g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Fully agree with your views man. I think he’s good but not one of the best. I wish we’d spent the £80m some other way. I get really nervous when I see him having to deal with a tough situation as I feel there’s a blunder waiting to happen. I also expected a few more goals from him this season.

Like Ole, I’m going to reserve my judgements about Maguire until the end of next season. I feel like maybeeee he might improve next season and just needed time to settle in at United where the pressure is much more intense and hence why he choked so often.
I think he has been ok in the main. Though at the price I wouldnt have signed him personally, I think with a quality partner next to him he is fine as the second centre back with upcoming competition from Tuanzabe/Menghi. I wouldnt feel confident next to Lindelof thats all I can say there

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Expanding on the Ferran Torres situation:

Translation:
Notice from Cadena SER:
Man. City are looking to close Ferran Torres' transfer soon
Negotiations are at an advanced stage
Total agreement between Ferran Torres & City
More info at 3:20
Extra key info from the linked article:
To lower the costs, City are looking for a part-exchange by sending Yangel Herrera the other way. Valencia & City are still negotiating the terms of Yangel's transfer. City want 15 million Euros, but Valencia want to take him on loan first given their worsening finances due to the pandemic.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
'A purge'

That's exciting innit :D:devil:

EDIT: It's behind a paywall... can anyone give us the jist?

jesperjaap

Another one who has fell into the Chelsea trap on transfers. They are making up for a transfer ban and 150m from hazard n Morata on top of that. We've signed Maguire, Bruno, AWB etc since they did anything. You can't honestly think we can match them in the window this summer. Nobody will.
As good as he was as a player, never liked Lampard as a player for how he messed up what should have been a fantastic England side with the partnership of Gerrard/Scholes. Erikson and Capello fitting Lampard in ruined that.

I have to say as a manager so far both at Derby and Chelsea I have been very impressed with his press conferences and how he sets up his teams. Sounds ironic but I think next season will be a huge test for him if they sign these players being linked with.

All fasntastic players they are being linked with in the right areas.....but integrating them into the side, the offset this may cause with several youngsters that had broken through, in case replaceing players probabyl that have actually done very well for Chelsea for a long period of time such as William and finally the pressure and outlay puts on to Lampard to compete for trophies......not sure signing all these players is as rosey as it looks to some.

jesperjaap

I swear this story like this has come out every year for the past 4-5 years and nothing happens.
Agree, we may have put out big fees but in terms of numbers in and out, we really havent done enough in any single window for several years now wich is a reason why progress has been slow. For me only two windows being the Pogba one and Solksjears lsat summer did we sign the right profile of players though not enough of them (even though neither window would all of the incoming been my first choices for half the areas)

TheLord

Not seen much of him since Spanish football left sky so dont know how he has progressed really, but looks a fantastic defender to me, reminds me of a younger Chellini
He has a lot of potential but has a very injury-prone body. He spent nearly half this season, nursing different types of injuries in separate parts of the body!

croadyman

Agree, we may have put out big fees but in terms of numbers in and out, we really havent done enough in any single window for several years now wich is a reason why progress has been slow. For me only two windows being the Pogba one and Solksjears lsat summer did we sign the right profile of players though not enough of them (even though neither window would all of the incoming been my first choices for half the areas)
That is absolutely spot on

dev1l

I swear this story like this has come out every year for the past 4-5 years and nothing happens.
Any suitors for our players aren't prepared to pay as much as we do. So the only way to get rid of certain players is to let them run their contract down.
However tbf in the last two seasons we saw various players leaving: Darmian, Herrera, Ashley Young, Fellaini, Lukaku and Valencia while Smalling and Sanchez were sent on loan.

My impression is that we prefer not to let players leave on a free for financial/accounting purposes. But I stand to be corrected on this

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But Ole has already started the 'purge'. He's already started to get rid of the deadwood, and I can imagine he'll continue ding so when the window opens.
The run up to last summer, there was stories of a purge, which were then dialed back after the market opened to say we need to take a more measured approach. Probably as we found it difficult to shift some players.
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened again, no doubt that Ole and team are working to shift deadwood, but we have always found it difficult to find takers.

Bojan11

The run up to last summer, there was stories of a purge, which were then dialed back after the market opened to say we need to take a more measured approach. Probably as we found it difficult to shift some players.
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened again, no doubt that Ole and team are working to shift deadwood, but we have always found it difficult to find takers.
Exactly. People forgotten after the Everton game where Ole said we won’t see a lot of these players again. Smalling and Lukaku were the only ones who left that summer. Young left in January, but Ole wanted to keep him.

