Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We haven't sold anyone, right? Few loans and that is it.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
It is our fault. They over pay players who now think they are worth that sort of money. Which might be why we are having problems even shifting the likes of Brandon Williams out on loan because clubs won't pay the loan fee. It will be a raft of loans to get Pereira and the likes out at the end of the transfer window. Then we have the same problem again next summer.

DULLAGHAN

IF Varane takes 19 he's taking Amad's number.
19 isn't confirmed and my understanding is he only takes 19 if Diallo goes on loan. Either way players shouldn't be dictating terms to the club, we need to get back to the idea that playing for the club is an honour.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It is our fault. They over pay players who now think they are worth that sort of money. Which might be why we are having problems even shifting the likes of Brandon Williams out on loan because clubs won't pay the loan fee. It will be a raft of loans to get Pereira and the likes out at the end of the transfer window. Then we have the same problem again next summer.
Our valuation of players is off in many cases. Look at Romero last summer, was poised to join Everton for a couple of million then United raised it to wanting 7 million. Fast forward a year and he’s released on a free. What’s the point?

Alemar

Our valuation of players is off in many cases. Look at Romero last summer, was poised to join Everton for a couple of million then United raised it to wanting 7 million. Fast forward a year and he’s released on a free. What’s the point?
Not just released on a free, but also a year of wages were also paid by us during the last season

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Was the same with Darmian, Juve wanted him and was willing to pay 10-12 mil. Euros, next season he left fot fish and chips. Some people at the club really are horrible at their job. Not to mention giving new contracts to "protect the assets".

James35

Exactly we paid like 4m in wages to not use him and lose him for free instead. Brilliant piece of business that was.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I think it's still good to loan the deadwood as you trim a year off of their stupid contracts

Jacob

Two points;

1) You get to keep them one additional season for whatever reason
2) It's about the messaging, market value or nothing

Having said that, for petty fees I agree we should've sold them, especially considering we're paying wages on top of not getting a transfer fee.

Cloud7

"Protecting their value"

golden_blunder

Staff
"Protecting their value"
Romero let’s say got 4m in wages
Everton offered 2 - 3m to take him
We say give us 7. Everton walk away
We keep him for a year, pay him wages then he walks for free.

id say it’s more like “protecting our debt”

Fooza

no way they pay 50 million for him, he didn't do all that much did he?
that is what I thought till I saw this, I wouldn't put it pass them over paying like they did on ben white

Cloud7

Romero let’s say got 4m in wages
Everton offered 2 - 3m to take him
We say give us 7. Everton walk away
We keep him for a year, pay him wages then he walks for free.

id say it’s more like “protecting our debt”
It's incredibly stupid, don't get me wrong, but the only rationale I can think of is that the club thinks they can get transfer fees for them. No idea who makes those assessments.

Infra-red

It's incredibly stupid, don't get me wrong, but the only rationale I can think of is that the club thinks they can get transfer fees for them. No idea who makes those assessments.
I would assume that, like most monumental cockups, it's an Ed Woodward special.

sparx99

No idea; but IF it’s true and IF it is, the likes of Haaland might find less money next summer for wages. Though I’m sure certain clubs can be creative in getting around it
The proposal being talked about is a soft salary cap. So any spending over the limit is then taxed with the funds redistributed into prize money and lower league solidarity.

sparx99

Two points;

1) You get to keep them one additional season for whatever reason
2) It's about the messaging, market value or nothing

Having said that, for petty fees I agree we should've sold them, especially considering we're paying wages on top of not getting a transfer fee.
Possible insurance against De Gea or Henderson leaving as well. Hendo was being linked to Spurs and Chelsea and making a big fuss about being no1.

sparx99

Legally very hard to enforce.

The way around it usually is to only allow a percentage of earnings to be used for the wage bill. This already in sport and works well
Wouldn’t they just make it voluntary in the same way that clubs have to agree to certain conditions to partake in European football. So while you could pay bigger salaries you wouldn’t be able to take up your place in European competition as those rules are set by UEFA as a private entity and they can have what rules they want. You are choosing to sign up to them in order to compete.

Syphon Wallet

Possible insurance against De Gea or Henderson leaving as well. Hendo was being linked to Spurs and Chelsea and making a big fuss about being no1.
This.
4m in wages isn't that much for a club like united.
It's overkill for a 3rd keeper yes, but we still needed one and we shouldn't set a precedent that clubs can roll us over with ridiculous offers.

Having said that, we are very poor at getting consistent value for our sales.
Wages are a massive part of this, we need to get control of the wages for squaddies like Jones, lingard etc

golden_blunder

Staff
The proposal being talked about is a soft salary cap. So any spending over the limit is then taxed with the funds redistributed into prize money and lower league solidarity.
Oh. Not sure how I feel about that.

so a club that buys the best talent, goes over their limit then probably wins back a portion of it anyway in prize money

Widow

Wouldn’t they just make it voluntary in the same way that clubs have to agree to certain conditions to partake in European football. So while you could pay bigger salaries you wouldn’t be able to take up your place in European competition as those rules are set by UEFA as a private entity and they can have what rules they want. You are choosing to sign up to them in order to compete.
I'd imagine so but they wouldn't want push back from the big teams (Super League pt2) also, only allowing teams that sign up for this wouldn't really be voluntary.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ødegaard for 40 million may turn out to be abit of a coup.
Liked what I saw of him last season.

golden_blunder

Staff
This.
4m in wages isn't that much for a club like united.
It's overkill for a 3rd keeper yes, but we still needed one and we shouldn't set a precedent that clubs can roll us over with ridiculous offers.

Having said that, we are very poor at getting consistent value for our sales.
Wages are a massive part of this, we need to get control of the wages for squaddies like Jones, lingard etc
Technically Grant was our 3rd keeper last season.

sparx99

I'd imagine so but they wouldn't want push back from the big teams (Super League pt2) also, only allowing teams that sign up for this wouldn't really be voluntary.
What I mean is all European competition is voluntary. We don’t have to take our place in the Champions League. We choose to for obvious reasons but we accept UEFA as the controller of the competition. If UEFA clubs vote this through then you are right it’s not really voluntary as you’d be left on your own (as Real Madrid, Barca and Juventus have been with the super league).

Status
Not open for further replies.