Torres to Chelsea

TheRisingSun

Banned
Amazing he gave so much to England considering that treatment, really. He loved representing his country.

I wasn't happy that he did that, but there is no way that he deserved such vilification. I bet the same cnuts that were booing him were heehawing all over the place when he curled in the free-kick against Greece.

I used to give him grief, but frankly it was cos I feared him as he was a fearsome player at that time.

Moultz

Im thinking how long this shitness has been going of for? Its no longer a rutt by any means surely? Hes genuinely lost it. I'm trying to think if a player has gone from being so fecking good to so shit in such a short period of time.

That season he had at Liverpool when they pushed us practically all the way along with his Spain contribution in the Euros of 08... feck its tragic really.

Nogbadthebad

Im thinking how long this shitness has been going of for? Its no longer a rutt by any means surely? Hes genuinely lost it. I'm trying to think if a player has gone from being so fecking good to so shit in such a short period of time.

That season he had at Liverpool when they pushed us practically all the way along with his Spain contribution in the Euros of 08... feck its tragic really.
Its 4 years.

Its not just since he arrived at Chelsea, that's what makes the £50 million so funny to me, he'd been shit for 12 months when they paid it.

I think its time to stop with the 'he's lost it' sentiment , and look at it as he never had it , apart from one very purple patch.

Like Marlon Harewood had once.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Its 4 years.

Its not just since he arrived at Chelsea, that's what makes the £50 million so funny to me, he'd been shit for 12 months when they paid it.

I think its time to stop with the 'he's lost it' sentiment , and look at it as he never had it , apart from one very purple patch.

Yeah that's an argument I had with someone once, who assured me he was going through a poor phase of form, he'd get back, "form is temporary class is permanent" etc. The thing is, when the 'poor form' has been a major part of your career, and definitely more prevalent than your great purple patch, at what point does it stop being poor form and actually indicative of your talent as a player? He had, what was it, 18 months? Where he was unstoppable, both for club and country (that 2008 Euro, he was amazing), but apart from that?

Zen86

And people were saying in the summer that he was going to tear the PL up this season with the new arrivals supporting him, please.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hopefully people who watch Chelsea more regularly than I do can answer this: is there any possibility that it's a Torres-at-Chelsea problem, or is his decline definitely his 'fault' regardless of the club he's with?

204Red

I wonder if Rafa will realize that over playing him, and playing him injured is what led to this.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Hopefully people who watch Chelsea more regularly than I do can answer this: is there any possibility that it's a Torres-at-Chelsea problem, or is his decline definitely his 'fault' regardless of the club he's with?

good question Steve.

If it is a 'decline' how much do you think it is because he has been played when injured.

because I think he has been.

Zen86

He was pretty shite in his last season at Liverpool if I remember correctly, and was the same for Spain.

Castia

He's not been the same since the World Cup he had a terrible tournament and although they won it he was dropped from the starting 11. That form continued for Liverpool before he was sold to Chelsea, on his day he was arguably the best striker in Europe but for some reason over the course of a few months he went from world class to utter shite and has never been the same since. Totally unrelated to this but I hope the same isn't happening with Valencia, he's having a similar problem at the moment.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Decline I'd say. He's lost that explosive acceleration he had that made him deadly. He also used to finish with a natural instinct. Whereas now he takes just a second or two longer to think about what he wants to do. It's not much but it gives defenders and goalkeepers enough time to stop him.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Ya his final season with Liverpool was very poor, i remember being very surprised when chelsea paid that much for him! and he has gradually got worse and worse :)
Was it that injury that made him lose form? Or what happened that made him lose his touch?

Tibs

Is he just shit now, or it is his goal scoring thats gone?

Is he still contributing to attacks, or is he just shit on a stick?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it's more to do with his hamstring injuries then anything else. He used to rely on thy explosive pace to give him much more space and he had a great goal scoring instinct. Then he got injury after injury, and for players like that, getting so many hamstring injuries takes its toll and he's just not as quick anymore, combine that with a loss of confidence and that's probably the main reason why he doesn't look anything like he used to.

SER19

:lol: just began reading this thread from the start and its funny to watch it unfold. it begins with people saying its just bullshit and wont happen at least til summer then word of liverpool buying suarez comes through and people just keep waiting for any big money confirmation....and like watching a scary film youve seen before you just wait....and wait...and wait...then bam! page 11, a 30 million pound bid for andy carrol goes through out of the blue! :lol:

seems absolutely incredible now, it did then but even more so now. what were they thinking? im also impressed by how many predicted that torres would flop completely.

manutddjw

I've watched most of Chelsea's games this season and my take on Torres is that he could be much better in a system that would allow him to have another striker to play off of.

When he's playing as the lone target man like Drogba last season in the Champions League, he's as useless as a Chumbawamba Greatest Hits Album. He's annonymous and Chelsea supporters aren't exaggerating when they say it's 10v11. It's like Hernandez in the Champions League final, only worse.

