Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Last summer we had maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Jones and Tuanzebe on the books. We’ve got rid of 2 so far.
we can’t buy literally every promising youngster when you are watching several and have 1 on your books. Now we know more we should make a move this summer for someone
Yeah I acknowledged that in another post.

That said, of the 7 you just listed, Smalling was let go, Jones is a permanent crock and can’t be relied upon to wipe his own arse without dislocating his shoulder, Rojo was destined to leave and woeful and Tuenzebe is a grey area even at the time.

These things were apparent at the time also. Not blaming Ole, the summer window fell into complete shambles with the Sancho saga.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Sky Germany is a garbage source. Max Bielefeld in particular has a daily (?!) show about transfer rumours, which means he's either somehow clued into everything or he has to bullshit to fill air time. The Sport1 guys at least still have the regular dynamic where they don't have to come up with insights based on a production schedule.But Sport1 gets access, because it's a TV station, that doesn't necessarily mean that their reporters don't make up stuff. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of the two journalists you mentioned, now they tell you they are so well connected they know about everything that's happening everywhere. Odds are that they know some things because they work for a TV station, but they also fill a lot of the blanks with fortune telling.
The only Tier 1 sources in Germany are Kicker, who sell proper old fashioned reporting and then the odd local paper with connections or some of the serious papers, who rarely break football stories, because they are above the whole gossip clickbait game.
David Ornstein has his weekly YouTube show where he answers fans' questions on various stories, and he tends to include his own deductions in many of his answers. His deductions aren't facts, of course, but that doesn't make him a bad source. In the same vein, I won't evaluate Max's deductions or summaries of the various stories from his daily transfer show (same with Dirk and the rest of Sky Germany as well as Italy). Notice how I don't tend to post just about anything that comes up from the TV shows.

There used to be a journalist who would get posted in the Transfer Tweet threads who'd offer nothing more than deductions based on other stories, but thankfully, his Tweets stopped getting posted. Even me, I deduce many things based on what I've read, but that doesn't make me an insider or an expert. When I evaluate the journalists, I'm basing it off of what their sources (however good or bad they are) are giving them and not on what they're deducing.

If you ignore their medium(s) of transmission and focus only on what they're presenting from their sources (and not their deductions), how would you evaluate them? Take this Tweet as an example. Is there anything in there that is rubbish?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I see where this came from. This was from Ornstein's exclusive interview with Sven Botman. He asked Botman a question about all of the speculation surrounding his future, and in it, he name-dropped various clubs off the top of his head. He wasn't necessarily directly linking Botman to United; that could have been in reference to other outlets/stories (like Castles' podcast).

The clip:

The full interview

Of course, Botman doesn't reveal anything about his future and where he'd like to play, but he does reveal that he enjoys watching and following the Premier League.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Simy would probably work well for a recently-promoted Premier League team, though I wouldn't be surprised if West Brom make a move for him given how similar he is to Diagne.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
David Ornstein has his weekly YouTube show where he answers fans' questions on various stories, and he tends to include his own deductions in many of his answers. His deductions aren't facts, of course, but that doesn't make him a bad source. In the same vein, I won't evaluate Max's deductions or summaries of the various stories from his daily transfer show (same with Dirk and the rest of Sky Germany as well as Italy). Notice how I don't tend to post just about anything that comes up from the TV shows.

There used to be a journalist who would get posted in the Transfer Tweet threads who'd offer nothing more than deductions based on other stories, but thankfully, his Tweets stopped getting posted. Even me, I deduce many things based on what I've read, but that doesn't make me an insider or an expert. When I evaluate the journalists, I'm basing it off of what their sources (however good or bad they are) are giving them and not on what they're deducing.

If you ignore their medium(s) of transmission and focus only on what they're presenting from their sources (and not their deductions), how would you evaluate them? Take this Tweet as an example. Is there anything in there that is rubbish?
I mean Max Bielefeld, like Falk, has been caught posting transfers as done deals that didn't happen in the end. Falk in particular, if I remember correctly, announced a Thiago contract extension at Bayern last summer, officially wished Javi Martinez farewell before the current season and announced Xabi Alonso to take over Gladbach. To assume what they write comes from actual sources is quite generous. If I catch someone lying to me repeatedly I stop listening to anything they say. And in your example Tweet, he's suggesting that Dortmund are looking to loan (?!) an ex Schalke keeper from Bayern, who has not played in a year and when he last played committed a litany of errors that cost him the no1 spot at Schalke. So based on that Tweet alone I'd say he's a fraud and not a very clever one.

