Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNinio

My feeling is that Woody chases galactico signings and at the same time tries to show his bargaining skills when the manager provides him with a target wish list.
With his background focussed more on sponsorship and addressing shareholders, and it seems the blame is pretty much laid at his feet. Man City and even Liverpool show how to do it, have the target, find out the release fee, and basically complete the transaction. Never hear the phrase that we get in our negotiations that the player doesn't match our valuation, who decides that, and basically why?
Anyway, asusume he has done enough globe trotting to gala events, maybe he will surprise and complete a desired signing before the end of the transfer window.
On what evidence though?

We don't have any proof that Ed has ever chased a 'galactico'. We know the papers have linked us with a few, but we don't know if the links were real, and if they were, if they were initiated by the manager or Ed.

He's one of the best in the business at what he does (the commercial side), I just don't see him wanting to waste money on a 'name'. It goes against everything he works for in ensuring the biggest cash flow for United.

Red_toad

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. It's akin to blaming the CEO of Tesco for the check out boy at your local express being rude to you.

They have a whole team beneath them, so if which are trusted to do their jobs, and to employ the correct people beneath them.

Jose chooses the players along with the scouting staff, and Ed buys them.

In reality we have no idea at all who any of our targets have been, what prices are really being offered or asked, or how negotiations have gone.

Ed's main job is commercial and he's one of the best in the world at it, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon, and nor should he.

You simply can't blame the Glazers for the squad, they don't choose the targets or how much we'll spend on them, they have no part in the negotiations. They simply set a limit of spending for each year, which as pointed out is a very healthy amount
So you're comparing Woodward and whoever is in charge of the team to a checkout person in Tesco's, yet that's not nonsense :lol:

You do realise Woodward does not have autonomy of who runs everything in the club don't you? His appointments need approval. If he's not up to being a Director of Football role, then his role should be addressed by the owners. Just like Van Gaal and Moyes were addressed a little too late.

MadMike

Was never leaving Italy, so unless he was moving the club there, it was never going to happen.
Whatever, the point still stands. He bought CBs but didn’t buy well enough and didn’t put up for sale the players he should have. So if he’s still not happy with his CB situation, then the problem is of his making now and he can’t blame the squad he inherited.

We’re in a situation where we have 5 senior CBs and two youth ones. He’s gonna have to sell before he can buy, if he wants to buy. One of Rojo, Jones will need to be moved on, if not both.

Crashoutcassius

this reminds me very much of all the other windows

Press have absolutely no clue what we are doing. I remember the quiet last summer. We had Fred agreed months ago and well telegraphed but then all the deals are being done very discreetly. Press will latch onto anything and I would guess we are feeding them Maguire a bit like we fed them Morata last year, with all those same outlets posting stories all together about something that wasn't happening. Not saying Maguire isn't happening, but I am saying that United leaking that we are going to bid 65m for him... doesn't make any sense or fit that MO.

I'm very comfortable. Mourinho moaning about preparation is standard mourinho, he did it all the other summers when deals got done.

Alex Sandro might not happen but not a big deal he can't even get in brazil squad. LB might not happen either. But nothing so far says that this is any different to any other summer, confident that we will get the final deal or 2 done that Mourinho wants. Yes we missed one last year and it ended up opening the door to get Sanchez on a free so not a big deal.

We have no clue what Mourinho's priorities are so hard to predict what might get done. Most important thing is that we have an under achieving squad already that Mourinho needs to get more from - self help will get us a lot lot further than any signings this summer

Craig Ward

• He renewed Rojo’s contract
  • He signed Lindelof who’s also not good enough
  • He didn’t sell Jones.
  • He signed one potentially good but actually injury prone defender (Bailly)
I’m sorry but the state of the defence is really on Mourinho. He inherited one decent CB in Smalling (who’s not injury prone, wtf) and signed two more. If he’s not happy with his defence after 3 summer windows it’s on him. He could have bought Bonucci or Maguire for the money he spent on Lindelof.
Agree - Mourinho has been poor in the transfer window for us, especially in defensive.

He's been unhappy with Shaw since day 1, yet he is still here and we have not signed anyone to replace him and rely on Young.

He clearly doesn't fully trust Lindelof despite a big spend, he switches between Smalling/Jones to partner Bailly or Rojo, its all a bit of a mess. We have no defined CB pairing (admit, on times this is due to injury)

For me, if Jose was intent of sorting our defence, we would have signed an experienced CB early on, and got rid of the players he didn't really rate. Our out-goings from his 1st season should have been: Jones/Smalling/Rojo/Blind/Darmian/Shaw with replacements being brought in.