Walters_19_MuFc

To be fair, as you said, we have always found it hard to shift players, but Ole has gotten rid of 12 players since he's been here. Granted some of those are on loan, I can't imagine any of those players will put on a United shirt again, so he has got the ball rolling, so to speak.

I can only imagine that another few players will be going this summer, too.

Acquire Me

But Ole has already started the 'purge'. He's already started to get rid of the deadwood, and I can imagine he'll continue ding so when the window opens.
I think we should be able to clear out Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Even Alexis should be possible. He has been great after the reboot.

Walters_19_MuFc

Exactly. People forgotten after the Everton game where Ole said we won’t see a lot of these players again. Smalling and Lukaku were the only ones who left that summer. Young left in January, but Ole wanted to keep him.
The team that day was as follows:

Rashford Martial Lukaku
Pogba Matic Fred
Dalot Jones Smalling Lindelof
De Gea

Yes, only Smalling and Lukaku have gone, but Jones and Dalot have hardly featured (no doubt they'll be going this season), and the other players have impressed this season.

Sometimes managers say things based on emotions, but 6 players in that starting XI are more or less regulars for us this season and I think on the whole, we've done pretty well.

croadyman

Any suitors for our players aren't prepared to pay as much as we do. So the only way to get rid of certain players is to let them run their contract down.
However tbf in the last two seasons we saw various players leaving: Darmian, Herrera, Ashley Young, Fellaini, Lukaku and Valencia while Smalling and Sanchez were sent on loan.

My impression is that we prefer not to let players leave on a free for financial/accounting purposes. But I stand to be corrected on this
Yeah there is no doubt that we massively overpay players and this is why we have this deadwood on ridiculous wages a week and means it is hard to shift them on to another club.

Rauður Djöfull

'A purge'

That's exciting innit :D:devil:

EDIT: It's behind a paywall... can anyone give us the jist?

Someone posted the article on reddit:

The message to Manchester United’s board should have been ringing loud and clear in recent weeks but if they were in any doubt about how Ole Gunnar Solskjaer really feels about the make-up of his squad, all the evidence was there against West Ham at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

United had got back on level terms soon after the restart thanks to the latest piece of artistry from Mason Greenwood but, as the second half wore on, fatigue took root and a lethargic team was screaming out for fresh legs in search of a winner, Solskjaer did nothing.

The ineffectual Timothy Fosu-Mensah had made way for Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back at half-time but it was not until the 85th minute that Odion Ighalo was introduced for Marcus Rashford, who still appeared to be feeling the acute after-effects of Sunday’s miserable FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea, when he spent the majority of the game chasing shadows.

Solskjaer’s critics may view such inaction as another indication that the United manager has no Plan B. Others will regard it as further proof of just how thin United’s squad is, and recognition that Solskjaer’s trust does not extend very far beyond the first XI he has been flogging for weeks. If ever Solskjaer was telling his paymasters that he needs more players, and better players, it was here. Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Daniel James were all on the bench, and stayed there, and Solskjaer’s post-match assessment was revealing.

“We wanted to have goalscorers out there and score goals,” he said. “We know Bruno [Fernandes], Paul [Pogba], Mason, Anthony [Martial], they can create a goal in any second, Marcus as well. We wanted to win the game, of course, it would have been nice to go into Sunday with a win but we are where we are.”

No matter that all of that quintet, with the probable exception of Greenwood, looked pretty shot against West Ham as the game limped to a close, and will have to do it all again on Sunday, when a point at Leicester City will be enough to guarantee Champions League qualification. Solskjaer has entrusted a select few to get his team over the line and there has been no wavering from that, even if he must be craving more quality options to supplement those exhausted bodies.

The danger, of course, is that United clinch a top-four spot, and perhaps win the Europa League next month, and the club’s hierarchy underestimate just how much this squad still needs to get into a position to realistically challenge for the title again. That, or United’s finances in this Covid-19 climate, do not stretch very far beyond a costly bid for the Borussia Dortmund and England winger Jadon Sancho, unless additional funds can be raised through sales.

Solskjaer and his assistant, Mike Phelan, felt United needed nine new players when they took over permanently and, 16 months on, little has changed. They have got four in but still need another five - a right winger, striker, midfielder, centre-half and probably another full-back, too, when you consider how Luke Shaw’s injury has left them looking particularly light in that area. And that is assuming the goalkeeper conundrum can be resolved from within the resources the club already has. David De Gea’s reaction against West Ham to his calamitous showing at Wembley was impressive but whether he can cut out these lapses over the longer-term remains to be seen at a time when Sergio Romero and Dean Henderson are knocking on the door.

