Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

I just don't see the logic there. If he is cheaper than last summer, then it makes even more sense for us to go for him. I struggle to see who we could go for that would be a better signing than him, especially at a reduced cost. Haaland won't happen. I doubt we actually lost interest just because it didn't work out last year, that would be dumb. Don't think our evaluation of him changed either.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I just don't see the logic there. If he is cheaper than last summer, then it makes even more sense for us to go for him. I struggle to see who we could go for that would be a better signing than him, especially at a reduced cost. Haaland won't happen. I doubt we actually lost interest just because it didn't work out last year, that would be dumb. Don't think our evaluation of him changed either.
Maybe they're hoping Amad or Pellistri can fill the place (not week in, week out immediately probably. Rotate with others and maybe by 2022, one may be a starter and save us a shedload?)

There's also rumours that we're looking at Sarr.

At the end of the day, we're all guessing?

(Rather have Haaland though).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The logic could be that they want to develop Amad Diallo for the role who is naturally a better fit for the role due to being left footed.

Or alternatively, United are now playing down the link due to potentially driving the price down even further.

Infra-red

He may be going elsewhere. You would expect a 'never wanted him anyway' stance from the club in those circumstances.

Equally, he/we might simply have burned too many bridges last summer.

bucky

The logic could be that they want to develop Amad Diallo for the role who is naturally a better fit for the role due to being left footed.

Or alternatively, United are now playing down the link due to potentially driving the price down even further.
Not really talking about who is the best fit for the right wing spot. My point was if we were willing to pay 100m or more last summer, we should be willing to pay what Dortmund want this summer, considering it seems to be less than last year. Our evaluation of him shouldn't have changed this season, he's been very good, particularly the last few months. That type of talent isn't always available, especially to us recently. Diallo shouldn't stop us. He should take James spot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not really talking about who is the best fit for the right wing spot. My point was if we were willing to pay 100m or more last summer, we should be willing to pay what Dortmund want this summer, considering it seems to less than last year. Our evaluation of him shouldn't have changed this season, he's been very good, particularly the last few months. That type of talent isn't always available, especially to us recently. Diallo shouldn't stop us. He should take James spot.
I don't believe we were willing to pay £100m last summer. There was a lot of reports coming from the likes of Bild etc with the BVB press pack very quiet on the speculation. So it was all speculation because Journos like Falk who was one of the main driving forces of the speculation also tweeted that United had 300m to spend. So the speculation was driven mostly by Falk, Romano and Fjortoft.

SATA

I’ll be disappointed if we drop interest in Sancho. The right wing is still a glaring spot in the team and he can now be purchase for the right price and likely on our terms unlike last summer. Let’s get him please, United

bucky

I don't believe we were willing to pay £100m last summer. There was a lot of reports coming from the likes of Bild etc with the BVB press pack very quiet on the speculation. So it was all speculation because Journos like Falk who was one of the main driving forces of the speculation also tweeted that United had 300m to spend. So the speculation was driven mostly by Falk, Romano and Fjortoft.
Doesn't really change my argument, if Dortmund are asking for less, then we should still be interested and go for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Doesn't really change my argument, if Dortmund are asking for less, then we should still be interested and go for him.
It doesn't change what I said either, because I gave you two scenarios in my initial response. The second, which IMO covers what you said.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The United-associated journalists haven't talked much about United necessarily taking the steps to bring Sancho in. They've mostly talked about United targeting a new striker or central defender (more recently, a Matic replacement). They've barely mentioned Sancho except when they want to provide their own views. Logically, it makes sense to me for United to go after Sancho as well, but who knows what United's plans are with Amad? Maybe they want to bring him on board sooner than we think?

Teja

I think it's just a journo making things up. IMO we're all in on Sancho, noone else is in for him, Dortmund want to sell, his form has been great after an initial blip, we're desperate for a RW player - I think it'll happen.

bucky

It doesn't change what I said either, because I gave you two scenarios in my initial response. The second, which IMO covers what you said.
Well, hopefully you right with the second one, the first one wouldn't be good enough.

