Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
You seem confused. If you want us to sell Rashford for a fee then we should trigger his extension and sell in January or summer 2023.

If we want Rashford to stay then we should trigger his extension and tell him to show he deserves a longer contract which would get done in the summer. If he does earn a new deal you still have time to negotiate that renewal. You just have to set a deadline of say June and if it’s not done then he’ll be sold.

Either way the minimum we should do is trigger the extension.
To me this is common sense. The poster you replied to doesn't seem to have any of that, from the things they post.

Widow

Tier 2:
Unsurprising. Both would be in excess of a hundred million and both would want CL football. The talk about Vlahovic wanting to leave Juventus is surely just paper talk. Felix? There could be something in that. He hasn't looked happy for time now.

AFC NimbleThumb

To me this is common sense. The poster you replied to doesn't seem to have any of that, from the things they post.
Took a weekend & another poster that doesn’t read posts to pipe back up I see. It’s a shame as a forum people would rather throw insults than debate.

All Sass, no class. My @ works, grow a pair &/or move on. Back to transfers.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Unsurprising. Both would be in excess of a hundred million and both would want CL football. The talk about Vlahovic wanting to leave Juventus is surely just paper talk. Felix? There could be something in that. He hasn't looked happy for time now.
Vlahovic was definitely paper talk, but the Félix links were also being pushed by Cadena SER. However, they may have been doing so off of United's prior summer instead of anything more substantial, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're monitoring Félix's situation for the next summer transfer window.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sorry, I don't believe a word Florian has tweeted today. Clearly agent talk about choupo-moting and Bellingham is our top target, when his price tag is 150m? Not a chance both those things are true.

Gazza

Plettenberg seems to be reaching a little lately. Not sure how much credence can be put in this speculation regarding English clubs and their "number one targets".

saivet

Belligham is very good but at €150m it would be insanity. He has a higher potential but it just reminds me of Declan Rice in that he's a good player but the fee just makes no sense.

Telsim

I'd rather we don't get involved in the Bellingham saga at all. Spend smart, not hard. The issue with this club however is the "smart" part. Likely we will waste the entire window in a futile attempt, then panic stations once he goes elsewhere. To be honest, I've always thought there is zero chance he ever ends up here.

roseguy64

Best chance to get both Haaland and Bellingham was when we were competing with Dortmund. We're in a worse position now than then so tough to get him. Unless we have a great second half and finish in top 4 or win the Europa.

sparx99

Trigger that extension & you’re telling the player you have no real faith in him. Say we trigger it, when in his last year do you begin to negotiate?

I thought people would have learnt from real life examples like Herrera, Pogba & Lingard but it appears Caf members still live in a Football Manager simulation.

You either sell or extend.
The problem has never been using one year extensions. The problem has always been that we’ve been unwilling to then sell those players for a reasonable fee once we triggered it. Pogba and Lingard both had options but we hoped to extend their deals or simply decided to keep them for squad depth. Both were poor decisions.

All sass, no comprehension. Who wants Rashford on £300k?

We’re at the point where you either sell Rashford, to you know make money or we negotiate a new contract. I agree we’re better off without the players mentioned, they are however prime examples of why your idiotic Football Manager approach to contracts doesn’t work. Tell you what would have been better than activating the extra year in their contracts for them to leave on a free? Selling them to fund other transfers.

I’m not going to get into a debate of Rashford’s form, it’s clear what side of the fence you fall on but the extra few games between now & spring are going to tell us very little about his actual ability if it’s only ‘a couple of decent months form every 2 years’ anyway. By all means argue we should extend the contract to sell him but for someone you clearly don’t rate why the hell would you want to negotiate in the Spring anyway.

You [& in fairness others] have been provided multiple examples of players people didn’t rate having their contract extensions triggered only to bite us on the arse & you still can’t see past your own keyboards.
You say we are at the point where we either extend or sell Rashford. But obviously the only way to get a fee is by triggering his extension. If we don’t he leaves for free in the summer. We aren’t going to do a 4-5 year contract then sell him.

