Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

I think there's a good chance he'd reject us. Remember listening to an interview he did and he's from a massive Leeds suppporting family. Villa tried to sign him while they in the Championship but his nan convinced him to stay at Leeds.

I think he may well leave but I think the LUFC and MUFC rivalry is a real obstacle in a way it wouldn't be if we tried to sign another one of their players.

saivet

Any link or tweet to the AWB rumour? Quick search of twitter and found nothing.

Suv666

Relax y'all, it's just the media generating some clicks. I'd like to see him here, but am questioning his true integrity due to being a Leeds supporter.

I'd rather see Haidara (okay he has a MCL so don't know how good he'd be when fit again) and Kamara here - this sorts our DM for years. Neves would be great transfer as well. Then we'd have a superb balance on midfield and be able to rotate heavily, also gives a tactical versatility to the game.

Then Fred, Haidara, Kamara, Neves, VDB and Bruno is more than enough and oozes in quality. Also shields the defense and has tons of energy, deep-lying creativity and strength overall.

I'd like to see very smart transfers for a minimum amount of money - Eriksen for a year, maybe testing out Bernadeschi or Pavon from Boca Juniors (all of them are free transfers). Eriksen can switch with VDB and Bruno, depending on the situation and having Neves/Kamara behind them would be really balanced midfield. But I'm certain that Ralf and ETH know what to do and they have a cohesive plan set already.
It might not happen but I don't think its totally made up. Athletic aren't Mirror or Daily Mail

Varun1

I hope so ... Please be true, not just a loan with no obligation. And not with an unreasonable price tag which they clearly won't match!
Can we tempt Leicester to take Harry back?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Doesn’t compute, they want an ”upgrade”.
He was very good for Palace and he is actually a good player. Just not one you would want at a top side that want to rely on him getting forward.
In the right team he is useful

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Can’t see us going above £15m on a right back, there are a lot of good options around. Would love to see him back in red and blue though.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He was very good for Palace and he is actually a good player. Just not one you would want at a top side that want to rely on him getting forward.
You’re wasting your time here fella. Nobody wants your logical reasonable take on our player. The judgement has been passed by the mob and hatecafe is in full effect.:rolleyes:

Bu the way I agree with you that he is decent when deployed correctly.

I have to disagree on him being a good player, we have many good ones in our squad despite what some might say; but AWB is an extremely limited footballer, much of his defending leaves a lot to be desired (he, more than often loses his man at the back post, for example), and he has one redeeming feature. He's generally an honest and likeable lad, but he's also one of the most limited footballers I've seen at this club in the past 30 years.
You might be right, for Palace he may be a decent option again if they just have tunnelvision on "Prem proven" or even "Palace proven", but that'd be disregarding that Robertson went for 9m, players like Pereira went for 25m€ , there are much better options for them than AWB if they were to spend that kind of sum on upgrading that position. I'd be surprised if Vieira green lighted it.

Nah. He’s championship level. Like all our players. That’s the new narrative now right?
You’re wasting your time here fella. Nobody wants your logical reasonable take on our player. The judgement has been passed by the mob and hatecafe is in full effect.:rolleyes:

Bu the way I agree with you that he is decent when deployed correctly.
Alright ladies, calm down. Stop creating your strawmen.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If AWB was playing in France, with a YouTube video full of spider tackles you’d all be in creamyourself mode.
Now can we stop with the ridiculous degrading. He’s a good defensive right back who doesn’t fit in here because we need more from him attacking wise.
i also feel slightly sorry for him that he hasn’t progressed defensively because who’s he got to learn from? Bunch of clowns

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's a good slide tackler and that's it. Such a myth that's he's good defensively, he gets caught napping a lot and has complete lack of awareness of opposition players around him. He is crap.

mctrials23

If AWB was playing in France, with a YouTube video full of spider tackles you’d all be in creamyourself mode.
Now can we stop with the ridiculous degrading. He’s a good defensive right back who doesn’t fit in here because we need more from him attacking wise.
i also feel slightly sorry for him that he hasn’t progressed defensively because who’s he got to learn from? Bunch of clowns
A lot of people did cream themselves when we signed him. We ignored his issues going forwards and the fact his highlights reel was largely 1vs1 tackles and slide tackles.

