Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzmondo

What attributes does Grealish have to justify anything above £50mil? Is he the game changing player Pogba/Bruno is? And about his socks..
Yes he is. He's been far better than anything Pogba's shown at Utd over the last 12 months.

EDIT: Saying he's worth £50m+, not so much £90m. I think £70m would be fair.

Last edited:

Alemar

Yes he is. He's been far better than anything Pogba's shown at Utd over the last 12 months.
Is it enough of a reason to buy a player for his peak valuation? How likely is it that Grealish will later on increase in value even further if we buy him for 90m+?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm a massive fan of Grealish and would love him at United but this is what we typically do at United, especially in recent years since Sir Alex left, which is spending for the sake of it.

Now, I sound like a hypocrite because in previous threads I said that we should be getting Grealish at all costs but should we really be spending 80 plus million on a player we don't desperately need?

I say that because the two positions (left-wing and attacking midfield) Grealish flourishes in is currently occupied by what I would call our best players in Bruno and Rashford.

That being said, Ole has been playing Rashford on the right-wing spot of late and despite the usual moaning by the Caf, I feel Rashford is just as productive on the right as he is on the left. I also feel he brings the best out of AWB, as he keeps the width and allows us to create attacking overloads.

I don't know what the club is going to do but sometimes players are too good to pass up and Ole might be thinking the same.

Gary Neville explained that Sir Alex had a three category transfer policy. Promoting youth, amongst the best in the league and emerging international talent. It seems Ole has taken a similar approach with the likes of Greenwood, Maguire, and Bruno, respectively. Grealish would obviously come under the 'amongst the best in the league' category.

What would people prefer?

Martial
Grealish Bruno Rashford

or

Martial
Rashford Bruno Sancho​
Fergie said several times during his reign that if a player becomes available that he feels is a must buy, he buys him if possible and thinks about the rest later. Grealish at this moment in time fits into that way of thinking.

passing-wind

Grealish is a great player, no doubt. If he did come to United though, do we think he would sit in a MF three next to Bruno (as a pogba replacement as many are saying) or as a LW instead of Rashford/Martial (one of which would then presumably play up top)?
This is the reality Grealish doesn't slot in any position under Solskjaer's preferred formation neither does he slot into the team without sacrificing one of our useful attacking players. Ole is not a tactical mastermind neither is it wise to blow 100 million on a player where we are stacked in the position he occupies. Rashford performances on the right hand side aren't even in the same context as his influence on the left.

Sancho over Grealish on the basis of what the squad needs. The only Villa player who gets into our consistent starting 11 with no headache for the manager is Mcginn.

passing-wind

Fergie said several times during his reign that if a player becomes available that he feels is a must buy, he buys him if possible and thinks about the rest later. Grealish at this moment in time fits into that way of thinking.
Sir Alex had the managerial capability, prestige and experience to be able to have selection issues. Look at the context of what an undefined 11 has caused the likes of Arteta, Ole and Lampard during periods, it causes a headache an extra pressure given they are unproven with their job on the line.

90 million on a player who occupies a position we are stacked in alongside larger weaknesses in other areas of the pitch is completely unwise. Ole is not a tactical mastermind to appropriate issues that Sir Alex wouldn't have lost sleep over.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sir Alex had the managerial capability, prestige and experience to be able to have selection issues. Look at the context of what an undefined 11 has caused the likes of Arteta, Ole and Lampard during periods, it causes a headache an extra pressure given they are unproven with their job on the line.

90 million on a player who occupies a position we are stacked in alongside learger weaknesses in other areas of the pitch is completely unwise. Ole is not a tactical mastermind to appropriate issues that Sir Alex wouldn't have lost sleep over.
I don't think we're stacked on the left and feel Grealish will be a upgrade on Rashford because technically there's a noticeable difference. Grealish will improve us and give us real control in games which would be very beneficial for United. I want the best possible players at United and Grealish is one of those players.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don't think we're stacked on the left and feel Grealish will be a upgrade on Rashford because technically there's a noticeable difference. Grealish will improve us and give us real control in games which would be very beneficial for United. I want the best possible players at United and Grealish is one of those players.
Grealish would allow Fernandes to be more of a goalscoring threat and be more direct for sure, and he makes our left even better than before. However, he won't be that involved, defensively, and I'm not sure if he will be willing to go through spells where he won't actively be involved in the attacks. At Villa, everything goes through Grealish, whereas United, at the moment, have everything going through Fernandes. Will Grealish still be effective whilst playing second fiddle? Personally, I'm not so sure, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Grealish would allow Fernandes to be more of a goalscoring threat and be more direct for sure, and he makes our left even better than before. However, he won't be that involved, defensively, and I'm not sure if he will be willing to go through spells where he won't actively be involved in the attacks. At Villa, everything goes through Grealish, whereas United, at the moment, have everything going through Fernandes. Will Grealish still be effectively whilst playing second fiddle? Personally, I'm not so sure, but that's just me.
With Grealish everything won't go through Fernandes IMO and for me Grealish is even better on the ball especially in confined spaces and can dribble to a higher level. I can't predict the future but I would love to see a technician like Grealish arrive because he's graceful on the ball and has the work ethic to match.

