Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronRedDevil

I knew it! I said it in another post that united won't be spending much and are probabaly counting on Pogba and Lukaku sales to fund the others. I bloody knew it. No wonder it's taking so long to pay 50 measly million to buy a right back.

VanGaalyTime

I would be with you on it if we had spent less than 4 other clubs. But Arsenal and Spurs can only dream of the kind of spending we have done the past 6 years.
The difference is Spurs already have actual world class players. They had a structure in place that led to the development of guys like Kane and the scouting and buying of underrated young players like Son and Ali. They've also got an owner who has just bought them a 1 billion pound stadium. It's a fair point about Arsenal, but again their scouting is superior. I'd trust the guy that found Torreira for 15m more than the guy who thought Fred was worth 54m.

Fox outside the box

If the plan at the club is to buy young players with a view to building success over several seasons then I'm all for it.

Ideally we go out Bayern style and buy up the best young players from mid-table sides (yes mid-table just like us before anyone starts) and do this 2-3 players per summer for the next 5 years. Each time we identify our 2-3 weakest positions and target players for those.

I fear for those of you who are looking for United to be challenging next season and think that this can be achieved by signing 6-7 players now for 50-70 million each like Madrid are doing. With this model of spending on superstars there is expectation from day 1 to be winning things. We've seen that this almost never happens, especially in England. Even with huge spending like Chelsea and City did, it usually takes at least a season for the team to gel.

This is all just my opinion and if all you want to reply with is calling me an idiot then please don't bother. Been watching united for the best part of 37 years and I'm completely happy to wait if it means we end up with a team of players I can like again. Last season McTominay, Lindelof and Shaw were the only players who I didn't feel I wanted out of the club at some stage last season.
Completely agree. Anyone hoping for an instant fix is just setting themselves up to be disappointed. The sensible thing is to properly regroup, organise and have a plan to take into the next few years. When Madrid had Beckham, Figo, Ronaldo etc, they won what? One title? We tried to bring a load in at once with Di Maria etc and unless it all clicks, we end up as we have been. We've spent money, some signings haven't worked out, some managers haven't worked out as well and we're left with pockets of different players and styles.

Going the route of a young, British core and building together makes sense. It isn't some anti foreigner thing either before anyone starts, obviously you'll supplement your squad with certain talent, regardless of where they're from but we seem to have a fairly divided, awkward squad. Having a team whose core all actually gets on, have similar backgrounds and cultures etc will give us an important nucleus. My impression is the club currently is a little cliquey. Different pockets of ages and backgrounds, languages and influences etc. We seemingly have very little cohesion on the pitch and it makes sense.

Having the likes of awb, rashford, Lingard, Sancho etc, that profile of player will give us a nucleus of players who (hopefully) get on, enjoy playing together and bring some unity to the dressing room. It just seems too fractured and although certain players are talented, it's just ended up being a bit of.a mess.

ArjenIsM3

If we only have 100m then why arent we going for those cheap options?
  • Meunier - 25m
  • Tielemans - 40m
  • Rabiot - 0m
  • Alderweireld - 25m
  • Daniel James - 15m
105m right there for 5 players... Not sure if I believe the report. It's probably just an excuse when we fail to get anywhere close to what we wanted, though it's one that doesnt actually make us look better.
We've been linked with all of the above and bought one of them. So we are going for them. That doesn't mean we'll get them though as this isn't footy manager and for example Rabiot would probably prefer Juventus to us and Alderweireld could very well sit out his contract at Spurs to get an even bigger paycheck next year.

GBBQ

Typically if you dont have money you dont go and waste what you do have so I think your view is deeply flawed
50 mil plus on AWB isn;t wasting money when we have more pressing issues??
Actually makes a lot of sense. 15m for James, 25m for Longstaff, 50m for AWB is three positions potentially sorted for 90m. Also, factor in that we've actually only spent 15m as it is.
2 speculative signings will not make up for the squad issues we have. And for all their issues Glazers tend to invest in the team for a new manager or if we've missed on on CL. Basically people losing their shit over a single source making a dubious claim.
Bale isn't a cheap alternative. It's similar logic that means people think Sanchez came for 'free' when really he was effectively a £100m+ signing when you factor in wages, signing on fee, agent fee etc.

Getting Bale in for one season would probably cost more than what Daniel James will over 4.
No doubt he wouldn't be cheap for the overall outlay but given we have space in wages without (at least) Fellaini and Herrera the impact to our financials wouldn't be as impacted as spending 50 mil+ on a right winger and paying top dollar. Not saying we should be going for him, just that the fact we are outwardly saying we're not interested doesn't sound like we need to be clever with our investment.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Completely agree. Anyone hoping for an instant fix is just setting themselves up to be disappointed. The sensible thing is to properly regroup, organise and have a plan to take into the next few years. When Madrid had Beckham, Figo, Ronaldo etc, they won what? One title? We tried to bring a load in at once with Di Maria etc and unless it all clicks, we end up as we have been. We've spent money, some signings haven't worked out, some managers haven't worked out as well and we're left with pockets of different players and styles.