The United-associated journalists haven't talked much about United necessarily taking the steps to bring Sancho in. They've mostly talked about United targeting a new striker or central defender (more recently, a Matic replacement). They've barely mentioned Sancho except when they want to provide their own views. Logically, it makes sense to me for United to go after Sancho as well, but who knows what United's plans are with Amad? Maybe they want to bring him on board sooner than we think?
I doubt we are going to get Mbappe or Haaland, which means we won't get that good of a striker, since the options are limited. I've talked about this with @Devil may care , but I don't think there is a Matic replacement or CB out there, that would improve us as much as Sancho would.

croadyman

I think it's just a journo making things up. IMO we're all in on Sancho, noone else is in for him, Dortmund want to sell, his form has been great after an initial blip, we're desperate for a RW player - I think it'll happen.
I wanted to think that exact thing last summer as well but he has proved he's well connected

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is definitely saying they are going all in for Haaland and we will forced to watch it happen
Not necessarily. Sam Lee talked to David Ornstein about City's approach to the transfer market, and he reckons that City will look to exploit clubs with bad financial situations, citing the Maguire transfer as one of the catalysts towards the change in approach. He gave Ferran Torres as a good example of that. Based on that, he then gave an example of Romelu Lukaku at Inter and why City would look to get him (based on earlier links).

Here's the talk for you (and anyone else) who's interested:

croadyman

Not necessarily. Sam Lee talked to David Ornstein about City's approach to the transfer market, and he reckons that City will look to exploit clubs with bad financial situations, citing the Maguire transfer as one of the catalysts towards the change in approach. He gave Ferran Torres as a good example of that. Based on that, he then gave an example of Romelu Lukaku at Inter and why City would look to get him (based on earlier links).

Would take them getting Lukaku/Martinez any day of the week instead of Kane/Haaland but really fear the worst on this one

Robbie Boy

They've been quite good from what I've seen in the last few years mate. They've done really good work from the u12s upwards..
I love that we're getting in on the action regarding signing so many highly rated youth players. Obviously Bout has played a massive part in this, but we've really upped the ante since Ole arrived.

Hopefully we can get a gem soon like like Liverpool recently done in signing Elliott from Fulham.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well, hopefully you right with the second one, the first one wouldn't be good enough.

I doubt we are going to get Mbappe or Haaland, which means we won't get that good of a striker, since the options are limited. I've talked about this with @Devil may care , but I don't think there is a Matic replacement or CB out there, that would improve us as much as Sancho would.
One of the criticisms labelled at the club in previous windows is that we're too transparent when it comes to making it known who we want. Maybe the club now with a built up football structure headed by Murtough have changed tact?

It's speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing that now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I love that we're getting in on the action regarding signing so many highly rated youth players. Obviously Bout has played a massive part in this, but we've really upped the ante since Ole arrived.

Hopefully we can get a gem soon like like Liverpool recently done in signing Elliott from Fulham.
I'm hoping that gem will be Hannibal Mejbri. But it remains to be seen how he transitions to first team football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From my limited knowledge of the youth teams, he is the one I'm most excited about.
I agree mate. He's obviously technically very very good and has the touch and technique along with superb vision. But what really stands out is that he has a superb mentality and wants the ball at every opportunity and will go looking for the ball, even in deeper defensive zones to help transition play, which causes opposition many problems.

But eventhough his potential really excites me, I don't want to get too carried away just yet, because I have been wrong in the past and the jump from the 23s to the first team is a big one.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The problem's that we haven't exercised Cavani's option yet, so as of now, we're heading into next season with Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood as our strikers. Given Martial's form this season, I'm not surprised that we're looking at a new striker to not only add depth but some consistency. We have a similar situation with our CBs; Bailly might not want to continue on with us, so him leaving would leave us light at the back.

If we choose to miss out on one of the two key areas of improvement to bring in Sancho instead, then we might get away with it if our existing players remain fit enough or suddenly improve.

Robbie Boy

I agree mate. He's obviously technically very very good and has the touch and technique along with superb vision. But what really stands out is that he has a superb mentality and wants the ball at every opportunity and will go looking for the ball, even in deeper defensive zones to help transition play, which causes opposition many problems.

But eventhough his potential really excites me, I don't want to get too carried away just yet, because I have been wrong in the past and the jump from the 23s to the first team is a big one.
Cheers, that's a good insight into his game. I've only seen bits-and-pieces of him and never watched him play a full game.

No shame being wrong about youth players making the transition to first team level, it's always a tough call. Always appreciate your insights into our youngsters :)

Varun1

Didn't City insert an anti-United clause when they sold one of their players? Could even have been Sancho.

Has there been rumours of similar clauses in Lukaku's contract? And sell on fee %?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Didn't City insert an anti-United clause when they sold one of their players? Could even have been Sancho.

Has there been rumours of similar clauses in Lukaku's contract? And sell on fee %?
The anti-United clause was for Brahim Diaz, who's currently on loan at AC Milan from Real Madrid.

I don't think I've seen any reports on United inserting anti-City clauses, but even if we did, we'd probably keep that quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.