Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Tier 2:
Yeah whatever. If he’s prepared to move to Arsenal, he’s prepared to move to United. A couple of decent seasons from the gunners, but no trophies, doesn’t hide the fact that United are twice the size and prestige. Not that I’d sign him anyway. His best position now is right back, and with Dalot on the squad, I think we have more important positions to fill. We need young and hungry players ready to take the next step to stardom, not a 29 year old utility man looking for a big final payday.

If he was available for a reasonable fee and wanted a reasonable salary, he’d be a good signing. I’m talking 25m and 150-175k a week. But they are going to want 50m for him plus he’s going to demand about 300k a week I’d bet. Not worth it. Not even a little bit. He’d be better than Casemiro currently is, but in 2 years we’d be having the same conversation about him that we are currently having about Cas.

lysglimt

Scout
Matic is a good comparison. Koopmeiners is also a good age for a central midfielder to come in and play alongside Mainoo. I’m enamoured by Joao Neves but two under-20 central midfielders playing regularly seems unlikely.
Well I would not say Matic is a good comparison - Koopmeiners is a much more attacking midfielder than Matic. Matic has scored 30 goals in his entire career, Koopmeiners scores an average of 10+ goals pr season.

sparx99

Well I would not say Matic is a good comparison - Koopmeiners is a much more attacking midfielder than Matic. Matic has scored 30 goals in his entire career, Koopmeiners scores an average of 10+ goals pr season.
There is more to it than the way they play. In terms of the way they cover the ground, physical stature etc.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

You're mad if you think anyone is going to pay much more than 35m. To be honest it's more than I expected we'd be getting.
If he goes on a madness to the end of the season then perhaps his value will be higher but he's incredibly inconsistent. Would be very lucky to get anything above 20 mill in his current state.

Withnail

The only way I'd be happy to see Sancho in a United shirt again, would be after an apology to Ten Hag, an admission of his own immaturity and genuine acknowledgement of his personal responsibility to the club, his coach and his teammates moving forwards.

I'm not even hugely Ten Hag in. I'm unconvinced by a lot of his decision making in other areas, but not when it comes to Sancho, he went above and beyond and did nothing wrong in terms of the fallout. If Eric is to be let go, and he may well deserve to be come the summer, it would sit very badly with me to see Sancho then swan back into the club and team feeling vindicated.
I don't think that should even be enough. He's burnt his bridges now and was happy to tell the press he was training like a beast while waiting for a loan move, rather than apologising, working hard and helping out his team mates.

You don't need selfish players like that. He can only be sold now, as far as I'm concerned.

diarm

I don't think that should even be enough. He's burnt his bridges now and was happy to tell the press he was training like a beast while waiting for a loan move, rather than apologising, working hard and helping out his team mates.

You don't need selfish players like that. He can only be sold now, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah honestly it would take a lot for me to ever enjoy watching him in the shirt again. But I’m not going to say never if a young fella acknowledges his mistakes, apologises sincerely and strives to be better.

I don’t think he’s going to do that in any case so it’s all academic really.

NLunited

You are absolutely spot on there my friend. I feel the same way. I am massively unconvinced by ETH but he’s not wrong in everything. People rarely are. He’s handled the Sancho situation well, and if we are serious about sending the club in the right direction, then only contrition and an apology from Jadon will suffice. Along with a pledge to mature followed by demonstrable changes in attitude on and off the pitch.

If he doesn’t want to do that, and wants to be sold, we should not pay a penny of his future salary. If he needs to take a pay cut to get the move, then that’s on him. We shouldn’t be hit on the fee or supplement his salary because he wants to maintain the same earnings. He’s failed at United and made his bed, now he has to lie in it. We need to take a hard line to stop this sort of shit from happening over and over again.

Set the fee - say 50-60m depending on the payment structure - and then you can negotiate with the player. Do not come to us looking for concessions to meet his demands. It’s not going to happen. If his greed prevents him from making a move, we’ll loan him for 100% of his salary covered, plus a loan fee, or he can sit in the reserves until he apologises.

Set the stall out early, as our non-negotiable position; and move on to more important issues.

This may cause us some short term financial discomfort, but I believe it’s essential for changing the perception of our business practices and the type of player we are going to attract. We are currently a magnet for jokers and chancers. We need to make an example of Sancho.

Exactly. I am fundamentally opposed to giving any club a break on the terms of a transfer; but Dortmund? I have an extra special sense of determination to jack the price up on them. What goes around, comes around.

Like with anything in life; we have to be prepared to walk away from the deal and end up with no deal, in order for us to get the price and conditions we want. If we show we are keen or desperate to sell, we’ve already set ourselves up for getting fleeced, This should be the case for all our transfer negotiations. We want the player but only at a price we consider him worth. Crazy demands? Goodbye, we have other targets. The current executive body is too weak willed and transparent in their dealings to ever pull that off. So here’s hoping Berrada and Ashworth are worth their reputations.
No way is Sancho returning to MU, he doesn‘t deserve it.

Borussia can pay up or we park him at another club.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Don’t think Solanke will be worth the fee personally. Unless he’s in the last year of his contract or something? Although that didn’t help us much with Mount.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Source:
Hopefully he finds a new club and we split cordially with no compensation.

Would be a nice contrast to other players at United who have been happy to cash in the checks over the past 10 years after failing to establish themselves in the first 11.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Hopefully he finds a new club and we split cordially with no compensation.

Would be a nice contrast to other players at United who have been happy to cash in the checks over the past 10 years after failing to establish themselves in the first 11.
He's out of contract this summer isn't he? If not then I'd imagine it'll be a minimal fee to allow him to carry on playing.