Obviously Lingard in particular should have simply been allowed to leave on a free. We triggered his extension then wouldn’t sell him for anything reasonable. Instead we paid a year of wages and then lost him for free anyway.

Everyone on here should be in agreement that we either extend Rashford long term OR if we are to sell him then the only way we get a decent fee is by using his 1 year option. Without the option we may get £5-10m based on the likes of Zakaria moving to Juve last January. With the option triggered Rashford probably goes for £25m+ in January or the summer.

AFC NimbleThumb

The problem has never been using one year extensions. The problem has always been that we’ve been unwilling to then sell those players for a reasonable fee once we triggered it. Pogba and Lingard both had options but we hoped to extend their deals or simply decided to keep them for squad depth. Both were poor decisions.
In Pogba’s situation [hate him or love him] the one year activation was specifically the problem though as he stated he’d have negotiated earlier so by the time we’d activated it he had no intention of signing a deal.

Activation clauses in & of themselves indeed are not the problem. Manchester United football clubs application of them certainly is though, I chose to reflect on previous cases rather than the idyllic scenarios people are creating in here.

You say we are at the point where we either extend or sell Rashford. But obviously the only way to get a fee is by triggering his extension. If we don’t he leaves for free in the summer. We aren’t going to do a 4-5 year contract then sell him.
I specifically said in relation to ‘the poster’ [as that’s what we’re doing here]. . .

the extra few games between now & spring are going to tell us very little about his actual ability if it’s only ‘a couple of decent months form every 2 years’ anyway. By all means argue we should extend the contract to sell him but for someone you clearly don’t rate why the hell would you want to negotiate in the Spring anyway.
I’m criticising the idea you’d activate the clause now, in November with 2 months to January, to then start negotiations in the Spring. Surely you just start them now & avoid the potential ill will, should we get to December then we’ll be forced to extend but we are not there yet. You’re not discussing what is written.

Despite the strange infatuation some have with Rashford leaving the club, we won’t be in a position to just sell him at the end of the season should we put ourselves in a position where he doesn’t sign by then. His current back ups include Elanga [enough said], Pellestri [even less needs saying] & a young Argentinian. If we find ourselves in December/January activating the clause we’re further up against the clock with only one outcome that favours the squad. The idea the club hold the upper hand is fanciful. I’m not a particularly big fan of Shaw but the same decision needs making there too.

Obviously Lingard in particular should have simply been allowed to leave on a free. We triggered his extension then wouldn’t sell him for anything reasonable. Instead we paid a year of wages and then lost him for free anyway.
Lingard should have been sold to West Ham for a fee. Another example of why I don’t trust the club with these activation’s.
Everyone on here should be in agreement that we either extend Rashford long term OR if we are to sell him then the only way we get a decent fee is by using his 1 year option. Without the option we may get £5-10m based on the likes of Zakaria moving to Juve last January. With the option triggered Rashford probably goes for £25m+ in January or the summer.
. . .
We’re at the point where you either sell Rashford, to you know make money or we negotiate a new contract.
By all means argue we should extend the contract to sell him
You remember the first post you quoted that said ‘preaching to the converted’. . . I’m not sure why you’re so insistent on disagreeing with someone you’re parroting.

We need to sort out his new contract, not posture for people on forums.

This isn’t the thread for this discussion, We can discuss in the sell or stay.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

Wan-Bissaka's value will decrease with every passing window we don't sell him. We need to accept the big loss on him and move him on. He's a ~£15million player at best.
You are probably right about 15.That said, I can see him recovering his career at a smaller club and get a lot better fast. Sell that idea and we could do 20-25.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wan-Bissaka's value will decrease with every passing window we don't sell him. We need to accept the big loss on him and move him on. He's a ~£15million player at best.
Its unlikely to even get that but I'm in agreement. Can't think of punters, maybe West Ham and the incoming Southampton manager might fancy him.