Number32

So, David Beckham had never wanted our deadwoods, but collecting players with fat contract from Arsenal?

He surely hates the glazers and boycott any kind of business with them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I mean Max Bielefeld, like Falk, has been caught posting transfers as done deals that didn't happen in the end. Falk in particular, if I remember correctly, announced a Thiago contract extension at Bayern last summer, officially wished Javi Martinez farewell before the current season and announced Xabi Alonso to take over Gladbach. To assume what they write comes from actual sources is quite generous. If I catch someone lying to me repeatedly I stop listening to anything they say. And in your example Tweet, he's suggesting that Dortmund are looking to loan (?!) an ex Schalke keeper from Bayern, who has not played in a year and when he last played committed a litany of errors that cost him the no1 spot at Schalke. So based on that Tweet alone I'd say he's a fraud and not a very clever one.
Can you show me an example with Max, specifically? I can't recall any off the top of my head. With Falk, you won't see me arguing in his favour; I find him having better reports when he either corroborates either Plettenberg's or Tobi Altschäffl's stories (like the following example):

Also, on Nübel to Dortmund, that was kicked off via the keeper's agent Stefan Backs strongly advocating for his player to leave on loan on Plettenberg's podcast (as referred to in this article). They were connecting the dots between Backs and Dortmund, and that's how they attempt to strengthen the story, but that's their own deduction. As a result, I never took that link too seriously; the example Tweet that I posted was to focus on Lille actually making a move for Nübel, not his Dortmund link.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can you show me an example with Max, specifically? I can't recall any off the top of my head. With Falk, you won't see me arguing in his favour; I find him having better reports when he either corroborates either Plettenberg's or Tobi Altschäffl's stories (like the following example):

Also, on Nübel to Dortmund, that was kicked off via the keeper's agent Stefan Backs strongly advocating for his player to leave on loan on Plettenberg's podcast (as referred to in this article). They were connecting the dots between Backs and Dortmund, and that's how they attempt to strengthen the story, but that's their own deduction. As a result, I never took that link too seriously; the example Tweet that I posted was to focus on Lille actually making a move for Nübel, not his Dortmund link.
I mean if the tweet says "my sources tell me claims a, b and c are correct" and one of them looks like it's made up or some speculation passed on as insider information (which is basically the same anyway), then that doesn't exactly give the rest of the claims more credibility.

Here's one of Max's blunders:
https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...ow-wird-sicher-zu-s04-wechseln/12040095/34381

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I mean if the tweet says "my sources tell me claims a, b and c are correct" and one of them looks like it's made up or some speculation passed on as insider information (which is basically the same anyway), then that doesn't exactly give the rest of the claims more credibility.

Here's one of Max's blunders:
https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...ow-wird-sicher-zu-s04-wechseln/12040095/34381
I don't see any attribution to Max in that article (and I haven't seen him Tweet about this, either), but at least this shows that we can't blindly rely on Sky Germany to be true.

On the former point, not every single link has the same strength to it, especially those that are based on prior history (like Nübel to Dortmund, Varane to United, etc.). However, should we rule out other links because of that one particularly flimsy one? I wouldn't put one blanket over all of the links. I'm not the kind of person to classify every link as weak and flimsy just because it's not official. I used to be that way, but I now evaluate them on a case-by-case basis.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Dealio done isn't it. Probably the most open goal transfer of the summer. Not even Ed Woodward could mess it up as his parting gift.
I mean, you say an open goal but that doesn’t factor in financial reality. If Dortmund ask 100m for him, and want most of it paid up front rather than structured, not really an open goal is it? I am almost certain that because if Covid we don’t have that kind of cash available. And outside of the state sponsored clubs, no one will.

So if terms are reasonable, it’s a doable transfer, but where there are multiple parties involved and we don’t know their demands (from the outside), it’s far from simple. Unless you are CFO of Manchester United and know something I don’t.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So, David Beckham had never wanted our deadwoods, but collecting players with fat contract from Arsenal?

