Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Robertd0803

While I think most of us would happily drop our pants at the thought of signing Caicedo, Im betting this is just game playing with us and Chelsea, that if they dont drop their price for Mount we will move for their number 1 target instead.

But Caicedo would be a wonderful signing.

AaronRedDevil

This would be the greatest transfer window move ever if united told Chelsea to go feck themselves and buy Caicedo.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I swear no one actually believes that United have moved on from this. This tactic of leaking to your journalists has hardly ever worked for United

MDFC Manager

We already have Casemiro. Too defensive in my opinion. Although, I would think it would be a great pairing at tough away grounds.
Hmm, from what I saw of him in the world cup, he has the skillset to comfortably play in the 8 position. I actually think a Caicedo Casemiro pairing would be more offensive than whatever we've played there last season.

Dazzmondo

We already have Casemiro. Too defensive in my opinion. Although, I would think it would be a great pairing at tough away grounds.
Caicedo can easily be an 8 imo, in fact I think he will develop more and more into that role in the next few years whether that's at Utd or not. He's too talented on the ball to just stay so deep and keep things simple.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Surely anyone we go after now will know they are sloppy seconds and weren’t the first choice. Caicedo will cost even more than what Mount would as well. It seems we won’t sign anyone and it will be low ball bids on players we already know the price for thinking we will get a bargain. Also something not right with how Chelsea are selling players, Kovacic for £30m no hassle or haggling, multiple Saudi deals for questionable amounts but no one wants any of our players. Surely someone wants Maguire.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Good. Tell Chelsea to go and feck themselves
Worrying thing I read was that the bid was left on the table, still a chance Chelsea fold and accept it but ask for faster payments so it doesn’t look like they folded without getting something.

Zed 101

Whilst I am glad we are not bending over for Chelsea my fear is we end up signing nobody or messing around and in the end paying over the odds last minute instead

GwilDor

So, i’ll try to put my half-crazy thoughts into a coherent, understandable set of words. What if, Uniteds plans are these:
- we’re gonna get a new #1 GK. DDG already has a new deal in place, but we got an agreement in place to avoid publicity about it for negotiation tactical reasons. Makes it easier to get an acceptable price for a new GK. Can also see this being the reason of a Henderson sale not being public yet.
- warning, explicit contemt: We’re gonna reintroduce MG as a striker along with Rashford. It is a gamble, but used as a negotiation tactic to make everyone believe we’re in need of saving transfer funds for a new #9. This way, in stead of a solid starter like Kane, we can take a punt on a talent like Højlund. This is then, hopefully, a £40-50mill buy, in stead of a £100mill buy
-I do believe ETH really wants Mount. But this is one deal we can push forward by a window or 2, due to the #9 gamble. That also means it is a deal we’re more flexible in. We need to replace Eriksens role against low blocks, but maybe we can rather do Caicedo-Casemiro against top teams, and with Caicedo-Casemiro, give Casemiro more freedom against low blocks. He’s surely been more efficient offensively this year than i thought he had in his locker. Then, if it doesn’t work with Case-Caicedo combo in first 60’, you could put Eriksen on for one of them.
All while still keeping the possibility of giving Chelsea the finger and signing Mount on a free next summer. Worst case their deal for Caicedo this summer gets harder for them.

Its very 3D-chess like thinking i guess, but both cases would work for us. I’d love for ETH and our transfer team to make those kinds of plans, where we theoretically end up in win-win situations. Our transfer results have been pretty crap for a while, may it change.

NB: going to bed, no immediate replies please:wenger:

lsd

The Oracle
I see this more as a threat to Chelsea that we will sign a player they really want unless they sell mount

I think that's what it's meant to be but it's a bit of an empty threat really as we can't match what Chelsea would be bidding for Caciedo

Dannn411

I would easily pay £80m for Caicedo. I'd pay even more. I'd go as far as paying more than what we paid for Antony. If we're going in for Caicedo we need to not f**k about and put in a serious bid straight away. £70m-£75m and once they come back with their counter around the 80s or 90s, just pay the money and get it done.

edcunited1878

Nobody knows what United can and can't afford, so it's a non starter. Each player drives their own price point and it is clear that United value their next CM at 70M or below (depending on current contract and salary demands), GK at less than 50M, CB at less than 40M, and are prepared to pay around 60M or less for a CF.