Going the route of a young, British core and building together makes sense. It isn't some anti foreigner thing either before anyone starts, obviously you'll supplement your squad with certain talent, regardless of where they're from but we seem to have a fairly divided, awkward squad. Having a team whose core all actually gets on, have similar backgrounds and cultures etc will give us an important nucleus. My impression is the club currently is a little cliquey. Different pockets of ages and backgrounds, languages and influences etc. We seemingly have very little cohesion on the pitch and it makes sense.

Having the likes of awb, rashford, Lingard, Sancho etc, that profile of player will give us a nucleus of players who (hopefully) get on, enjoy playing together and bring some unity to the dressing room. It just seems too fractured and although certain players are talented, it's just ended up being a bit of.a mess.
Good post, and not just because you are agreeing with me :)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We've been linked with all of the above and bought one of them. So we are going for them. That doesn't mean we'll get them though as this isn't footy manager and for example Rabiot would probably prefer Juventus to us and Alderweireld could very well sit out his contract at Spurs to get an even bigger paycheck next year.
Yes but if we did only have 100m, we wouldnt be wasting time with Sancho, de ligt or spending over half our budget on Wan Bissaka since we have a lot of needs. It's a BS excuse preparing for when we fail to get our actual targets and spend something like we did last summer.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Why don't we ever come out & say stuff directly when it comes to transfers. Bayern have a few spokesmen, Juve have this guy, Real & Barca have their presidents, & PSG their chairman. All of whom openly declare their interest/disinterest in a player.

Our silent approach isn't working & is outdated.

lysglimt

Scout
This is not something Ogden knows anything about. Even if it was true - how would he know ? Why would United risk this reaching anyone outside the 5-6 people who are involved ?

But if we ignore the obvious and look at the facts:
Herrera and Valencia have gone - Fellaini has gone. Sanchez will probably go, and if we can get rid of Rojo and Darmian - that would probably clear £750-800.000 in wages each week (then we of course renew some contracts) but we could easily save £10-15 million a year in wages.
If we sell Rojo, Darmian and Lukaku - we could get £60-70 million.

So we could easily have £170 million available for transfers even if Ogden is correct. And if we sign AWB - that would still leave £100 million.

Having said that - I Think there is more Money available for the right players. And signing Young players like AWB etc, will be much easier to justify.

GBBQ

What represents a pressing issue is a matter of opinion
You're talking about wasting money, I think we can all agree the squad needs a lot of investment. if we only have £100 mil then I don't think investing over half of it on a right back is going to get us into the top 4.
Honestly, with Young, Dalot and Darmian as available options right now, the issue is as pressing as it gets.
Agreed, hence why I said Meunier was probably a more sensible option to allow us invest more in key areas. He'd work out at as at least 20 mill less than AWB and we would still have Dalot as the young potential in the squad.

No other reporter has mentioned this but half the caf are all in on this being the truth.

GBBQ

We have more pressing issues than a rightback - when a brilliant one is available on the market ?
I'm just highlighting that the £100 mil claim has to be BS. we're going to spend a world record fee on a right back, thats not what you do if you're under financial restraints.

mkso

I believe the report of 100m is true, it match what Ole said before, we need few transfer windows to rebuild.

Because we have only 100m per season to spend.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why don't we ever come out & say stuff directly when it comes to transfers. Bayern have a few spokesmen, Juve have this guy, Real & Barca have their presidents, & PSG their chairman. All of whom openly declare their interest/disinterest in a player.

Our silent approach isn't working & is outdated.
Lose/lose scenario. If we go out and say we're interested in X player and don't get them then it'd be another stick to beat the club with. The Moyes' window would look even worse than it was, and it was dreadful.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Said it yesterday, cash flow problems
Manchester United does not have a cash flow problem. The club will have a cash flow setback for the 2019/2020 campaign by losing out on CL football. Last year you got around 15 million euro for qualifyiong to the group stages of the CL. For qualifying to the EL group stages you are awarded just under 3 million euro.

The net distribution between the CL and EL are 2~ billion Euro for CL and 585~ million Euro for the Europaleague to be dsitributed to all particiapnts in varying stages of contest and for performance.

Manchester United is a tremendously well run business, something we should all be thankful for. Its this fiscal responsibility that allows us to be able to go out and invest when we need to, without being subject to FFP and other issues that have plagued other clubs.

