Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

Yeah my gut feeling is that this money we are making for sales is all so we can pay more up front for Sancho
If, as has been suggested, we have a £100m budget, we could be looking to raise enough money to bring Sancho and someone like Upamecano in as well. Van de Beek at £35m, Sancho at £100m and Dayot at £55m would be a spend of £190m. Could we hope to raise £90m in sales? Romero, Smalling and Jones could be £35-40. Surely you'd be expecting £25m for Lingard so we'd need another £30-35m from Dalot, Rojo and Pereira which seems unlikely.

dutchred

Serious question. Why do we not see more black goal keepers in football?
There are quite a few in Holland, and the Ajax keeper Onana is one of the best. Really surprised Chelsea didn't go after him. Ajax have promised that they wont stand in his way and will not ask an exorbitant price for him after he stayed an extra year

croadyman

£25-30m for Smalling and Jones would be grand business in this market. Add on the rumoured £8m for Romero and sweet talk Moyes into taking Lingard and Pereira off our hands and we'll find ourselves with a nice kitty to work with.
Yeah will be on the phone to a certain German team soon with the progress we have made today

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
West Ham are targeting Said Benrahma as an upgrade on Grady Diangana.
It will take all of the Diangana money and then some to get him - £25m plus add ons and they get him imo. However knowing their owners they'll probably offer £5m and leak to the press how unreasonable Brentford are being.

diarm

It will take all of the Diangana money and then some to get him - £25m plus add ons and they get him imo. However knowing their owners they'll probably offer £5m and leak to the press how unreasonable Brentford are being.
Ah lads - Lingard is World Cup proven! What would ye be wanting Benrahma for?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Madison, Grealish, Longstaff .... and we get VdB and Bruno!!

fcuk those clubs, they are lumbered with those players now and no buyers for a while Im sure. Am glad the club seems to have said no more English tax.

croadyman

If, as has been suggested, we have a £100m budget, we could be looking to raise enough money to bring Sancho and someone like Upamecano in as well. Van de Beek at £35m, Sancho at £100m and Dayot at £55m would be a spend of £190m. Could we hope to raise £90m in sales? Romero, Smalling and Jones could be £35-40. Surely you'd be expecting £25m for Lingard so we'd need another £30-35m from Dalot, Rojo and Pereira which seems unlikely.
Still wouldn't be surprised if we went back to Monaco for Badiashile, yes I know he hasn't got the experience of Upamecano now but maybe we believe he can be even better.

NYAS

I think this tweet should probably be deleted. The first seems a massive over selling of what the video says in the second.
Yep. Nothing tweet that will add about 50 pages to the Sancho thread.

diarm

I think this tweet should probably be deleted. The first seems a massive over selling of what the video says in the second.
The biggest take from that video is that the people in the club who speak to journos like Cooper, are clearly still of a mind that the transfer can happen. If this was dead we'd be briefing guys like him that we aren't/weren't interested.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Nothing sky are saying is different is it? Our brief to BBC etc. was always around agent fees and wages being a problem on top of the fee. Romano has maintained throughout that that’s just games in our side and fees/wages have been agreed already.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

fcuk those clubs, they are lumbered with those players now and no buyers for a while Im sure. Am glad the club seems to have said no more English tax.
Don’t think Villa fans will see themselves as “lumbered” with Grealish.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Some more Juve-related outgoings:

On Perin: one-season loan
On Romero: one-year loan with an option to buy or a two-year loan with an obligation to buy

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Serious question. Why do we not see more black goal keepers in football?
Read this somewhere on the internet and found it very ridiculous.

"We don't see them in the nets because that position needs utmost levels of concentration. There's a general narrative thrown around that black players are a bit 'casual' with their approach."

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
In fairness this is too simplistic a view of finance. Two large considerations to be made are (a) the structure and timing of fees, and (b) the current fee obligations for previous transfers. On the first point, a 100M budget for additional (import caveat) transfer expenses this financial year, could translate to 200M worth of signings, if fees are appropriatelu structured, i.e. over 3-4 years. We may pay 60-70M up front for Sancho, with a further 30-40 in guaranteed fees paid over the next 2-3 years. Alternatively the club may only pay 40M this summer for him, but have to outlay the same fee the next two summers in guaranteed fees, increasing the totaly cost of the transfer by 20M but preserving cash flow this year. Without being in the room, no one knows what is being talked about. Yet it is important to recognise the difference between guaranteed fees and payment timing.

