Television Top Gear

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This will be a car wreck which is very apt. I am hoping it goes tits up and the Beeb relents and buys the delayed broadcast rights for the Amazon show.
Wouldn't be surprised if BT got them, they have been spending big in recent years and this would give them another edge over sky.

pauldyson1uk

I wouldn't be surprised if both shows flopped to be honest.
very much depends on the first few eps's of each, both will get huge numbers watching, BBC one just to see what it is like and the Amazon one will get record viewers just to see if anything other than the station has changed.
Clarkson and Co wont make me get Amazon TV , I like most other will download it from other places.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
very much depends on the first few eps's of each, both will get huge numbers watching, BBC one just to see what it is like and the Amazon one will get record viewers just to see if anything other than the station has changed.
Clarkson and Co wont make me get Amazon TV , I like most other will download it from other places.
Exactly why I think they'll possibly fail.

I don't personally know anyone with a Prime subscription, and I doubt this will bring too many in. Most who are arsed will download via alternative means.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Eddie Jordan, now it's rock bottom.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
This is not going to end well. It worked because the three of them had a great comradery and seemed very genuine in what they did. It was like a very British 3 stooges act. Cant see this being anything but forced and superficial.

Dobba

This is not going to end well. It worked because the three of them had a great comradery and seemed very genuine in what they did. It was like a very British 3 stooges act. Cant see this being anything but forced and superficial.
Nothing will be more forced and superficial than the last 5 series of 'old' Top Gear. They could have made that dog that won Britain's Got Talent a presenter and it wouldn't have managed to scrape the barrels they did.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nothing will be more forced and superficial than the last 5 series of 'old' Top Gear. They could have made that dog that won Britain's Got Talent a presenter and it wouldn't have managed to scrape the barrels they did.
Yep.

I think the Amazon show is going to be charicatured bullshit.

Oh look it's Clarkson making politically incorrect references to why he was sacked. He just doesn't care does he. Lad!

Here's captain slow doing something a little bit tedious.

And here's the hamster over enthusiastically trying to convince us that this crazy contrived scenario DID HAPPEN.

It's going to be well received only by people who can't finish a sentence without a crying-laughing-smilie.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
On the contrary, I think this is an opportunity for them to veer away from how staged and superficial Top Gear became.

They can still do wild stuff but they don't have to stage every single scene. Whether they go in that direction and if it'll be any good though....

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Yep.

Oh look it's Clarkson making politically incorrect references to why he was sacked. He just doesn't care does he. Lad!

And here's the hamster over enthusiastically trying to convince us that this crazy contrived scenario DID HAPPEN.

It's going to be well received only by people who can't finish a sentence without a crying-laughing-smilie.
Well said.

Big Andy

Bloke
Basically, nobody really watched Top Gear for car reviews, they watched it for the daft challenges and shit they got up to...

Yes, it was staged (A LOT)...I recently watched one where they went camping, and managed to "accidentally" reverse into a neighbouring tent, effectively destroying it, and then "accidentally" set a caravan on fire, which then spread to the aforementioned neighbouring tent...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yep.

I get the feeling you are one of those people that likes to constantly tell people that wrestling is fake. I've never actually met anybody who thought that it was real except kids, as long its entertaining, has some kind of point to the tests (i.e. which is fastest, best for driving around the city etc.) and well made it will be good enough for me.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I get the feeling you are one of those people that likes to constantly tell people that wrestling is fake. I've never actually met anybody who thought that it was real except kids, as long its entertaining, has some kind of point to the tests (i.e. which is fastest, best for driving around the city etc.) and well made it will be good enough for me.
Not at all, I used to enjoy Top Gear about 10 or so years ago when the new formula was still a little bit fresh but it went the same way as most other programs that find a winning formula. The producers try so desperately hard to find out exactly what it is that people like and then try to dish up more and more of the same. It just completely lost its balance.

To use a food analogy (shocking from me, I know); It's the equivalent of a chef recognising that the steak dish is the best selling dish on the menu. He wants to find out why it's the best dish, so he runs a survey amongst his customers and the majority say "it was the steak itself, it's big and juicy and delicious". So he thinks to himself how can I improve this dish? So he decides to give them more steak! He cuts back on the chips, mushrooms, tomatoes and onion rings and increases the size of the steak. People keep talking about it and keep coming in for it, what a steak! So he decides to improve it some more. More steak! Less chips, less mushrooms, less tomato and less onion rings. And then he repeats the process again and again. Eventually, the dish is unrecognisable. It's just one feck off great steak with 3 chips, a shallot ring, a cherry tomato and the head of an enoki mushroom.

By which point fans of the original steak dish are saying "well it was a much better dish when it was balanced and you had more elements complimenting the steak. It wasn't just mouthful after mouthful of ever increasingly tedious steak" but they can't be heard over dumb chatter of "mmm fat steak, it's so steaky".

