Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Catalandevil

How would it work when the Onana the keeper is a better footballer than Onana the midfielder?
The plan is to confuse rivals:

Coach: Hey, don't let Onana get the ball, be next to him all time.
Rival player marks our keeper for 90 minutes.

city-puma

Sounds like a Wan-Bissaka in midfield.

Haven’t seen much of him at all.
He is pretty good and like a gem. But, there are many young players in similar level and potential. How much will they set the price? 30M?

SirScholes

Statistically one of the best defensively and only 21.

More complete tackles (78%) than Caicedo (58%), Rice (62%), lavia (39%)

Passing isn't the best completion rate, as is the carry stats.
Yer he’s the standard of player we are moving away from

Wrecking ralf

No. There was a message saying United are undecided. The owner of the forum was quite clear, until there is direction from United MG is of the menu.

this has been said too many times and ignored. So from now people will start receiving warning points which may lead to bans. Choose if this is the hill you want to die on.
I’d go straight to bans, too many warnings have been given in multiple threads. Nothing stops that conversation when some says something another poster doesn’t agree with.

Dazzmondo

I don't think he's That much better than McT, and that's from someone who's been repeatedly critical on these threads both of Scott and of the decision by the club not to let him go for reasonable money. He's younger and probably still better positionally overall, but Lavia looks a better bet to me out of the three...
Completely different type of player to McTominay. Scott's not a dm at all even though people keep acting like he is. All his best qualities come when he attacks the opponent's penalty area. The only reason we played him deeper is because we had literally no dm once Matic left.

I don't mind Onana that much as a backup for Casemiro. He's still young and by far Everton's best player. Amrabat's probably the better player of the two right now. Lavia's talented but quite different and would be expensive.

M16Red

I never said otherwise, just stated the stats about him.

If Ten Hag wants him, he must see something. I don't think mount is very good at all, but I really think this manager will get him playing good football.

scottser

I’d go straight to bans, too many warnings have been given in multiple threads. Nothing stops that conversation when some says something another poster doesn’t agree with.
It makes absolutely no sense to keep on banning this topic - it's the stonking great elephant in the tiniest of rooms. Would it not be sensible to have a thread for it, where all opinions no matter how stupid can be dumped in there and moderated from one place instead of all over the site?
Besides, wasn't the initial rationale for the discussion ban the fact that the police investigation was still ongoing? Exactly what harm can a discussion cause?

estel_manutd

It makes absolutely no sense to keep on banning this topic - it's the stonking great elephant in the tiniest of rooms. Would it not be sensible to have a thread for it, where all opinions no matter how stupid can be dumped in there and moderated from one place instead of all over the site?
Besides, wasn't the initial rationale for the discussion ban the fact that the police investigation was still ongoing? Exactly what harm can a discussion cause?
I shared your opinion initially, but I have come to agree with the mods that banning this topic till the club decides what to do with Mason is the right decision. We simply do not possess ALL the facts to pass judgement on what should happen with Mason, and folks on this forum and social media are waaay too invested in the outcome for some reason.

lysglimt

Scout
We need some players in the team who are destroyers....at the moment we only have Casemiro, and he lacks pace. Otherwise we will get overrun by skilled midfielders, which in my opinion is the main reason why we struggle against good sides.

sparx99

We need some players in the team who are destroyers....at the moment we only have Casemiro, and he lacks pace. Otherwise we will get overrun by skilled midfielders, which in my opinion is the main reason why we struggle against good sides.
City do fine with just Rodri. We need more quality on the ball not less.

This year we’ve gone from Bruno and Eriksen to Bruno and Mount matching up against De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva and Kovacic.

Put it another way:

Rodri vs Casemiro
Phillips vs McTominay
De Bruyne vs Bruno
Bernardo Silva vs Mount
Kovacic vs Eriksen

To my mind the creative midfielders are the difference for City not Casemiro & McTominay vs Rodri/Phillips because I’d take their three over ours sadly.

Dannn411

Yes we need destroyers but destroyers that can play football and are comfortable with ball to feet. All our midfielders to a man are erratic and inefficient on the ball. That's why we get overrun. We give it away so easily and so quickly as soon as we get it back.

Wrecking ralf

Ask the site owner who’s been told he can’t have discussions about it on the caf yet and has repeatedly asked people not to start or contribute to conversations about it. It’s not up for discussion until the club make their decision public. We need to respect that and more so, the wishes of the site owner since we are members of his site.

Reactions: Penna

SirScholes

But they need to be good on the ball, we aren’t Everton or West Ham who just want to avoid defeat
Might as well keep Fred or mctom if we just needed someone to run about

Zumbi

But they need to be good on the ball, we aren’t Everton or West Ham who just want to avoid defeat
Might as well keep Fred or mctom if we just needed someone to run about
Exactly. We need to improve our quality on the ball in midfield, not replace players who can’t pass to team mates consistently with other players that have the same issue.