As others have said, hes a really good defender if you expect to be defending deep a lot and don't expect much of an attacking threat from his side of the pitch. Hes just useless for any team with ambitions of more.

This is the sort of thing that a scouting team should really be flagging up. Perhaps they did, who knows.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We hate all of our players here at the CAF

Vapor trail

I completely agree, he's not a bad player AWB would play consistently in a united team of old I feel. The modern tactical elements of football now requires the right back to also play an inverted role and be on the ball far more frequently. This is something we seldom see outside the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

A move back to Palace would be good, I feel AWB would do well for any team outside the top four / five.

mctrials23

He's a good slide tackler and that's it. Such a myth that's he's good defensively, he gets caught napping a lot and has complete lack of awareness of opposition players around him.
I think thats because he has fallen into the United malaise. The jogging back instead of sprinting isn't a lack of awareness and we have fundamentally asked him to do something he is really bad at. Get forward and play as part of a defensive unit that will be fluid and not dug in at the back most of the time.

Yes hes very limited but in the right team he is a very strong defender. In the right team he doesn't need to be positionally aware because his job is very simple.

There are plenty of these sort of players in the PL who look very good in their team when the setup suits them but they would look crap out of position or in a team that expects a different type of performance from them.

golden_blunder

Staff
I completely agree, he's not a bad player AWB would play consistently in a united team of old I feel. The modern tactical elements of football now requires the right back to also play an inverted role and be on the ball far more frequently. This is something we seldom see outside the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

A move back to Palace would be good, I feel AWB would do well for any team outside the top four / five.
If he’d come into the side with Bruce, Pallister, Irwin etc his defensive weaknesses would have been ironed out and like Neville he could have worked on crossing.
But in this squad where he’s got Lindelof, maguire, telles to learn from.. not a chance.
he’d benefit from a less intense environment than OT with people who can give him the 1 to 1 guidance he needs

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think thats because he has fallen into the United malaise. The jogging back instead of sprinting isn't a lack of awareness and we have fundamentally asked him to do something he is really bad at. Get forward and play as part of a defensive unit that will be fluid and not dug in at the back most of the time.

Yes hes very limited but in the right team he is a very strong defender. In the right team he doesn't need to be positionally aware because his job is very simple.

There are plenty of these sort of players in the PL who look very good in their team when the setup suits them but they would look crap out of position or in a team that expects a different type of performance from them.
It is a fair point that the entirety of the Man Utd back four has been relegation quality this season so maybe I am being overly harsh on him. Still don't see a player though. He's terrible at dealing with crosses, his opposition player can easily find space behind him and he will be completely oblivious. He needs the ball right in front of him otherwise he's snookered.

golden_blunder

Staff
In his first few months everyone was saying that he was a wall and the right wing was locked down.
See what a few seasons of playing alongside Lindelof and maguire does to you?

Woodzy

In his first few months everyone was saying that he was a wall and the right wing was locked down.
I think most were in awe (and still are) with his tackling ability. After a while you kinda find out he's not actually too good at football.

I would still pick him over Dalot every time though.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
AWB stats for last season:
Top 30 percentile for goals and assists
Top 4 percentile for pass completion
Top 15 percentile for number of passes
Top 15 percentile for tackles
Top 6 percentile for interceptions
Top 4 percentile for blocks
Top 6 percentile for dribbles against
Top 25 percentile for successful pressures
Top 25 percentile for dribbles
Top 15 percentile for carries
Top 12 percentile for carries into final third
Top 25 percentile for miscontrols

It shows what we know: He’s exceptional at winning the ball back and driving forward with the ball. Two things which are very useful in a mid/low block transition quickly side ala Ole until this year.

