Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Looks like we are trying to save up our cash for this summer. Not going all in on Sancho last summer has put us in a good position to strengthen more than just one area.
But if we'd signed him last year and signed someone else this year we still would've strengthened more than just one area?

Or is it purely that we might save £20m on his price?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They can get some money out and pay with actual currency, penny pinching fecks.
About that...

Not only are their revenues going down, they're also having to contend with relatively high transfer debt. On top of that, they were losing lots of cash and had to issue a bond worth 173 million Euros, which let them have just less than 10 million Euros in cash at the end of the 2020 fiscal year. This was just after a summer window when Juve had brought in both Chiesa and McKennie on loans with purchase options (McKennie recently exercised). In contrast, United ended off with 51 million Pounds and are currently at ~80 million Pounds.

Even the Agnelli family, with all of their money, are taking a big hit from COVID-19.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
But if we'd signed him last year and signed someone else this year we still would've strengthened more than just one area?

Or is it purely that we might save £20m on his price?
It's not necessarily the total price that's the problem. Dortmund wanted a significant amount of the fee up front that summer, which we weren't prepared to pay. By not going for Sancho then, we were able to end the year with 51 million Pounds. If we did go with paying the large up-front fee, we may have barely any money available, or we may even have taken out an additional loan in order to make up for the cash deficit. United have already had to spend lots of money up front on both Maguire and Bruno, and this pandemic has reduced our incoming cash flow even further. I can understand why they wouldn't want to go for another deal with a large up-front payment.

With many clubs now pursuing deals where they pay later on, going for Sancho this summer would allow United to save way more money. There's potential for a lower up-front fee and a structure that'd allow us to pay more down the line. Having said that, I'm not sure if we'd even go after Sancho when we are focusing more on both the centre back and striker roles.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
More on Cavani:

Source:

If I were to give you a percentage of him coming, I’d give you around 60%. [Cavani] doesn’t feel comfortable where he is [and has been thinking of moving closer to Uruguay] for a few years [to stay] closer to the family.
Note: MEN also latched onto the story, but that's based on what his father said.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's not necessarily the total price that's the problem. Dortmund wanted a significant amount of the fee up front that summer, which we weren't prepared to pay. By not going for Sancho then, we were able to end the year with 51 million Pounds. If we did go with paying the large up-front fee, we may have barely any money available, or we may even have taken out an additional loan in order to make up for the cash deficit. United have already had to spend lots of money up front on both Maguire and Bruno, and this pandemic has reduced our incoming cash flow even further. I can understand why they wouldn't want to go for another deal with a large up-front payment.

With many clubs now pursuing deals where they pay later on, going for Sancho this summer would allow United to save way more money. There's potential for a lower up-front fee and a structure that'd allow us to pay more down the line. Having said that, I'm not sure if we'd even go after Sancho when we are focusing more on both the centre back and striker roles.
Thanks.

ti vu

That would be a terrible idea, imagine De Ligt, De Jong earning lower salary than players who are way below their talent and performance level. I don't think they will be able to implement that.
Thing would adapt to it's over time.

In this example, with Ajax is guaranteed more money via regular CL football and more chance to stay longer in the competition! They're supposed to use that money to pay their players better.

Long contract has been waste of resource in current system where as some teams just hoarding incompatible talents because they have money and useless FFP can't do nothing about it. Some teams have been using their money not only to strengthen themselves but weakening their rivals, which is more damaging to the playing field than anything.

With this ban, everyone would have to think twice about committing to long contract for the sake of the club and the player. Clubs would lose money loaning their surplus, while talented players need to be smarter not to jump into talent grinding pit, just for quick bucks.

ti vu

More on Cavani:

Source:

Note: MEN also latched onto the story, but that's based on what his father said.
Cavani family is one hell of annoying family, isn't it?

Still remember his mother and brother publicly fall out with PSG, and Atletico negotiators. In which, for no reasons, his brother threw us (not involved at the time) under the bus, regarding club who pay silly wage. We may respect him for his professional behavior on the pitch, but it's a baggage with him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Cavani family is one hell of annoying family, isn't it?

