Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarsdd

Its amazing how the people who complain about the injury proneness of defenders like Bailly and Jones want us to sign Tierney (missed half of Celtic’s games last season and isn’t expected to be back for one more month) and Alderwierald (31years old and has been injury probe last couple of seasons).

I’m all for Maguire for £60+20 (if its true) and to be honest I expected it to be £90+ given Leicster don’t need to sell, Maguire is not pushing for the move and him being a regular English starter and has been one of the very few consistent defenders over the last 2-3 years. I always think defenders should be more about reliability than exceptional talent. And to be fair we did try to sign exceptional talents like De Ligt and Koulibaly but well it didn’t work. And also its not the time to sign some young defenders from some other league even if he’s talented. Its very difficult to adapt to the premier league and even harder when when you’re young. So right now I would rather take a Maguire who has 90% chance of being a reliable player here than someone like Saliba orJoachim Anderson or some other young defender who has a maybe a 40% chance to be reliable here right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damien

deafepl

Assuming Maguire deal agreed and get Longstaff or Lemina and Bruno that could see us surpassing 200m.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

Infra-red

I'm sure that's bollocks because we only had £100m to spend this season.
That was £100m, net, wasn't it? Which would mean that we will currently need to find £25m of sales (assuming all quoted figures for initial fees are correct), to fund James (£20m), AWB (£45m) and Maguire (£60m).

£100m thing may well just be bollocks, of course.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Its amazing how the people who complain about the injury proneness of defenders like Bailly and Jones want us to sign Tierney (missed half of Celtic’s games last season and isn’t expected to be back for one more month) and Alderwierald (31years old and has been injury probe last couple of seasons).

I’m all for Maguire for £60+20 (if its true) and to be honest I expected it to be £90+ given Leicster don’t need to sell, Maguire is not pushing for the move and him being a regular English starter and has been one of the very few consistent defenders over the last 2-3 years. I always think defenders should be more about reliability than exceptional talent. And to be fair we did try to sign exceptional talents like De Ligt and Koulibaly but well it didn’t work. And also its not the time to sign some young defenders from some other league even if he’s talented. Its very difficult to adapt to the premier league and even harder when when you’re young. So right now I would rather take a Maguire who has 90% chance of being a reliable player here then someone like Saliba orJoachim Anderson or some other young defender who has a maybe a 40% reliable here right away.
Logic.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Fair doos. My bad. As you can see I’ve got the finger on the pulse with regards our signings.
I’d love to see him given a go on the right against Leeds. He can’t be any worse than Lingard or Mata :D

Sanche7

AWB, James, Maguire, Bruno - not a bad summer but we might struggle for goals. And as @Dante pointed out, we need another CM

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Jaysus the amount of yappin on here is unreal. We're finally signing a quality CB which hopefully means that the chuckle brothers will be 4th and 5th choice next season. Yes, the fee is high but who gives a sh1t? Personally i don't think 80m is that high for a 26 year old English center back in the current market. If we didn't sign him the same crew would be on here saying how awful the transfer window has been and how we'll be lucky to finish 7th. No pleasin some people.

RedDevilRoshi

AWB, James, Maguire, Bruno - not a bad summer but we might struggle for goals. And as @Dante pointed out, we need another CM
A defensive CM is a must. Would have also said RW but that’s probably being very greedy and a position that might be looked at next season.

BlueHaze

Any summer with the RW being ignored is an awful one for me. If Maguire comes in we still need 2 midfielders a RW and possibly a striker if Lukaku leaves. With the departure of Ander I'm struggling to see why the club doesn't activate the clause of Partey.

reddev3

He's full of sh*t, I'm positive he said about a week ago that he knew for fact that Arsenal had more than 45 million to spend and it was a negotiating tactic to release that they only had that much, he also said they had uptown 70/80 mill to bid on Zaha.