However, he is only top 48th percentile for passes under pressure, bottom 4th percentile for long passes attempted, bottom 6th percentile for switches, only top 35 percentile for key passes and only top 45 percentile for passes into final third. He’s not good at progressing the ball from deep into the final third via progressive passes or switches of play. Two things ETH is going to want from his fullbacks when they invert into midfield and something the otherwise exceptionally average Dalot is actually good at. Hence why AWB won’t be here after this summer. However, like the vast majority of this squad he’s a talented footballer who can be a great asset in the right system - unfortunately for him that system isn’t ETHs.

Smores

His dodgy positioning and losing his bearings have been there since day one. Arguably it would have been ironed out through better coaching but i wouldn't say he's regressed much at all.

He's a bottom half of the league defender where he can just throw tackles about. There's always several defenders in the league who stand out for just that, most don't end up at a higher level.

Blood Mage

Palace actually try to play football now though, Vieira is a progressive manager.

Varun1

Not that am a football expert, but not everyone thought he was the dogs bollocks in the first few months. You could see the issues from the start, but what was most glaring was why the f he was brought in when he didn't suit the style we were aiming for. That was very clear from the beginning.

We can blame the lack of development on the coaches, but not tracking back is on the player! AWB would be a good player for a team outside the top 6-8, but at almost 25, I feel his ceiling is pretty low and was never worth £50m.

Its only natural that people don't remember the past very well, but we shouldn't just make it up either.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What makes him a good defender?

His best season with us was probably 20/21. But he was still not very good. Neither on or off the ball. In terms of «ball recoveries» for fullbacks he was in the 29th percentile in the PL. Meaning 71 % of the fullbacks in the PL made more recoveries than him. In my opinion, probably a reflection on how poor his positioning is.

His best asset was probably his «one-on-one» defending. And while his last ditch tackle is still great, he got figured out. He was in 20/21 in the 78th percentile with 52,5 percent success ratio. Good, but not great. And when he got figured out, he started losing his confidence more and more and became less aggressive (also a part of the game I appreciated).

He also really struggle to learn. He still dont have a clue how to defend a cross from the left side of the pitch.

Lindelof is ten times the defender he is. If Conte, Pep or Klopp had to chose between the two of them, there is not a chance in hell they would have picked AWB. Even if it meant they had to play Lindelof at RB. ;)

golden_blunder

Staff
Not that am a football expert, but not everyone thought he was the dogs bollocks in the first few months. You could see the issues from the start, but what was most glaring was why the f he was brought in when he didn't suit the style we were aiming for. That was very clear from the beginning.

We can blame the lack of development on the coaches, but not tracking back is on the player! AWB would be a good player for a team outside the top 6-8, but at almost 25, I feel his ceiling is pretty low and was never worth £50m.

Its only natural that people don't remember the past very well, but we shouldn't just make it up either.
What have I made up?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Palace actually try to play football now though, Vieira is a progressive manager.
And a practical manager too. AWB can play football, just don’t ask him to be the attacking outlet on the right without anyway winger infront too

golden_blunder

Staff
What makes him a good defender?

His best season with us was probably 20/21. But he was still not very good. Neither on or off the ball. In terms of «ball recoveries» for fullbacks he was in the 29th percentile in the PL. Meaning 71 % of the fullbacks in the PL made more recoveries than him. In my opinion, probably a reflection on how poor his positioning is.

His best asset was probably his «one-on-one» defending. And while his last ditch tackle is still great, he got figured out. He was in 20/21 in the 78th percentile with 52,5 percent success ratio. Good, but not great. And when he got figured out, he started losing his confidence more and more and became less aggressive (also a part of the game I appreciated).

He also really struggle to learn. He still dont have a clue how to defend a cross from the left side of the pitch.

Lindelof is ten times the defender he is. If Conte, Pep or Klopp had to chose between the two of them, there is not a chance in hell they would have picked AWB. Even if it meant they had to play Lindelof at RB. ;)
I personally think AWB is a better RB than Lindelof is a CB. They are 2 of the 3 I’d sell from the back line regulars

diarm

£15m or for free if they take Maguire with him sounds fair to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.