We are into his 3rd season and practically have the same defence................I don't see any progression in our defence, just the same old questions.......much like our RW

LordNinio

So you're comparing Woodward and whoever is in charge of the team to a checkout person in Tesco's, yet that's not nonsense :lol:

You do realise Woodward does not have autonomy of who runs everything in the club don't you? His appointments need approval. If he's not up to being a Director of Football role, then his role should be addressed by the owners. Just like Van Gaal and Moyes were addressed a little too late.

Have you never heard of an example?

Manchester United is a huge club, with thousands of employees, they are not all answerable to the Glazers directly.

Obviously Ed will have more contact than most. The point is, he carries out his commercial responsibilities impeccably, and realistically not a single one of us knows how well he operates in the transfer market. We aren't privy to what the targets are, not really, and we don't know what the asking prices are, or how any of the negotiations have been going.

You're blaming the glazers for everything, when the club is a huge machine, that we know very little about the internal workings of.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Press have absolutely no clue what we are doing. I remember the quiet last summer. We had Fred agreed months ago and well telegraphed but then all the deals are being done very discreetly. Press will latch onto anything and I would guess we are feeding them Maguire a bit like we fed them Morata last year, with all those same outlets posting stories all together about something that wasn't happening. Not saying Maguire isn't happening, but I am saying that United leaking that we are going to bid 65m for him... doesn't make any sense or fit that MO.

I'm very comfortable. Mourinho moaning about preparation is standard mourinho, he did it all the other summers when deals got done.

Alex Sandro might not happen but not a big deal he can't even get in brazil squad. LB might not happen either. But nothing so far says that this is any different to any other summer, confident that we will get the final deal or 2 done that Mourinho wants. Yes we missed one last year and it ended up opening the door to get Sanchez on a free so not a big deal.

We have no clue what Mourinho's priorities are so hard to predict what might get done. Most important thing is that we have an under achieving squad already that Mourinho needs to get more from - self help will get us a lot lot further than any signings this summer
I think if Jose was a bit more upbeat and optimistic then it would help fans mood, but he has come across more miserable than usual, so unfortunately fans read what they want into it. We have two weeks to do business. If Jose is not happy with his squad it could get ugly if he starts lashing out at everyone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agree - Mourinho has been poor in the transfer window for us, especially in defensive.

He's been unhappy with Shaw since day 1, yet he is still here and we have not signed anyone to replace him and rely on Young.

He clearly doesn't fully trust Lindelof despite a big spend, he switches between Smalling/Jones to partner Bailly or Rojo, its all a bit of a mess. We have no defined CB pairing (admit, on times this is due to injury)

For me, if Jose was intent of sorting our defence, we would have signed an experienced CB early on, and got rid of the players he didn't really rate. Our out-goings from his 1st season should have been: Jones/Smalling/Rojo/Blind/Darmian/Shaw with replacements being brought in.

We are into his 3rd season and practically have the same defence................I don't see any progression in our defence, just the same old questions.......much like our RW
Do you think adding yet another CB might make him even more befuddled as to what are his best options? The other problem he has is that there are also only two weeks to shift players out. Yes anyone going abroad is fine, but some of our players will want to go to English clubs.

ArjenIsM3

I think if Jose was a bit more upbeat and optimistic then it would help fans mood, but he has come across more miserable than usual, so unfortunately fans read what they want into it. We have two weeks to do business. If Jose is not happy with his squad it could get ugly if he starts lashing out at everyone.
Except all Jose has been saying is he's not happy that he's missing such a large part of his squad for pre-season. He hasn't said he's not happy with his squad in general, which is a huge difference. Fans reading too much into that is on them. Muppets.

LonelyFire

There is a lot of truth in what you’re saying but if you think Mourinho is comfortable with the current state of affairs with regards to the playing squad then I’d wager you are mistaken. This team finished 20 points off first place last season and the deficiencies from then still exist now. There is no way Mourinho planned to be in a position of still requiring significant addition(s) this close to end of the window. Something isn’t right.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Except all Jose has been saying is he's not happy that he's missing such a large part of his squad for pre-season. He hasn't said he's not happy with his squad in general, which is a huge difference. Fans reading too much into that is on them. Muppets.
I’m not sure if you can put the blame entirely at the doorstep of fans. Like it or not, if you look to our main rivals there are clear reasons why their fan bases are optimistic, and ours aren’t. Liverpool have developed an exciting brand of football and have brought in serious talent in key areas, City are building off a wonderful league campaign, and Chelsea and Arsenal (although no certainty for success) have much needed new chapters to look forward to. Even Spurs can take faith in their manager developing their best young players with or without significant summer investment.