Deery

Dreary
If we buy anything except a striker/attacker in January we are complete morons…
A striker is likely to cost a small fortune and not many readily available in January, a backup right back would be a must if AWB goes.

Chairman Steve

AWB doesn’t even fit the modern full back stereotype. If this was 2005, he’d have plenty of suitors but he’s really limited at attacking and that doesn’t fly in this day and age.

I’d like to think our senior scouts purely got sacked for thinking he was the best option out of 80 right backs they shortlisted or whatever number it is, because what the feck. A more suitable, better right back was already at the club and for whatever reason Solskjaer wanted nothing to do with him (despite that player suited the way Solskjaer said he wanted to play!), bought AWB and played him every game possible.

But yes, a right back would be nice I guess but a new striker is paramount. The need for a right back has lessened due to Dalot. I’d go for Timber and kill two birds with one stone (another right back and another centre back in one player).

Erik the Red

You are probably right about 15.That said, I can see him recovering his career at a smaller club and get a lot better fast. Sell that idea and we could do 20-25.
The problem with every sale is that the player doesn't want to leave for lower wages, so the buying team will often have to pay a signing on fee to get a player in on wages that fit with their pay scale, which comes straight off the transfer fee. That's why we haven't been able to sell Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard, Maguire or AWB.

We need to bring in new players on normal wages, so that we can incentivise them with pay rises and increase the contract length at the same time, or sell. Tottenham have managed to keep Harry Kane for all these years by giving him pay rises to extend his contract, and no-one can afford to buy out a long term contract. Their lesser players are not given stupid contracts.

Also, fans need to realise that the Glazers have allowed hundreds of millions to be plowed back into the club to buy new players (when they could have taken extra dividends). They are not the problem, the problem was that we had a marketing guy running the show, and there was no continuity on the footballing side. Every couple of years we have had a new manager, with different styles, who want to replace all the existing playing staff who are suited for a different style of play, and we haven't been able to shift the Woodward or the deadwood. We are making progress, but we still need a DoF to give us this direction, and he, together with his scouting team, should be specifically identifying players for ETH's style of play. Then, when we do need to replace ETH, it will be a like for like change.

Erik the Red

Any self respecting professional should. Wonder what we can recoup though. . . How much was he again? £10mil-ish?
If he goes, we should be able to recoup most of that. He is now a regular Uruguayan international, and is playing OK. I am more worried about Amad, who cost a lot more, and has shown no signs of breaking through. For Amad money, we should be getting the next superstar, not someone who needs years of loans. As for Elanga, he came through the academy, so didn't cost anything, but I am certainly not convinced by him, and would happily see him move on. I think he is like Dan James level, not bad, just not the level we should be targeting.

captaincantona

A striker is likely to cost a small fortune and not many readily available in January, a backup right back would be a must if AWB goes.
Add together a transfer fee for AWB, what are no doubt the silly wages we are paying him and Ronny’s wages to boot…we will easily be able to afford an attacker. You have to remember - the concrete links for attackers this summer were not the big name 80/100 million signings (Osimhen, Martinez, Nkunku) the concrete links were for much lesser names that could fit ETHs way of playing such as Arnautovic, Brobbey, Sesko (€15-20 million).

I can see ETH having a Haller/Tadic signing in mind and making it work. Asensio, Depay, Lozano, Belotti, all getable…fuking hell…Danny Ings would improve us!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Got to keep the standards high in the transfer forum on redcafe.net
Correction: Transfer Tweet threads. Feel free to share this in Luke Shaw's transfer thread.

On Talbot himself, his reports have very, very rarely been corroborated by the more reliable journalists. A few days back, he reported on Martin Terrier's links to United via Graeme Bailey. No one reliable either from France or England has reported on this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doesn’t seem to have been posted.
If that's what his options are he could well sign a deal that lowers his wages. He most definitely has not been worth 150K a week for the duration of his contract. He's been one of our better performers of late, but taking the long view, we cannot be taken to the cleaners every single time. The Bruno upgrade should be the last time we display that folly.

Status
Not open for further replies.