However, when he gets involved much deeper, you can still see there's something there. Technically he's still pretty good on the ball, has a good touch and he can pick a pass. These are things that you either have it or you don't, and Torres still has it to be fair to him.

Will Absolute

I've watched most of Chelsea's games this season and my take on Torres is that he could be much better in a system that would allow him to have another striker to play off of.

When he's playing as the lone target man like Drogba last season in the Champions League, he's as useless as a huge cock on a paraplegic. He's annonymous and Chelsea supporters aren't exaggerating when they say it's 10v11. It's like Hernandez in the Champions League final, only worse.

However, when he gets involved much deeper, you can still see there's something there. Technically he's still pretty good on the ball, has a good touch and he can pick a pass. These are things that you either have it or you don't, and Torres still has it to be fair to him.
Tasteful.

Strange how one poor decision can derail a player's career. If he had come to us instead of Liverpool...

Ekeke

Torres still does a bit for the team but barely more than Ba imo, and less than a lot of strikers like RVP. He just looks slow to react to balls coming to him and he looks like he anticipates missing all his chances.

We've heard for ages how he just needs a goal or two to get his confidence back, but hes scored them and gone back to being terrible. Its very concerning for him. I think his best shot is to go to another league for a modest fee and try to rebuild his reputation at a Uefa cup team in Spain, Germany or Italy.

Guy Incognito

And people were saying in the summer that he was going to tear the PL up this season with the new arrivals supporting him, please.
Every time he goes on a "scoring streak", the press declare he's back, only for him to go quiet again. Perhaps it's a mental issue.

Chelsea should probably write off that transfer fee.

Cold_Boy

Him and Ronaldinho, seriously have never seen such superb players turn shit so suddenly.

It wasn't even a gradual demise. It was all sudden loss of not only commitment but also ability somehow.

Justin

Him and Ronaldinho, seriously have never seen such superb players turn shit so suddenly.

It wasn't even a gradual demise. It was all sudden loss of not only commitment but also ability somehow.
Both have had injury issues.

Moultz

Its 4 years.

When we played Chelsea at home and his missed that open net I remember i was listening to the game on the radio and that had Lou Macari on the show. All of the journo's and pundits talking thru Torres' ability and where they ranked him at the time in world football.

Everyone defended Torres with the whole class is perm and form is temp bullshit. Lou however was very much against Torres and believed he wasn't anything special. Fair to say they slated him for such comments. I hope he remembers that show and looks back at how right he was!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Ronaldinho didn't turn to shit, he just gave up giving a feck. Won everything lost motivation. Had it back there for a while and did enough to scare the bejeebus out of me for that game against Milan, but got shut out and hasn't been the same since.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
These are things that Torres has never had. He thrived off playing up top on his own for Liverpool because he didn't have to get involved in the build-up and his inconsistent and often heavy touch didn't matter as much because he was inevitably in loads of space as he worked the channels. Only Demba Ba and the two keepers have a worse passing % than Torres and you see him mess up the simplest of passes game after game - that's how he's always been.

I think Mata, Oscar and Hazard have all been guilty of being too individualistic on a lot of occasions and have completely ignored him when he's free at the back post for a simple tap-in which only inevitably adds to the frustration, but everything else is down to Torres. He lacks that explosive pace, dribbling and strike he showed at Liverpool that made him a top striker but on top of that he consistently looks bereft of confidence, misses plenty of easy chances and constantly surrenders possession far too easily, he really is one of the worst strikers in the league at the moment. I think if he moves to a Europa League team in Spain or Italy you'll see him get a bit of confidence back in a more accommodating atmosphere and he'll go back to being one of the better strikers in the league, but I think he's lost that explosiveness that made him a top striker.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He did lose his pace due to injuries, but what's more obvious to me is him losing that killer instict he used to have.

While in Liverpool shirt he would shoot on sight, no matter how tight was the angle, or how small chances were for the ball to go in he would still try to shoot, right or left foot, try to suprise keeper. Nowdays he needs extra sec to adjust himself to "right" position which gives enought time for keeper to react better or defender to close him down.

Was superb while in prime, but now he looks like he never actually played any serious football.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's all about confidence though, the same thing happened with Forlan while he was here. Once he felt a bit less pressure at Villareal he was banging them in from all angles. Torres' crazy volley v Blackburn is the kind of thing you try when you're feeling right on top of your game.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He won't get confidence back by being most obvious striker ever with his attemps.

That's something that Benitez should pay more attention to, encourge him to
try to take more attemps on goal, but instead of that he praises him almost everytime for his "overall" play, "great" defending by striker and such bollocks. His job is to score goals, not dance around the field.

He should move back to Spain, like Forlan you've mentioned, and try to find himself environment with less expectations and pressure. Try to enjoy football again and perhaps even score a goal now and then. This Torres now is for laughing purposes only, shame that since he was really great striker once.

Brophs

The One and Only
He should sign for Barca. Then the 'Barca in decline' thread would really kick into gear.