He surely hates the glazers and boycott any kind of business with them.
Luiz would be great in MLS. He’s still physically strong, and the lower quality of movement, and nice playing surfaces, would suit his game very well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I see where this came from. This was from Ornstein's exclusive interview with Sven Botman. He asked Botman a question about all of the speculation surrounding his future, and in it, he name-dropped various clubs off the top of his head. He wasn't necessarily directly linking Botman to United; that could have been in reference to other outlets/stories (like Castles' podcast).

The clip:

The full interview

Of course, Botman doesn't reveal anything about his future and where he'd like to play, but he does reveal that he enjoys watching and following the Premier League.
Thanks for the context here. Seems a casual link in that case!

croadyman

Sky Germany is a garbage source. Max Bielefeld in particular has a daily (?!) show about transfer rumours, which means he's either somehow clued into everything or he has to bullshit to fill air time. The Sport1 guys at least still have the regular dynamic where they don't have to come up with insights based on a production schedule.But Sport1 gets access, because it's a TV station, that doesn't necessarily mean that their reporters don't make up stuff. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of the two journalists you mentioned, now they tell you they are so well connected they know about everything that's happening everywhere. Odds are that they know some things because they work for a TV station, but they also fill a lot of the blanks with fortune telling.
The only Tier 1 sources in Germany are Kicker, who sell proper old fashioned reporting and then the odd local paper with connections or some of the serious papers, who rarely break football stories, because they are above the whole gossip clickbait game.
Yeah would feel more confidence about getting Jadon when Ruhr Nachrichten say something positive on it, when people were talking it up last summer think they poured cold water on the story but could be wrong on that

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
So 2 seasons or so ago there were people suggesting we should sign Ryan Sessegnon for £30 million+ from Fulham in the championship. I said thats too much money for a player from the championship. Villa have now spent £27.2 million on a forward from the championship - pretty close. Gonna say the same again, too much money. If he does great and is one of the top scorers in the premier league next season feel free to come at me. But I think I was without a doubt right about Sessegnon and I'll remain consistent here with Watkins.
@Ekeke you did say to "come at you"

I remember we went back and forth on Watkins for several posts me insisting having seen a lot of him that he was value. Think it's fair to say the England international has proven his worth and then some.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Are the Glazers after and during a pandemic going to spend €90m and a huge wage on Sancho when for a lot of big games Solskjaer has played his best side and had Greenwood coming off the bench in that very position? And that's been without Martial for large periods.

I said last summer I could see Sancho more at Liverpool, still think it but maybe they'd skimp if they don't get top 4.

(aware Sancho is comfortable either side)

Ekeke

@Ekeke you did say to "come at you"

I remember we went back and forth on Watkins for several posts me insisting having seen a lot of him that he was value. Think it's fair to say the England international has proven his worth and then some.
4 goals in his last 15 matches and 13 league goals, 5 assists overall. I'm going to stand by that not being good enough for £30 million. I wouldnt be happy with it if my club got that return from a player. I wasnt when Berbatov was doing it for a similar fee

9th top scorer and less than Bamford. Whats Bamford worth then? £40 million?

RkkMan

Are the Glazers after and during a pandemic going to spend €90m and a huge wage on Sancho when for a lot of big games Solskjaer has played his best side and had Greenwood coming off the bench in that very position? And that's been without Martial for large periods.

I said last summer I could see Sancho more at Liverpool, still think it but maybe they'd skimp if they don't get top 4.

(aware Sancho is comfortable either side)
Utd offered €90m up front plus some add ons rising to over €100m last Summer so it's not unfeasible they offer something in that region again this year. The plan is for Greenwood to eventually become a No9 long term and Cavani at 34 won't play every game so he'd be getting more game time up front than as a RW. Martial nowadays is down the pecking order at best he'll be a squad player next season with the possibility of leaving in a year's time.
And if Utd will struggle to afford him then LFC who operate on a sell to buy policy on big money signings won't be any better as I struggle to see who will buy any of their 29yr old wingers on big money during a pandemic

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
4 goals in his last 15 matches and 13 league goals, 5 assists overall. I'm going to stand by that not being good enough for £30 million. I wouldnt be happy with it if my club got that return from a player. I wasnt when Berbatov was doing it for a similar fee