This is a double edge consideration though, because while we may get 20M for Smalling, it may be payable over 2-3 years, which obviously has an impact on cash flow as well. And this will be the case for all our sales, with each deal structured differently. In an ideal world, you get the best fee you can and structure it over a longer period to extract maximum value. Wealthy clubs have this opportunity more than smaller clubs who tend to have more acute cash flow issues. For example, it is better to take 20M over 3 years for Smalling, than 15M over one, if you don't desperately need the additional cash flow with more immediate effect. Obviousy, other factors such as the time value of money, internal rate of return, and the opportunity cost of capital come into effect when analysing these decisions. One I am not well qualified to answer, so don't quote me with regards to the actual numbers I exemplified on Smalling.

This summer we will see clubs that operate extremely conservatively, to preserve cash flow and hedge against future losses caused by COVID. We will also see clubs that take a more risk prone approach, and gamble on a return to 'business as usual' sooner rather than later, to take advantage of potentially lower transfer prices and less market competition over recruitment. In such cases, fees paid will likely be negotiated with significant timing structures to try and hedge these risks against the promise of future income.

This is why the Sancho deal is so complicated. A club such as United rarely has cash flow issues that are significant enough to impede their ability to conclude a massive transfer. Now, however, we are talking about a 100M+ deal at a time where every club has cash flow concerns of some variety. The additional forecasting and risk assessment is considerable, as well as the weighting existing transfer payment obligations have on current liquidity. These issues may or may not be exacerbated depending upon Dortmund's own cash flow needs and their willingness to take more up front for a lower overall fee. At that point the club has to consider whether drawing down on low interest credit facilities is a lower cost approach to concluding the transfer, as it allows a lower overall fee to be paid, than spreading the fee over multiple season (from a cash flow perspective). Football is also notoriously complicated with regards to the commissions of negotiating parties, such as agents, and the overall increment to the fee may prove a further stumbling block. I would expect this one to rumble on for a while.

This was a very complicated way of saying that a 100M budget this summer is nowhere near as simple as spending 190M and selling 90M.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Unfortunately, there's nothing significantly new in this for me. Maybe the fact that Cooper mentions the fee structure not being an issue is a plus and indicates that we can possibly afford a relatively high up-front first installment.

Agent fees were always going to be a problem. We just have to hope that either Dortmund soften their stance or the agents decide to lessen their demands.

nainaisson

Yeah, agreed. It's been the club's tactic for a while to blame Sancho and his agent for the deal taking so long. He isn't saying anything in the video that he, Luckhurst, and United's other mouthpieces in the media haven't said consistently.

cyberman

Unfortunately, there's nothing significantly new in this for me. Maybe the fact that Cooper mentions the fee structure not being an issue is a plus and indicates that we can possibly afford a relatively high up-front first installment.

Agent fees were always going to be a problem. We just have to hope that either Dortmund soften their stance or the agents decide to lessen their demands.
Dortmund resfusing less than 120m up front was the story. This is an actual development

diarm

In fairness this is too simplistic a view of finance. Two large considerations to be made are (a) the structure and timing of fees, and (b) the current fee obligations for previous transfers. On the first point, a 100M budget for additional (import caveat) transfer expenses this financial year, could translate to 200M worth of signings, if fees are appropriatelu structured, i.e. over 3-4 years. We may pay 60-70M up front for Sancho, with a further 30-40 in guaranteed fees paid over the next 2-3 years. Alternatively the club may only pay 40M this summer for him, but have to outlay the same fee the next two summers in guaranteed fees, increasing the totaly cost of the transfer by 20M but preserving cash flow this year. Without being in the room, no one knows what is being talked about. Yet it is important to recognise the difference between guaranteed fees and payment timing.