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Looks like they will be going back to the car magazine style of show. They'll do less comedy stuff but still plan on epic specials.

hp88

Never heard of Rory Reid but he seems different your average car show presenter.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well I'm in that demographic, and I can't stand Top Gear's presenters past and present, Pexy!
*obligatory smilies to follow*

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Well I'm in that demographic, and I can't stand Top Gear's presenters past and present, Pexy!
*obligatory smilies to follow*

For what it's worth I really like Chris Evans. I think he's an excellent broadcaster and if anyone has got the personality to pull this off it's him.

Rooney1987

Just seen the Daily Mails headline for the line up and it's so predicable. The thought of a none white English person must really annoy them.

Smores

On the contrary, I think this is an opportunity for them to veer away from how staged and superficial Top Gear became.

They can still do wild stuff but they don't have to stage every single scene. Whether they go in that direction and if it'll be any good though....
Top gear was getting ridiculous and running it's course when it came to an end. It's predictable that in the wake of its cancellation and reformation that this would be forgotten.

Personally I can't wait to see what the new format is and what they do with it. We must even hear a thing about or two about cars along the way.

Smores

Just seen the Daily Mails headline for the line up and it's so predicable. The thought of a none white English person must really annoy them.
There seems to be a new trend of them reporting on what some folk on the internet think and therefore firmly disassociate themselves with the commentary they're pushing.

Odious cnuts

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There seems to be a new trend of them reporting on what some folk on the internet think and therefore firmly disassociate themselves with the commentary they're pushing.

Odious cnuts
The Express are absolute wankers for this. I have a friend on Facebook who is an absolute keyboard warrior. She's very a very compassionate liberal and is obsessed with arguing against far right wing idiots and I tend to read her comments as they're usually quite refreshing and interesting and the arguments can be quite fun.

Anyway as a result of reading her comments, Facebook has decided The Express must come up on my page every day and they always use this form of reporting.

Headline: Angry Mob Protest against immigrants.
Sub head: A group of angry mob said things like "immigrant scum get out of our country"...
Article: More comments from the angry mob "who are tired of Britians slack immigration laws"

Inevitable comments from like minded fascist readers: "Yeah but they're right though" "Christian country" "yada yada spit and bile."

It's become the new way to preach hate without any of the accountability of reporting from an angle that implies the newspaper's opinion.

"We were just reporting what other people said, we don't necessarily agree with those opinions "

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Left to right...

Sure, WOOT!, Okay, NOOOO!, WOOT!, NOOOO!, Oh why does the stig have a darker shadow? Is it Sabine?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The Express are absolute wankers for this. I have a friend on Facebook who is an absolute keyboard warrior. She's very a very compassionate liberal and is obsessed with arguing against far right wing idiots and I tend to read her comments as they're usually quite refreshing and interesting and the arguments can be quite fun.

Anyway as a result of reading her comments, Facebook has decided The Express must come up on my page every day and they always use this form of reporting.

Headline: Angry Mob Protest against immigrants.
Sub head: A group of angry mob said things like "immigrant scum get out of our country"...
Article: More comments from the angry mob "who are tired of Britians slack immigration laws"

Inevitable comments from like minded fascist readers: "Yeah but they're right though" "Christian country" "yada yada spit and bile."

It's become the new way to preach hate without any of the accountability of reporting from an angle that implies the newspaper's opinion.

"We were just reporting what other people said, we don't necessarily agree with those opinions "
There's already a thread for you to play in:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/daily-mail.204886/

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't like that lineup, can't see it working. Most of the people who watched Top Gear only watched it for Clarkson, Hammond and May, can't see those people staying around. Can see a huge drop in ratings after the first month.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It feels like Tottenham and Liverpool after Bale and Suarez left. They have tried to make up for quality with quantity, I can imagine them believing that with more presenters they can cancel out each other's weaknesses. I really can't see their being much chemistry between these hosts, and believe me, they will try to force chemistry between them.

JmRssll555

If the new show is a little bit less comedy and some more car reviews, then I think it can be a success. It'll still need an element of the spectacular and a lot of the success will be decided by how well the presenters interact with each other, but I think it can work. There's really no point in the show continuing to go on in the same way, since it will seem incredibly fake and would also see them competing with the Amazon show. Instead, if they can strike a balance, they'll retain many of the viewers of the Clarkson, Hammond and May Top Gear, whilst maybe even pulling in some fans of the old school Top Gear. It's a tough ask, but possible given the line up which they've put together. It'll certainly be interesting to see how it goes.

Coxy

So you pay £79 for free next day delivery?
Nope - I'm on a course at the moment so I get it for £39 ;) (amazon student)

However I'd gladly pay £79 for it too. Next day delivery to an amazon locker is great - and with the amount of orders I do I easily save money by paying the £79 initially. Like I said, the fact I get TV thrown in too is a bonus.