Top Four Race 2017/18

Nero

The benefit with challenging for the top 4 is that you are able to drop silly points. That's why it's a top 4 race and not a title race.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If liverpool wins it is 5 points clear. Not great not bad. But we must win all those "easy games". 4 points dropped in 4 days. That is not good

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Looks like we'll be drawn into that top four battle before I anticipated. I was hoping we would be able to bring home a couple of three pointers now to keep it at arms length, but at this point I'm well and truly fearing whether we'll be able to hold on to a top four spot. Right now we're realistically looking at our third straight season where we lose all semblance of form around the new year, and in the previous two we've shown no ability to stem the tide when it's happened.

For me, it'll be a positive surprise if we manage to get through February without dropping out of the top four.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It may not be as much a foregone a conclusion as some thought. Liverpool, to me, definitely look a top 4 side. And Spurs are hitting form as well. We are postioned well but need to recover form. 2 points from the last 3.`

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Watching the other contenders, we’re playing by far the worst football. Very worrying times.

ParkLife

Could easily see us finishing behind Spurs again but we'll get top four. Not at all impressed by Chelsea or Arsenal and as good as Liverpool can look, they always have a potential clanger in them.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not only that though . I know it rarely comes down to goal difference but I think at one point of the season United had 19 + and Liverpool 1 +. There is now an 8 difference . Goal diffrence is a good reflection on form I think.

Anyway. Let see what happens with us and Swansea as we are weird .
Points difference has varied between 4 and 7 for most of the season but goal difference came in from 20 to 8

Canagel

The benefit with challenging for the top 4 is that you are able to drop silly points. That's why it's a top 4 race and not a title race.
Exactly. That is so true. There will be a lot of points dropped and the teams who drop less will get into the top 4 by default.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Exactly. That is so true. There will be a lot of points dropped and the teams who drop less will get into the top 4 by default.
Agree, the teams that drop the least points will usually get the higher spots on the table.

Peanut Butter

Im emotional ....

When that free kick went in I punched the counter top and broke my kids flash yoyo that he got from Santa.:nervous:
Mate you need a Xmas Chill Pill! We'll be ok I promise.

What I will say: I agree that we need to improve and quickly. I knew today wouldn't go well with Ibrahimovich starting, he slows everything down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're seemingly doing our best to replicate that dreadful Christmas under Van Gaal.

Southampton up next, they need to be gunned down.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
We're seemingly doing our best to replicate that dreadful Christmas under Van Gaal.

I was just trying to remember the last time football didn’t make me want to self combust at Christmas. We always find a way to ruin it lately!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was just trying to remember the last time football didn’t make me want to self combust at Christmas. We always find a way to ruin it lately!
The "logic" was good today, Ibra in there as well as Burnley offer nothing going forward and we'll need his "Know how" to unlock a packed defence.
Then they inexplicably get one then two up.
We did pretty well to rescue it I think.

Canagel

Well if we lost against them it would be December 2015 all over again. The memory of the 0-1 defeat in January 2016 at OT still haunts me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well if we lost against them it would be December 2015 all over again. The memory of the 0-1 defeat in January 2016 at OT still haunts me.
Home defeats are the worst thing in football. It was a big thing that we didn't lose today, even if every single fan would have been disappointed with a draw pre game

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Liverpool have taken a massive chunk from the goal difference gap.

That's worth a point in a top 4 race.

Shit.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Top 4 should be brilliant this year. Its unfortunate that there will not be a title race this year but city are well deserving off there lead and are quite a big margin ahead of the rest in terms of consistency.

United as most non United fans predicted have started to drop points, there matches leading up to this whilst wins were not at all convincing.

Chelsea have shown that they struggle to break down teams playing deep and so are guaranteed to slip up a few more times. The other 3 teams are all different variations of inconsistency.:lol:

I still predict as I have thought for a few weeks;

City
Chelsea
United
Spurs

AshRK

Still see us finishing the season at 2nd place , which would be a great improvement.However, it would have even great had we been close to city and not others.

Peanut Butter

Football isn't a science.

Any team, at any time, will go on a dodgy run.

Liverpool are far more likely to go on that dodgy run than the others nearer the top. Although we've been dodgy last few fixtures.

Saying that, who gives a crap really? Whilst the CL is great, I want us to challenge for trophies. Just being in the CL is meh when you're as big as Man Utd or Liverpool. Both clubs are a million miles away from where they aspire to be right now.

Damien

Staff
Football isn't a science.

Any team, at any time, will go on a dodgy run.

Liverpool are far more likely to go on that dodgy run than the others nearer the top. Although we've been dodgy last few fixtures.

Saying that, who gives a crap really? Whilst the CL is great, I want us to challenge for trophies. Just being in the CL is meh when you're as big as Man Utd or Liverpool. Both clubs are a million miles away from where they aspire to be right now.
Players. If we finish out of the top four and don't get CL football it'll be harder to attract players as well as keep hold of the likes of De Gea.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Players. If we finish out of the top four and don't get CL football it'll be harder to attract players as well as keep hold of the likes of De Gea.
Yep, how can a player like De Gea not be in the CL? Unthinkable.

Peanut Butter

Hmm not having that. We attracted the likes of Di Maria when we were rubbish.

City bought who they wanted without CL. Same for PSG.

Liverpool still attract good players despite being terrible for decades.

Football is mostly about money now. CL is overrated.

Damien

Staff

Real Madrid booted him out and he didn't even want us. Only came here because PSG were hamstrung financially and he had nowhere else to go.

Situation with City and PSG happened years ago.

Fair enough with Liverpool though their squad isn't exactly brimming with talent apart from the front line and they still lose their best players - see Sterling and Suarez.

salford_

as damien pointed out, Di Maria never wanted to join

Peanut Butter

as damien pointed out, Di Maria never wanted to join
Fair enough. But just being in the CL doesn't guarantee better players.

Money talks first and foremost. If City or PSG didn't make the CL this season, they'd still buy world class players in the summer.

We have loads of money. It's whether our owner's want to spend it.