For us, it’s all just feeling a little bit inevitable really isn’t it? We all know the style of football we’ll play, effective but boring. We all know which players will likely be frozen out/not given opportunities in natural positions. We all know which players will get more game time than they probably deserve. And we all know which areas of the squad need overhauling. It just feels like Groundhog Day. It’s not a terrible thing, on paper we’ve achieved a fair amount of progress under Jose. Unfortunately, seasons have to be experienced rather than witnessed in hindsight from review tables and charts. And these experiences have the very real potential of being pretty fecking dire.

Craig Ward

Do you think adding yet another CB might make him even more befuddled as to what are his best options? The other problem he has is that there are also only two weeks to shift players out. Yes anyone going abroad is fine, but some of our players will want to go to English clubs.
Jose has had 2 seasons to ship out those he doesn't want..................we've got a lot (not just cb's I may add) that are not in his plans

And yes, If Jose signed a CB he really wanted AND got rid of some of the current one's, then I believe he would be happier and start to play a more settled pairing.

cloyton

Agree with a lot of posts in here. If Jose just showed just the smallest bit of happiness with his job & with the fans I dont think it would be as gloom and doom in here.

Still though, worrying we're 2 weeks away from the season still needing a CB,LB,RW & potentially another Striker if Martial Leaves (which I fully expect him to do).

settembrini

More leaks coming out this morning. In the last half hour the Mail, MEN, Telegraph, Guardian, Mirror and Express have all run similar stories that United will sell Martial if he wants to leave and they get a good offer.

NJM78

Chris Smalling played 46 games last season; he also played 55 in van Gaal's last season and missed games during the season in-between more due to Mourinho not choosing him than because of injuries.
Smalling counts as half a player because he cannot pass and likes to tackle with his arms.

Deechii

Jose Mourinho: "We are not a team. We're a group of players from different teams."

On transfers : "One thing is what I want and another thing is what is going to happen,"

This is worrying.

Judas

Open to offers
Would be amazed if we sold Martial at this point in the window without having someone coming in. It would take a mega offer, and no ones daft enough to do that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We need players who want to play for us. If Martial wants to go then just get out.

We will get somebody for the short term though and get someone better later.

Tiber

Jose's moronic plan to sell Martial so he can sign a 30 year old Perisic is full steam ahead

Member 90887

Jose's moronic plan to sell Martial so he can sign a 30 year old Perisic is full steam ahead
So, you are bashing Jose because of an article in the telegraph while he said yesterday that you don't always have what you want in your life re Martial.

But it's a good occasion to call him moronic so why not.

Member 90887

We need players who want to play for us. If Martial wants to go then just get out.

We will get somebody for the short term though and get someone better later.
Exactly, i'm just getting tired of all this Martial story. if he wants to stay, bey all means, we all know what he can do. if he doesn't want to, just sell as soon as possible and buy a replacement.

Tiber

So, you are bashing Jose because of an article in the telegraph while he said yesterday that you don't always have what you want in your life re Martial.

But it's a good occasion to call him moronic so why not.

Jose can say what he wants. His actions towards Martial since the day he arrived mean much more.

I have defended him in the past, but there is no need to find Telegraph articles to bash him this summer. Unless something huge changes in the next 2 weeks we will be lucly to stay in the top 4

IrishRedDevil

Jose Mourinho: "We are not a team. We're a group of players from different teams."

On transfers : "One thing is what I want and another thing is what is going to happen,"

This is worrying.
Two concerning quotes.
Jose saying that after coaching the players for 2 years is my biggest concern.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Two concerning quotes.
First quote is out of context surely? He is on about the group that is on tour. It's a mish mash of senior team and u18s. He obviously has major concerns his transfer plans are not working out. It sounds shit but he is right, the tour is worthless if it doesnt involve more of the players he wants/needs for Leicester game.

JohnZSmith27

First quote is out of context surely? He is on about the group that is on tour. It's a mish mash of senior team and u18s. He obviously has major concerns his transfer plans are not working out. It sounds shit but he is right, the tour is worthless if it doesnt involve more of the players he wants/needs for Leicester game.
Agreed. He even says so in the full quotes. It's a mix of first team, u23s, u18s etc. The press just twist it into something else.

The second quote is worrying though. Still over 2 weeks left though so I'm not panicking just yet.

Member 90887

Two concerning quotes.
Out of context.

He is talking about the fact that the actual squad, the one that went to the US have never played together and that he's missing players due to the world cup.

Member 90887

Agreed. He even says so in the full quotes. It's a mix of first team, u23s, u18s etc. The press just twist it into something else.

The second quote is worrying though. Still over 2 weeks left though so I'm not panicking just yet.
It's weird yeah, it looks like the board is not backing him enough. At the same time, since Woodward have been in charge, we were never shy of spending.

I don't get what's happening. Could it be that the targets Jose wants and what the board is ready to pay for are differents?

Status
Not open for further replies.