Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sigh. We're linked with 2 players in and 5 players out. Something must happen soon.

I keep on coming here to check, thinking something concrete must happen today - and then tumbleweed yet again.
feckin hell

we’ve signed 2 players in the space of a month and you’re still eager for more in super quick succession. Bloody hell.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
feckin hell

we’ve signed 2 players in the space of a month and you’re still eager for more in super quick succession. Bloody hell.
It's amazing isn't it, some people are just never pleased.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
feckin hell

It's amazing isn't it, some people are just never pleased.
I’m with @Paul778 . It’s not called silly season for nothing. This window is so dull and uninspiring, the sale has seemingly gone to shite too. I need a saga!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 2:

Key point:

Ten Hag values McTominay's versatility and homegrown status, which is why he isn't put for sale.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 1:

Key points:

Ducker also mentions ten Hag's admiration for Sofyan Amrabat and the potential for United to pursue him should they make more money from their sales.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
There's more (Tier 3):

To clarify (due to a not-so-good translation), that €70m + €5m in bonuses is around what Manchester United should offer (give or take a few million Euros) to advance the negotiations and not necessarily seal the deal.

saivet

There's more (Tier 3):

To clarify (due to a not-so-good translation), that €70m + €5m in bonuses is around what Manchester United should offer (give or take a few million Euros) to advance the negotiations and not necessarily seal the deal.
Is there a reason why Atalanta are in a hurry?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Is there a reason why Atalanta are in a hurry?
According to Pedullà, it's because Højlund has personal terms agreed with us already. To add on my own conjecture, they probably want the money in soon enough so that they get more time to strengthen their team.

justsomebloke

Tier 1:

Key points:

Ducker also mentions ten Hag's admiration for Sofyan Amrabat and the potential for United to pursue him should they make more money from their sales.
I'm really, really hoping that 45m valuation of McTominay is negotiating posing, and that it works. Because if it's true that he and Maguire are seen as valuable squad players we'd hate to lose, something's wrong.

Highfather_24

I'm really, really hoping that 45m valuation of McTominay is negotiating posing, and that it works. Because if it's true that he and Maguire are seen as valuable squad players we'd hate to lose, something's wrong.
Yep. A 55M bid for both of them, we should take it and run. Get Amrabat for 20M, and another CB for 35M(Pavard/Disasi), and we're in a much much better position.

OmarUnited4ever

Chelsea quoted 40m to WH for Gallagher, so it stands to reason that United would quote 40m-50m to WH for McTominay since he is far more experienced and even the better player, if Gallagher is 40m player, then McTominay is at least worth that, remember that McTominay is HG, and on low wages compared to others in United, so he would fetch the most in the players we deem surplus to requirements.

btw, this is not an endorsement of McTominay from me, I am just saying, United is reasonable in asking for 40m or more, since a similar or lesser caliber of player is worth that much nowadays.

Dazzmondo

Chelsea quoted 40m to WH for Gallagher, so it stands to reason that United would quote 40m-50m to WH for McTominay since he is far more experienced and even the better player, if Gallagher is 40m player, then McTominay is at least worth that, remember that McTominay is HG, and on low wages compared to others in United, so he would fetch the most in the players we deem surplus to requirements.

btw, this is not an endorsement of McTominay from me, I am just saying, United is reasonable in asking for 40m or more, since a similar or lesser caliber of player is worth that much nowadays.
Is McTominay better than Gallagher? Gallagher showed far more at Palace than McTominay ever has imo. He's been poor at Chelsea but so has pretty much everyone, including Mount last season.

saivet

I tend to agree. I get it, but I find it astonishing that we could get £40m for McT. I understand it more with Gallagher as he's younger and had a really good PL season at Palace but him costing more than £40m is a bit bonkers too. This is simply the market now though.

OmarUnited4ever

Is McTominay better than Gallagher? Gallagher showed far more at Palace than McTominay ever has imo. He's been poor at Chelsea but so has pretty much everyone, including Mount last season.
Gallagher is clearly not good enough for top level team, as is McTominay, but both are alright for midlevel teams like WH or Brentford, and Chelsea is asking 40m for Gallagher, or Saints quoting 50M for Lavia who only played one PL season, then McTominay should be worth in the same region as Gallagher or Lavia, if McTominay was on his last year contract then yes his value diminishes (see Mount)

