Top 4 race 2016/17

SammyUnited_83

We need to apply the pressure, and this weekend is the 1st time (perhaps all season) we have had the opportunity to do that.

Win on Sunday and we will go 3rd (albeit for a few hours), both City and Pool will both have to respond - both probably will mind but still let's make sure we ask them the question.

edit: is there a press conference today? Is Pogba fit?!

Womp

idiot
A win this weekend and I think we'll have a proper shot at making it in the top 4. I see Liverpool dropping points, they've looked shaky as of late. I just hope some players begin returning so we can give some well needed rest to some.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
We need to apply the pressure, and this weekend is the 1st time (perhaps all season) we have had the opportunity to do that.

Win on Sunday and we will go 3rd (albeit for a few hours), both City and Pool will both have to respond - both probably will mind but still let's make sure we ask them the question.

You've had lots of opportunities throughout the season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
A win this weekend and I think we'll have a proper shot at making it in the top 4. I see Liverpool dropping points, they've looked shaky as of late. I just hope some players begin returning so we can give some well needed rest to some.
I've seen a few people say we have looked shaky lately, but our form has been decent. Our last 10 games have seen us pick up 20 points from a possible 30 with 6 wins, 2 draws and two defeats.

Performances haven't been perfect but I think we've been doing ok.

Womp

idiot
I've seen a few people say we have looked shaky lately, but our form has been decent. Our last 10 games have seen us pick up 20 points from a possible 30 with 6 wins, 2 draws and two defeats.

You're grinding out wins which is a good sign, but you guys haven't looked nearly as lively or fluid as you did earlier on in the season. Effects of the excessive tactics all season long? Mane being out is a big blow too.

I think City are just about set in the top four, that last place is between either us or you guys. We both seem to have our own little late season issues though.

Infra-red

The Swansea pre-match press conference took place last night and is embargoed until 1:30pm today. No idea what Pogba's situation is, but I suspect he won't be rushed back for the weekend because the Celta game next week is of greater importance.

crossy1686

career ending
As far as our form goes, I think we'll lose one, draw two and win two of our remaining games. That will put us on 72 points.

Whether or not that's good enough for the top 4 will depend on how our rivals do in the coming weeks.

Infra-red

As far as our form goes, I think we'll lose one, draw two and win two of our remaining games. That will put us on 72 points.

Whether or not that's good enough for the top 4 will depend on how our rivals do in the coming weeks.
There's no way that will be good enough. I see Liverpool winning 3 of their remaining 4 games, which means we need to win 4 out of 5 (including a victory away at either Arsenal or Spurs).

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
There's no way that will be good enough. I see Liverpool winning 3 of their remaining 4 games, which means we need to win 4 out of 5 (including a victory away at either Arsenal or Spurs).
Let your victory be at Spurs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we'll fall short - our form, together with injuries etc, is not good enough to put together the results we'd need to get top 4. Hopefully we'll win the Europa, which looks more realistic.

Infra-red

Let your victory be at Spurs.
Statistically the most difficult Premier League fixture this season is Spurs away. They have taken 47 out of a possible 51 points, they are the only side undefeated at home this season, nobody has conceded fewer goals, nobody has scored more goals, nobody has won more games. I think the very best we can hope for there is a hard-fought draw. We'll have to win at the Emirates.

cyberman

Yeah but a few of those wins were dodgey wins, relying on horrendous misses from the opposition or heroics from Mignolet (a rare unicorn indeed)
Saying all that, the best way we can get top 4 is by the very real possibility of all of our remaining opposition having nothing to play for. A draw in the derby this Sunday kills our next two opponents motivation for the rest of the league campaign imo.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah but a few of those wins were dodgey wins, relying on horrendous misses from the opposition or heroics from Mignolet (a rare unicorn indeed)
Saying all that, the best way we can get top 4 is by the very real possibility of all of our remaining opposition having nothing to play for. A draw in the derby this Sunday kills our next two opponents motivation for the rest of the league campaign imo.
Yeah Mignolet has had a decent season for the most part. The Burnley win was a very poor performance.

Yeah you might be right. It also depends what Chelsea do against Everton.

Imagine we both miss out and Wenger sneaks in. :lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Statistically the most difficult Premier League fixture this season is Spurs away. They have taken 47 out of a possible 51 points, they are the only side undefeated at home this season, nobody has conceded fewer goals, nobody has scored more goals, nobody has won more games. I think the very best we can hope for there is a hard-fought draw.
That's exactly why you'll win. Those are the games where having Jose on your bench is worth more than any 3 players you like. I don't gamble, but if I did I'd be putting money on you lot for that game. Arsenal meanwhile should be a no-brainer, Wenger has only won 1 in about 16 games against Jose.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Maybe we can draw at Tottenham, but unless we win at Arsenal and all other games, we stand almost no chance.