If we absolutely wanted to, we could cash out Neymars £3 million valuation today. No problem.

The club pr end of the fiscal year 2018 had £425 million pounds in the bank in the form of various source investable equity. This amount moves up and down a few percent every year depending on spendings etc.

It's very likely true that Ole only has £100 million to spend. In cash, upfront today.

What he most likely also has are payment plans, and bonuses that take that budget up to £200 million and beyond. The way sales are usually conducted are by form of: Initial payment, payment plan, case-dependant bonuses (player formance, goals scored, caps, etc). If a club is fiscally sound like Manchester United, the club also has a very strong line of credit. This credit gives us a lot of leeway in terms of offering downpayment plans that span a year, or two, or three for a player that we buy. Sometimes the selling club is more than willing to accomodate. Other times they want more money upfront than we are willing to give.

The key point here is that we never spend over budget. Spending over budget is very risky, and putss the club at a financial risk moving forward. No one wants that. Real Madrid MUST sell this summer to comply with FFP. They are way over their income budget, and must comply with the UEFA regulations. Currently, Real Madrids expenditures outweigh their income, and if left as it is, it could threaten to destabilize the clubs financial structure in the long run.

I wish this was FM where we can just buy players at random and cash out anything we want, but it's not. Its a business thats very well run, even if we don't buy all the players we can find at any given time.

On that note: There will be more signings this pre-season. Bruno Fernandes will likely be landed, same with Wan-Bissaka and a bonafide centre back. Total budget for these players and Daniel James can easily sniff the £200 million mark.

Edit: The sale of players can also very well be factored into the total budget, if the sale of said player was considered safe enough to be worked into an operating budget. But fact of the matter is that no one really knows whats going on.

All we know is that Ed Woodward has said that the manager will receive full backing in the transfer market.

vanderpants

Manchester United does not have a cash flow problem. The club will have a cash flow setback for the 2019/2020 campaign by losing out on CL football. Last year you got around 15 million euro for qualifyiong to the group stages of the CL. For qualifying to the EL group stages you are awarded just under 3 million euro.

The net distribution between the CL and EL are 2~ billion Euro for CL and 585~ million Euro for the Europaleague to be dsitributed to all particiapnts in varying stages of contest and for performance.

Manchester United is a tremendously well run business, something we should all be thankful for. Its this fiscal responsibility that allows us to be able to go out and invest when we need to, without being subject to FFP and other issues that have plagued other clubs.

If we absolutely wanted to, we could cash out Neymars £3 million valuation today. No problem.

The club pr end of the fiscal year 2018 had £425 million pounds in the bank in the form of various source investable equity. This amount moves up and down a few percent every year depending on spendings etc.

It's very likely true that Ole only has £100 million to spend. In cash, upfront today.

What he most likely also has are payment plans, and bonuses that take that budget up to £200 million and beyond. The way sales are usually conducted are by form of: Initial payment, payment plan, case-dependant bonuses (player formance, goals scored, caps, etc). If a club is fiscally sound like Manchester United, the club also has a very strong line of credit. This credit gives us a lot of leeway in terms of offering downpayment plans that span a year, or two, or three for a player that we buy. Sometimes the selling club is more than willing to accomodate. Other times they want more money upfront than we are willing to give.

The key point here is that we never spend over budget. Spending over budget is very risky, and putss the club at a financial risk moving forward. No one wants that. Real Madrid MUST sell this summer to comply with FFP. They are way over their income budget, and must comply with the UEFA regulations. Currently, Real Madrids expenditures outweigh their income, and if left as it is, it could threaten to destabilize the clubs financial structure in the long run.

I wish this was FM where we can just buy players at random and cash out anything we want, but it's not. Its a business thats very well run, even if we don't buy all the players we can find at any given time.

On that note: There will be more signings this pre-season. Bruno Fernandes will likely be landed, same with Wan-Bissaka and a bonafide centre back. Total budget for these players and Daniel James can easily sniff the £200 million mark.
I wish I shared your optimism

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Edit: The sale of players can also very well be factored into the total budget, if the sale of said player was considered safe enough to be worked into an operating budget. But fact of the matter is that no one really knows whats going on.

All we know is that Ed Woodward has said that the manager will receive full backing in the transfer market.
Cash flow may be the wrong wording but we have a shrinkage of budget. Trying to get everything on ‘tick’ is not inspiring for progress.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
"We can do things others can only dream of" or what was that nonsense again?
The club spent >£40 on divided and interest payments last financial year. If you amortize payments, that's like a two £60m signings.
I have always felt they've got to go but this club should be able to spend £150-200m net without much hassle.

