Torres to Chelsea

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm just waiting for the latest round of "I'd have him for £20m" talk.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I'm just waiting for the latest round of "I'd have him for £20m" talk.
It has gone beyond that now. He is gash with a capital G. Sturridge is actually a better player than him now. The guy is finished. It has been one of the most spectacular football declines in modern history.

He fulfills no purpose, he is a negative influence on the team, a liability - turd that won't flush.

Anyone who wants to sign him for any fee needs sectioning.

Oggmonster

They probably wouldn't even want him.
I reckon Athletico would have him back if they lost Falcao which is just a matter of time really. Torres is no where near his best but if they could get him cheap (or if Falcao went to Chelsea and Torres was part of the deal) then it probably is worth the risk, going back to his home team might reignite his career.

I don't think he'll ever get back to his best, at Liverpool he was probably the best striker in the league, or at least up there with Drogba. At times he was unplayable and you'd back him to score at every opportunity even if it was a half chance. He was probably lucky at Liverpool in the sense the team was made for him, Gerrard and Alonso in their prime would just feed balls to him and he didn't have to do much work, it doesn't happen like that at Chelsea, I can't think of anyone at Chelsea he's played with who were similar to them 2 which doesn't help him.

I don't feel sorry for him but to see a player who was so good just turn so bad over the course of a season basically when they should be reaching their peak is a bit of a shame.

hp88

Hiring Rafa was the last throw of the dice from Abramovich to get his £50m investment working again, If Torres can't find form under Rafa then he will be sold in the new year, he has become a hindrance to Chelsea now.

Brophs

The One and Only
The problem for Atletico is that Chelsea paid so much for him they'll want to extract some sort of value back for him. So if Chelsea tried to do a swap for Falcao they'd probably want to value Torres at around the £20m mark, which in real terms is massively overvaluing him. If Chelsea had bought him for £15m they might throw him in for £6-7m which would be easier to swallow for Atletico. Let's be honest, Torres isn't remotely close to half the player someone like Falcao is, so losing your best striker and only getting an underperforming striker and £20-30m isn't such an amazing deal.

Oggmonster

Torres scoring all his half chances? He's always missed chances.
Probably stems down to a matter of opinion but I always thought he was pretty good at converting them, maybe he's not as good as others were at it but as part of his all round game I wouldn't go as far as he always missed them.

The problem for Atletico is that Chelsea paid so much for him they'll want to extract some sort of value back for him. So if Chelsea tried to do a swap for Falcao they'd probably want to value Torres at around the £20m mark, which in real terms is massively overvaluing him. If Chelsea had bought him for £15m they might throw him in for £6-7m which would be easier to swallow for Atletico. Let's be honest, Torres isn't remotely close to half the player someone like Falcao is, so losing your best striker and only getting an underperforming striker and £20-30m isn't such an amazing deal.
Ye I agree with that, I don't think he's nearly as good as Falcao and the risk is he's a declining footballer where as Falcao is probably coming to his prime now. There is little attraction to Torres for any team really unless he goes cheap and you take a risk on him, even then his wages are going to be ridiculous, he wouldn't be nearly as good as the likes of Falcao are but I'd imagine if he did join Chelsea then Torres would be going and it seems to make sense with the clubs involved he's part of the deal, like you say though the money is the risk.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Even if he wasn't overvalued they couldn't and wouldn't pay his wages, supposedly around £175,000 per week. Not a chance they would pay close to that, is he even worth half? I wouldn't pay him 90k.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Torres scoring all his half chances? He's always missed chances.
Indeed. His finishing throughout his career has gone from decent (Atletico) to excellent (early days at Liverpool) to poor (latter days at Liverpool / Chelsea).

A shots-per-goal analysis backs this up:

2005/06: 6.3
2006/07: 6.3
[Joins Liverpool]
2007/08: 3.9
2008/09: 6.1
2009/10: 4.4
2010/11: 11.1 [Joins Chelsea in January]
2011/12: 10.0

I haven't got the stats from pre-2005, although I suspect his ratio was somewhere between 4-6 given his reasonable productivity in front of goal.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Even if he wasn't overvalued they couldn't and wouldn't pay his wages, supposedly around £175,000 per week. Not a chance they would pay close to that, is he even worth half? I wouldn't pay him 90k.
Falcao isn't even on 90k a week, so there is no chance Atletico will give that to Torres.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I freakin hate that mentality. Sometimes when You see him at the pitch he's kinda distanced from the game and lacking that hunger for goals.

I don't get it, how and when he suddenly lost his talents and will to be best. If he'll go like that longer, he'll end like Anelka, travelling from club to club with no bigger goal in mind.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Torres moving to Chelsea has been fantastic for everyone who hates them. It's really too bad they didn't get rid of Drogba last season like they were planning, they never would have won the CL.