Fernandes has played all bar 61 minutes of United’s eight Premier League matches in the month since the restart, plus all 210 minutes of the FA Cup ties against Norwich and Chelsea, and the heavy workload has started to take a toll. But Solskjaer does not have another playmaker he trusts to call upon. Despite the allowance for nine substitutes now, Wednesday was only the third league squad Lingard has made since lockdown and Mata has played just 20 minutes in the league over that time. Any notion that United do not need another creative midfielder is entirely misplaced.

Rashford has missed just 37 minutes of Premier League football in the past month, Martial only 55 minutes. And since coming on as second-half substitutes in the first game back against Tottenham on June 19, Pogba, Greenwood and Nemanja Matic have missed just 63, 70 and 110 minutes of league football respectively. And in the case of the one league game Matic has not started since Spurs, Solskjaer could not wait to get the Serb on the pitch against Crystal Palace.

Contrast these statistics to other members of the squad: James has played 54 minutes of league football since starting and being substituted against Tottenham, Fred has made one league start, and Andreas Pereira has been nowhere to be seen. Even Scott McTominay, whom Solskjaer does trust and who can count himself unfortunate not to have played more, cannot get a look in. As for the lesser-spotted Diogo Dalot, forget it.

Solskjaer has been forming judgements for some time but the dismal performances by many of his fringe players in the narrow 2-1 FA Cup quarter-final win against Norwich clearly seem to have hardened opinions and some of the stand-ins did little to burnish their reputations against Chelsea. It cannot be easy coming in from the cold, and Fred - who benefited from a sustained run of games earlier in the season in the absence of the injured Pogba and McTominay - looked woefully undercooked at Wembley. Yet it is hard to see how some of the players are going to get the game-time they need to at least get to a level where Solskjaer feels comfortable playing them.

Solskjaer has chosen his words very carefully in public and that has been to his credit but he has demonstrated a ruthless streak in the way he decisively discarded the likes of Marouane Fellaini, Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez, and his recent team selections only support the view that there is another significant purge to come.

From languishing in 14th position, seven points adrift of fourth, in late October, United have clambered their way up to third with a game to go when, after back-to-back defeats to Liverpool and Burnley in January, they looked spent. They will hope they have just enough left in their legs to finish the job at the King Power Stadium. But, beyond that, this squad still needs significant replenishment, and Solskjaer knows that better than anyone.

Walters_19_MuFc

Someone posted the article on reddit:

The message to Manchester United’s board should have been ringing loud and clear in recent weeks but if they were in any doubt about how Ole Gunnar Solskjaer really feels about the make-up of his squad, all the evidence was there against West Ham at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

United had got back on level terms soon after the restart thanks to the latest piece of artistry from Mason Greenwood but, as the second half wore on, fatigue took root and a lethargic team was screaming out for fresh legs in search of a winner, Solskjaer did nothing.

The ineffectual Timothy Fosu-Mensah had made way for Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back at half-time but it was not until the 85th minute that Odion Ighalo was introduced for Marcus Rashford, who still appeared to be feeling the acute after-effects of Sunday’s miserable FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea, when he spent the majority of the game chasing shadows.

Solskjaer’s critics may view such inaction as another indication that the United manager has no Plan B. Others will regard it as further proof of just how thin United’s squad is, and recognition that Solskjaer’s trust does not extend very far beyond the first XI he has been flogging for weeks. If ever Solskjaer was telling his paymasters that he needs more players, and better players, it was here. Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Daniel James were all on the bench, and stayed there, and Solskjaer’s post-match assessment was revealing.

“We wanted to have goalscorers out there and score goals,” he said. “We know Bruno [Fernandes], Paul [Pogba], Mason, Anthony [Martial], they can create a goal in any second, Marcus as well. We wanted to win the game, of course, it would have been nice to go into Sunday with a win but we are where we are.”

No matter that all of that quintet, with the probable exception of Greenwood, looked pretty shot against West Ham as the game limped to a close, and will have to do it all again on Sunday, when a point at Leicester City will be enough to guarantee Champions League qualification. Solskjaer has entrusted a select few to get his team over the line and there has been no wavering from that, even if he must be craving more quality options to supplement those exhausted bodies.

The danger, of course, is that United clinch a top-four spot, and perhaps win the Europa League next month, and the club’s hierarchy underestimate just how much this squad still needs to get into a position to realistically challenge for the title again. That, or United’s finances in this Covid-19 climate, do not stretch very far beyond a costly bid for the Borussia Dortmund and England winger Jadon Sancho, unless additional funds can be raised through sales.