VanGaalyTime

What he most likely also has are payment plans, and bonuses that take that budget up to £200 million and beyond
. The way sales are usually conducted are by form of: Initial payment, payment plan, case-dependant bonuses (player formance, goals scored, caps, etc). If a club is fiscally sound like Manchester United, the club also has a very strong line of credit. This credit gives us a lot of leeway in terms of offering downpayment plans that span a year, or two, or three for a player that we buy. Sometimes the selling club is more than willing to accomodate. Other times they want more money upfront than we are willing to give.

If all this is true - how has there only been one transfer window in the last 10 years in which United had a net spend of more than 100m? It's important to compete for the league title next season, and without spending 300m+ and keeping Pogba + De Gea, I'm not sure that happens. Also, on the Real Madrid front - they'll be fine because they have the players others want to buy. We don't because we haven't invested properly previously.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Lose/lose scenario. If we go out and say we're interested in X player and don't get them then it'd be another stick to beat the club with. The Moyes' window would look even worse than it was, and it was dreadful.
Ok I understand your explanation.

So how come all the big clubs I mentioned still do it anyways? Don't they have reactionary fans too?

clubs like real & Barca have presidents who are voted in by fans. The incumbents have come out numerous times to say they're in for player X. Sometimes they fail in their pursuit. Don't they have more to lose than the Glazers by announcing their transfer targets?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The difference is Spurs already have actual world class players. They had a structure in place that led to the development of guys like Kane and the scouting and buying of underrated young players like Son and Ali. They've also got an owner who has just bought them a 1 billion pound stadium. It's a fair point about Arsenal, but again their scouting is superior. I'd trust the guy that found Torreira for 15m more than the guy who thought Fred was worth 54m.
This is revisionist history: United had a squad that had just won the league title … and then immediately embarked on a massive and continuing spending spree. But you complain about United lagging behind the investment cycle? Lagging behind is not the problem. The problem has been spending the money badly.

Nor has the owner of Spurs "just bought" the club a 1 billion pound stadium. The stadium has/is being financed by a mixture of bank loans and revenue generated by the club. Moreover, Spurs do not have a single individual owner.

ArjenIsM3

Yes but if we did only have 100m, we wouldnt be wasting time with Sancho, de ligt or spending over half our budget on Wan Bissaka since we have a lot of needs. It's a BS excuse preparing for when we fail to get our actual targets and spend something like we did last summer.
Oh yeah absolutely agree that article is most likely a load of crap. I'm sure we can spend a lot more if the right players are available.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Could very well be a brief to start getting those prices down or save face when we inevitably lose out on a few target. There’s no way we were willing to buy Sancho, be in for De Ligt and only have 150m to spend. Something isn't really adding up.

Josep Dowling

Let the meltdown begin:)
I will let the transfer window close before making full judgement but if we end with 3/4 players including Daniel James as a speculative buy it’s a crap transfer window, especially with Herrera gone and possibly Pogba. If we end up that way there has to be fan protests against the Glazers and Woodward, it isn’t right what’s happening. Especially after the lack of signings last season. Our net spend was less than £30m.

Suv666

The problem has been spending the money badly.
Agreed. We have spunked a lot of money. If only half the signings post Fergie have turned out to be class we wouldnt be here. Pogba, Shaw and Lindeloff, are the only one's who have been relatively decent.

VanGaalyTime

This is revisionist history: United had a squad that had just won the league title … and then immediately embarked on a massive and continuing spending spree. But you complain about United lagging behind the investment cycle? Lagging behind is not the problem. The problem has been spending the money badly.

Nor has the owner of Spurs "just bought" the club a 1 billion pound stadium. The stadium has/is being financed by a mixture of bank loans and revenue generated by the club. Moreover, Spurs do not have a single individual owner.
ENIC owns the club and Joe Lewis has a 70% share so technically he's the owner. Also when did United go on a spending spree immediately after winning the title? We didn't spend anything between 2009 and 2013 compared with our rivals.

Suv666

Agreed. We have spunked a lot of money. If only half the signings post Fergie have turned out to be class we wouldnt be here. Pogba, Shaw and Lindeloff, are the only one's who have been relatively decent.
Apparently we have spend £687m post Fergie. The problem isnt the money, its how we are spending it. All the scouts need a kick up their arse. Some shockingly bad signings, dont know who said yes to them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...n-utd-signings-ferguson-transfer-16196353.amp

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

sparx99

The money thing is just nonsense to get clicks and wind us up. I'm getting impatient myself but so far City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea (except Pulisic in Jan), etc, etc haven't signed anybody.

Only Real Madrid have been making significant moves and that was always going to be the case this summer.

We need to realise that between end of season holidays, international football including the U21 tournament and then negotiations taking time most signings happen in July.

Yes, ideally you would want everybody there on the first day of training but ultimately if they arrive in the first two weeks of July that is still plenty of time to integrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.