RoLo

The plan is to confuse rivals:

Coach: Hey, don't let Onana get the ball, be next to him all time.
Rival player marks our keeper for 90 minutes.
I remember back in the day when this was a glitch in Champ Man. Set your striker to man mark the opposition goalkeeper and watch the goals roll in.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
A little less conversation, a little more tweeting please.

Wing Attack Plan R

Statistically one of the best defensively and only 21.

More complete tackles (78%) than Caicedo (58%), Rice (62%), lavia (39%)

Passing isn't the best completion rate, as is the carry stats.
I hope this is some kind of smoke screen from the club. Midfield destroyers who can't do anything once we have the ball - where have I heard this before?
Maybe it's all a feint within a feint from EtH to get DeJong out into the open.

McTerminator

MG talk forbidden - respect the owners rules
No but thats why they have insanely high wages, to make decisions like that. But my point is - they can postpone that decision 1 week, 2 months - there will be no new information to be had. They have all the facts that they ever will get - waiting 2 months wont make it any easier
I tend to agree, but then again, time is a great healer and people have short memories. Things Arnold will be acutely aware of.

Woziak

I’m quite aware. Your post didn’t make any point about financial sustainability rules and you incorrectly stated that the Glazers’ debt they used to buy the club is due in 2025. You used a lot of words to dance around being wrong. Shame someone thought it was worthy of a like.

Also, im a capital markets attorney. I do 9-10 figure bond deals regularly, it’s a huge part of my job. I’m quite aware of what the debt capital markets are like right now. I also don’t need links to the club’s 20-F. I draft those and other SEC filings daily, also a huge part of my job. The capital is there if they need to refinance and while the rates wouldn’t be great, they could do it and be fine if they think the club’s value will continue to rise.
They can not refinance with increasing interest rates and continue to take dividends as well, the part you have neglected is that the Glazers also own an NFL franchise which is also in debt to the tune of $373m, I’m well aware that a lot of companies like to use other peoples money to run businesses but the new FSP rules will mean that you can’t keep amortising your transfer fees because eventually they will catch up with you and your be kicked out of Europe, meaning you can not participate so therefore lose up to a £100m from your turnover, the glazers need to concentrate on their NFL franchise and get out while they can.

The first thing any sensible new owner will do is give the club a clean bill of financial health by paying off all the debt, or do you genuinely believe the Glazers who are already at war amongst themselves will continue to use as much debt as they can to run their NFL team and their EPL team without any consequences whatsoever from the existing sanctioning boards like PL, Uefa and FIFA ?

lysglimt

Scout
I tend to agree, but then again, time is a great healer and people have short memories. Things Arnold will be acutely aware of.
Yes but whether it's 18 or 20 months since it happened - that wont affect how people feel

lysglimt

Scout
Both are now under investigation.
Well - there is a huge difference. If we sign players for £50 million more than we are allowed according to FFP will worst case get us a small fine or a slap on the wrist. What Chelsea, and especially City are under investigation are some 10 respectively 100 times worse

Stevondo8

Can someone explain to me why we care about FFP when Chelsea and City clearly do not? Or, how do they get away with it?
Chelsea’s big spending in last year or so, it’s all on the length of contracts. Transfer fees amortized over length of contract, so £100m transfer on a 8 year contract, only £12.5m in this years accounts.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I get all that, but nobody has explained why we have to shut up when the club has apparently been taking the opinion of world and its dog in their investigations. And as for it not being up for discussion, it's being reported in the media so why is having an opinion on what's reported so harmful to either this site or the club?
Sorry, I just don't do well with the lack of transparency around this.
Please stop going on about it, it's tiresome. I'm sure there are many other online spaces where you can speculate. This is a free-to-join, privately-owned forum and the owner can make whatever decisions he wishes. All the mods and admins are in agreement, as it happens.

scottser

Please stop going on about it, it's tiresome. I'm sure there are many other online spaces where you can speculate. This is a free-to-join, privately-owned forum and the owner can make whatever decisions he wishes. All the mods and admins are in agreement, as it happens.
How dare you call me tiresome - you haven't seen me tap dance..
Fair enough I'll shut up now.

Anustart89

Chelsea’s big spending in last year or so, it’s all on the length of contracts. Transfer fees amortized over length of contract, so £100m transfer on a 8 year contract, only £12.5m in this years accounts.
That loophole was closed this summer. Their signings from last year are spread over the contract length but all signings from this summer onwards may only be spread over five years.