Top ten wasted talents

manutddjw

Vicente looked a real talent at Valencia, but injuries ruined his career and he is now playing for Brighton.

Moriarty

My list
1. Diego Armando Maradona – surely the best player in the world ever if only he stayed away from drugs
2. George Best – read above
3. Gazza – read above
4. Adriano – read above
5. Di Canio – he had the natural talent to go toe to toe with Robby Baggio. Unfortunately he was simply too mad to make it at a big side
6. Kluivert – a fantastic talent who would have had a great career at OT. Unfortunately he chose to go to Barcelona (who were more like today’s Real then today’s Barca) who ruined him
7. Owen – he had a great career with Liverpool but I often wonder what the kid would have achieved if he went to United. Under SAF responsible guidance he wouldn’t have suffered the burnout he had at Liverpool and would definitely not retired at 33
8. Edmundo - read Di Canio
9. Freddy Adu – At age 13 he was a phenomenon. Ive seen him play against Italy U17 and he literally humiliated them. Unfortunately his mother preferred to keep him in the US rather then join United. The rest is history
10. Denilson –His dribbling was Ronaldesque. It’s a shame that he moved to Spain at such a young age
Best didn't waste his talent. he played at the top level for over 10 years, won league titles, a European Cup, and was capped for his country on a regular basis. Same with Maradona, who also won the lot. For me, a player who wastes his talent is one who has the potential to be the greatest, but pisses it away for whatever reason, and ends up with nothing.

Gazza

Bojan Djordic
Steve Marlet
Jérôme Rothen?
Casiraghi?
Hakan Yakin? (or was he more a flash in the pan?)
Hidetoshi Nakata
Chris Byland?
Queresma
Michael Johnson
Micah Richards perhaps?
Terry Cooke
Keith Gillespie
Joey Barton perhaps if you consider how highly he was rated.
Stephen Ireland? As with Barton...accept those two are debatable.
Nile Ranger (was never going to be brilliant but is wasting his chance at any sort of football career)
Huntelaar?
Saviola?
Byland had everything, such a shame

mboRa ndomHer0723

Carlos Vela
Vela is doing all right in Spain. He has scored more than 10 goals this season and has been asked back to play for Mexico.

My list

9. Freddy Adu – At age 13 he was a phenomenon. Ive seen him play against Italy U17 and he literally humiliated them. Unfortunately his mother preferred to keep him in the US rather then join United. The rest is history
He was supposed to go to Inter Milan before United was interested. Maybe that would have got him to actually develop a work ethic

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
These two are like some names on londonredmaniac's list but Jose Baxter and James Vaughan. Both PL youngest scorers but neither have reached what was expected. Both were thought to be playing regular PL football at least. At least Baxter still has a chance of reaching it! I think injuries will prevent Vaughan from doing so though.

Castia

Anderson to some extent. He was a huge talent when we signed him , he won best young player in Europe (won by Messi, Fabregas, Aguero etc) and cost us around 20m. There's no doubt he was expected to be the 'next big thing' in terms of a central midfielder.

Robinho was highly rated at Madrid and had a Neymar type of hype before he made that move, we all know how he turned out.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Anderson to some extent. He was a huge talent when we signed him , he won best young player in Europe (won by Messi, Fabregas, Aguero etc) and cost us around 20m. There's no doubt he was expected to be the 'next big thing' in terms of a central midfielder.

Robinho was highly rated at Madrid and had a Neymar type of hype before he made that move, we all know how he turned out.
I'd possibly agree regarding Anderson. He was similarly hyped up to what say Hazard is now. It would be like Hazard failing to turn into a top player, which everyone now expects.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Diego? While at Santos marked as next big thinng alongside Robinho, yet neither one accomplished things their talent promised.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
At least Baxter still has a chance of reaching it!
Really?

He is currently playing for Oldham who are fighting to stay in league 1. It is a fair old climb for him. He might make Championship level but I would be surprised if he became a Premier League player.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really?

He is currently playing for Oldham who are fighting to stay in league 1. It is a fair old climb for him. He might make Championship level but I would be surprised if he became a Premier League player.
Yup. You only need to look at players from Southampton or Norwich to see that just because a player is playing at lower league level it doesn't mean they're not going to get to the top league. Had praise heaped on him with 11 goals and 6 assists this season and his managers believe he can get back to the top again. Will take a lot of hard work but he's only 21. If he keeps it up i'd not be surprised to see him one day. You could see in the various Fa Cup games that he was a level above his teammates.

gamma1

1. Adriano - fantastic striker in his peak years at Inter, his career was derailed by personal problems
2. Aimar - possesses excellent close control in tight areas, couldn't fulfill his potential at the top level for a sustained period
3. Anderson - his United career has been plagued by injuries and inconsistent displays (partially attributable to a shift in playing position)
4. Cassano - very talented forward with behavioral issues
5. Diego - great attacking midfielder, couldn't perform adequately at the highest levels
6. Gourcuff - talented playmaker who hasn't managed to reach his predicted peak
7. Pato - brilliant striker whose career at Milan was curtailed by unfortunate injuries
8. Quaresma - talented winger who couldn't perform well at the highest levels
9. Robinho - gifted forward who has failed to fulfill his abundant potential convincingly
10. Vicente - excellent traditional winger who suffered several career impeding injuries

Robbie Boy

Did anyone on here get to see Robin Friday play? If so, how good was he?