Dazzmondo

If we're going for a striker, personally, I'd prefer us to go back in for Sesko. He's not one of Leipzig's most important players yet, but it's clear when you look at his goals per minute ratio, he's a top striker in the making. Think we should move quickly before he probably has his big breakout season next year. Leipzig haven't offered him the mins he was probably expecting, so I can see him being more open to being a squad player at Utd than he was when he first decided to move to Leipzig. Learn from the mistakes with Haaland. We have Hojlund now too, so it's not a big deal if Sesko has some off games.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If we're going for a striker, personally, I'd prefer us to go back in for Sesko. He's not one of Leipzig's most important players yet, but it's clear when you look at his goals per minute ratio, he's a top striker in the making. Think we should move quickly before he probably has his big breakout season next year. Leipzig haven't offered him the mins he was probably expecting, so I can see him being more open to being a squad player at Utd than he was when he first decided to move to Leipzig. Learn from the mistakes with Haaland. We have Hojlund now too, so it's not a big deal if Sesko has some off games.
Or learn from the mistakes of Werner, Weghorst, Modeste, Andre Silva, Kalajdzic, Jovic etc that tell us that Bundesliga goal output is pretty close to worthless.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You make it sound like you would have Hojlund as understudy to him

Dazzmondo

You make it sound like you would have Hojlund as understudy to him
Nothing in my post suggests that. Exactly the opposite in fact since I said he'd probably be more open to being a squad player. We're clearly looking for another striker in the summer. I was just saying Sesko would be my first choice.

Dazzmondo

Or learn from the mistakes of Werner, Weghorst, Modeste, Andre Silva, Kalajdzic, Jovic etc that tell us that Bundesliga goal output is pretty close to worthless.
Feel free to suggest who you think should be the striker we go after

chay chay okocha

I've not yet seen it mooted, but I like the idea of Jarrod Bowen. I think he is a quality player, who might be in the right time to attempt a step up into a CL quality squad. Would simultaneously fix our right wing issue, and has shown the ability to play as a make shift striker, which would allow us to keep Hojlund as our first choice striker. Apparently a big United fan as well, and one which we should be able to tempt into a move, even given our current circumstances.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
For that kind of signing, where it's likely we'd just be getting a backup, I'd back our new recruitment people to make a fairly cheap under-the-radar type signing, possibly from South America or one of the smaller European leagues, as with Alvarez for City or half of Brighton's signings.

I don't watch anywhere near enough football to even guess who exactly that would be though, sorry. I just think we should look at tools and raw talent (like we did with Hojlund, but at a lower price bracket), rather than just picking up whatever young striker is currently putting up numbers in a second rate league. Most of the recent examples I can think of (especially strikers from the German and Portuguese leagues) haven't been able to translate that to better competitions.

Dazzmondo

I've not yet seen it mooted, but I like the idea of Jarrod Bowen. I think he is a quality player, who might be in the right time to attempt a step up into a CL quality squad. Would simultaneously fix our right wing issue, and has shown the ability to play as a make shift striker, which would allow us to keep Hojlund as our first choice striker. Apparently a big United fan as well, and one which we should be able to tempt into a move, even given our current circumstances.
I think Bowen is great, but I'm not sure rw really is a problem for us anymore tbh. I'd personally like us to just continue with Garnacho there. I really do think he's an exceptional talent for his age. He's been forgotten about a bit with how great Mainoo's been, but he's put in some big performances and inconsistency is always going to be a reality with any player that age, no matter their talent.

Also, Bowen will be nearly 28 by the start of next season. Had he been younger, maybe I'd be more open to it. He is a great player though, I can understand the thinking behind it. I expect we'll keep Hojlund as our first choice striker regardless, but he has picked up a few knocks already which is a bit of a concern. We definitely need a natural striker we can rely on when he's unavailable.

Dazzmondo

For that kind of signing, where it's likely we'd just be getting a backup, I'd back our new recruitment people to make a fairly cheap under-the-radar type signing, possibly from South America or one of the smaller European leagues, as with Alvarez for City or half of Brighton's signings.

I don't watch anywhere near enough football to even guess who exactly that would be though, sorry. I just think we should look at tools and raw talent (like we did with Hojlund, but at a lower price bracket), rather than just picking up whatever young striker is currently putting up numbers in a second rate league. Most of the recent examples I can think of (especially strikers from the German and Portuguese leagues) haven't been able to translate that to better competitions.
If Sesko was 26 or 27, maybe I'd understand your scepticism, but he's only 20. Also, he was scouted by our recruitment team when he was in the Austrian league. I'd expect he'd be relatively cheap still. I'm not suggesting we should pay £50m+ for him. I don't personally see much downside in roughly £30m for a young striker with a good goals/min ratio, who we've extensively scouted for years now, who won't even have the pressure of needing to be our main goalscorer.

Also, while gems can potentially be found from any league, it should be noted that the German league is of significantly higher quality than most other leagues. There's not really any reason to believe that an 18-year-old striker coming from the Danish league would outperform an 18-year-old striker coming from the Bundesliga.

You've listed some failures but there's also KDB, Son, Berbatov, Haaland, Aubameyang, Dzeko, Ozil, Sane, Kompany, Ballack, Firmino, Gundogan and Bellingham. Bailey and Diaby have both done very well for Villa this year too. Akanji, Havertz, Konate, Awoniyi and Bella-Kotchap have all been pretty good too tbh even if you want to say they haven't been excellent.