g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparx99

Oh. Not sure how I feel about that.

so a club that buys the best talent, goes over their limit then probably wins back a portion of it anyway in prize money
Well I suppose so but that’s kind of honest works now anyway. At least this way additional funds would get distributed to the less wealthy European leagues.

Infra-red

that is what I thought till I saw this, I wouldn't put it pass them over paying like they did on ben white

Quite surprised that Madrid are letting him go. Very talented and, frankly, with their shambles of a squad, one of Madrid's better players.

Not a bad price for Arsenal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I thought there's usually a loan fee and they pay their wages could be wrong though.
Southampton were not even willing to pay our loan fee for Williams and his wages were higher than they were paying to some of their established players. We reward players too young when they have barely achieved anything.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I meant at the time of negotiation, wasn't he dropped from the Prem registration list because he kicked off about the transfer falling through?
I think so, spent a bit of time in Argentina last season too just training by himself
They really screwed him over for no reason

HaliRed

Oh. Not sure how I feel about that.

so a club that buys the best talent, goes over their limit then probably wins back a portion of it anyway in prize money
I'm not sure about it going into prize money either. I agree that's not much of a deterrent. In the NBA, the taxed money is distributed amongst the rest of the league, but in Major League Baseball the first $2,375,400 and 50% of the remaining total are used to fund player benefits, 25% goes to the Industry Growth Fund, and the remaining 25% is used to defray teams' funding obligations from player benefits. I like the MLB version and do think it would make teams think twice.

On top of that, in the MLB, you get penalized more if you are a repeat offender as well as if the amount you exceed is larger.

A club exceeding the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the first time must pay a 20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax. If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

Clubs that exceed the threshold by $20 million to $40 million are also subject to a 12 percent surtax. Meanwhile, those who exceed it by more than $40 million are taxed at a 42.5 percent rate the first time and a 45 percent rate if they exceed it by more than $40 million again the following year(s).

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

8thWonder

40m for Odegaard, christ. Looks a nothing player.
Agreed. Just is a pretty passer. Might develop a lot more but currently he’s a bit meh
He's only 22 isn't he? I think statistically in a poor side he stood out for Arsenal pretty well.

If it's a choice between him or a more expensive Maddison then surely un absolute no brainer... 40million to an English side seems like a decent price imo.

youmeletsfly

He was OK. Not earth shattering.
He was an early bloomer that never got bigger or faster. Will have a good career but never live up to the expectations as a young player.
With them being a bit tight, the 50 mil investment on him is a bit risky, especially if he doesn't guarantee 5-10 goals and 5-10 assists a season. But hey, any player is a 50 mil one these days.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
With them being a bit tight, the 50 mil investment on him is a bit risky, especially if he doesn't guarantee 5-10 goals and 5-10 assists a season. But hey, any player is a 50 mil one these days.
Arteta hasn't grasped that if he wants to follow Pep you only spend 50m on defenders.

dinostar77

Quite surprised that Madrid are letting him go. Very talented and, frankly, with their shambles of a squad, one of Madrid's better players.

Not a bad price for Arsenal.
Mbappe is the no1 target this summer (or next if PSG dont sell) and Haaland after that (next summer). Everyone is expendable (i think for perez) so he can get his new galacticos.

Crimson King

Am I missing something? I didn't think he did anything special last season for them.
He didn't, he's just one of those players people like to wank themselves silly over.

Talented guy mind, but he's hardly a transformational signing at this point.

I'd prefer Maddison at this point in time.

pascell

Some double standards going on up in here. Pau Torres was labelled as the Spanish Lindelof and not good enough for United, gets linked with Spure and now it'd be deemed as good business?

dinostar77

Some double standards going on up in here. Pau Torres was labelled as the Spanish Lindelof and not good enough for United, gets linked with Spure and now it'd be deemed as good business?
Spainish lindelof for me personally glad we avoided that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.