This is a double edge consideration though, because while we may get 20M for Smalling, it may be payable over 2-3 years, which obviously has an impact on cash flow as well. And this will be the case for all our sales, with each deal structured differently. In an ideal world, you get the best fee you can and structure it over a longer period to extract maximum value. Wealthy clubs have this opportunity more than smaller clubs who tend to have more acute cash flow issues. For example, it is better to take 20M over 3 years for Smalling, than 15M over one, if you don't desperately need the additional cash flow with more immediate effect. Obviousy, other factors such as the time value of money, internal rate of return, and the opportunity cost of capital come into effect when analysing these decisions. One I am not well qualified to answer, so don't quote me with regards to the actual numbers I exemplified on Smalling.

This summer we will see clubs that operate extremely conservatively, to preserve cash flow and hedge against future losses caused by COVID. We will also see clubs that take a more risk prone approach, and gamble on a return to 'business as usual' sooner rather than later, to take advantage of potentially lower transfer prices and less market competition over recruitment. In such cases, fees paid will likely be negotiated with significant timing structures to try and hedge these risks against the promise of future income.

This is why the Sancho deal is so complicated. A club such as United rarely has cash flow issues that are significant enough to impede their ability to conclude a massive transfer. Now, however, we are talking about a 100M+ deal at a time where every club has cash flow concerns of some variety. The additional forecasting and risk assessment is considerable, as well as the weighting existing transfer payment obligations have on current liquidity. These issues may or may not be exacerbated depending upon Dortmund's own cash flow needs and their willingness to take more up front for a lower overall fee. At that point the club has to consider whether drawing down on low interest credit facilities is a lower cost approach to concluding the transfer, as it allows a lower overall fee to be paid, than spreading the fee over multiple season (from a cash flow perspective). Football is also notoriously complicated with regards to the commissions of negotiating parties, such as agents, and the overall increment to the fee may prove a further stumbling block. I would expect this one to rumble on for a while.
Of course. I posted something similar although less well explained earlier.

To be honest I just like letting my inner muppet out for a stroll every now and again.

James Peril

Such an ignorant and entitled comment, jesus. Reported for lack of intelligent content. Why would Villa sell Grealish if they don’t need the money whilst never being able to replace him with a player of similar ability? Even worse, buying a lesser player at almost the same price? They’re total c*nts for doing that right? Utd-fans need to learn that other clubs have lots of money now, Villa and Leicester included. Heck, Leicester even has a player that could buy its own club over a few times.

English tax finito? We literally paid 80M for Harry Maguire a year ago and just gave a 100k+ multi year deal to an unproven backup goalkeeper that might be good, but also might turn into the most expensive deal in history for matches played in the top divison, I’ll hold my horse on that one.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Of course. I posted something similar although less well explained earlier.

To be honest I just like letting my inner muppet out for a stroll every now and again.
Who doesn't? And by that logic I'm all aboard the 'sell Lingard, Periera, Mata, Smalling, Romero, Jones, and Bailly and replace them with Messi' for free train.

cyberman

That’s not what we briefed though, that’s what Romano has been saying. We’ve briefed for the last 3 weeks that agent fees and wages are the biggest issue. Cooper isn’t saying anything that he hasn’t been saying for weeks.
We have said nothing has been agreed, not that theres a problem.
Also its not Journos, its the German club itself. Its literally been 3 years left on contract, next year no covid etc.
Working out a deal with Dortmund is huge news.

NinjaFletch

The biggest take from that video is that the people in the club who speak to journos like Cooper, are clearly still of a mind that the transfer can happen. If this was dead we'd be briefing guys like him that we aren't/weren't interested.
Sure, but we know that already because we haven't done that.

I'm not saying that Sancho won't or can't happen, but that this: 'James Cooper — who gets his information directly from #mufc — has said that the fee structure for the Jadon Sanco deal is no longer a problem with agent fees being the issue.'

and what Cooper says which is:

'I think there is a feeling that... getting some sort of fee structure isn't the biggest obstacle to this deal' are completely different things.

Not to mention the fact that Cooper then goes on to completely contradict the information that 'We know the personal terms are done'

Either Cooper is right or Romano is right, but they're contradicting each other here and you can't pick and choose which one you're going to listen to.

All of which to say it isn't a 'major update' it's totally banal fluff from Sky Sports to pad out some air time.

Status
Not open for further replies.