Still remember his mother and brother publicly fall out with PSG, and Atletico negotiators. In which, for no reasons, his brother threw us (not involved at the time) under the bus, regarding club who pay silly wage. We may respect him for his professional behavior on the pitch, but it's a baggage with him.
Yeah, now that I've seen all of this, I finally see why United are reluctant to continue on with Cavani. Based on what's coming from Uruguay, I think the player himself is okay with continuing on for one more year, but he may be getting more pressure from his family to come back home as he gets older and closer to retirement.

If you ask me, I'd prefer if we keep Cavani and not be under as much pressure to get a good-quality striker. Cavani can also set a good example for our younger forwards and help them improve their game.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Sky Sports journalists typically don't associate themselves with a story as unexpected as this. The fact that Lyall Thomas is putting his name with the story tellsme that he may have gotten some info from somewhere.

To me, this doesn't make much sense. De Gea hasn't been linked to any other club so far, and we've read stories about Henderson not being interested in playing second-fiddle. United getting a new keeper would pretty much seal Henderson's fate and have him leave the club.

cyberman

Sky Sports journalists typically don't associate themselves with a story as unexpected as this. The fact that Lyall Thomas is putting his name with the story tellsme that he may have gotten some info from somewhere.

To me, this doesn't make much sense. De Gea hasn't been linked to any other club so far, and we've read stories about Henderson not being interested in playing second-fiddle. United getting a new keeper would pretty much seal Henderson's fate and have him leave the club.
I cant remember the last Utd story that Sky broke

cyberman

Deano was sold a dream by Solskjaer then :rolleyes:
He was raving about Dean after the City game. We arent spending so much on another keeper when money is so tight and we have a 100k a week keeper on the books.
Its nonsense

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don't get that story at all. So we don't have faith in Henderson OR De Gea then? :lol:
I'm going to try and make sense of this now, but I'll most likely be clutching at straws and making several assumptions.

So far, Ole has wanted every position to have more than just one player who's good enough for the first team. He's trying to go for something like what the bigger-money clubs have done where they have two first-team players in every position. For whatever reason, though, Ole also wants that for the goalkeeper role (unlike those other clubs).

Our current goalkeeper options basically consist of de Gea and Henderson. Romero will leave, and Grant is basically going to retire. Our younger keepers are out on loan and gaining valuable first-team experience, but Ole doesn't see them as being ready for United next season. With de Gea not having been at his best recently and costing so much money, United may prefer to let him go this summer. There's also the fact that Edurne's just had her child, so de Gea may be more inclined to leave United now. With Henderson as the only first-team keeper around, Ole might be wanting another first-team-quality keeper. Maignan, Donnarumma, and Oblak are three of several names in the shortlist, but what that means for sure is that Ole doesn't want Henderson to get comfortable as the numero uno keeper.

Assumptions made:
  • Ole wants at least two first-team players per position.
  • De Gea wants to go back to Spain to be closer to his family.
  • No young keepers will be promoted to the first team next season.
  • Both Romero and de Gea leaving would free up enough money to spend on another keeper.
  • We have more goalkeeper options than Maignan, Donnarumma, and Oblak.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He was raving about Dean after the City game. We arent spending so much on another keeper when money is so tight and we have a 100k a week keeper on the books.
Its nonsense
Would be really strange if it was true

ti vu

I'm going to try and make sense of this now, but I'll most likely be clutching at straws and making several assumptions.

So far, Ole has wanted every position to have more than just one player who's good enough for the first team. He's trying to go for something like what the bigger-money clubs have done where they have two first-team players in every position. For whatever reason, though, Ole also wants that for the goalkeeper role (unlike those other clubs).

Our current goalkeeper options basically consist of de Gea and Henderson. Romero will leave, and Grant is basically going to retire. Our younger keepers are out on loan and gaining valuable first-team experience, but Ole doesn't see them as being ready for United next season. With de Gea not having been at his best recently and costing so much money, United may prefer to let him go this summer. There's also the fact that Edurne's just had her child, so de Gea may be more inclined to leave United now. With Henderson as the only first-team keeper around, Ole might be wanting another first-team-quality keeper. Maignan, Donnarumma, and Oblak are three of several names in the shortlist, but what that means for sure is that Ole doesn't want Henderson to get comfortable as the numero uno keeper.

