Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becks00

Is this like David Moyes trying to buy Everton players when he was our manager?

ducks for cover
Difference is the Ajax players we are being linked to have very good potential and nice footballing technique that is befitting of a top club. I think they would all be picked up from Ajax in the next 2 years anyway if we are not trying to buy them now.

Widow

• With De Jong, talks have intensified in recent weeks with MUFC firmly understanding that Barcelona is willing to sell the player. United put an initial offer in for De Jong at the start of last week and a second one at the end of last week
  • Barcelona asked about the availability of Harry Maguire, but Erik ten Hag wants to work with him and MUFC has no interest in selling him
  • John Murtough has been determined not to rush into paying outrageous demands and agents’ fees to those who think MUFC are desperate
  • Representatives of both clubs have met several times, first when Matt Judge, the outgoing United negotiator, and Murtough met Mateu Alemany and Jordi Cruyff from Barcelona months back
  • the latest offer for Frenkie de Jong is believed to be €63M (£54m), with achievable bonuses which could take the total deal to €80M (£69m)
  • Barcelona’s willingness is not a judgment against Frenkie de Jong and his coach Xavi, who likes him as a player and a person. But Barça wants money in the bank. They have considerable debts
  • Judge is working through the final stages of his notice before Tom Keane, brother of former United footballers Will and Michael, joins as a consultant until the end of the transfer window
  • Barcelona’s central defence has been an issue for the club, with top-earner Gerard Pique now 35, while Samuel Umtiti and Clement Lenglet are expected to leave having been unable to establish themselves in the side.
  • Oscar Mingueza has not been consistent enough, the Catalan Eric Garcia was signed from Manchester City and is highly rated, but he is only 21 and was often criticised last season. The Uruguayan central defender Ronald Araujo, 23, was one of Barcelona’s best performers last season
  • United have also made an offer to 115-cap Danish international Christian Eriksen, 30, Eriksen is considering United’s offer
  • United have also received an approach from Fulham for midfielder Andreas Pereira. The Belgian-born Brazilian midfielder, who has been a success on loan at Flamengo in Rio de Janeiro, is expected to attract a fee of £10m. He is interested in the move back to the Premier League
  • United have another Brazilian on their radar, the Ajax winger Antony, 22, but the high price remains an issue
  • Dean Henderson has agreed to go on loan to Nottingham Forest

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
What the hell is going on.. This cant be right.

Ten Hag really wants a slow Maguire when pressing with a high line?? It does not make sense to me.
I guess it's okay to have one slower player as long as the ones around him have pace.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What the hell is going on.. This cant be right.

Ten Hag really wants a slow Maguire when pressing with a high line?? It does not make sense to me.
de Ligt is not very fast. Blind is not very fast. And EtH played both at CB for awhile.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ok i can understand that, but he is a bit shit defending also and has no decent defensive tactical awareness either?

I mean what is his strenghts?

Sell him while we can get anything for him i say.
If ETH feels he can work with him then who am I to judge.

Mmm-Qatarian

de Ligt is not very fast. Blind is not very fast. And EtH played both at CB for awhile.
The idea that centre backs playing in a high line need to be rapid is a complete myth. Dias and Laporte aren't particularly fast and they do just fine at City.

If your centre backs are regularly required to be chasing back then you probably aren't implementing a high line correctly.

Idxomer

The problem with Maguire's slowness is exacerbated by idiotic decision-making which is his biggest problem.

AlexUTD

Maybe these managers know more about footballers than plebs on a forum.
Careful dude, i have won Premier League 35 times and Champions League 23 times as a Manchester United manager on Football Manager!

Well De Ligt is is pretty quick compared to Maguire to be honest. Blind i agree on but i would say he is way better at passing the ball forward than Maguire.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

From the above

Maybe it was actually true :lol: :eek:
Mental if it’s true. Also mental that we didn’t entertain it given we’ve been haggling with Barca for FdJ for what seems like an eternity.

AlexUTD

If ETH feels he can work with him then who am I to judge.
True, i guess we have to trust in all of ETH decisions. If not what is the point.