GioF

A defensive CM is a must. Would have also said RW but that’s probably being very greedy and a position that might be looked at next season.
I can’t see us adding another CM if we buy Bruno (unless we sell Pogba). Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno, Pereira, Garner will probably be enough in the eyes of the board.

As much as we all would love a genuine RW that also looks like it will be left for another year. Shame as I would go all in on Dembele from Barca but it looks like they will keep him.

Next year maybe Sancho or CHO can be brought in?!

RedDevilRoshi

I can’t see us adding another CM if we buy Bruno (unless we sell Pogba). Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno, Pereira, Garner will probably be enough in the eyes of the board.

As much as we all would love a genuine RW that also looks like it will be left for another year. Shame as I would go all in on Dembele from Barca but it looks like they will keep him.

Next year maybe Sancho or CHO can be brought in?!

Surely we need a DM more than Bruno Fernandes who is more an attacking midfielder than a defensive one? Unless we are going to play Pogba deep if he stays? Matic looked as slow as a week in jail yesterday.

Personally I think the club are hell bent on getting Jadon Sancho, hence why they are not entertaining any idea of bringing one in this summer as much as we could do with one right now. Save that position for him next season.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wonder when journalists will learn you can pay for transfers over multiple years
The reality is that "X have a transfer budget of Y this summer" works better as a story than "X have Y amount of space in their set yearly expenditure limits for player wages & transfer costs", so never.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Surely we need a DM more than Bruno Fernandes who is more an attacking midfielder than a defensive one? Unless we are going to play Pogba deep if he stays? Matic looked as slow as a week in jail yesterday.

Personally I think the club are hell bent on getting Jadon Sancho, hence why they are not entertaining any idea of bringing one in this summer as much as we could do with one right now. Save that position for him next season.
Think we'll go 4231 next season if we add Bruno so yeah Pogba would play deeper. For big games if we wanted to switch back to 433 you play Pogba Matic McTominay and you're fine.

Welbeckham

Think we'll go 4231 next season if we add Bruno so yeah Pogba would play deeper. For big games if we wanted to switch back to 433 you play Pogba Matic McTominay and you're fine.
”Fine” and Matic don’t belong in same sentence.

GioF

I agree Matic isn’t good enough or possess the athleticism to do what’s needed anymore in PL week in and week out. However if it’s a straight up choice between a DM or a number 8/10 like Bruno then I’d take the AM all day long.

Between Matic, McTominay and Fred we can get enough out of them to do enough this year (of course id love a top DM as well but it’s very unlikely). But I’d feel less confident with Fred further forward or Pereria starting most games.

De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Matic, Fernandes, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford would get us into the top 4 I believe.

If we then sold Lukaku and brought in a RW/CF to start even in the short term over Lingard that would be great.

Next year I think we will go after Sancho but I’d like a deal done before the end of the season in case he blows up even more at the Euros.

lsd

The Oracle
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. He'd have been slaughtered if he pulled the plug on the deal after Leicester rejected €70 million, similar to when we were after Peresic.

No one sane would have blamed him for refusing to pay 70 million for a slow carthorse like Maguire . Now he's gone n paid 80 million . That's insane and he deserves to be slaughtered for that . Absolutely the worst transfer in history and bye bye Axel as a result too

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
No one sane would have blamed him for refusing to pay 70 million for a slow carthorse like Maguire . Now he's gone n paid 80 million . That's insane and he deserves to be slaughtered for that . Absolutely the worst transfer in history and bye bye Axel as a result too
What a shocker of a post.

I'm not over the moon about the price for Maguire either, but people have been screaming for a centre back for years and now he signs one he's getting ripped for it?

Worse still you are bitching about Maguire being a slow carthorse. Well 3 of our 4 best centre backs in memory have all been relatively slow in comparison to others. Bit if, Bruce and Pallister weren't fast but they could defend. Feck, John Terry wasn't fast either. Quick reactions, strength, reading of the game, intercepting, heading and tackling all comes above speed for me when looking at a centre back.

Also, it's no way the worst transfer in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.