Solskjaer and his assistant, Mike Phelan, felt United needed nine new players when they took over permanently and, 16 months on, little has changed. They have got four in but still need another five - a right winger, striker, midfielder, centre-half and probably another full-back, too, when you consider how Luke Shaw’s injury has left them looking particularly light in that area. And that is assuming the goalkeeper conundrum can be resolved from within the resources the club already has. David De Gea’s reaction against West Ham to his calamitous showing at Wembley was impressive but whether he can cut out these lapses over the longer-term remains to be seen at a time when Sergio Romero and Dean Henderson are knocking on the door.

Fernandes has played all bar 61 minutes of United’s eight Premier League matches in the month since the restart, plus all 210 minutes of the FA Cup ties against Norwich and Chelsea, and the heavy workload has started to take a toll. But Solskjaer does not have another playmaker he trusts to call upon. Despite the allowance for nine substitutes now, Wednesday was only the third league squad Lingard has made since lockdown and Mata has played just 20 minutes in the league over that time. Any notion that United do not need another creative midfielder is entirely misplaced.

Rashford has missed just 37 minutes of Premier League football in the past month, Martial only 55 minutes. And since coming on as second-half substitutes in the first game back against Tottenham on June 19, Pogba, Greenwood and Nemanja Matic have missed just 63, 70 and 110 minutes of league football respectively. And in the case of the one league game Matic has not started since Spurs, Solskjaer could not wait to get the Serb on the pitch against Crystal Palace.

Contrast these statistics to other members of the squad: James has played 54 minutes of league football since starting and being substituted against Tottenham, Fred has made one league start, and Andreas Pereira has been nowhere to be seen. Even Scott McTominay, whom Solskjaer does trust and who can count himself unfortunate not to have played more, cannot get a look in. As for the lesser-spotted Diogo Dalot, forget it.

Solskjaer has been forming judgements for some time but the dismal performances by many of his fringe players in the narrow 2-1 FA Cup quarter-final win against Norwich clearly seem to have hardened opinions and some of the stand-ins did little to burnish their reputations against Chelsea. It cannot be easy coming in from the cold, and Fred - who benefited from a sustained run of games earlier in the season in the absence of the injured Pogba and McTominay - looked woefully undercooked at Wembley. Yet it is hard to see how some of the players are going to get the game-time they need to at least get to a level where Solskjaer feels comfortable playing them.

Solskjaer has chosen his words very carefully in public and that has been to his credit but he has demonstrated a ruthless streak in the way he decisively discarded the likes of Marouane Fellaini, Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez, and his recent team selections only support the view that there is another significant purge to come.

From languishing in 14th position, seven points adrift of fourth, in late October, United have clambered their way up to third with a game to go when, after back-to-back defeats to Liverpool and Burnley in January, they looked spent. They will hope they have just enough left in their legs to finish the job at the King Power Stadium. But, beyond that, this squad still needs significant replenishment, and Solskjaer knows that better than anyone.
Good read. Cheers for that!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Really can't be arsed seeing these sort of transfer tweets about us all the time. They're always about our intentions and very laid back about our interest in certain players. It's fecking depressing when you see Chelsea just go out and instantly improve their team, and we're constantly just interested in someone but end up with nish

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve been saying similar since joining the Caf.

The fanbase get wowed by the customary big money, late in the window signing but we actually don’t get enough work done.

Its poorly managed transfer window after poorly managed transfer window. We employ full time scouts & part of Woodward’s job is to deal with transfers; we seem to wait for the window to open then get to work.

United58

I’ve been saying similar since joining the Caf.

The fanbase get wowed by the customary big money, late in the window signing but we actually don’t get enough work done.

Its poorly managed transfer window after poorly managed transfer window. We employ full time scouts & part of Woodward’s job is to deal with transfers; we seem to wait for the window to open then get to work.
I agree with this but to be fair, last window we bought players for positions (RB and CB) that desperately needed strengthening. Don't think Maguire was worth anywhere near £80m but it was a massive improvement on whatever the previous three managers were trying to do.

This summer, we seem to be after a RW (Sancho). Add that and some depth and it's another step. Not the finished product, but we're very young and thanks to the Glazers don't get as much to spend as is needed. We have a lot of shit (Jones, Rojo, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez) to ship off too, and have already thrown a lot out (Fellaini, Darmian, Lukaku).

Status
Not open for further replies.