Stacks

Arsenal are being Arsenal. It's uncanny how closely they follow the script. Year after year after year. Unfortunately for us, that script involves a late surge to nail down a top four slot. Wait and see. It's going to happen again.
yep. It may already have started with the win over City. It would surprise me not if they secure top 4 finish, win the F.A. cup, Arsene runs his mouth about how people take him for granted, Kronke comes out sending shots to everyone about how Wenger is the best man for the job and we are all stupid, some Arsenal fans get back on Wenger's side, many don't and finally Arsene tells us that he has a young team that is maturing and will definitely be in a strong position to mount a title challenge next year. He will say they are have money to spend, but pass most of the summer procrastinating and hesitant to press that "buy button" though.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
yep. It may already have started with the win over City. It would surprise me not if they secure top 4 finish, win the F.A. cup, Arsene runs his mouth about how people take him for granted, Kronke comes out sending shots to everyone about how Wenger is the best man for the job and we are all stupid, some Arsenal fans get back on Wenger's side, many don't and finally Arsene tells us that he has a young team that is maturing and will definitely be in a strong position to mount a title challenge next year. He will say they are have money to spend, but pass most of the summer procrastinating and hesitant to press that "buy button" though.
Arsenal probably have a harder run in the United, really can't see them finish top 4. It's 2 spots between City, Pool and United

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's absolutely fecking uncanny the way that man has created his very own groundhog season at Arsenal.

KN5

Think the next couple of games are key for us. Beating Swansea is a must, and then a win at the Emirates would provide us with a good platform for the run-in. I expect Spurs to beat Arsenal this weekend and then draw/lose to us, which means they could only gain 72-73 points in total. Liverpool will maybe slip up once (75-76 points), which means, as I said from the beginning, one of our three away games against Spurs, Arsenal und City needs to be won. As winning at the Emirates is our best bet IMHO, next Sunday is crucial. If we manage to do that, beating Southampton and Crystal Palace on the final day of the season would give us 76 points, battling it out with Liverpool on goal difference.
Those draws against Bournemouth, West Ham, Hull, Stoke and Burnley in particular are coming back to haunt us now. We could be quite relaxed about top four if we had only beaten a couple of these teams at home.

Right now I'd guess that Liverpool will finish on 76 points, United on 74 and Arsenal on 73. City will make it quite easily in 3rd place.
Doesn't help that we also conceeded late against Arsenal and Everton, if only we held on for literally 1/10th of the total game time more!

Stacks

I've been banging on about this for ages. Getting top four this season is a far tougher challenge than at any point since Fergie retired and (as your stats prove) arguably the toughest ever.

All of which needs to be taken into account when deciding how good a job Mourinho has done in his first year in charge. Especially when you compare it to the previous incumbent.
Yeah, you don't normally have 6-7 teams capable of doing it for so long in the season. You could argue that Everton and Arsenal are out of it now, but a couple of big results throws a spanner in the works and suddenly it's 3-4 teams fighting for Fourth instead of the usual two (or one in some cases). It's so competitive and I think if Mourinho does hit a total of around 75 Points then you have to say even his overall Premier League record is very good in his first season at United. Especially given how most would rate our squad of players (and how poor we've been for the last three seasons).
Have to disagree dudes, on the idea of comparing points tallies from different seasons to judge the current managers season. Every manager can use that as a crutch. Each season is individual and subject to that seasons football forces. No teams perform the exact same each year, even against the same teams. In 2008, Liverpool got 4th with 76 points, in 2014 Everton got 72 points. It doesn't mean that Liverpool would've won the league in 97 when United finished 1st with 75pt or that Everton would've finished 2nd, meaning that Martinez and Benitez were genius's. Every season must be looked at in isolation as the managers are brought in there to compete with what is in front of them and teams are usually quite tight in points every season, bar 1 runaway leader. Most seasons there are 6 teams in the running. People get mislead because we keep mentioning top 4, so there is the illusion that only 4 teams need to be considered, when in most years, there are that many teams in the running. This season, there is 9 points between 2nd-4th, in Van Gaal 1st season, there were 9pts between 2nd-4th. Its as tight as usual in my book.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Point is a top 4 spot is not unthinkable any more and this may really play against United, because you have half your squad injured and two competitions to take care of. There is a considerable risk to fall short of both with a lot of mitigating factors but still falling short.

