Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Levi1

Yeah Kane is the guy we should be prioritising spend the budget on instead,reason being because he's best striker we can get. Surely we can find a cheaper midfielder than Mount with similar attributes
True. But even better than walking away from Mount in favor of Kane > is walking away from both of them! It was all fun and games while we were the wealthiest club in the world- we could afford to overpay on every transfer. But now with FFP biting, we can no longer afford to thought of as a soft touch, who will give in and pay the sticker price. Tell Levy and Boehly that we'll see them in January!!!!!!! I'd be prepared to stomach no transfers whatsoever this year and we play the kids more, lose out on champions league next year etc, if it means that clubs stop taking advantage of us, though I don't think it will come to that. Every other club manages to do business without buying the players on the cover of Fifa 2021-24

Reactions: Cheimoon

croadyman

True. But even better than walking away from Mount in favor of Kane > is walking away from both of them! It was all fun and games while we were the wealthiest club in the world- we could afford to overpay on every transfer. But now with FFP biting, we can no longer afford to thought of as a soft touch, who will give in and pay the sticker price. Tell Levy and Boehly that we'll see them in January!!!!!!! I'd be prepared to stomach no transfers whatsoever this year and we play the kids more, lose out on champions league next year etc, if it means that clubs stop taking advantage of us, though I don't think it will come to that. Every other club manages to do business without buying the players on the cover of Fifa 2021-24
I would pay up for Kane,doesn't bother me in the slightest it's filling Levy pockets

Matt851

Why is this club run so stupidly? 50m is way too much already.
Our whole transfer operation still seems pretty third rate. We either don't have a good scouting network, or don't utilise it properly and we seem overruliant on our manager identifying players because our dof isn't up to the job

Kostov

Our whole transfer operation still seems pretty third rate. We either don't have a good scouting network, or don't utilise it properly and we seem overruliant on our manager identifying players because our dof isn't up to the job
Not just that, a bit of common sense and strategy is being needed. Mount is hardly Kane or the final peace of the jigsaw, and he has a year left on his contract and reportedly doesn't want to sign a new one. So who has the upper hand here? According to the idiots conducting business for the club, it's Chelsea.

Ole'sattheWheel

Why is this club run so stupidly? 50m is way too much already.
I think it’s kinda smart to drag this one out. Nobody else wants Mount and he has a year left. The longer it drags out the more Chelsea’s price drops imo. I think we’ll end up getting him for under 50 in august

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think it’s kinda smart to drag this one out. Nobody else wants Mount and he has a year left. The longer it drags out the more Chelsea’s price drops imo. I think we’ll end up getting him for under 50 in august
The rate they are selling players and getting money in or wages off the books, not sure they will be that desperate.

Kostov

50m is already a great deal for them, and they are greedy. August should be 40m tops or we get him for free next year. Invest those 50m on Kane or another expensive striker and we have done much better.

philipos

OK, I get it, but to all the people who called me out over referring to Keane as British, none of you noticed the other stretch, that the point I was making of the success we have had with British midfielders, and the person I was comparing to Keane was none other than Republic of Ireland star Declan Rice!!!!
If you were using “British” as short for “British Isles” then you were correct as the RoI is part of the geographical landmass of the British Isles!

Judas

Open to offers
The rate they are selling players and getting money in or wages off the books, not sure they will be that desperate.
This is the major issue with the waiting strategy. At the moment Chelsea could sell the tea lady and somehow receive 50m. So the idea they’ll get nervy and cave probably isn’t going to pan out in our favour.

TMS

The idea that Dortmund are interested with a decent fee worries me. I'd probably take the money, but with a buy back clause as if he puts it together Hannibal could be absolute class.

Steve Bruce

I agree, if he is to be sold, we need a buy back clause. If's he going for 15m a buyback clause of 25/30m is more than sufficient.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He is the biggest talent we have. I'd only sanction a loan or a sale with a very low buyback clause.
Amad has done more at a similar level so he's probably higher up the ladder when naming our talents, but in that midfield hybrid role we seem to be looking for Hannibal could be really special

AndySmith1990

He'd do well in an easier league like this. Don't think he'll make it here.
If crap like mctominay and lingard can amass so many appearances for United, I don't see why a talented player like Hannibal can't become more than good enough to become a regular in the first team

Herman Toothrot

If crap like mctominay and lingard can amass so many appearances for United, I don't see why a talented player like Hannibal can't become more than good enough to become a regular in the first team
I'm guessing because the coaches don't think he's good enough and we're raising money to bring in quality over players who might be 'more than good enough' to be as good as Lingard or McTominay.

Asger

I'm guessing because the coaches don't think he's good enough and we're raising money to bring in quality over players who might be 'more than good enough' to be as good as Lingard or McTominay.
More Weghorts, Malacia and Van de Beek! :drool:

sparx99

Amad has done more at a similar level so he's probably higher up the ladder when naming our talents, but in that midfield hybrid role we seem to be looking for Hannibal could be really special
It’s easier to shine as a forward than as a CM though. Highlights of goals and assists impress more than tackles and tidy passing.