James Peril

EDIT: Saying he's worth £50m+, not so much £90m. I think £70m would be fair.
United literally paid 70M for Harry Maguire... what on god’s earth makes you think they will sell Grealish for the same? No chance they sell below 100M. They have cash, they have the long contract..

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
With Grealish everything won't go through Fernandes IMO and for me Grealish is even better on the ball especially in confined spaces and can dribble to a higher level. I can't predict the future but I would love to see a technician like Grealish arrive because he's graceful on the ball and has the work ethic to match.
For sure, the ball will go through Fernandes less often, but it doesn't mean that everything will necessarily go through Grealish. I'm not sure if Grealish can develop his game to further to be able to remain as effective even if he's not necessarily involved in an attack. That's something that I see him having to develop with us. Havertz is going through a similar struggle with Chelsea at this time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For sure, the ball will go through Fernandes less often, but it doesn't mean that everything will necessarily go through Grealish. I'm not sure if Grealish can develop his game to further to be able to remain as effective even if he's not necessarily involved in an attack. That's something that I see him having to develop with us. Havertz is going through a similar struggle with Chelsea at this time.
I honestly can't see why he wouldn't be highly influencial because in comparison to Fernandes, Grealish can be a threat centrally but unlike Fernandes he's also a big threat in transitions working the flank due to his superior dribbling ability out wide. I could be wrong too but Grealish for me has more strings to his bow in transition.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I honestly can't see why he wouldn't be highly influencial because in comparison to Fernandes, Grealish can be a threat centrally but unlike Fernandes he's also a big threat in transitions working the flank due to his superior dribbling ability out wide. I could be wrong too but Grealish for me has more strings to his bow in transition.
Right, individually, Grealish is more refined than Fernandes, who makes up for it with his directness and energy levels. My point was more on how well Grealish can fit into the rest of the team and whether he'll be as effective when he's not a big fish in a small pond. I say this because we've seen a similar case with Havertz in Chelsea and (on a lesser note) Mahrez in City.

Is Grealish the kind of player who'll always be drawn towards the ball? Will he have the tactical acumen to take up positions, make runs, and perform actions that he wouldn't necessarily like? It's questions like these that I am looking to answer, and at the moment, I don't have the answers, unfortunately.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Anyways, back on topic: ESPN in Argentina have a big update on Marcos Rojo.

2+1-year contract for Rojo; apparently, Boca Juniors aren't too willing to spend money directly on him and, instead, want him for free.

Kostov

2+1-year contract for Rojo; apparently, Boca Juniors aren't too willing to spend money directly on him and, instead, want him for free.
Can we ship them a combo of this clown, Jones and Lingard? All for 5 pounds.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
United literally paid 70M for Harry Maguire... what on god’s earth makes you think they will sell Grealish for the same? No chance they sell below 100M. They have cash, they have the long contract..
Maguire was pre pandemic, United were desperate for a defender and the world knew it, Leicester hadn't long won the league and we were competing with City.

We're in a much stronger position to negotiate for transfers now - that being said, I dont think Villa will accept less than £80m which means he won't be moving anytime soon.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Right, individually, Grealish is more refined than Fernandes, who makes up for it with his directness and energy levels. My point was more on how well Grealish can fit into the rest of the team and whether he'll be as effective when he's not a big fish in a small pond. I say this because we've seen a similar case with Havertz in Chelsea and (on a lesser note) Mahrez in City.

Is Grealish the kind of player who'll always be drawn towards the ball? Will he have the tactical acumen to take up positions, make runs, and perform actions that he wouldn't necessarily like? It's questions like these that I am looking to answer, and at the moment, I don't have the answers, unfortunately.
Havertz has come in from a different league and being a very young player can mean the adaptation process takes longer than expected. I don't believe his move to Chelsea from Leverkusen tells us anything regarding us potentially signing Grealish who is English and has been excelling in the EPL.

