Top Four Race 2018/19

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we win next 3 then good chance we will finish in top 4. Arsenal and Chelsea play 2 out of 3 away from home.
But they still play two team they're better than. If they play at their maximum, they win those games imo. And they're facing sides with nothing to okay for. I disagree with those saying we have a good chance if we win the next three. We just give ourselves a bit of hope by doing it.

redshaw

If we beat Chelsea and win the last two, all Chelsea need to do is win their last two and be level on points with us and they'll probably be ahead on goal difference. We need Arsenal to drop more points and Chelsea to at least draw one of their last two.

PoTMS

If we finish 6th, we start our season in the EL qualifiers in mid-July. :lol:

AshRK

Arsenal and chelsea should be ashamed of letting united even be in this position.

Infra-red

Chelsea are definitely in with a great shot now. Just need to get at least a draw vs us at the weekend (which, if we're honest, they should easily do), and win their remaining two. I think Arsenal will now finish 5th.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We don't. We are dependent on two sides dropping points in two games each, out of three. The probability is very low imo.
It's not very low when you look at the context. A team that's terrible away has 2 away games and 2 midweek games to play.

Chelsea have us to play and then only need to draw another, if we do our job of course. They also have 2 midweek games to play.

Id take our fixtures over theirs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Err... we are relying on Arsenal to lose one more away game and Chelsea to fail to win once, assuming we can beat them.
Were not catching either side on GD so have to finish with more points. We need aresenal to either lose one game or drop points in two.
We need Chelsea to drop four points. So we have to beat them and hope they drop points in another.
I'm not banking on any both of those scenarios playing out.

macheda14

Arse are on a run of form that could see them drop points away at Leicester and Chelsea haven't been too great either. It will be final day of the season. Where Arse and Chelsea have tough away games. I'm still cautiously optimistic

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But they still play two team they're better than. If they play at their maximum, they win those games imo. And they're facing sides with nothing to okay for. I disagree with those saying we have a good chance if we win the next three. We just give ourselves a bit of hope by doing it.
Just like how Arsenal played against 2 teams they were better than. Arsenal's away form is woeful.

Wolves, Palace, Burnley also had nothing to play for and still got points from Arsenal and Chelsea.

Infra-red

Arse are on a run of form that could see them drop points away at Leicester and Chelsea haven't been too great either. It will be final day of the season. Where Arse and Chelsea have tough away games. I'm still cautiously optimistic
There is absolutely no chance of us winning our three remaining games. We are a dreadful side.

Inter Yer Nan

If we somehow beat Chelsea I think we'll get 4th place. We need a lot of things to go in our favor though. Need Chelsea to drop further points which is likely especially after Europa League games and Arsenal who may very well lose at Leicester.

Nadger

Supports
Spurs
Holy crap. Now thats the last thing we would need. Playing a nobody club in july.
In which case, if you do finish 6th, you’ll presumably be in favour of a Man City FA Cup win (and maybe domestic treble) to get a Europa League group spot instead!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If Utd beat us and win their last 2, and so do we win our last 2, you'd still be behind us in all likelihood.

I have never changed my tune re. top 4, but i am almost over confident now. Probably come back to bite me in the arse but I am almost certain if we avoid defeat Sunday, we have it in the bag.

Anyway the biggest point tonight is that city are winning the league.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Also worth noting, Arsenal and Chelsea might do what we did and put their eggs in the Europa League basket to qualify for CL if they drop any more points.

settembrini

Beat Chelsea, hope Arsenal drop points somewhere, then absolutely smash Huddersfield and Cardiff to get top 4 on GD.

Infra-red

That's the spirit
We haven't scored a goal from open play in 9 hours of football, during which time we have conceded 14.

I don't think a few pessimistic comments on a forum are likely to move the dial one way or another on our chances of top 4. We are diabolical.

C'est Moi Cantona

Not getting top 4 is likely to see more action in the transfer window, depressing, but it's a silver lining of sorts.

Macedonian Red

We still have a chance. We need Arsenal to lose and we to win all 3 remaining games. We can catch Chelshea on a goal difrence if we beat them 2-0, 3-0.

Jacob

Literally anything can happen. All three sides are woeful but they have EL to worry about.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still think three wins will be enough for United to do it on points, but little reason to believe United can get there currently. For some reason, people are still convinced that sides competing for fourth place with European football occupying them midweek can be counted to win league matches consistently.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Another rubbish game from Arsenal with a supposedly "strong" lineup. We concede and no matter who is on the pitch, we crumble hard and look like manchilds again. The difference with our home form is just impossible to explain.
Crazy to think that it's still doable if we beat Leicester with United and Chelsea facing each other at the weekend. :lol:

macheda14

We haven't scored a goal from open play in 9 hours of football, during which time we have conceded 14.

I don't think a few pessimistic comments on a forum are likely to move the dial one way or another on our chances of top 4. We are diabolical.
Not with that attitude

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Not getting top 4 is likely to see more action in the transfer window, depressing, but it's a silver lining of sorts.
Agreed.

But yeah, it's not totally over. Not beating Chelsea on the weekend will confirm missing out on top 4. We're asking for us to beat Chelsea, and then Arsenal to lose another game due to their superior goal difference to us, as well as us cutting goal difference on Chelsea. It's a tall order even if we beat Chelsea. A part of me just wants the hope to end - just so we can enjoy the last two games of the season with Ole experimenting with the team and giving the youth a crack ahead of phasing them in before pre-season.