I’m not sure when it happened but people seem to have given up on Mejbri and all he’s done is show steady progress in my eyes. I’d sell Fred and bring Mejbri into the first team squad as his replacement.

Also, we paid £10m for him so €15m would just about be our money back. This is one case where we should be demanding double that fee as we have no need to sell and he’s still got a lot of potential.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It’s easier to shine as a forward than as a CM though. Highlights of goals and assists impress more than tackles and tidy passing.

I’m not sure when it happened but people seem to have given up on Mejbri and all he’s done is show steady progress in my eyes. I’d sell Fred and bring Mejbri into the first team squad as his replacement.

Also, we paid £10m for him so €15m would just about be our money back. This is one case where we should be demanding double that fee as we have no need to sell and he’s still got a lot of potential.
I think it's the poor placement of his loan to Birmingham last season. He was in a side that didn't play to any of his strengths and didn't start often enough to make people think he can take the next step.

I'd either sell with a buy back or loan him out again. He needs a solid season of being a first team regular starter where he shines before he comes into our squad I'd say.

Fox outside the box

Because fans massively over rate young players based on ignorance and sheer optimism. Whereas players like McTominay are then quickly discarded. He's not 'crap' that's just utter garbage. There's a huge grey area between not being good enough for the direction Manchester United are going and just being 'crap'.

Nothing new, this has happened for years and every couple of years there are a few players who fans obsess about getting into the first team, moan that they aren't getting more chances and they go on to have really average careers and nobody ever thinks about them again. Majority of our fans will only have seen the likes of Hannibal in YouTube videos or tiktok clips.

Realistically very few will have actually watched him over an extended period of time and formed an objective analysis of him. Same with the very long list of players that people insisted must be in the first team but have now completely forgotten about.

Fans on average are the absolute worst analysers of football and yet stomp about with such deluded arrogance about their knowledge.

Almost all of the time they don't get the chances because they just aren't good enough and I'd very much trust ETH in his opinion on this over literally any United fan. He's seen and knows just so much more, of he decides he's not up to the first team then until he goes to Barca or something and absolutely smashes it, I'll assume his judgement is alright.

Funny because once upon a time, fans will have been saying what you're saying about Hannibal but it will have been about Jesse.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Because fans massively over rate young players based on ignorance and sheer optimism. Whereas players like McTominay are then quickly discarded. He's not 'crap' that's just utter garbage. There's a huge grey area between not being good enough for the direction Manchester United are going and just being 'crap'.

Nothing new, this has happened for years and every couple of years there are a few players who fans obsess about getting into the first team, moan that they aren't getting more chances and they go on to have really average careers and nobody ever thinks about them again. Majority of our fans will only have seen the likes of Hannibal in YouTube videos or tiktok clips.

Realistically very few will have actually watched him over an extended period of time and formed an objective analysis of him. Same with the very long list of players that people insisted must be in the first team but have now completely forgotten about.

Fans on average are the absolute worst analysers of football and yet stomp about with such deluded arrogance about their knowledge.

Almost all of the time they don't get the chances because they just aren't good enough and I'd very much trust ETH in his opinion on this over literally any United fan. He's seen and knows just so much more, of he decides he's not up to the first team then until he goes to Barca or something and absolutely smashes it, I'll assume his judgement is alright.

Funny because once upon a time, fans will have been saying what you're saying about Hannibal but it will have been about Jesse.
100% agree and only the best of the best talent (Garnacho & seemingly Mainoo will get chances)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

This. I can't think of any young player in recent years that we didn't want and ended up regretting getting rid of, despite the predictable outcry on the Caf.

sugar_kane

100% agree and only the best of the best talent (Garnacho & seemingly Mainoo will get chances)

Absolutely the right approach, the amount of average talent we've hyped up and overpaid only to then let go for peanuts in the last ten years is absurd.

newgiz

I remember how many times he has repeated the words 'Good is not Good enough' in his press conferences. So this isn't surprising and a very good approach.

We just have to be as ruthless in trimming the first team squad as well and generate some cash through sales.

sparx99

I love ETH but this doesn’t really make sense for the guy who bought Malacia and loves Weghorst.

MyBloodIsRed

Love that ETH is being ruthless (feels like Iqbal was first victim of this).

But man oh man... the club sale is really going to feck us this window isn't it? Looks like we might get Mount over the line but I feel like it'll be a Pellestri, Amad and Mount type of window... potential but nothing like getting Varane, Bruno, Casemiro, etc. :-(

edcunited1878

I love ETH but this doesn’t really make sense for the guy who bought Malacia and loves Weghorst.
He appreciated what Weghorst did for the team, but it was clear once Martial was semi-fit, he wasn't up to it.

And Malacia was fine for his first season and his low transfer value.

mctrials23

Malacia is decent and cost £13m or so which is peanuts and Weghorst was the best we could get on short notice for free and on low wages. Malacia was never going to displace Shaw.

Dazzmondo

Good to see our scouting team monitoring young talent like this. Would like to see us sign one of these young talents instead of just scouting them and never actually signing them like we usually do.