That's about 220M spend and usually they have had a net spend of around 150M to 175M. New owners or not, signings will happen.

Would rather take the methodical and sustainable approach in acquiring players. United need to continue to gradually improve, especially in Europe. No expectations to challenge for the title next year. Another top 3, possible point improvement in the league, and possible quarterfinal in CL would be really good.

PL continues to get more competitive at the top, so sustaining a top 3 position is vital as the team continues to evolve.

RU Devil

Why do you think it's a trick? We may genuinely move onto Caicedo
It's possible that Mount was a priority until the price went past a certain point. As soon as the price was too high, maybe the thinking was better to spend a bit more for a player higher rated but at a price point United didn't want to meet. As soon as Chelsea pushed the price point too high, Caicedo became a similar cost-value ratio.

croadyman

It's possible that Mount was a priority until the price went past a certain point. As soon as the price was too high, maybe the thinking was better to spend a bit more for a player higher rated but at a price point United didn't want to meet. As soon as Chelsea pushed the price point too high, Caicedo became a similar cost-value ratio.
Yeah that might well be the case

Rauður Djöfull

So, i’ll try to put my half-crazy thoughts into a coherent, understandable set of words. What if, Uniteds plans are these:
- we’re gonna get a new #1 GK. DDG already has a new deal in place, but we got an agreement in place to avoid publicity about it for negotiation tactical reasons. Makes it easier to get an acceptable price for a new GK. Can also see this being the reason of a Henderson sale not being public yet.
- warning, explicit contemt: We’re gonna reintroduce MG as a striker along with Rashford. It is a gamble, but used as a negotiation tactic to make everyone believe we’re in need of saving transfer funds for a new #9. This way, in stead of a solid starter like Kane, we can take a punt on a talent like Højlund. This is then, hopefully, a £40-50mill buy, in stead of a £100mill buy
-I do believe ETH really wants Mount. But this is one deal we can push forward by a window or 2, due to the #9 gamble. That also means it is a deal we’re more flexible in. We need to replace Eriksens role against low blocks, but maybe we can rather do Caicedo-Casemiro against top teams, and with Caicedo-Casemiro, give Casemiro more freedom against low blocks. He’s surely been more efficient offensively this year than i thought he had in his locker. Then, if it doesn’t work with Case-Caicedo combo in first 60’, you could put Eriksen on for one of them.
All while still keeping the possibility of giving Chelsea the finger and signing Mount on a free next summer. Worst case their deal for Caicedo this summer gets harder for them.

Its very 3D-chess like thinking i guess, but both cases would work for us. I’d love for ETH and our transfer team to make those kinds of plans, where we theoretically end up in win-win situations. Our transfer results have been pretty crap for a while, may it change.

NB: going to bed, no immediate replies please:wenger:
Nothing off the field at United though points to the club leadership being that strategic

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Caicedo is younger more versatile and more talented,adding +15M to the Mount money makes more sense.But we are not known for making good decisions,I think we will go back and get Mount for ca. 57M+add on.

Speedicut75

Caicedo is younger more versatile and more talented,adding +15M to the Mount money makes more sense.But we are not known for making good decisions,I think we will go back and get Mount for ca. 57M+add on.
I think you're right, especially as Brighton have let it be known, after Caicedo has recently resigned, that they have expectations of 100M plus for the midfielder.

Mou Mou Land

I do love the idea that after being absolute laughing stocks in the transfer market for ten years, we suddenly are turning into a team of tenacious negotiators. We will sign no-one of note this year with the promise of jam tomorrow again................

And at the start of the season, the Glazers will still be involved as part of the stellar performing INEOS Sports group.