g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Real Name

This club really is clueless. Put it down to 40m and we'll a good few clubs wanting him. Now we'll be stuck with a useless CB and pay him dumb wages.
You're right, that's negotiation 101, put the lowest price possible as the first.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You're right, that's negotiation 101, put the lowest price possible as the first.
Of course I'm right even if you think you're being a smartass.

No point playing negotiation games when clubs won't even engage on the transfer in the first place. You're the same people who'll cheerlead Murtough leaving the negotiations instantly when being quoted a dumb valuation, yet you feel us putting ridiculous price tags on our unneeded scrubs is some 4d-chess move.

And this is not the first time we've done something like this btw. We priced out players like Romero and Rojo out of a move and they barely played after. Same shit with Lingard.

Just all around dumb decision-making but you delusional lot think we're somehow run like Bayern over here.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Of course I'm right even if you think you're being a smartass.

No point playing negotiation games when clubs won't even engage on the transfer in the first place. You're the same people who'll cheerlead Murtough leaving the negotiations instantly when being quoted a dumb valuation, yet you feel us putting ridiculous price tags on our unneeded scrubs is some 4d-chess move.

And this is not the first time we've done something like this btw. We priced out players like Romero and Rojo out of a move and they barely played after. Same shit with Lingard.

Just all around dumb decision-making but you delusional lot think we're somehow run like Bayern over here.
….& yet you’ll complain that we could have got more when we sell them for nothing

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
….& yet you’ll complain that we could have got more when we sell them for nothing
I like how you know what I'll say in the future. Great argument, shame it's complete bollocks, of course.

As I said, most of you are completely unrealistic and it is proven time and again and yet you persist.

30m net for Maguire (after paying off about 10m difference for his dumb contract) is a great return. It's also a profit under FFP.

One final point about the starting price which I'm sure will fall on deaf ears is that if you create a market aka a bidding war for a player, the price might be met, exceeded or we at least get better payment terms. Slap a 50m valuation (which might not be accurate but for the purposes let's assume it is because it's exactly the kind of dumb thing we're know for doing) and you basically remove a chance for a bidding war and are left to negotiate from a relative position of weakness.

NLunited

Why shouldn't we be able to get decent money for England CB Maguire? Just because he doesn't fit into our system, doesn't mean he won't look good for...errrr.

Anyway, maybe we can sell him to Chelsea, they like throwing their money around.
His Salary. If a big club wants him, we could sell him for at least 25-35 million. He is an international so there is that.

Woodzy

50M for Maguire

Of course it's different.

Chelsea held the cards because we were approaching them. With Maguire we are trying to shift him, if we value him to high then no one will be interested.
There will be a whole host of mid table clubs in for Maguire, and a fair few would definitely pay around £35m for him which is I expect a negotiated fee to end up being.

lysglimt

Scout
We are unlikely to receive more than 10m for him, though
Are you telling me a club like West Ham or Everton wouldn't want Maguire at £25 million ? West Ham even have players at 130-150k a week - so Maguire wouldn't need to drop much in wages to be well within their wage structure

astracrazy

There will be a whole host of mid table clubs in for Maguire, and a fair few would definitely pay around £35m for him which is I expect a negotiated fee to end up being.
We may disagree how we'd get there but £35M would be a great deal considering his wages imo

AndySmith1990

The club can value Maguire however much they like. If other clubs are interested in him then they can submit their own offer and negotiate from there, just as we do when going after players from other clubs

Alemar

Are you telling me a club like West Ham or Everton wouldn't want Maguire at £25 million ? West Ham even have players at 130-150k a week - so Maguire wouldn't need to drop much in wages to be well within their wage structure
Personally, I would be very happy if we sell Maguire for 25. And in this case it’s not even mandatory to buy a replacement this year - we can just have Bailly for his final year as 5th choice and then release him

Zed 101

Personally, I would be very happy if we sell Maguire for 25. And in this case it’s not even mandatory to buy a replacement this year - we can just have Bailly for his final year as 5th choice and then release him
I agree, although not sure how Bailly would feel given previous comments, the price tag I guess is in part down to his England tag, but IMO this is only going to decrease I can see England appearances dropping if he cannot get game time at Utd, may even be the main motivation for him to leave

dpansheth

I agree, although not sure how Bailly would feel given previous comments, the price tag I guess is in part down to his England tag, but IMO this is only going to decrease I can see England appearances dropping if he cannot get game time at Utd, may even be the main motivation for him to leave
Speaking of Bailly, is he gone yet?

Wezzaldo

Of course it's different.

Chelsea held the cards because we were approaching them. No one is approaching us for Maguire.
How do you know we’ve had no enquiries?

Chelsea didn’t hold the cards at all. They had a player coming into his last year who turned down a renewal. They wanted the deal as much as we did, yet set their price to negotiate from.

You set your position early to negotiate from, not complicated really.

Stevondo8

Maguire to west ham feels almost inevitable to me, just waiting for them to get that Rice money.

James35

Hopefully 50m is not too much to scare potential suitors, no way the club believe someone will pay that. Think a compromise could easily be met closer to 30-35m with bonuses.

come on someone please take him

astracrazy

How do you know we’ve had no enquiries?

Chelsea didn’t hold the cards at all. They had a player coming into his last year who turned down a renewal. They wanted the deal as much as we did, yet set their price to negotiate from.

You set your position early to negotiate from, not complicated really.
I fail to see how you can't see the difference between buying power and selling power in the two difference cases, but ok.

Devil You Know

The West Ham interest feels like 2+2=5 thinking. Journos seem to be coming up with links that make sense, rather than basing it on reality.

Anyway, if they really wanted to buy Maguire, I would have thought they'd buy him earlier, not waited until the entire world knew they had £105m burning a hole in their pocket.

Wezzaldo

I fail to see how you can't see the difference between buying power and selling power in the two difference cases, but ok.
Don’t try to be condescending. I know the difference exactly. You’re trying to make out that Chelsea were reluctant sellers, they weren’t, they needed to cash in on an asset that was going to leave for free, especially due to their need to recoup some of their crazy spending, we knew that, hence the negotiation.

Regardless of your opinion on him as a player, we aren’t ‘desperate’ to sell Maguire to balance the books.

To me it seems you don’t ‘get it’, but let’s just agree to disagree because I can’t be bothered wasting anymore posts debating with you.