep openly declares he doesn't intend to stay long anywhere while Jose seems to have wanted the United job for a long time. I'll admit when he came I also thought LVG would last his full 3 year contract and look how that ended.

devil in me

If you can't see what's wrong then you're either totally immature or a misogynistic idiot. She had a duty of care and it doesn't matter what Mourinho said or did she's a qualified doctor and if a player is injured then it doesn't matter what the manager thinks when the ref signals for the medical staff to come on the field of play.

Football isn't a man's game either, tell my daughter or wife that and they'd tare you a new one, just bloody well grow up
Aye, it was beyond twattish. Can't see how any fully grown adult could argue, to be honest.

Ixion

Ran out of my post limits for today but why you guys don't have the ability to see us win 12 of our 13 EPL games? Chelsea won 13 in a row this year and Arsenal won like 14 in a row I believe while back. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side :rolleyes:
Players already looked knackered against Southampton and we barely hung on and the games just keep coming. Winning that many games isn't happening, going unbeaten with 3-4 draws in there would be an amazing achievement though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So you disagree with the original content of my post? Do you think that Hazard's conduct as a professional was acceptable in any way? You don't agree that being a top player means being a true professional? Not just silky skills, backheels and dribbles? Hazard's conduct was shameful (even more than Vardy's).

Mourinho should stick it in his face with one of his famous touchline celebrations. Why not?
Because his poor form couldn't have had anything to do with Mourinho overplaying him whilst he was injured having simultaneously fired half the medical staff, right?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Right, ignoring the WUM that is Treble and getting back to the original topic, something occurred to me that I'd like the input from some Spurs' supporters on. Wouldn't it actually be better for Spurs to finish fourth this season instead of third? That way Alli is suspended for the two legs of the qualifying round and one group match as opposed to the whole first half of the group stage. I say this because Spurs are still likely to get a tough draw being a lower seeded team, and will be favourites to get through any qualifying match but will need Alli much more in the group in all probability.

Granted, the downside is you make that nervy first home and away tie dicier, but they could well draw a team from Cyprus or something and waltz through anyhow. Thoughts?

AXVnee7

Still a long way to go yet, and we definitely have the toughest run in + busiest schedule. Liverpool won't be as much of a threat, but Arsenal will be so it's tough at the moment.

shaky

He left Porto and Inter for better jobs. He left Chelsea and Madrid because they have bombscare people running the club and anyone surviving more than 2 seasons at these clubs deserves a medal. This whole Mourinho 3 year thing is a load of tosh.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Right, ignoring the WUM that is Treble and getting back to the original topic, something occurred to me that I'd like the input from some Spurs' supporters on. Wouldn't it actually be better for Spurs to finish fourth this season instead of third? That way Alli is suspended for the two legs of the qualifying round and one group match as opposed to the whole first half of the group stage. I say this because Spurs are still likely to get a tough draw being a lower seeded team, and will be favourites to get through any qualifying match but will need Alli much more in the group in all probability.

Granted, the downside is you make that nervy first home and away tie dicier, but they could well draw a team from Cyprus or something and waltz through anyhow. Thoughts?
Would prefer to finish 3rd or higher than 4th. Alli is not irreplaceable for a few games, and missing a qualifier is one less game to have to play in a long and busy season, not to mention the risk of an upset.

Besides, the higher we finish in the league the more attractive we become to potential new recruits.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still a long way to go yet, and we definitely have the toughest run in + busiest schedule. Liverpool won't be as much of a threat, but Arsenal will be so it's tough at the moment.
That's it, people are getting a bit happy at the "demise" of Liverpool, ignoring firstly that they're still actually above us, and secondly, just overtaking Liverpool is just bragging rights and not that valuable, we still need to overtake someone else!

salford_

Their loss is our gain. Besides, what the hell is wrong with a manager swearing at their subordinate for rushing onto the pitch or demoting them for disobeying his instructions. Is that really so fecking bad. Football is a man's game so Eva should have toughened the feck up
That is wrong on many levels. He also called her a "daughter of a whore" in her native language just because as a doctor she thought Hazard needed treatment. That is a physio's role. Why wasn't Jon Fearn called a son of a whore? Why only attack the female when both doctors did the exact same action

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Would prefer to finish 3rd or higher than 4th. Alli is not irreplaceable for a few games, and missing a qualifier is one less game to have to play in a long and busy season, not to mention the risk of an upset.

Besides, the higher we finish in the league the more attractive we become to potential new recruits.
Fair enough! Figured I'd ask, thanks for the response. I might ever so slightly lean towards finishing 4th were I in your shoes, though a lot of that would depend on which teams finish in those positions in the other leagues and could be potential draws.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Only just realised how brutal United's schedule is. I'm not so sure about my prediction anymore, Tottenham might actually do it.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If Everton beat Spurs on sunday they would only be 6 points behind them. You could count them in at that point.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If Everton beat Spurs on sunday they would only be 6 points behind them. You could count them in at that point.
They've got to go to four of the top 6 away (and play Chelsea at home), while being 6 points behind the top four anyway. Think it is too much of a gap to bridge for a team who historically haven't got the best of records away to top 6 sides.

Only just realised how brutal United's schedule is. I'm not so sure about my prediction anymore, Tottenham might actually do it.
city arsenal and utd have the hardest there you could argue, when it comes to the top 7
Yeah, for me the Europa League is probably our best route of getting Champions League football. Won't be easy though.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

Knowing Spurs they'll Spurs up the qualification. They'll finish second this season anyway though.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They've got to go to four of the top 6 away (and play Chelsea at home), while being 6 points behind the top four anyway. Think it is too much of a gap to bridge for a team who historically haven't got the best of records away to top 6 sides.
True that, they just have an outside chance.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Remaining games

Interesting table cheers. City play away again this weekend so will have 7-5 left with 12 to go, they're the kind of little things that can make a big difference at this stage. Playing both Liverpool and United at home is a huge plus too given they're the two I currently see dropping out, and the furthest back.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Remaining games

Arsenal have some tough fixtures. Combine that with the uncertainty over Wenger/Sanchez/Ozil and the fans unrest whenever they drop points...I think we should finish above them.

I wonder if they will announce whether he is staying or leaving before the end of the season