Patrick08

It's over we will lose out on top 4 to Chelsea on goal difference is my prediction

Patrick08

Another rubbish game from Arsenal with a supposedly "strong" lineup. We concede and no matter who is on the pitch, we crumble hard and look like manchilds again. The difference with our home form is just impossible to explain.
Crazy to think that it's still doable if we beat Leicester with United and Chelsea facing each other at the weekend. :lol:
Arsenal won't make it as well. Their is still burnley to play.

Irwin99

Could possibly see us losing this on goal difference. I think we will beat Chelsea (who are equally poor) but we need Leicester to win against Arsenal. Should win our last two games despite our god awful form at the moment but we would need Chelsea to drop points again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't throw us in with you lot.
Dunno if you're trying to be funny but Spurs have lost more games than any of the other top 6 and regularly rely on unconvincing wins. Spurs are the best of the rest but only very marginally so

RedDevilRoshi

Need Arsenal to lose against Leicester at the weekend and ourselves to beat Chelsea.

From there our last two fixtures are Huddersfield (A) & Cardiff (H). On paper, we should win but don’t know what to expect.

charlenefan

If we finish 6th, we start our season in the EL qualifiers in mid-July. :lol:
That was the case in 2016 so why would it be the case now? Surely we'd be seeded so go straight into the group stage

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Dunno if you're trying to be funny but Spurs have lost more games than any of the other top 6 and regularly rely on unconvincing wins. Spurs are the best of the rest but only very marginally so
Everybody has had loads of unconvincing wins.

We're clearly better than any of United, Chelsea or Arsenal and I think will end up comfortably ahead of all of you.

The gap isn't HUGE but we're definitely ahead, there's a reason we've been 3rd for nearly all the season.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
More action possibly, but i think people are expecting utd to like sell 7 and buy 7. Just wont happen IMO.

However, I do think Pogba will go so theres further money

charlenefan

Everybody has had loads of unconvincing wins.

We're clearly better than any of United, Chelsea or Arsenal and I think will end up comfortably ahead of all of you.

The gap isn't HUGE but we're definitely ahead, there's a reason we've been 3rd for nearly all the season.
Chelsea were 3rd nearly all of last season where did they finish? The points return clearly shows you're not clearly better than anyone and like I said the amount of defeats speaks for itself

C'est Moi Cantona

Agreed.

But yeah, it's not totally over. Not beating Chelsea on the weekend will confirm missing out on top 4. We're asking for us to beat Chelsea, and then Arsenal to lose another game due to their superior goal difference to us, as well as us cutting goal difference on Chelsea. It's a tall order even if we beat Chelsea. A part of me just wants the hope to end - just so we can enjoy the last two games of the season with Ole experimenting with the team and giving the youth a crack ahead of phasing them in before pre-season.
If I could trust us to invest just the same if we get top 4 then I'd be bothered, but we most probably wouldn't, or at least not with the same urgency, and even though it'll probably be spent badly we need to at least try to sort this squad out ruthlessly this summer, not getting top 4 might let this happen, if not we're screwed anyway, and I'd like to look forward to watching the kids given a run out in the EL next season, rather than us struggling away in the CL.

It's sad, but it's just where we're at.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Chelsea were 3rd nearly all of last season where did they finish? The points return clearly shows you're not clearly better than anyone and like I said the amount of defeats speaks for itself

They were? I really don't remember this. Their collapse came pretty early under Conte I swear, maybe for half a season or so but definitely not 'most'. The difference also is that I think we will finish third, and we are currently on track to do so.

Again, we're 6 points clear of you, 4 points clear of Arsenal and 3 clear of Chelsea, who have to go to OT next week. We should win our remaining games and I doubt our competitors (who have some tough away games) will do so. My view is we will finish very comfortably third (by minimum 4 points or so) and that will be a decent little gap between us and 'the rest'.

I don't care about the defeats, the league is about points. City have lost more games than Liverpool yet are top.

charlenefan

They were? I really don't remember this. Their collapse came pretty early under Conte I swear, maybe for half a season or so but definitely not 'most'. The difference also is that I think we will finish third, and we are currently on track to do so.

Again, we're 6 points clear of you, 4 points clear of Arsenal and 3 clear of Chelsea, who have to go to OT next week. We should win our remaining games and I doubt our competitors (who have some tough away games) will do so. My view is we will finish very comfortably third (by minimum 4 points or so) and that will be a decent little gap between us and 'the rest'.

I don't care about the defeats, the league is about points. City have lost more games than Liverpool yet are top.
Comfortably is now defined as 4 points? The points gap between City/Liverpool and Spurs is comfortable, 4 points is nothing

C'est Moi Cantona

More action possibly, but i think people are expecting utd to like sell 7 and buy 7. Just wont happen IMO.

However, I do think Pogba will go so theres further money
7 in 7 out shouldn't happen, it's a disaster waiting to happen, but 4 in 5-6 out might make a difference if done properly, I trust us so little that if so get CL I could see something like 2 in 3-4 out, as it's ultimately mission accomplished, and any '2 year out if CL' sponsorship clauses are put off for another year.