OmarUnited4ever

I tend to agree. I get it, but I find it astonishing that we could get £40m for McT. I understand it more with Gallagher as he's younger and had a really good PL season at Palace but him costing more than £40m is a bit bonkers too. This is simply the market now though.
Exactly, both aren't worth 40m, but that is what the market dictates now, Rice & Caciedo cost 100M today, and I am not saying Gallagher or McTominay are as good, they aren't even close, but clubs will see Rice going for 100m and say our players should be worth 40m at least

Dazzmondo

Gallagher is clearly not good enough for top level team, as is McTominay, but both are alright for midlevel teams like WH or Brentford, and Chelsea is asking 40m for Gallagher, or Saints quoting 50M for Lavia who only played one PL season, then McTominay should be worth in the same region as Gallagher or Lavia, if McTominay was on his last year contract then yes his value diminishes (see Mount)
Lavia stood out like a sore thumb in a terrible Southampton team at the age of 18. To suggest that McTominay is comparable to him is utter nonsense, whatever about the Gallagher comparison. McTominay is a 26 year old average lower/midtable PL player. Even Gallagher is 3 years younger than him and as far as I'm concerned has shown more at club level to this point. Maybe McTominay will shine at a smaller club but he certainly hasn't shown anything particularly impressive at Utd. £30-35m would be more than fair imo.

Matt851

Agree the Gallagher valuation is silly but still think he has a higher ceiling than Scott and would attract more interest. There doesn't seem to be much competition for Scott so hard to imagine west ham going up to £40m. Its also worth mentioning that no one has actually offered 40m for Gallagher, if they want to sell him they are likely to need to reduce their price as we will with Scott. Chelsea also have very few centre mids so might want to keep him unless a silly offer comes in

LordSpud

If we can have sold Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Elanga by the end of the window and made upwards of 100m then I tip my hat to them this year.

Baxquux

We’ll sell 2 out of 4 of those and the highest bid for Fred so far has been £6m.
I'm concerned that McT is overvalued by the club, given some of the basic flaws in his game when it comes to top bracket front-foot play (anticipation, showing for the ball, ability against the press), but there's plenty of evidence that a newly cash-flush west ham/moyes actually like him (and can obviously offer him 1st team football in a style better suited, with European football), so I genuinely think he might well go.

If Fred is wanted by Saudi sides (which seems plausible) and Fulham are, as reported from various quarters, also interested - at least enough to drive an auction - then we can get 15m for him minimum. I'm wary of counting on this club's transfer arm to do anything efficiently, but in principle we should be able to make 50m off the two of them without too much haggling, if we've got enough insight to see that they won't work well longer term for what ETH's trying to do. Scott is also academy-developed, so his FFP value is strong, which should be an extra incentive.

Paul778

feckin hell

If we can have sold Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Elanga by the end of the window and made upwards of 100m then I tip my hat to them this year.
100m? Of those four I think the 15m Elanga went for will be 2nd highest, so that's going to be pushing it. I'm going to guess 65m for the lot.

Of course, we still have Hendo and DVB to add to the list, so you might get 100m if you add those two in as well.

justsomebloke

I don't know, are they really similar quality though? Gallagher has at least proven he can be a key player for a mid- to lower-half team. I'm not sure I'd assume McTominay could be that.

OmarUnited4ever

Lavia stood out like a sore thumb in a terrible Southampton team at the age of 18. To suggest that McTominay is comparable to him is utter nonsense, whatever about the Gallagher comparison. McTominay is a 26 year old average lower/midtable PL player. Even Gallagher is 3 years younger than him and as far as I'm concerned has shown more at club level to this point. Maybe McTominay will shine at a smaller club but he certainly hasn't shown anything particularly impressive at Utd. £30-35m would be more than fair imo.
A lot of players didn't show anything in particular to be worth the fees that they either go for or are quoted other clubs too, again I am not saying anything about McTominay's ability here, just what other players can go for, and Lavia didn't show anything in particular to be worth 50M, he is a gamble at 30M and a higher risk at 50M.

Not to derail the thread, my original point is that it is not crazy for United to demand 40m or more for McTominay.

OmarUnited4ever

I don't know, are they really similar quality though? Gallagher has at least proven he can be a key player for a mid- to lower-half team. I'm not sure I'd assume McTominay could be that.
On the bolded, so because Gallagher did well for Palace, does that make him worth 40M, certainly not, and as for McT, he was an integral part of Ole's 2nd finish if my memory serves me right, so surely he would be good enough for teams in the higher end of midtable or below top 6, just look at A.Pereira, he did well for Fulham who finished in top 10.

The fee is indeed too much, but other teams demand same fees for for similar level players, we are not talking about top class players here, yet you see numbers north of 40m being quoted for them

Status
Not open for further replies.