Torres will slay many Chelsea managers until Roman finally decides to eat the loss and ship him out ala Shevchenko. Great stuff!

Keep Using Nonfunctional Torres!

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I see that the Torres revival articles has reappeared this morning, after he scored a few against substandard opposition :rolleyes:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
But...but I thought he was back after scoring 2 goals each against the worst team in the Champions League and one of the worst teams in the Premier League?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've heard that the Chelsea crowd booed when his name was announced and booed when he came on yesterday.

Can anyone confirm if that's true?

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I've heard that the Chelsea crowd booed when his name was announced and booed when he came on yesterday.

Can anyone confirm if that's true?
They didn't want Lampard to go off, which might've had something to do with it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were booing Torres directly though, he is magnificently shit and they're a shit set of fans too who would do exactly such a thing.

TheRisingSun

Banned
They didn't want Lampard to go off, which might've had something to do with it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were booing Torres directly though, he is magnificently shit and they're a shit set of fans too who would do exactly such a thing.
He was booed by a loud minority who have had enough of his awful performances. I completely disagree with booing any Chelsea player but I lost patience with Torres long ago. It's not just his moping body language and substandard performances, it's the general consensus that he has been persevered with come what may, in spite of form because he was a costly "owner's pet" purchase.

He has been quoted as saying that when he was on the bench he didn't care if Chelsea won or lost, said that the night we won the European Cup was the "worst night of his career" to Guilleme Balague in the aftermath of the match and stormed off the pitch at QPR after another awful performance when he was subbed for Daniel Sturridge with 10 minutes to go.

Sturridge outscored him from out of position last season and was still never given a proper run through the middle to the extent that he was driven out of the club, whilst Torres has had runs of 10 games without a goal and is still started.

The tide really turned with the perception that Benitez was brought in to "get the best out of him" at the expense of Roberto Di Matteo, a club legend who was drummed out of the training ground at 4am just six months after delivering us the European and FA Cup.

To say we're "shit fans" is also bollocks in this instance (although I think the booing is shit) because he has had nothing but support in spite of all his awful performances and he has been treated with the patience of a saint but everyone has had enough now.

""I would like things to be much better but the support they give me every day is amazing," Torres told Chelsea TV. "I remember a game against Wolverhampton and I was on the bench, and they were still singing my name.

"I've been very lucky to live very good moments but that game, when I was in the middle of nothing and not playing, was maybe the best memory I have in all my career.

"At the beginning of the season, I went through a hard moment, I was not playing, things were wrong and I was eight games without playing - I had never been in this situation before.

"The only thing that gave me hope was the support of the people. That game against Wolverhampton showed me there are important things to fight for, the love of the fans, the support of the club.

"My team-mates as well but the fans are the ones who have always been there from the first day until now."

TheRisingSun

Banned
Said it in the Nani thread too, supporters booing or moaning at their own players is one of the most idiotic things in football.
It's bollocks. Doesn't help anything. Some were booing him as he came onto the pitch last night, he's a delicate little flower - what is that going to do for his confidence when you're looking for a winner?

I have seen him get fantastic support as well though but really, there has been very little coming back.

Does Nani get booed?

MichaelS

He'd get booed at by United fans too if it was our situtation.

United fans booed Giggsy.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh, I dunno...we still sing DDG's name despite all his supposed errors.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Never heard United fans audibly boo a player who played for us so the above is bollocks IMO.

Giggsy got a bit of stick around 2003, but never to the point of audible booes when he came on etc.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Never heard United fans audibly boo a player who played for us so the above is bollocks IMO.

Giggsy got a bit of stick around 2003, but never to the point of audible booes when he came on etc.
I think he is talking about the minority, the few idiots that try and make a noise.

I'm always right

Exactly. Giggsy just received a little of the Nani moaning/groaning/getting on a players back treatment.

We're pretty good in not booing players.

MichaelS

Wasn't Beckham booed after his red card in the WC or was that just England fans?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yep. The 'terrible' treatment Suarez supposedly receives is as nothing compared to what Becks went through.

I'm always right

Yep. The 'terrible' treatment Suarez supposedly receives is as nothing compared to what Becks went through.
It was disgusting that year, songs about his wife taking it up the arse, effigies of him being burnt, booing, vile chants and screams. Oh, and not forgetting that lovely paper "The Mirror" had a David Beckham dartboard for England fans to enjoy.

Also stuff like this...

All a bit strange considering we control the media. We probably just wanted to wind-up Becks in order to get the best out of him and win the treble.

Swaters16

In the 99 season review there's a brilliant little segment about Beckham being branded a hero and then days later everyone was saying he ruined England and cost them, that there was '10 men and 1 boy'.