Maguire was never gonna be sold, he is a reliable player in terms of fitness. We don't have many of those at the back
Good point, that is actually a strength in our defence! :lol:

Matt851

1) We had what was widely regarded as a positive window last year, but that's been largely forgotten because of the on field performances. Again, we're looking like having our 'long running' target signed by the end of June this year, positive and a sign of improvement.
2) We clearly are working on multiple signings at once, but we wanted to conclude the De Jong deal before really pressing on with them, probably for budget purposes.
On your first point, it's no good having a good window on paper if the players then don't perform. We also failed to strengthen our central midfield which was the position that needed strengthening the most. In the case of sancho we spent a couple of years chasing a player then didn't have a clue what to do with him.

In terms of us working on other signings. I don't really understand the logic. Could we not just work on the assumption we are going to sign de jong, then utilise the remaining national budget to progress other deals. Otherwise its extra clear to barca we need to get the de jong deal done any remaining business we want to do may happen very late

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source

We might still be interested in a midfielder regardless of De Jong and Erisken
Romano's guessing.

At best, he has a source that's told him United and Ajax are discussing something. From that point on, it seems to be guesswork what's being talked about behind closed doors. By bringing up three names, it gives him the best chance of being right about one of them.

If he had anything more concrete, the info would be more specific.
To clarify, none of this is new info, overall, but it has not been included in his columns in the past. This is all info that he's presented in his Tweets in the past but now gathered into this article. Unfortunately, the aggregators seem to be presenting this as new info.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah absolutely. It's self-fulfilling prophecy by now, but a carousel he can't get off because these same people pay his bills and hang on his every word.

I find it fascinating that he was/is a major cog in the Twitter scene being what it now is, but has also been consumed by the beast and can't tell a truth because of all the lies used to supplement any given week/run of Tweets/hype.

He's made his bed now, but I bet a part of him longs for the days when he did come across as an oracle of sorts when he did have contacts and inside scoops that provided insights he no longer can.
Just wondering, but what lies are you referring to here, and what are the truths that he can't tell because of them?

M4YON

LaLiga, Premier, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 agree to extend the transfer window by one day it will now end on September 1st at 23.59.

Last edited:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
On your first point, it's no good having a good window on paper if the players then don't perform. We also failed to strengthen our central midfield which was the position that needed strengthening the most. In the case of sancho we spent a couple of years chasing a player then didn't have a clue what to do with him.

In terms of us working on other signings. I don't really understand the logic. Could we not just work on the assumption we are going to sign de jong, then utilise the remaining national budget to progress other deals. Otherwise its extra clear to barca we need to get the de jong deal done any remaining business we want to do may happen very late
1) It's not the board's job to get the players to perform, we're speaking about the board and the recruitment team here.

2) How do you know what the remaining budget is before the deal is done?

Superden

im sure if barca offered a straight swap for FDJ / Maguire wed be all over it, as it is they couldve valued him at 10mill, (i would imagine that as they need the cash in the bank, its unlikely to be have much of a valuation), so you can understand us baulking at it, and also the briefing about how ETH wants to keep him. were not going to come out with anything else are we.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Romano's guessing.

At best, he has a source that's told him United and Ajax are discussing something. From that point on, it seems to be guesswork what's being talked about behind closed doors. By bringing up three names, it gives him the best chance of being right about one of them.

If he had anything more concrete, the info would be more specific.
Exactly, theres reports he wants to see the Preseason Pirlo in action too before selling him when theres a bid in from Fulham.

Matt851

1) It's not the board's job to get the players to perform, we're speaking about the board and the recruitment team here.

2) How do you know what the remaining budget is before the deal is done?
Well i would suggest that given we didn't sign a central midfielder last seasons summer transfer window couldn't be described as good. The board also appeared make the decision to sign Ronaldo and then landed the manager with the job of integrating him into his plans

On de jong, doesn't take a crystal ball to guess the approx final de jong to within €10m

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
  • Reports of an agreement between the clubs are "inaccurate".
  • However, talks are indeed progressing, and United feel confident about this coming to a positive conclusion.
  • Ten Hag has mitigated De Jong's concerns about coming to United.
  • No new signings involved in the June internationals would have started training this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.