Assumptions made:
  • Ole wants at least two first-team players per position.
  • De Gea wants to go back to Spain to be closer to his family.
  • No young keepers will be promoted to the first team next season.
  • Both Romero and de Gea leaving would free up enough money to spend on another keeper.
  • We have more goalkeeper options than Maignan, Donnarumma, and Oblak.
My assumption:

1. It's time for DDG to move back to Spain from both the club and DDG perspective
2. Henderson is work in progress. From past experience, during a transition of a first choice GK, it's better to have a quality competition to cover if thing goes tits up. Hence Maignan, Donnarumma
3. No way to sell DDG with the wage he's on, so it's better to attempt as getting Oblak involved in the deal. Vacant that position for DDG while getting a quality GK. Of course, being in our situation, we're gonna pay a fortune going this route.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
My assumption:

1. It's time for DDG to move back to Spain from both the club and DDG perspective
2. Henderson is work in progress. From past experience, during a transition of a first choice GK, it's better to have a quality competition to cover if thing goes tits up. Hence Maignan, Donnarumma
3. No way to sell DDG with the wage he's on, so it's better to attempt as getting Oblak involved in the deal. Vacant that position for DDG while getting a quality GK. Of course, being in our situation, we're gonna pay a fortune going this route.
Regarding the 2nd point, I think the club will use that to evaluate how far ahead Henderson is. So far, he's looked better to me than he did at the start, but we will see if he can continue to improve from here. The problem here is that, if Henderson is indeed getting better, we can't have Henderson unsettled if we go for a big-profile keeper who wants the number 1 spot; it'd be wiser to go with a more dependable backup keeper than someone who'd be a bona fide #1 keeper. I'm thinking of players like Marco Silvestri, Emil Audero, Koen Casteels, or Yann Sommer.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Worth noting Duncan Castles was beating this new keeper drum last week.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Regarding the 2nd point, I think the club will use that to evaluate how far ahead Henderson is. So far, he's looked better to me than he did at the start, but we will see if he can continue to improve from here. The problem here is that, if Henderson is indeed getting better, we can't have Henderson unsettled if we go for a big-profile keeper who wants the number 1 spot; it'd be wiser to go with a more dependable backup keeper than someone who'd be a bona fide #1 keeper. I'm thinking of players like Marco Silvestri, Emil Audero, Koen Casteels, or Yann Sommer.
Can't believe we are letting Romero go.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can't believe we are letting Romero go.
Yeah, he would've been perfect had we kept him happy and involved with the team, but oh well, that ship has sailed. We now need to look for a new Romero to fill in for now (note: I'm continuing on the train of thought regarding de Gea leaving).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ban on transfers between CL clubs will destroy the current sub-elite clubs and basically ensure the elite won't have to pay transfer fees anymore - since nobody's going to sign long-term deals anywhere else
Yes, snapping up the best players from non-CL clubs. It’s disgusting trying to protect the elite as always

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For all the hysteria - I’m pretty sure that the proposal regarding the CL transfer amnesty is for ‘nine-figure transfers’ - which actually DOES help the smaller clubs.

It basically introduces a cap on fees to £100m - with the exception of smaller clubs, who can charge anything they want. If such a rule is introduced, it would certainly not result in players being ‘imprisoned’ by their clubs - it is more likely to regulate transfer fees at the top of the game.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For all the hysteria - I’m pretty sure that the proposal regarding the CL transfer amnesty is for ‘nine-figure transfers’ - which actually DOES help the smaller clubs.

It basically introduces a cap on fees to £100m - with the exception of smaller clubs, who can charge anything they want. If such a rule is introduced, it would certainly not result in players being ‘imprisoned’ by their clubs - it is more likely to regulate transfer fees at the top of the game.
That's what Agnelli himself is saying; let's see if this is indeed the case. As of now, this appears to be a proposal that has yet to be fully fleshed out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The now mandatory post from Romano rehashing news from elsewhere. In this case Cavani's Instagram post.
That’s how the media works. People need to stop being so invested and desperate to uncover liars and charlatans. He reports on football, this is a football story and he’s reported it.

Status
Not open for further replies.