I believe Grealish will play depending on the quality of players around him. If there's someone in midfield who is good at breaking lines then I believe Grealish will adapt and take up positions which would play to the teams strength. But if the team is struggling to maintain control then Grealish can also drift centrally and come looking for the ball. But his biggest strength is that he's strong in multiple attacking zones which would make him a very dangerous player for the opposition and hugely influencial for us potentially.

I also don't have the answers but i'm just giving you my opinion on the player after watching him play a number of times. The answer will only come if he ends up signing for a big club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Big Sam's looking to bring one of his former players in. I don't get what he'll offer that both Diangana and Matheus Pereira don't.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Britishness
I get you, but to be fair, Diangana is quite British given that he's been in the U.K. since the age of 4. Still, I kind of get what Sam's trying to do: he wants more reliable, safer attacking players rather than those with lots of flair, though Diangana did play under Big Sam at West Ham, too.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I get you, but to be fair, Diangana is quite British given that he's been in the U.K. since the age of 4. Still, I kind of get what Sam's trying to do: he wants more reliable, safer attacking players rather than those with lots of flair, though Diangana did play under Big Sam at West Ham, too.
Yeah I was just messing to be fair. It's definitely the thought of reliability.

Giggsyking

We are not a fecking charity, would rather him staying at home than giving him for free.

Brophs

The One and Only
We’ve been trying to find a buyer for Rojo for 3 years. It might be time to give up on it. All the signs are other football clubs have access to video of his performances.

Last edited:

Alemar

We are not a fecking charity, would rather him staying at home than giving him for free.
But it would mean we need to continue paying him salary for nothing. Better to negotiate something like “initial fee of zero plus performance based bonuses”

hungrywing

Grealish would allow Fernandes to be more of a goalscoring threat and be more direct for sure, and he makes our left even better than before. However, he won't be that involved, defensively, and I'm not sure if he will be willing to go through spells where he won't actively be involved in the attacks. At Villa, everything goes through Grealish, whereas United, at the moment, have everything going through Fernandes. Will Grealish still be effectively whilst playing second fiddle? Personally, I'm not so sure, but that's just me.

We saw a taste of that in the past few matches where Bruno and Pogba were both caught in 'do I pass to him now' land.

Giggsyking

But it would mean we need to continue paying him salary for nothing. Better to negotiate something like “initial fee of zero plus performance based bonuses”
If we keep this gifting players away. No one will ever come and pay anything even for our top players. Haller is being sold for 25m and we cant even sell an Argentina international for something more than free.

T_Model101

If we keep this gifting players away. No one will ever come and pay anything even for our top players. Haller is being sold for 25m and we cant even sell an Argentina international for something more than free.
What is he worth though? We have a 1 year option on him, so potentially he does have some value. We're probably saving £3M in wages if we release him for free. If we received a fee of around £5M for him, then he'd be a top 10 all time most expensive signing for the Argentinian league

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perception is everything. Haller is still a first team player — in fact he is their number 1 striker. Rojo is basically our 7th choice CB who we sent on loan to Argentina just last season! Add to that, Rojo is probably cozy sitting here than going elsewhere in Europe. It’s most likely back to Argentina or bust.

Our biggest problem generally in relation to sales is taking too long to sell players — we really wait until all value has been seeped. With pure duds like Rojo I can sympathise with the club a tiny bit. It’s more the extension of younger players who still have strong market value on heavy contracts that annoy me most.

Craig Ward

We saw a taste of that in the past few matches where Bruno and Pogba were both caught in 'do I pass to him now' land.
Pogba lives in the "do i pass the ball now" land - he's so slow at passing the ball it's unreal.

At least bruno waits for movement and is better at retaining the ball.

Grealish is miles better than pogba with the ball - it's not even a comparison for me. Grealish is guilty of holding onto the ball for too long currently but in a better set up, with better forward players that will change.

Grealish is an essential summer signing for me

passing-wind

I do think Rojo's circumstances aren't favourable to the buyer. He's on a fairly pricey contract when weighed with his level of talent it doesn't represent value for the buying club. Haller is also an established first team player. Smalling is a better example just shy of 20 million because he's a useful addition. I don't think Rojo strengthens any decent European team.

Giggsyking

I do think Rojo's circumstances aren't favourable to the buyer. He's on a fairly pricey contract when weighed with his level of talent it doesn't represent value for the buying club. Haller is also an established first team player. Smalling is a better example just shy of 20 million because he's a useful addition. I don't think Rojo strengthens any decent European team.
But you can see Smalling is doing extremely well with Roma and they are in the league fight, yet we suffered a lot to sell him. We have a problem in getting the right value for our players. Just look to City and Liverpool and their bad players going for higher prices than our good players would go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.