9th top scorer and less than Bamford. Whats Bamford worth then? £40 million?
Oh you're one of those. Okay.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Utd offered €90m up front plus some add ons rising to over €100m last Summer so it's not unfeasible they offer something in that region again this year. The plan is for Greenwood to eventually become a No9 long term and Cavani at 34 won't play every game so he'd be getting more game time up front than as a RW. Martial nowadays is down the pecking order at best he'll be a squad player next season with the possibility of leaving in a year's time.
And if Utd will struggle to afford him then LFC who operate on a sell to buy policy on big money signings won't be any better as I struggle to see who will buy any of their 29yr old wingers on big money during a pandemic
Liverpool would easily get a Sancho fee and change for Salah, be it from PSG most likely if they are losing Mbappe or if Madrid get funded from somewhere.

Or Liverpool just get Mbappe to replace Salah going the other way.

RkkMan

Liverpool would easily get a Sancho fee and change for Salah, be it from PSG most likely if they are losing Mbappe or if Madrid get funded from somewhere.

Or Liverpool just get Mbappe to replace Salah going the other way.
"Easily" is a massive massive exaggeration, pre COVID for sure but all clubs will be extra frugal with spending.
Madrid are £900m in debt in the process of building a stadium and didn't spend a dime last summer as a result of that so "Funding" for them will not come easy why do you think they're still in this Super League BS? They're completely skint even Mbappe may be hard to afford Perez himself said it
Mbappe only wants to join Madrid if he cant leave this year reckon he waits another year to possibly leave for free instead of joining Liverpool who will struggle to afford his wage demands of over £500k

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
"Easily" is a massive massive exaggeration, pre COVID for sure but all clubs will be extra frugal with spending.
Madrid are £900m in debt in the process of building a stadium and didn't spend a dime last summer as a result of that so "Funding" for them will not come easy why do you think they're still in this Super League BS? They're completely skint even Mbappe may be hard to afford Perez himself said it
Mbappe only wants to join Madrid if he cant leave this year reckon he waits another year to possibly leave for free instead of joining Liverpool who will struggle to afford his wage demands of over £500k
I was hoping we could have an opportunistic shot at Mbappe but if as looks we don't get CL then that'll be out the window.

Madrid have a history of getting bailed out in suspicious circumstances and creative accounting.

I mean your rationalising against a Salah fee is exactly my argument for being sceptical of the Glazers who i am sure lack a nuanced understanding of football and I cold see taking a view of "where does he play? well why do we need him doesn't x play there? just play him more"

RkkMan

I was hoping we could have an opportunistic shot at Mbappe but if as looks we don't get CL then that'll be out the window.

Madrid have a history of getting bailed out in suspicious circumstances and creative accounting.

I mean your rationalising against a Salah fee is exactly my argument for being sceptical of the Glazers who i am sure lack a nuanced understanding of football and I cold see taking a view of "where does he play? well why do we need him doesn't x play there? just play him more"
You are Right and wrong in that they do lack knowledge on Football but their decision will only be based on whether it's viable financially as Joel Glazer doesn't know the offside rule(true story)let alone Greenwood's best position. It didn't happen last summer as it was deemed too expensive at the time not positional factors he'll be cheaper with a more realistic price this time though
And for the record Greenwood came off a breakthrough year scoring 17 goals last season and we still went hard for Sancho with The Glazers don't see why his presence changes things again
Madrid in the past neither had this much debt nor a stadium to build their "creative accounting" was supposed to be the Super League but with it in tatters even getting a few bank loans here and there may not be enough or deemed too risky with the heavy liabilities they have on their books

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dealio done isn't it. Probably the most open goal transfer of the summer. Not even Ed Woodward could mess it up as his parting gift.
Don't underestimated Ed. But really, this should be fairly straightforward unless the club tries to be too clever about it. Sancho is definitely out this summer

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don't underestimated Ed. But really, this should be fairly straightforward unless the club tries to be too clever about it. Sancho is definitely out this summer
Tbh with you mate, it depends on Joel Glazer. It was only recently reported that he makes the final decision on whether to go through with any potential incoming. Everything needs his approval before things can proceed. The report was in The Times a few weeks ago.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tbh with you mate, it depends on Joel Glazer. It was only recently reported that he makes the final decision on whether to go through with any potential incoming. Everything needs his approval before things can proceed. The report was in The Times a few weeks ago.
That's even more worrisome. I trust Ed more than Joel :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.