Rafateria

That's exactly why you'll win. Those are the games where having Jose on your bench is worth more than any 3 players you like. I don't gamble, but if I did I'd be putting money on you lot for that game. Arsenal meanwhile should be a no-brainer, Wenger has only won 1 in about 16 games against Jose.
My money is still on Spurs, I don't care how many Mourinhos are on the bench, they are not on the field. They have been very impressive this season and even more so in this 2nd half. And that home record is brilliant.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
My money is still on Spurs, I don't care how many Mourinhos are on the bench, they are not on the field. They have been very impressive this season and even more so in this 2nd half. And that home record is brilliant.
And that sums up in a nutshell why Jose keeps breaking Scouse hearts. You still don't understand what he's capable of. ;)

Rafateria

And that sums up in a nutshell why Jose keeps breaking Scouse hearts. You still don't understand what he's capable of. ;)
Haha. We saw his 2016/17 capabilities perfectly illustrated yesterday. Defence, defence, defence and pray for a goal on the break. Illustrated United's stength and weakness this season perfectly.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Haha. We saw his 2016/17 capabilities perfectly illustrated yesterday. Defence, defence, defence and pray for a goal on the break. Illustrated United's stength and weakness this season perfectly.
Rojo, Pogba and Zlatan are injured. Any team would struggle with 1 key player missing in defence, attack and midfield.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I seem to remember you guys thinking you understood his capabilities in 2014 too.. :wenger:

Rafateria

Rojo, Pogba and Zlatan are injured. Any team would struggle with 1 key player missing in defence, attack and midfield.
The same is never said about Liverpool on here when we have Mane, Henderson, Lallana and sometimes Matip missing though. Goose and Gander.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No it didn't. You really haven't a clue at all. I'd suggest another trip to the Himalayas. Maybe you'll find a brain there this time.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The same is never said about Liverpool on here when we have Mane, Henderson, Lallana and sometimes Matip missing though. Goose and Gander.
You look a distinctly different team without Mané. Imagine not having your top scorer, your 2nd top scorer who along with your record transfer are both out and the best sources of key passes in the final third... and your best defender also out.

Our wingplay and flanks have been problematic all season with the exception of Valencia. The strength was the spine and it's gone. You can't compare both situations really.

Infra-red

And score 50% more than United. Swings and roundabouts but scoring counts more if GD is level.
I expect Liverpool to pip United to 4th. That being said, worth noting perhaps that the 'goals for' difference between United and Liverpool is largely due to the first half of the season. Liverpool beat Stoke 4-1 in December; in the 21 games in all competitions since that they've only scored more than 2 goals in a game twice and have never scored more than 3. Basically, the thrashings stopped and in the last 4 months Liverpool's scoring rate has fallen to a lower level than United's.

Since that game on December 27th:

PL Games Played: United 14 - Liverpool 16

Goals Scored (per game): United 23 (1.64) - Liverpool 25 (1.56)

Goals Conceded (per game): United 6 (0.43) - Liverpool 21 (1.31)

Goal Difference: United +17 - Liverpool +4

Points (per game): United 30 (2.14) - Liverpool 26 (1.62)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are back in it somehow. I fully back them to feck over spurs in the last north London derby at WHL. It's just the type of thing that would happen to Tottenham
As it stands, we are the underdogs. Maybe this thing could help us.

Rafateria

loo
You look a distinctly different team without Mané. Imagine not having your top scorer, your 2nd top scorer who along with your record transfer are both out and the best sources of key passes in the final third... and your best defender also out.

Our wingplay and flanks have been problematic all season with the exception of Valencia. The strength was the spine and it's gone. You can't compare both situations really.
Look at those players missing for Liverpool (top scorer, midfield general and captain, midfield dynamo and best defensive player) and then tell me again it's not comparable.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
loo

Look at those players missing for Liverpool (top scorer, midfield general and captain, midfield dynamo and best defensive player) and then tell me again it's not comparable.
Marginally the top scorer although I agree your dependence on Mané overall is mind-blowing. Your drop in quality in midfield isn't Pogba to Fellaini (suspended now so can't even field three).

You have played about half the games we have for a few months as well.

The_Midfielder

I was thinking we wouldn't lose this year.. esp in the PL, but now with Fellaini out, I am not sure.. say whatever you want about Fellilani, he makes us hard to beat... and also he is the perfect candidate to relieve pressure from the backline esp against teams like City and Spurs...
Do not believe we will make top 4.. so Europa is our big hope..