I have read a-lot about him but any footage is hard to come by.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Nathan Delfoeunso
Fabian Delph
Fran Merida
Henri Lansbury

The last two were at Arsenal. They were never going to be world beaters but Wenger felt they would develop to be good players.

vuc

First Team Serb
Perica Ognjenovic is one of the biggest wastes of Serbian talent.

Guy went to Real Madrid from Red Star in his early 20's. They had to offload Samuel Eto tot get him there, and then he never made any sort of impact. After that he just disappeared. Like a total nosedive of a career. Big shame.

In a way I think Dragan Stojkovic was a wasted talent. He went to Marseille and Italy but had injury problems, before going to Japan and playing out the rest of his days there. He should have gone down as one of the best players of all time. One of the biggest things you can say about his talent was when Yugoslavia played Argentina in the QF of the 90 World Cup in Italy. Yugoslavia went down to ten men after half an hour but Stojkovic was brilliant and Yugoslavia despite having ten men were better and should have gone through.

Non Balkan related I'd have to say Denilson was a waste of talent.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Has Anderson really wasted his talent?

He has won 6 league titles, 2 domestic cups and the Champions league by the age of 24. Add to that earning millions on his way. Seems like his career has been fairly decent so far. He doesn't really compare to someone like Francis Jeffers in that regard.

Cina

Has Anderson really wasted his talent?

He has won 6 league titles, 2 domestic cups and the Champions league by the age of 24. Add to that earning millions on his way. Seems like his career has been fairly decent so far. He doesn't really compare to someone like Francis Jeffers in that regard.
Well, going by trophies, no, not at all, but he has definitely not fulfilled his potential as a player. We're talking about a lad who was being hyped as one of the future greats when he was 18, and compared to a young Ronaldinho.

JP77

Giovanne Dos Santos and Recoba
Man I used to love me some Recoba, what a player he was at one stage. Recoba at one stage was simply sensational (highest paid player in the world at one point) and he was stopped from going to the next level by injuries and his mentality. I'll never forget that goal against Lecce, simply jaw dropping at the time (number 3 on this list for anybody that hasn't seen it, skip to 11:38).

Probably the best shout in this thread so far actually. As brilliant as he was at one point, he's somebody that could of been regarded as possibly the best at one point. Not a great looker though :lol:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can Sergio Canales be added to the list?

The Real move really fecked him over. And he's struggled to make an impact at Valencia.

Moriarty

Anyone (of a certain age) remember Jim Baxter? Played for Rangers and Scotland and was blessed with a wonderful talent. I remember him taking the micky out of England's defenders at Wembley in 1967. His biggest flaw was his inclination to showboat. In that game, he infuriated his team mates by juggling the ball up and down the touchline while Denis Law was unmarked and screaming for a cross. Like so many others of that era, he left Scotland to try his luck in England. Took to the bottle in a big way and was never at his best for either Forest or Sunderland. He faded into obscurity but people north of the border, and quite a few south of it, still speak of Baxter as one who might have been one of the greats. He passed away in 2001.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How about Ljajic? I know he is still young but he doesnt appear to be making any noise in Italy except for fighting with his manager.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I missed the word 'never' FCBarca. Also how is Marc Muniesa coming along?
Currently, appears injury prone but we'll see. He's got a Puyol way about him but, personally, I don't have a lot of confidence in him as a defender. I like Bartra more with Bagnack not too far behind

vuc

First Team Serb
How about Ljajic? I know he is still young but he doesnt appear to be making any noise in Italy except for fighting with his manager.
Way too young to consider yet.

But in any case, he is looking a lot better under Montella. Starting to have an end product, something he badly lacked last season.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Can Sergio Canales be added to the list?

The Real move really fecked him over. And he's struggled to make an impact at Valencia.
Waaaaay too young to tell in my opinion. I mean many young players find it hard and then eventually hit peak and this may happen for him still. Some young players (Ravel M, Kerlon etc.) you can sort of put in the list due to their injuries, personal lives etc, but even that's a risk.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Perica Ognjenovic is one of the biggest wastes of Serbian talent.

Guy went to Real Madrid from Red Star in his early 20's. They had to offload Samuel Eto tot get him there, and then he never made any sort of impact. After that he just disappeared. Like a total nosedive of a career. Big shame.

In a way I think Dragan Stojkovic was a wasted talent. He went to Marseille and Italy but had injury problems, before going to Japan and playing out the rest of his days there. He should have gone down as one of the best players of all time. One of the biggest things you can say about his talent was when Yugoslavia played Argentina in the QF of the 90 World Cup in Italy. Yugoslavia went down to ten men after half an hour but Stojkovic was brilliant and Yugoslavia despite having ten men were better and should have gone through.

Non Balkan related I'd have to say Denilson was a waste of talent.
On that kind of theme, what about Elvir Baljic?